Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-19-2020, 10:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: How is your wife doing, Gabe?

Thanks for checking in and I appreciate everyone's well-wishes yesterday. 

She's doing alright (as am I), I think more spooked than sick. When you wake up at 3am with chills and shortness of breath during a pandemic, that's understandable, I guess - especially when multiple coworkers are either testing positive or showing flu-like symptoms. 

Our estimation is that she'll turn up negative because her condition hasn't worsened. We basically got a two-for-one on the testing...because if she's negative, I most certainly am as well.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2020, 11:18 AM by TJBender.)

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta...LRIGPRPXQ/

In other news, three more COVID-19 patients have died in Georgia, taking the total to four. Somewhat ironically, two of the three were infected the same way: by attending a funeral.

(03-19-2020, 11:18 AM)TJBender Wrote: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta...LRIGPRPXQ/

In other news, three more COVID-19 patients have died in Georgia, taking the total to four. Somewhat ironically, two of the three were infected the same way: by attending a funeral.

Any idea on their age?

(03-19-2020, 11:05 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 10:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: How is your wife doing, Gabe?

Thanks for checking in and I appreciate everyone's well-wishes yesterday. 

She's doing alright (as am I), I think more spooked than sick. When you wake up at 3am with chills and shortness of breath during a pandemic, that's understandable, I guess - especially when multiple coworkers are either testing positive or showing flu-like symptoms. 

Our estimation is that she'll turn up negative because her condition hasn't worsened. We basically got a two-for-one on the testing...because if she's negative, I most certainly am as well.

That is great news.  Even if the test is positive it's not the end of the world as long as you both take care of yourselves.  The key thing is not to panic.  Good luck to you and your bride.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-19-2020, 11:20 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 11:18 AM)TJBender Wrote: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta...LRIGPRPXQ/

Any idea on their age?

What the hell does it matter? This whole "age" defense is [BLEEP] [BLEEP]. If your dad was 70 and died from COVID-19, would you trivialize it by saying, "Well, he was elderly, and therefore this shouldn't be considered a big deal"? One of my family members is roughly 30 years old and in a high-risk group. They're living literally locked into their home right now, by themselves, with no visitors invited for the next 30 days. If they get infected with this thing, their odds get very bad very quickly. Would their death not matter because they have "preexisting conditions"? Or would it count less somehow? Remember when AIDS didn't matter because it was only affecting gay men? Trying to write this off by saying that COVID-19 isn't as big a deal because it only kills people who would have died soon anyway is no better than dismissing the "gay plague".

For as strongly as some of you cling to the idea that all life, all life is sacred, there's sure not much consideration being given to those who are already alive.

(03-19-2020, 11:46 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 11:20 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Any idea on their age?

What the hell does it matter? This whole "age" defense is [BLEEP] [BLEEP]. If your dad was 70 and died from COVID-19, would you trivialize it by saying, "Well, he was elderly, and therefore this shouldn't be considered a big deal"? One of my family members is roughly 30 years old and in a high-risk group. They're living literally locked into their home right now, by themselves, with no visitors invited for the next 30 days. If they get infected with this thing, their odds get very bad very quickly. Would their death not matter because they have "preexisting conditions"? Or would it count less somehow? Remember when AIDS didn't matter because it was only affecting gay men? Trying to write this off by saying that COVID-19 isn't as big a deal because it only kills people who would have died soon anyway is no better than dismissing the "gay plague".

For as strongly as some of you cling to the idea that all life, all life is sacred, there's sure not much consideration being given to those who are already alive.

So somehow u got to denouncing everyone whose pro life because he asked if the risk profile of the most dangerous contagion in our countries history had changed?  Take a few deep breaths.

(03-19-2020, 12:04 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 11:46 AM)TJBender Wrote: What the hell does it matter? This whole "age" defense is [BLEEP] [BLEEP]. If your dad was 70 and died from COVID-19, would you trivialize it by saying, "Well, he was elderly, and therefore this shouldn't be considered a big deal"? One of my family members is roughly 30 years old and in a high-risk group. They're living literally locked into their home right now, by themselves, with no visitors invited for the next 30 days. If they get infected with this thing, their odds get very bad very quickly. Would their death not matter because they have "preexisting conditions"? Or would it count less somehow? Remember when AIDS didn't matter because it was only affecting gay men? Trying to write this off by saying that COVID-19 isn't as big a deal because it only kills people who would have died soon anyway is no better than dismissing the "gay plague".

So somehow u got to denouncing everyone whose pro life because he asked if the risk profile of the most dangerous contagion in our countries history had changed?  Take a few deep breaths.

No, I got to the point of being sick to [BLEEP] of seeing so many people say, "Well, it's only killing people who would have died anyway." Guess what: we're all going to die anyway. That doesn't make the life of a 70-year-old worth any more or less than that of a -6 month old, and there's significant overlap between those who believe both ways.

(03-19-2020, 11:46 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 11:20 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Any idea on their age?

It matters because specific groups are more likely to succumb to the virus. If we see a sudden explosion is deaths in the 25 to 40 year old range that creates specific concerns that we aren't currently dealing with or expecting that. On the other hand, if the deaths were two octogenarians with several underlying health concerns then their deaths are in line with our expectations. You are dealing with this emotionally because of your personal connections. That's neither right nor wrong, but SC1's question is legitimate and your response is a bit over the top.

(03-19-2020, 11:02 AM)Last42min Wrote: Testing is SO important to stopping this. I have no idea why this is taking so long. The lack of news on this is also disconcerting.

Testing is taking so long because the Well Worried are overwhelming testing sites the same as they are ravishing the grocery stores.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-19-2020, 12:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 11:46 AM)TJBender Wrote: What the hell does it matter? This whole "age" defense is [BLEEP] [BLEEP]. If your dad was 70 and died from COVID-19, would you trivialize it by saying, "Well, he was elderly, and therefore this shouldn't be considered a big deal"? One of my family members is roughly 30 years old and in a high-risk group. They're living literally locked into their home right now, by themselves, with no visitors invited for the next 30 days. If they get infected with this thing, their odds get very bad very quickly. Would their death not matter because they have "preexisting conditions"? Or would it count less somehow? Remember when AIDS didn't matter because it was only affecting gay men? Trying to write this off by saying that COVID-19 isn't as big a deal because it only kills people who would have died soon anyway is no better than dismissing the "gay plague".

It matters because specific groups are more likely to succumb to the virus. If we see a sudden explosion is deaths in the 25 to 40 year old range that creates specific concerns that we aren't currently dealing with or expecting that. On the other hand, if the deaths were two octogenarians with several underlying health concerns then their deaths are in line with our expectations. You are dealing with this emotionally because of your personal connections. That's neither right nor wrong, but SC1's question is legitimate and your response is a bit over the top.

(03-19-2020, 11:02 AM)Last42min Wrote: Testing is SO important to stopping this. I have no idea why this is taking so long. The lack of news on this is also disconcerting.

Testing is taking so long because the Well Worried are overwhelming testing sites the same as they are ravishing the grocery stores.

Yea, I know a few of them myself.

Morons. Complete and utter morons. They get food poisoning from eating seafood (vomiting) and immediately think it's COVID-19. So the hospital actually admits and quarantines them because they don't want to make a mistake.

We are screwed thanks to the sheeple.

(03-19-2020, 12:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 12:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It matters because specific groups are more likely to succumb to the virus. If we see a sudden explosion is deaths in the 25 to 40 year old range that creates specific concerns that we aren't currently dealing with or expecting that. On the other hand, if the deaths were two octogenarians with several underlying health concerns then their deaths are in line with our expectations. You are dealing with this emotionally because of your personal connections. That's neither right nor wrong, but SC1's question is legitimate and your response is a bit over the top.

Morons. Complete and utter morons. They get food poisoning from eating seafood (vomiting) and immediately think it's COVID-19. So the hospital actually admits and quarantines them because they don't want to make a mistake.

The sheep are not really the problem here.
The people listening to the advice of government health agencies and responsible TV news personalities are letting other people make their decisions about risk acceptance for them. You could say they're being sheep.
But they're not the ones hoarding hand sanitizer and toilet paper.
it's the bulls and the bears, who think they know better than the government and health experts, and are trying to stay ahead of what is next, that are causing these shortages.
None of the experts told anyone to hoard toilet paper.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-19-2020, 01:10 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 12:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Yea, I know a few of them myself.

The sheep are not really the problem here.
The people listening to the advice of government health agencies and responsible TV news personalities are letting other people make their decisions about risk acceptance for them. You could say they're being sheep.
it's the bulls and the bears, who think they know better than the government and health experts, and are trying to stay ahead of what is next, that are causing these shortages.

Experts theorize that people are so completely stupid they assume the virus causes diarrhea which is why the TP is gone.. and still gone.. Which is the fault of the media for not calling it frigging SARS. It's SARS people!

(03-19-2020, 12:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 12:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It matters because specific groups are more likely to succumb to the virus. If we see a sudden explosion is deaths in the 25 to 40 year old range that creates specific concerns that we aren't currently dealing with or expecting that. On the other hand, if the deaths were two octogenarians with several underlying health concerns then their deaths are in line with our expectations. You are dealing with this emotionally because of your personal connections. That's neither right nor wrong, but SC1's question is legitimate and your response is a bit over the top.

Yup.  My wife has a head cold (stuffed up sinuses and sneezing).  She has no fever, no sore throat, no shortness of breath yet she was sent home from work (which is actually the right thing to do).  Because of that I had to take the day off today and tomorrow since we both work in the same building and live together, even though I have no symptoms.  I don't mind taking the time off because the risk of actually catching the virus is higher at my place of employment.

I'm going to utilize the time off to unplug and go work out on my property over the weekend.  Neither one of us are seeking a test for the virus since we don't have any of the key symptoms.  My wife may or may not join me on Saturday depending on how she feels.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-19-2020, 01:13 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 01:10 PM)mikesez Wrote: The sheep are not really the problem here.

Experts theorize that people are so completely stupid they assume the virus causes diarrhea which is why the TP is gone.. and still gone.. Which is the fault of the media for not calling it frigging SARS. It's SARS people!

Most people are not this special kind of stupid.  Unfortunately, many areas have one or two people stupid enough to believe (a) the virus will cause diarrhea and (b) buying the whole store full of TP and selling to your neighbors for profit later is a good, ethical way of making money.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2020, 01:41 PM by mikesez.)

(03-19-2020, 07:59 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 07:35 AM)mikesez Wrote: To kind of bring this back around to football, next year's NFL season is going to look very different.
Most likely, the players will be isolated with their teams, and regularly tested.
Most likely, you will have to answer a questionnaire and get a temperature scan before you get to go to the game. You may have to promise to stay away from vulnerable people for 14 days after the game.
There's a small chance that they cancel the season, and a small chance that they choose to play the games, but without fans.

If were still at this rate of spread in sept.  No one will be thinking about football.  They'll be thinking about food.  

Kickoff is 6 months from now.  Between treatment and containment we should be well on the downslope by then.

I predict we'll be on a downslope then as well, enough that NFL games will take place.  But there will be a lot of new precautions.  
By then there may be a titer test for COVID-19, and they may set aside some proportion of the seats for people with certificates showing positive tests (meaning they were exposed and recovered, and are thus immune).
That's a little far fetched, but temperature scans for all fans at the stadium are probably a given at this point.
They're also probably going to come up with a way to test the players before each game, and quarantine them while they're waiting for the test results.  This will play into decisions about which coaches, staff, and players to send on road games, and might change the way the inactive players are announced.
There is also a chance that the season begins normally, but then we get hit with another period of "social distancing" in the middle of the season.

(03-19-2020, 01:13 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 01:10 PM)mikesez Wrote: The sheep are not really the problem here.

Personally, I thought it was due to the fact people feared they'd be in isolation/self-quarantine for long periods of time, hence the need to stock up. Scarcity purchasing and opportunistic people buying pallets of TP and re-selling it at substantial mark-ups made it worse. 

I personally haven't seen otherwise. Not saying the avg person isn't stupid enough to believe Covid19 causes diarrhea, just haven't seen those experts' opinions.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-19-2020, 01:38 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 01:13 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Experts theorize that people are so completely stupid they assume the virus causes diarrhea which is why the TP is gone.. and still gone.. Which is the fault of the media for not calling it frigging SARS. It's SARS people!
Personally, I thought it was due to the fact people feared they'd be in isolation/self-quarantine for long periods of time, hence the need to stock up. Scarcity purchasing and opportunistic people buying pallets of TP and re-selling it at substantial mark-ups made it worse. 

I personally haven't seen otherwise. Not saying the avg person isn't stupid enough to believe Covid19 causes diarrhea, just haven't seen those experts' opinions.

It was on a Canadian News website where they were consulting pandemic and panic experts about why toilet paper is gone across the globe.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2020, 01:53 PM by Byron LeftTown.)

My wife just returned from Publix. Fairly busy and they were out of many things. Some things had a purchase limit.
She bought the last bottle of Vitamin C pills. I don't know why since we have 5 citrus trees.
We should be good for a few weeks.

Pro tip: fresh eggs will keep in the fridge for 6-12 months if you dip them in mineral oil.

Why is the governor delaying closing the Florida beaches?  I believe this is a huge miscalculation which he is ultimately going to regret. Please send back those Generation Z idiots so they can't spread anything else around our state.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-19-2020, 01:31 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 07:59 AM)jj82284 Wrote: If were still at this rate of spread in sept.  No one will be thinking about football.  They'll be thinking about food.  

Kickoff is 6 months from now.  Between treatment and containment we should be well on the downslope by then.

I predict we'll be on a downslope then as well, enough that NFL games will take place.  But there will be a lot of new precautions.  
By then there may be a titer test for COVID-19, and they may set aside some proportion of the seats for people with certificates showing positive tests (meaning they were exposed and recovered, and are thus immune).
That's a little far fetched, but temperature scans for all fans at the stadium are probably a given at this point.
They're also probably going to come up with a way to test the players before each game, and quarantine them while they're waiting for the test results.  This will play into decisions about which coaches, staff, and players to send on road games, and might change the way the inactive players are announced.
There is also a chance that the season begins normally, but then we get hit with another period of "social distancing" in the middle of the season.

If anything, the latter is more likely.  They're already rolling out preliminary treatment protocols, we are going to leap forward in testing to a matter of hours (where they are in south Korea) as Jag pointed out were going to be smarter about familial quarantine etc.  This is America.  Attention deficit ewwwww shiney.  Once we get the all clear and no new cases for a month or so this will be in the rear view.  There will be some kicking themselves for not doing what I did investing in the market while it artificially tanked but that's about it.

Things are gonna start turning the corner. The drug that treats malaria is gonna help flatten the curve by alot