Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

The clown Mitt Romney wants to give everyone $1,000. Is there anyone more out of touch with reality than Mitt?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-16-2020, 08:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The clown Mitt Romney wants to give everyone $1,000. Is there anyone more out of touch with reality than Mitt?

If they use a national quarantine for two weeks maybe that’s a way to pay the public for missed work? Or partial pay?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(03-09-2020, 12:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: "When I was hearing the amount of people that died with the flu, I was shocked to hear it," Trump said while touring the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's headquarters. "Over the last, long period of time when people have the flu, you have an average of 36,000 people dying. I've never heard those numbers, I would've been shocked. I would have said, 'Does anybody die of the flu?' I didn't know people died from the flu."

Ya just have to laugh.

(03-16-2020, 08:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The clown Mitt Romney wants to give everyone $1,000. Is there anyone more out of touch with reality than Mitt?

No doubt you would have no problems giving taxpayer money to corporates though...

Ummmmm

That's happening.  

It's not good, but that's happening.

(03-16-2020, 08:50 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 08:11 PM)lastonealive Wrote: I'd be careful comparing systems. People with public health systems are likely to seek treatment earlier.

If you are only willing to get medical assistance when it becomes very serious that may affect survival rate.

South Korea etc also learned a lot in the SARS crisis.

We waived all cost for cov testing.  Part of a free market includes not being seen by consumers as heartless jerks.  

My point is that when you look @ market systems their productive capacity is far ahead of state run systems.  As an example, the US shoulders 75% of the RD burden for the global health system.  Most countries with public systems routinely ration elective or non essential procedures as part of normal business.  That's not the case in the us.

So waiving all fees for testing sounds like the taxpayer is footing the bill yes?

Question is can you afford the treatment and is there enough spare capacity. I doubt there's huge unused capacity in a profit led service.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 09:21 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(03-16-2020, 09:14 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 12:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: "When I was hearing the amount of people that died with the flu, I was shocked to hear it," Trump said while touring the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's headquarters. "Over the last, long period of time when people have the flu, you have an average of 36,000 people dying. I've never heard those numbers, I would've been shocked. I would have said, 'Does anybody die of the flu?' I didn't know people died from the flu."

Ya just have to laugh.

No doubt you would have no problems giving taxpayer money to corporates though...

In fine giving tax breaks to corporations if it moves their supply chains back to the USA.

(03-16-2020, 09:15 PM)jj82284 Wrote:

Ummmmm

That's happening.  

It's not good, but that's happening.

How does one arrive at $1,000 per adult and $500 per child? Andrew Yang wanted to give me $1,000 per month just for having a pulse. $1,000 for lost work won't have the same benefit for everyone.

For starters, they can extend the April 15th tax deadline. That would be nice.

Well, if "anyone" includes democrats, I can give you a list......
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 09:56 PM by mikesez.)

My trip on a half empty cruise ship was strange but fun.
Our family had a waiter and assistant waiter all to ourselves. Minimal lines for the slides. The first morning, they had an all crew meeting. That's where it was announced that our ship would continue our cruise as planned, but not take on any more passengers after we left. I half think they cancelled the cruises simply because they will lose less money idling the ships than sailing them half-full. I would have been totally fine with the government or the cruise line cancelling my cruise, no complaint, but I was going to take that cruise if it was available.
I can work from home, and I kind of felt like I was putting the boss out, forcing him to be the one to say, "you have to work from home for X number of days," but now the schools are closed and a lot of folks are going to be working from home anyhow.

I still remember standing in line at Walmart to cash my $1,000 check that came from George w Bush.
They called it an "economic stimulus"
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-16-2020, 08:05 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Unfortunately I don't think this is necessarily man made.  Nature has an interesting way of throwing a nasty bug like this @ us every 25 years.

It's highly suspect that the earliest known case of the disease, dating back to November of 2019, came from a city at the doorstep of one of the most advanced microbiological labs in the world--one that specializes in virology. Was it released maliciously? Maybe, maybe not, but an unstoppable souped-up SARS variant showing up in Wuhan Province and becoming a global pandemic in less than six months is a little convenient.

(03-16-2020, 09:17 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 08:50 PM)jj82284 Wrote: We waived all cost for cov testing.  Part of a free market includes not being seen by consumers as heartless jerks.  

My point is that when you look @ market systems their productive capacity is far ahead of state run systems.  As an example, the US shoulders 75% of the RD burden for the global health system.  Most countries with public systems routinely ration elective or non essential procedures as part of normal business.  That's not the case in the us.

So waiving all fees for testing sounds like the taxpayer is footing the bill yes?

Question is can you afford the treatment and is there enough spare capacity. I doubt there's huge unused capacity in a profit led service.

In italy there are roughly 6k ICU beds.  In my state alone there are 3k with less than 1/3rd the population.  That's 50% more capacity per capital.  & the list goes on.  Market economies are more PRODUCTIVE than command economies.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 02:42 AM by p_rushing.)

(03-16-2020, 07:38 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Hear me out something is off here, why are governments across the world shutting down for a contagious but relatively non-lethal virus?

We’re told it’s a virus that most will get over in a few days but then told to self quarantine through social distancing and we’re seeing local and foreign governments complete shut economies down why? Is this virus more deadly then we’re being told? How is it possible the wealthiest and most advanced medical system is so far behind testing for a nominal virus? Why is the strongest economy on the planet so quick to shut down over a virus?

If we are to believe this virus targets the old and sick is it possible this was a bio weapon engineered to cull the population of sick and old unproductive population? China has a long history of valuing control over population. They already have the one child policy and forced abortions to control the population. What if they designed this virus to kill off the old and sick their communist government see as a strain on the system?

What if this bio engineered virus is now evolving and gone far beyond what they anticipated? That would make sense to me all the other government globally going to such drastic measures since they don’t know what it’s going to do?

Jus reconnecting the dots and they don’t line up with the narrative we are being feed.

This is a possibility. It's possible it got out mistakenly, when a worker sold the animal being tested on for meat, when an animal escaped, or unlikely mutated on it's own on the wild.

I don't think that China will attack the US because they depend on the US consumer for their economy. The markets depend on each country so without a replacement they cannot hurt the other too much.

I think they might do it, because the immediate impact of this economic event is going to cause unemployment among people who will not have money to buy food and pay rent.  This is the quickest way to give those people some relief.  And landlords like Jared Kushner can still collect his rents.  

If they are concerned about the deficit, the can pass a special tax on it, so people above a certain tax bracket pay the entire thing back to the federal government, thereby reducing the impact on the deficit.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 05:43 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-16-2020, 07:38 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Hear me out something is off here, why are governments across the world shutting down for a contagious but relatively non-lethal virus?

We’re told it’s a virus that most will get over in a few days but then told to self quarantine through social distancing and we’re seeing local and foreign governments complete shut economies down why? Is this virus more deadly then we’re being told? How is it possible the wealthiest and most advanced medical system is so far behind testing for a nominal virus? Why is the strongest economy on the planet so quick to shut down over a virus?

If we are to believe this virus targets the old and sick is it possible this was a bio weapon engineered to cull the population of sick and old unproductive population? China has a long history of valuing control over population. They already have the one child policy and forced abortions to control the population. What if they designed this virus to kill off the old and sick their communist government see as a strain on the system?

What if this bio engineered virus is now evolving and gone far beyond what they anticipated? That would make sense to me all the other government globally going to such drastic measures since they don’t know what it’s going to do?

Jus reconnecting the dots and they don’t line up with the narrative we are being feed.

First of all, this is not a "relatively non-lethal" virus.  It's much more lethal than the flu, for example.  And no, it is not "much more deadly than we are being told."  It is as deadly as we are being told.  I wonder where you get your information and who is telling you this virus is not deadly.    

Secondly, every virus targets the old and the sick.  The flu targets the old and the sick.  This virus is no different in that respect from the flu, it is just more deadly.  But I would add, there are plenty of young people getting very severe cases and some of them die. 

Thirdly, to ask why we're shutting down tells me you are just not watching the news at all.  We're shutting down in order to bend the curve downward so our hospitals are not overwhelmed with sick people.  The same number of people will probably get the virus, but we don't want them (us) to get it all at once.  Plus, if we can slowly build up a population of people who have had the virus and recovered, that will slow the spread of it and maybe save some lives.  

Fourthly, China does not have a one child policy any more.  They now have a two-child policy and they have always had exemptions for their one and two child policies. 

Fifth point: the idea that the Chinese, with their very family oriented culture, extended families living together, and their great respect for the elderly, would intentionally try to kill off their old folks, just doesn't make any sense to me.  Their society is held together by respect for authority, and a great part of that respect for authority is their respect for the elderly.  

I admit, I actually thought of this idea of yours, that this could be some sort of plot to get rid of the elderly and the unproductive.  But that would be so deeply evil, I just can't buy it.

(03-17-2020, 05:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

First of all, this is not a "relatively non-lethal" virus.  It's much more lethal than the flu, for example.  And no, it is not "much more deadly than we are being told."  It is as deadly as we are being told.  I wonder where you get your information and who is telling you this virus is not deadly.    

Secondly, every virus targets the old and the sick.  The flu targets the old and the sick.  This virus is no different in that respect from the flu, it is just more deadly.  But I would add, there are plenty of young people getting very severe cases and some of them die. 

Thirdly, to ask why we're shutting down tells me you are just not watching the news at all.  We're shutting down in order to bend the curve downward so our hospitals are not overwhelmed with sick people.  The same number of people will probably get the virus, but we don't want them (us) to get it all at once.  Plus, if we can slowly build up a population of people who have had the virus and recovered, that will slow the spread of it and maybe save some lives.  

Fourthly, China does not have a one child policy any more.  They now have a two-child policy and they have always had exemptions for their one and two child policies. 

Fifth point: the idea that the Chinese, with their very family oriented culture, extended families living together, and their great respect for the elderly, would intentionally try to kill off their old folks, just doesn't make any sense to me.  Their society is held together by respect for authority, and a great part of that respect for authority is their respect for the elderly.  

I admit, I actually thought of this idea of yours, that this could be some sort of plot to get rid of the elderly and the unproductive.  But that would be so deeply evil, I just can't buy it.

Bruh....  the great leap forward
Concentration camps
One child teo child whatever 

This regime kills people...  now.

(03-17-2020, 05:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I think they might do it, because the immediate impact of this economic event is going to cause unemployment among people who will not have money to buy food and pay rent.  This is the quickest way to give those people some relief.  And landlords like Jared Kushner can still collect his rents.  

If they are concerned about the deficit, the can pass a special tax on it, so people above a certain tax bracket pay the entire thing back to the federal government, thereby reducing the impact on the deficit.

I'm not against relief. I'm saying 1k is a joke and wouldnt cover rent alone in any neighborhood you or I would want to live in.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 07:34 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-17-2020, 07:31 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 05:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think they might do it, because the immediate impact of this economic event is going to cause unemployment among people who will not have money to buy food and pay rent.  This is the quickest way to give those people some relief.  And landlords like Jared Kushner can still collect his rents.  

I'm not against relief. I'm saying 1k is a joke and wouldnt cover rent alone in any neighborhood you or I would want to live in.

Oh.  Well, I assume if it's not enough, they could do it again.  Besides, if it's $1,000 for every person, then a family of 4 would collect $4,000.

I don't think a payroll tax holiday would do that much because right now, people aren't going out.  They're buying necessities.  Anyone employed already has necessities covered.  It's the unemployed who will have to be supported, and they are the ones who would spend the money.

(03-17-2020, 07:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 07:31 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I'm not against relief. I'm saying 1k is a joke and wouldnt cover rent alone in any neighborhood you or I would want to live in.

Oh.  Well, I assume if it's not enough, they could do it again.  Besides, if it's $1,000 for every person, then a family of 4 would collect $4,000.

I don't think a payroll tax holiday would do that much because right now, people aren't going out.  They're buying necessities.  Anyone employed already has necessities covered.  It's the unemployed who will have to be supported, and they are the ones who would spend the money.

The proposal is $500 per children to my knowledge. I could be wrong. 

Payroll tax holiday is something that could come later when people finally get back on their feet. For starters, they can probably go ahead and extend the tax deadline. Not sure why they havent yet. I'd expect that to come today.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 09:11 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

I can't find solid numbers for the COVID-19 Stimulus Bill... keeping it under wraps I guess.

Apparently they have something before that bill on the docket anyway.

What are everyone's thoughts on those who are infected, feel nothing and never get tested? Could that number be in the millions at this point? I know I'm not going to get tested voluntarily. I say that because that could drastically change our perception on the mortality rate of this virus.

Harvard recently said the number according to the most recent studies say it's closer to a 1% mortality rate - which is still high.

(03-17-2020, 09:09 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I can't find solid numbers for the COVID-19 Stimulus Bill... keeping it under wraps I guess.

What are everyone's thoughts on those who are infected, feel nothing and never get tested? Could that number be in the millions at this point? I know I'm not going to get tested voluntarily. I say that because that could drastically change our perception on the mortality rate of this virus.

Harvard recently said the number according to the most recent studies say it's closer to a 1% mortality rate - which is still high.

If every one were tested the mortality rate would plummet. A 1% mortality rate is good or bad depending on the actual number of cases, and we have nothing but guesses about that number.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-17-2020, 10:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 09:09 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I can't find solid numbers for the COVID-19 Stimulus Bill... keeping it under wraps I guess.

If every one were tested the mortality rate would plummet. A 1% mortality rate is good or bad depending on the actual number of cases, and we have nothing but guesses about that number.

If only someone in position to do so had pushed for an adequate supply of tests back when it first became clear that this was going global...