Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 10:32 PM by TJBender.)

(03-11-2020, 10:26 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 10:22 PM)TJBender Wrote: What I learned tonight is that Trump cares about the American people...when his economy hits the toilet and we notice.

Even for u that's patently disgraceful.

You think so? Aw, shucks. I'm honored that you would find me distasteful. <3

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Someone on this board is getting on a cruise ship on Friday...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The problem now is that we dont know what we dont know. The symptoms for some healthy people so closely resemble those of a mild cold that they may not get tested. Inaccurate infection rates skew mortality rates etc.

Moreover the mortality rate is always going to be peaked @ the outset of any new pathogen. We dont yet have established treatment protocols, vaccines. Etc. Over time, we dont know when, but that's going to change and severely change the way we approach this disease.

Also, for countries in the northern hemisphere, the climate is going to naturally help us bend the infection curb. Theres an inverse correlation between the transmission rate of an aerosolized pathogen and temperature. They call it cold and flu season for a reason.

(03-11-2020, 09:49 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 09:39 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Childish.  

My point wasnt that people are afraid.my point is that it has less to do with Trumps calm approach and more to do with the media hyperbole and the Merkles of the world predicting armageddon.

It's just a cold.

COVID-19 is not a cold. It's actually called SARS-CoV-2, basically SARS mixed with a coronavirus. They didn't want to call it SARS-CoV-2 because the acronym SARS tends to freak people out so they named it COVID-19 on Feb 11, 2020. It is related to the SARS-CoV outbreak from 2003 but not the same virus.

(03-11-2020, 11:09 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 09:49 PM)Gabe Wrote: It's just a cold.

COVID-19 is not a cold. It's actually called SARS-CoV-2, basically SARS mixed with a coronavirus. They didn't want to call it SARS-CoV-2 because the acronym SARS tends to freak people out so they named it COVID-19 on Feb 11, 2020. It is related to the SARS-CoV outbreak from 2003 but not the same virus.

Sars cov2 is the name for the virus, covid 19 is the name for the disease it causes.  Thank u for bringing it to my attention.  I read a little about that outbreak and how it differs from this outbreak.  

If u catch a break with a pandemic, we caught one with SARS.  by that I mean, the period of highest contagion happened later in the disease.  That meant that traditional public health protocols, diagnosis isolation treatment etc. Were extremely effective.  You could develop symptoms be properly diagnosed and put in quarantine before you became highly contagious.  As such few people who tested positive passes on the virus.  As such we only reached just over 8k cases.  Unfortunately, this new cov  has already reached over 124k cases and would highly suggest a contingency period much earlier in the disease which is going to make containment problematic.

I just got a chance to watch the oval office address. I wouldn't call joining the panic. When the WHO officially recognizes a pandemic u pay attention.

I If the analysis shows we have cases and subsequent community transmission from European countries then it makes sense to pause travel.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 05:47 AM by The Real Marty.)

Suspending travel from Europe is a very drastic step with huge consequences for consumer confidence and the economy.  

It seems like Trump has completely changed his mind about the seriousness of this disease.  Because this will be a huge hit to the world economy.

The correct leadership from the President on this issue is like threading a needle.   You want to take all the actions necessary to slow the spread of the disease, without tanking the economy unnecessarily.   It seems like the President has lurched from one extreme ("It's going to go away soon.") to the other extreme.  Banning travel from Europe will be extremely damaging to the economy.   We don't want to make a recession into a depression.  

I just wonder who advised him on that address, because apparently, from what I read, he did not consult the airlines or European leaders.

I predict that within the next day or two, he will start rolling back that European travel ban.  Somebody will get to him and he'll consider the consequences.

(03-11-2020, 11:09 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 09:49 PM)Gabe Wrote: It's just a cold.

Oh, I know that. I was being facetious. Downplaying this thing is just as dangerous, in my opinion, as panicking about it
I'll play you in ping pong. 

Wilmer Krusen or Max Starkloff?

The Spanish Flu hit America in 1918. As the disease was spreading, Wilmer Krusen, Philadelphia’s health commissioner, allowed a huge parade to take place on September 28; some 200,000 people marched. In the following days and weeks, the bodies piled up in the city’s morgues. By the end of the season, 12,000 residents had died.

In St. Louis, a public-health commissioner named Max Starkloff decided to shut the city down. Ignoring the objections of influential businessmen, he closed the city’s schools, bars, cinemas, and sporting events. Thanks to his bold and unpopular actions, the per capita fatality rate in St. Louis was half that of Philadelphia. (In total, roughly 1,700 people died from influenza in St Louis.)

I’ve gone completely prepper. I am now safely ensconced in a hoarded toilet paper fortress armed with semi-automatic Super Soakers filled with hand sanitizer.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 07:50 AM by jj82284.)

(03-12-2020, 05:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Suspending travel from Europe is a very drastic step with huge consequences for consumer confidence and the economy.  

It seems like Trump has completely changed his mind about the seriousness of this disease.  Because this will be a huge hit to the world economy.

The correct leadership from the President on this issue is like threading a needle.   You want to take all the actions necessary to slow the spread of the disease, without tanking the economy unnecessarily.   It seems like the President has lurched from one extreme ("It's going to go away soon.") to the other extreme.  Banning travel from Europe will be extremely damaging to the economy.   We don't want to make a recession into a depression.  

I just wonder who advised him on that address, because apparently, from what I read, he did not consult the airlines or European leaders.

I predict that within the next day or two, he will start rolling back that European travel ban.  Somebody will get to him and he'll consider the consequences.

At the time of his more optimistic projections we thought the progression of the pathogen was based primarily in china.  We made those travel restrictions in january and it prevented mass amounts of infection. Europe didnt take the same steps as we did at the earlier stages to contain the spread from china.   

Fast forward and and now u see what's happening in places like Italy and as he said you can trace the seeding of new clusters of virus to European sources.  

And you're right this is a drastic step.  When the chancellor of Germany says as many as 70% or 40 million people in her country could be infected there WAS NO DECISION TO MAKE!

As to "threading the needle" one day its, hes brass hes crude he lacks sober and judicious comportment, then it's well hes too calm he must not be taking this seriously.  One day all he cares about is the economy.  The next day, does he care about people's jobs.  

Hes taken this as seriously if not more so than any president as reflected by his almost unprecedented action.  As fact patterns on the ground changed the strategy changed.  One thing we should agree on is that the other side caterwauling that  saying "Wuhan" is a microaggression is a much less prudent containment strategy.

One last thing. The president of the united states doesnt answer to foreign allies, the travel industry, or the Chinese communist party. Had the EU and china taken his recommendations from the beginning this would be far better contained. Above all else, even his re-election, is to protect American citizens. He doesnt have to ask Angella Merkles permission.

Anyone see Don Lemon's meltdown? lol

(03-12-2020, 08:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Anyone see Don Lemon's meltdown? lol

It’s sad to see what’s become of CNN. It really is.

(03-12-2020, 07:47 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 05:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Suspending travel from Europe is a very drastic step with huge consequences for consumer confidence and the economy.  

At the time of his more optimistic projections we thought the progression of the pathogen was based primarily in china.  We made those travel restrictions in january and it prevented mass amounts of infection. Europe didnt take the same steps as we did at the earlier stages to contain the spread from china.   

Fast forward and and now u see what's happening in places like Italy and as he said you can trace the seeding of new clusters of virus to European sources.  

And you're right this is a drastic step.  When the chancellor of Germany says as many as 70% or 40 million people in her country could be infected there WAS NO DECISION TO MAKE!

As to "threading the needle" one day its, hes brass hes crude he lacks sober and judicious comportment, then it's well hes too calm he must not be taking this seriously.  One day all he cares about is the economy.  The next day, does he care about people's jobs.  

Hes taken this as seriously if not more so than any president as reflected by his almost unprecedented action.  As fact patterns on the ground changed the strategy changed.  One thing we should agree on is that the other side caterwauling that  saying "Wuhan" is a microaggression is a much less prudent containment strategy.

One last thing.  The president of the united states doesnt answer to foreign allies, the travel industry, or the Chinese communist party.  Had the EU and china taken his recommendations from the beginning this would be far better contained.  Above all else, even his re-election, is to protect American citizens.  He doesnt have to ask Angella Merkles permission.

I'm not saying he should ask anyone's permission.  I'm just thinking he could have gathered some information on the effect of his order from those who were most affected by it.  

But I'm also a little surprised by your defending this action when didn't you say the Coronavirus is no worse than the flu, and that we are all overreacting?   Check out your post from 2 days ago.  #226 in this thread.

(03-12-2020, 08:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 07:47 AM)jj82284 Wrote: At the time of his more optimistic projections we thought the progression of the pathogen was based primarily in china.  We made those travel restrictions in january and it prevented mass amounts of infection. Europe didnt take the same steps as we did at the earlier stages to contain the spread from china.   

One last thing.  The president of the united states doesnt answer to foreign allies, the travel industry, or the Chinese communist party.  Had the EU and china taken his recommendations from the beginning this would be far better contained.  Above all else, even his re-election, is to protect American citizens.  He doesnt have to ask Angella Merkles permission.

I'm not saying he should ask anyone's permission.  I'm just thinking he could have gathered some information on the effect of his order from those who were most affected by it.  

But I'm also a little surprised by your defending this action when didn't you say the Coronavirus is no worse than the flu, and that we are all overreacting?   Check out your post from 2 days ago.  #226 in this thread.

The WH walked back three major mistakes in his prepared speech. How does this happen?

(03-12-2020, 08:54 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 08:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm not saying he should ask anyone's permission.  I'm just thinking he could have gathered some information on the effect of his order from those who were most affected by it.  

The WH walked back three major mistakes in his prepared speech. How does this happen?

In other news...  Donald Trump might in fact be a human being.

(03-12-2020, 09:00 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 08:54 AM)Gabe Wrote: The WH walked back three major mistakes in his prepared speech. How does this happen?

Weird. I never saw this take regarding any Obama mistakes

(03-12-2020, 09:00 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 08:54 AM)Gabe Wrote: The WH walked back three major mistakes in his prepared speech. How does this happen?

You're a trip, JJ. I'm not laying this at his feet, but at his administration's. 

Amidst his deep breaths and sniffs, he read a prepared speech from a teleprompter.

(03-12-2020, 08:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 07:47 AM)jj82284 Wrote: At the time of his more optimistic projections we thought the progression of the pathogen was based primarily in china.  We made those travel restrictions in january and it prevented mass amounts of infection. Europe didnt take the same steps as we did at the earlier stages to contain the spread from china.   

To me I think this whole thing is an overreaction.  It hasn't been demonstrated to me that on a large scale this will be all that different than the flu.  Again I believe that smart protocols for public health and hygiene are common sense but the idea of essentially suspending the world economy is asinine.  

That being said, the only thing that will calm the situation is containment of the virus and @ current banning travel from europe makes a lot of sense.  

Also Trump offered our experts to china @ the beginning and would have counseled our allies to follow suit on his travel ban.  The question is why they did t listen to him not the other way around.

(03-12-2020, 09:06 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 09:00 AM)jj82284 Wrote: In other news...  Donald Trump might in fact be a human being.

You're a trip, JJ. I'm not laying this at his feet, but at his administration's. 

Amidst his deep breaths and sniffs, he read a prepared speech from a teleprompter.

You do understand that all oval office addresses are prepared speeches, right?