Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-11-2020, 04:29 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 04:02 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote: With all due respect, you're letting your fear speak for you.  Anyone who is at risk should absolutely try to do things that boost their immunity.  But what about all the people that died from other causes?  That's not imnhiportant?  Consider the amount of hype for the seasonal flu and the amount of deaths of 55,000 on average and compare it to the corona virus.  Based on the amount of hype, it has to kill at least 2, 3, 4 or more times as many people right?  Are you confident that it will?  

I've never seen anyone complain about the lack of outrage over the 55,000 flu deaths a year.  This is about control more than anything.  And fear is the best weapon to control plain and simple.
Knowing that the normal tendency is to freak out over any new infectious disease, Trump's ongoing effort to downplay COVID's seriousness hasn't helped. In fact, it's done nothing but fan the flames of fear in the general population. When fear strikes, people look toward leadership for answers. Just two weeks ago he said domestic cases could drop to five cases and potentially just 1-2 infected Americans. As of this afternoon, we're over 1,000 cases in the US. At best, Trump was off by nearly 200,000%.

Calm = fanning flames of fear?  #TDS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-11-2020, 03:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 03:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The biggest danger from this virus is to the economy more than to the health of Americans.  If you are age 60+ or have some health problems (particularly respiratory or blood pressure issues) then yes, it might be a bit more concerning.  Other than that it's not that big of deal.  It's going to eventually pass.

The hype and panic is getting out of control.

Yeah, sick people can go ahead and die. Where's my money?!

Whatever comrade mikey.  Wanting the economy to do well and not be impacted isn't about my personal money making gains.  It's about the health of the country in general.  Of course you really wouldn't care about that.  Unlike you I actually took an oath to protect and defend the country and our Constitution.  The oath has no expiration date.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Is it still just the flu though?

(03-11-2020, 04:36 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 04:29 PM)Gabe Wrote: Knowing that the normal tendency is to freak out over any new infectious disease, Trump's ongoing effort to downplay COVID's seriousness hasn't helped. In fact, it's done nothing but fan the flames of fear in the general population. When fear strikes, people look toward leadership for answers. Just two weeks ago he said domestic cases could drop to five cases and potentially just 1-2 infected Americans. As of this afternoon, we're over 1,000 cases in the US. At best, Trump was off by nearly 200,000%.

Calm = fanning flames of fear?  #TDS

You tried to buy toilet paper recently, JJ? Try to look past your hashtags.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-11-2020, 04:29 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 04:02 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote: With all due respect, you're letting your fear speak for you.  Anyone who is at risk should absolutely try to do things that boost their immunity.  But what about all the people that died from other causes?  That's not important?  Consider the amount of hype for the seasonal flu and the amount of deaths of 55,000 on average and compare it to the corona virus.  Based on the amount of hype, it has to kill at least 2, 3, 4 or more times as many people right?  Are you confident that it will?  

I've never seen anyone complain about the lack of outrage over the 55,000 flu deaths a year.  This is about control more than anything.  And fear is the best weapon to control plain and simple.
Knowing that the normal tendency is to freak out over any new infectious disease, Trump's ongoing effort to downplay COVID's seriousness hasn't helped. In fact, it's done nothing but fan the flames of fear in the general population. When fear strikes, people look toward leadership for answers. Just two weeks ago he said domestic cases could drop to five cases and potentially just 1-2 infected Americans. As of this afternoon, we're over 1,000 cases in the US. At best, Trump was off by nearly 200,000%.

Okay, so how should Trump be handling it differently?  Actions speak louder than words and he signed a bill worth $8.3 billion.  Is that not taking it seriously?  You don't think calmness and perspective is a good thing?  He is getting his information from medical professionals.  The media is the entity fanning the flames and politicizing it.  I just hope people will track and compare the infection rates and deaths to the yearly flu and see how it stands side by side.  Is that reasonable?

March madness to be played with no fans.

Thats gonna suck.

(03-11-2020, 04:53 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 04:29 PM)Gabe Wrote: Knowing that the normal tendency is to freak out over any new infectious disease, Trump's ongoing effort to downplay COVID's seriousness hasn't helped. In fact, it's done nothing but fan the flames of fear in the general population. When fear strikes, people look toward leadership for answers. Just two weeks ago he said domestic cases could drop to five cases and potentially just 1-2 infected Americans. As of this afternoon, we're over 1,000 cases in the US. At best, Trump was off by nearly 200,000%.

Okay, so how should Trump be handling it differently?  Actions speak louder than words and he signed a bill worth $8.3 billion.  Is that not taking it seriously?  You don't think calmness and perspective is a good thing?  He is getting his information from medical professionals.  The media is the entity fanning the flames and politicizing it.  I just hope people will track and compare the infection rates and deaths to the yearly flu and see how it stands side by side.  Is that reasonable?
When it turns out he's calmly 200,000% wrong, yes he should've handled it differently...FROM THE START - which was, fun fact, in January.

(03-11-2020, 05:07 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: March madness to be played with no fans.

Thats gonna suck.

Seems like a calm situation to me, eh JJ?

(03-11-2020, 05:10 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 04:53 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote: Okay, so how should Trump be handling it differently?  Actions speak louder than words and he signed a bill worth $8.3 billion.  Is that not taking it seriously?  You don't think calmness and perspective is a good thing?  He is getting his information from medical professionals.  The media is the entity fanning the flames and politicizing it.  I just hope people will track and compare the infection rates and deaths to the yearly flu and see how it stands side by side.  Is that reasonable?
When it turns out he's calmly 200,000% wrong, yes he should've handled it differently...FROM THE START - which was, fun fact, in January.

And that 200,000% wrong is laughable compared the amount of people who have likely been infected from the flu in the same time period.  But no one cares.  Another fact.  Obama waited for over 1,000 people to die from the swine flu before he declared a national emergency when Trump did it before a single death from the Corona virus.  And honestly, considering the amount of deaths from the flu yearly, Obama did nothing wrong.  But trying to blame Trump for his handling of this is ridiculous.

(03-11-2020, 05:42 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 05:10 PM)Gabe Wrote: When it turns out he's calmly 200,000% wrong, yes he should've handled it differently...FROM THE START - which was, fun fact, in January.

And that 200,000% wrong is laughable compared the amount of people who have likely been infected from the flu in the same time period.  But no one cares.  Another fact.  Obama waited for over 1,000 people to die from the swine flu before he declared a national emergency when Trump did it before a single death from the Corona virus.  And honestly, considering the amount of deaths from the flu yearly, Obama did nothing wrong.  But trying to blame Trump for his handling of this is ridiculous.
Ah yes. When all else fails, bring up Obama.

(03-11-2020, 05:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 05:42 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote: And that 200,000% wrong is laughable compared the amount of people who have likely been infected from the flu in the same time period.  But no one cares.  Another fact.  Obama waited for over 1,000 people to die from the swine flu before he declared a national emergency when Trump did it before a single death from the Corona virus.  And honestly, considering the amount of deaths from the flu yearly, Obama did nothing wrong.  But trying to blame Trump for his handling of this is ridiculous.
Ah yes. When all else fails, bring up Obama.

Why is it unfair to compare Trump and Obama?  And all else has failed?  No one has made a good argument as to why there is so much hype around the corona virus but not the flu.  200,000 people die of the flu in China every year.  How many have died of the corona virus?

Republicans should be more concerned about this. The problem is how little we know, still. It's kind of all over the place, and there is evidence to suggest this is a man-made virus. China literally welded people inside their homes. What do they know that we don't? I keep saying this. I am not sure what Trump could do aside from completely securing our border, then quarantining the population most at risk. None of that is very "free." Just not sure what the best solution is at this point. For the Dems freaking out, what is the solution? We could have had more test kits, but there was a flaw with the way they were testing, so a massive rollout of bad kits can only go so far. We couldn't really start verifying until we had samples of the virus, and it looks like there's 2 different types. This is just a super frustrating problem to deal with. The panic on the one side is not good, and the cavalier approach from the other is also not good.

(03-11-2020, 04:02 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 03:47 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: All of you saying this isn't serious need to go tell that to the families of those who are dead.

The reason why Italy has been hit so hard is they have one of the largest populations of people over 65 years old and they live in much smaller communities (and closer face to face proximity to each other) so transmission is swift and deadly.

My parents and in-laws are in their 70's and all have health issues of some sort that would make them extremely susceptible to COVID-19 and would likely die from it if infected, so yes I AM going to take this seriously.

As far as people stocking up on items- NOT panic buying but actual stocking up- I don't see an issue with doing so with stuff made in China. Production has been limited or stopped altogether due to quarantine there which means nothing is being made. What is in warehouses is what there is until production begins again. As an example, if that means I buy more OTC meds than I would normally use in a three month period, then so be it.

We're always prepared to a degree, mostly for foul weather situations, but if I'm at the mercy of the decisions the state of NC makes regarding quarantine timeframes and such, I want to know I can stay in my house/on my property for an extended period of time and not worry about having enough food, personal hygiene items, etc. We have a Democrat governer who refuses to pass a state budget because state republicans won't give in to his temper tantrums so I don't trust him to make sensible decisions for this situation either. I'd feel the same if he were Republican and doing the same thing. But that's a whole other conversation.

With all due respect, you're letting your fear speak for you.  Anyone who is at risk should absolutely try to do things that boost their immunity.  But what about all the people that died from other causes?  That's not important?  Consider the amount of hype for the seasonal flu and the amount of deaths of 55,000 on average and compare it to the corona virus.  Based on the amount of hype, it has to kill at least 2, 3, 4 or more times as many people right?  Are you confident that it will?  

I'm not personally afraid of COVID-19 and my serious concern for  my loved ones who could literally die from it IF they get it is legit. 

I don't believe fear is a word I'd use to describe how I feel in regards to my state and local government making choices that could impact my activities of daily living to include my ability to go grocery shopping. It's called I DON'T TRUST THEM. Everyone else is panicking, not me, but I have to live with their stupidity so I make sure I have what I need at home just in case. Most of the stores in my town are devoid of cleaning products because folks went and cleared the shelves in panic mode. A week later and the shelves remain bare and no one  is saying when they'll have more. But no, it's not important AT ALL to be prepared against society's panic driven mindset. 

I don't even watch the news since I only have streaming options for tv viewing. I get my  news from a variety of online sources and filter out the BS.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 06:45 PM by Jags.)

(03-10-2020, 09:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 08:43 PM)Jags Wrote: Idk what to make of this, I agree with most that say nothing to worry about, normal flu, etc.  I really do.  But my brother called me the other night and I nonchalantly say “what do you think about this coronavirus”?  To be met with, “I can’t talk about that.”  Here I thought he did nuclear stuff.  He admitted that some of the stuff he couldn’t  talk about was stupid and that everyone knew all about it. But did say canceling out trip was what he’d do.  So idk.  Still leaning towards not a big deal.  But I’ll be damned if the one year I get a flu shot, I get sick with this stuff.

Coronavirus is not the flu, it's a viral pneumonia. It is not anywhere near as contagious as the flu, though the symptoms cause the same cold-like symptoms of the flu and the respiratory distress associated with pneumonia. I'm going to Disney this weekend, hopefully the crowds will be minimal since everyone is terrified of their own shadow right now.
You’re going to be in line to see the talking Mickey. He’ll be wearing a face mask.  He’ll say in his Mickey voice:

“Haha.  Hey there, Pal! Never mind this mask.  Minnie and I just got back from the Disney cruise. Haven’t been feeling myself since.  Don’t worry though pal.  Stand waaaaaaay over there and we’ll get our pic made with a wide angle lens.   But hey, Thanks for coming to see me and spending your hard earned cash.   I’ve got refunds to pay out and expect out of court  settlements in the future.  Thanks Pal!

(03-11-2020, 06:29 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 04:02 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote: With all due respect, you're letting your fear speak for you.  Anyone who is at risk should absolutely try to do things that boost their immunity.  But what about all the people that died from other causes?  That's not important?  Consider the amount of hype for the seasonal flu and the amount of deaths of 55,000 on average and compare it to the corona virus.  Based on the amount of hype, it has to kill at least 2, 3, 4 or more times as many people right?  Are you confident that it will?  

I'm not personally afraid of COVID-19 and my serious concern for  my loved ones who could literally die from it IF they get it is legit. 

I don't believe fear is a word I'd use to describe how I feel in regards to my state and local government making choices that could impact my activities of daily living to include my ability to go grocery shopping. It's called I DON'T TRUST THEM. Everyone else is panicking, not me, but I have to live with their stupidity so I make sure I have what I need at home just in case. Most of the stores in my town are devoid of cleaning products because folks went and cleared the shelves in panic mode. A week later and the shelves remain bare and no one  is saying when they'll have more. But no, it's not important AT ALL to be prepared against society's panic driven mindset. 

I don't even watch the news since I only have streaming options for tv viewing. I get my  news from a variety of online sources and filter out the BS.

I actually don't think we disagree for the most part.  I don't know what health issues your loved ones are facing, but I believe you when you say they are of greater risk.  

I don't trust authorities any more than you do.  People are panicking and because of that you absolutely should take precautions and make sure you have essentials.  I already have somewhat.  But it is in response to the reactions of others not to the corona virus itself.  I'm not downplaying the panic among people or the ability of the government to use that as a reason to restrict our freedoms in the name of protecting us.  I'm only trying to put the statistics in perspective because the level of panic makes absolutely no sense based on what's been reported.

(03-11-2020, 06:21 PM)Last42min Wrote: Republicans should be more concerned about this. The problem is how little we know, still. It's kind of all over the place, and there is evidence to suggest this is a man-made virus. China literally welded people inside their homes. What do they know that we don't? I keep saying this. I am not sure what Trump could do aside from completely securing our border, then quarantining the population most at risk. None of that is very "free." Just not sure what the best solution is at this point. For the Dems freaking out, what is the solution? We could have had more test kits, but there was a flaw with the way they were testing, so a massive rollout of bad kits can only go so far. We couldn't really start verifying until we had samples of the virus, and it looks like there's 2 different types. This is just a super frustrating problem to deal with. The panic on the one side is not good, and the cavalier approach from the other is also not good.
Though I canceled my Disney trip, and yes, it’s all over the place, it’s been recently brought up to my attention that my Lysol spray can bought well before this says it will kill “Covid 19”.  So, probably not new.  Info exists.  Just never had an outbreak of it like this.  

So, I go home and check.  Yep!

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 07:20 PM by mikesez.)

(03-11-2020, 04:40 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 03:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: Yeah, sick people can go ahead and die. Where's my money?!

Whatever comrade mikey.  Wanting the economy to do well and not be impacted isn't about my personal money making gains.  It's about the health of the country in general.  Of course you really wouldn't care about that.  Unlike you I actually took an oath to protect and defend the country and our Constitution.  The oath has no expiration date.

Who do you think those concerned 60 year olds catch the virus from?
This affects all of us, victims and carriers.
And isn't the country you're sworn to protect more than just an economy?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-11-2020, 07:18 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 04:40 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Whatever comrade mikey.  Wanting the economy to do well and not be impacted isn't about my personal money making gains.  It's about the health of the country in general.  Of course you really wouldn't care about that.  Unlike you I actually took an oath to protect and defend the country and our Constitution.  The oath has no expiration date.

Who do you think those concerned 60 year olds catch the virus from?
This affects all of us, victims and carriers.
And isn't the country you're sworn to protect more than just an economy?

Spare parts bud, spare parts.  Smh.

(03-11-2020, 04:02 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 03:47 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: All of you saying this isn't serious need to go tell that to the families of those who are dead.

The reason why Italy has been hit so hard is they have one of the largest populations of people over 65 years old and they live in much smaller communities (and closer face to face proximity to each other) so transmission is swift and deadly.

My parents and in-laws are in their 70's and all have health issues of some sort that would make them extremely susceptible to COVID-19 and would likely die from it if infected, so yes I AM going to take this seriously.

As far as people stocking up on items- NOT panic buying but actual stocking up- I don't see an issue with doing so with stuff made in China. Production has been limited or stopped altogether due to quarantine there which means nothing is being made. What is in warehouses is what there is until production begins again. As an example, if that means I buy more OTC meds than I would normally use in a three month period, then so be it.

We're always prepared to a degree, mostly for foul weather situations, but if I'm at the mercy of the decisions the state of NC makes regarding quarantine timeframes and such, I want to know I can stay in my house/on my property for an extended period of time and not worry about having enough food, personal hygiene items, etc. We have a Democrat governer who refuses to pass a state budget because state republicans won't give in to his temper tantrums so I don't trust him to make sensible decisions for this situation either. I'd feel the same if he were Republican and doing the same thing. But that's a whole other conversation.

With all due respect, you're letting your fear speak for you.  Anyone who is at risk should absolutely try to do things that boost their immunity.  But what about all the people that died from other causes?  That's not important?  Consider the amount of hype for the seasonal flu and the amount of deaths of 55,000 on average and compare it to the corona virus.  Based on the amount of hype, it has to kill at least 2, 3, 4 or more times as many people right?  Are you confident that it will?  

Yea, 55,000 deaths from the flu, out of 45 MILLION people who get it yearly... 55,000 is a lot, but then you look at the other number and it puts things more into perspective.

If COVID-19/Corona infects 45 Million people, the death toll is going to blow 55,000 out of the water...

Amazing they are playing March Madness Hoops Tourney without fans. I'll trust the scientists and medical professionals on this one.