Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market Under Trump

Gold/Silver ratio is at a wildly historic 116+
The price of physical gold & silver has decoupled from the "paper" price.
If you don't believe me, go try to buy silver for $12.60 an ounce.
US Mint is out of Silver Eagles and PM dealers are limiting orders, raising premiums and delaying deliveries.
The world is awash in debt; so the answer from those who peddle debt is always: more debt!
Fortunately, it's not real. The debt will never be paid, except with newly created debt. Numbers on a page.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-16-2020, 10:27 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Gold/Silver ratio is at a wildly historic 116+
US Mint is out of Silver Eagles and PM dealers are limiting orders, raising premiums and delaying deliveries.
The world is awash in debt; so the answer from those who peddle debt is always:  more debt!
Fortunately, it's not real.  The debt will never be paid, except with newly created debt.  Numbers on a page.

If only.  Unfortunately for all of us, the debt is very real.  

Heck, if the debt wasn't real, the government could write us all a check for a million bucks and we'd all be millionaires!  How about that?  Andrew Yang was thinking too small!

(03-16-2020, 11:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 10:27 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Gold/Silver ratio is at a wildly historic 116+
The world is awash in debt; so the answer from those who peddle debt is always:  more debt!
Fortunately, it's not real.  The debt will never be paid, except with newly created debt.  Numbers on a page.

If only.  Unfortunately for all of us, the debt is very real.  

Heck, if the debt wasn't real, the government could write us all a check for a million bucks and we'd all be millionaires!  How about that?  Andrew Yang was thinking too small!

Yes they could, and that million bucks would not buy you very much because you'd be bidding against 327,000,000 other millionaires.

As long as the US Dollar is the Primary World Currency our country is pretty safe.

But just look at what happened to the UK in the 70s when their Sterling Pound stopped being the Primary World Currency in favor of the US Dollar.

Do I hear -3000?
What a bloodbath.

The sell-off was pretty much expected after the weekend news and actions by The Fed.  Much of this is due to automated trading based on headlines.  Expect another "see-saw" week with spikes up some days and down the next.  Long term investors should really look at stuff that is "on sale" right now.  Even with a recession there are going to be stocks that do very well over the long term.  Had I not been so busy today I would have snapped up a few, but the opportunity is always there tomorrow.

With the lower interest rates I may re-think my timeline for building my new home.  I wasn't really planning on starting building until next year, but at today's rates I may move forward on it.  I can borrow the cash cheaply and not use my capital to do the construction and in the end basically "make money".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-16-2020, 04:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The sell-off was pretty much expected after the weekend news and actions by The Fed.  Much of this is due to automated trading based on headlines.  Expect another "see-saw" week with spikes up some days and down the next.  Long term investors should really look at stuff that is "on sale" right now.  Even with a recession there are going to be stocks that do very well over the long term.  Had I not been so busy today I would have snapped up a few, but the opportunity is always there tomorrow.

With the lower interest rates I may re-think my timeline for building my new home.  I wasn't really planning on starting building until next year, but at today's rates I may move forward on it.  I can borrow the cash cheaply and not use my capital to do the construction and in the end basically "make money".

Isn't that communism?

[Image: IMG-20200316-191732.jpg]

(03-16-2020, 04:59 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 04:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The sell-off was pretty much expected after the weekend news and actions by The Fed.  Much of this is due to automated trading based on headlines.  Expect another "see-saw" week with spikes up some days and down the next.  Long term investors should really look at stuff that is "on sale" right now.  Even with a recession there are going to be stocks that do very well over the long term.  Had I not been so busy today I would have snapped up a few, but the opportunity is always there tomorrow.

Isn't that communism?

Nope.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-16-2020, 07:23 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [Image: IMG-20200316-191732.jpg]

We're all losing money, celebrate!
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-17-2020, 10:50 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 07:23 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [Image: IMG-20200316-191732.jpg]

We're all losing money, celebrate!

You're losing money, the Democratic Party thinks they're gaining power.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

A decent rebound day in the market, though oil took another hit.

I started to "leg in" a bit earlier today.  Everything that I bought I feel should be good long term investments.  My strategy is to look for companies with a good balance sheet that pay a decent dividend.  They are also companies that won't be impacted "as much" with the disruption of every day life.  Think about companies like AT&T or Philip Morris.  The stock prices aren't going to "shoot up" by any means, but they will make a steady climb while still paying a decent dividend.

Also tech looks pretty good right now.  As I have said many times on this forum, I rarely buy individual stocks, but Micro$oft at $135.50 looked pretty good to me.  Will it dip lower?  Possibly in the near term, but over the longer term it will come back to where it once was ($190) and possibly go higher.  100 shares should make up the slight losses that I took before my stop-loss kicked in... and that's just one stock.

I would caution anyone to not take my advice since I am by no means a professional.  If you have a 401k with your employer just keep contributing and don't mess with your investments.  Over time it is going to come back and you're basically buying stocks "on sale" right now.  Once the market comes back you will be in better shape than you were before the drop.

(03-17-2020, 04:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I started to "leg in" a bit earlier today.  Everything that I bought I feel should be good long term investments.  My strategy is to look for companies with a good balance sheet that pay a decent dividend.  They are also companies that won't be impacted "as much" with the disruption of every day life.  Think about companies like AT&T or Philip Morris.  The stock prices aren't going to "shoot up" by any means, but they will make a steady climb while still paying a decent dividend.

Also tech looks pretty good right now.  As I have said many times on this forum, I rarely buy individual stocks, but Micro$oft at $135.50 looked pretty good to me.  Will it dip lower?  Possibly in the near term, but over the longer term it will come back to where it once was ($190) and possibly go higher.  100 shares should make up the slight losses that I took before my stop-loss kicked in... and that's just one stock.

I would caution anyone to not take my advice since I am by no means a professional.  If you have a 401k with your employer just keep contributing and don't mess with your investments.  Over time it is going to come back and you're basically buying stocks "on sale" right now.  Once the market comes back you will be in better shape than you were before the drop.

This is me right now...only I'm not looking at the performance for fear of nausea.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-17-2020, 04:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I started to "leg in" a bit earlier today.  Everything that I bought I feel should be good long term investments.  My strategy is to look for companies with a good balance sheet that pay a decent dividend.  They are also companies that won't be impacted "as much" with the disruption of every day life.  Think about companies like AT&T or Philip Morris.  The stock prices aren't going to "shoot up" by any means, but they will make a steady climb while still paying a decent dividend.

Microsoft is a real good pick.  They are very strong and can survive anything.

(03-17-2020, 04:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Microsoft is a real good pick.  They are very strong and can survive anything.

We'll see how it shakes out.  I wanted to get it closer to $130 and missed my opportunity.  I expect up and down moves near term, but I imagine that it's going to end the year near where it was.  At least that is my hope.

Markets are going back down today. I can't see how all these closures don't end in huge unemployment and economic contraction.

Have to be nuts buying shares right now.

(03-17-2020, 07:36 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Markets are going back down today. I can't see how all these closures don't end in huge unemployment and economic contraction.

Buy on fear.

Sell on greed.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 09:39 PM by p_rushing.)

(03-17-2020, 08:27 PM)enigma Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 07:36 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Markets are going back down today. I can't see how all these closures don't end in huge unemployment and economic contraction.

Buy on fear.

Sell on greed.

It depends on how long this lasts. If companies shut down and don't hire people, everyone will be unemployed and unable to get a job. At some point it will rebound, but will you make it to that point.