Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

This is the wrong time for trump to waiver. I think this week will be bad for the NE, but should start to get better in a couple weeks. One if there failings with this strategy in the US is how much longer it's going to take to spread through all of the states. We don't have a small geographic area, which I fear will prolong our economic shutdown compared to smaller nations.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-23-2020, 04:23 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Yes a world class University or you...

A world class university writing scenarios on assumptions, conjecture and incomplete datasets.

(03-23-2020, 04:39 PM)TJBender Wrote: The UK has locked down

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03...ures-shut/

Too bad they don't have a Bill of Rights to prevent that kind of tyranny.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

What right are the UK missing out on?
Cool let's just wait a couple of years for some scenario modelling

(03-23-2020, 05:04 PM)Last42min Wrote: This is the wrong time for trump to waiver. I think this week will be bad for the NE, but should start to get better in a couple weeks. One if there failings with this strategy in the US is how much longer it's going to take to spread through all of the states. We don't have a small geographic area, which I fear will prolong our economic shutdown compared to smaller nations.

For Trump to waver how?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-23-2020, 09:04 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 05:04 PM)Last42min Wrote: This is the wrong time for trump to waiver. I think this week will be bad for the NE, but should start to get better in a couple weeks. One if there failings with this strategy in the US is how much longer it's going to take to spread through all of the states. We don't have a small geographic area, which I fear will prolong our economic shutdown compared to smaller nations.

For Trump to waver how?

I guess there is pressure on him to allow businesses to continue operating, to reduce the economic impact.

Waiver in dropping the social distancing. 15 days. After that, I believe the worst for the biggest populations will begin to level off. Hopefully, we can then redirect medical equipment and supplies to the rest of the country.

(03-23-2020, 10:26 PM)Last42min Wrote: Waiver in dropping the social distancing. 15 days. After that, I believe the worst for the biggest populations will begin to level off. Hopefully, we can then redirect medical equipment and supplies to the rest of the country.

Hes talking about re-evaluation after the 15days ends.  

I've watched all the press conferences, a few days ago he let it slip that the rates of hospitalization and mortality are a lot less than originally expected.  The imperial collegeesque doomsday models all took data from the early part of the outbreak and what was feared as a 4-5% mortality is going to probably be a total mortality around .5% as we get a better picture of the asymptomatic population.  You dont shut down a world economy on that basis. And that's before we develop the pharmaceutical capability to avert/reduce mortality/morbidity.  

He cant jump the gun, but I think that there is data to suggest there is light @ the end of the tunnell in may/june not august/september

Trump made an Arizona couple drink fish tank cleaner. Orange man bad! Get this guy out of office now!

Dr. Fauci is gonzo. You don't disagree with OM at the podium
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 09:48 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-24-2020, 09:21 AM)Gabe Wrote: Dr. Fauci is gonzo. You don't disagree with OM at the podium

I listened pretty carefully to what Dr Fauci said, and he wasn't really disagreeing in my opinion.  He was kind of clarifying without actually disagreeing.  I think the media made a little too much of it, which, ironically, is probably the reason Trump sidelined him.

For example, Trump says we have this drug that shows a lot of promise in treating the disease.  

Fauci says, it's untested.  <that's not disagreeing. 

Some reporter asks Dr Fauci, is that drug effective in preventing Covid-19?  

Fauci says, no.  < But that's not disagreeing either, because Trump never said it would prevent the disease, just treat it.  

But then the media says Dr Fauci is correcting the President, and Trump, being Trump, takes him off the platform.

(03-24-2020, 09:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 09:21 AM)Gabe Wrote: Dr. Fauci is gonzo. You don't disagree with OM at the podium

I listened pretty carefully to what Dr Fauci said, and he wasn't really disagreeing in my opinion.  He was kind of clarifying without actually disagreeing.  I think the media made a little too much of it, which, ironically, is probably the reason Trump sidelined him.

For example, Trump says we have this drug that shows a lot of promise in treating the disease.  

Fauci says, it's untested.  <that's not disagreeing. 

Some reporter asks Dr Fauci, is that drug effective in preventing Covid-19?  

Fauci says, no.  < But that's not disagreeing either, because Trump never said it would prevent the disease, just treat it.  

But then the media says Dr Fauci is correcting the President, and Trump, being Trump, takes him off the platform.

Meh, Trump actually respects the guy.

And he's got enough political clout for it not to matter.

Regardless... Trump is merely talking about a drug that has seen success in treating the disease in other parts of the world where malaria is common - that's anecdotal evidence to a medical doctor - but to a man trying to keep people calm in the worst time this country has endured since 9/11... it's just something to offer a little hope.

Trump has a larger job than Fauci. Fauci is juggling only the medical side of things. Trump is juggling both the medical and economic side of the virus making sure our nation doesn't go into a depression.

Two GA healthcare workers dead from the virus:

https://www.ajc.com/news/virus-claims-tw...oZ7QLvPZN/

(03-24-2020, 10:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Two GA healthcare workers dead from the virus:

I afraid the deaths in the healthcare sector are going to be like the deaths of firefighters and police at the World Trade Center.  Yesterday I heard that in Italy, so far, 20 doctors have now died of the virus.

(03-24-2020, 10:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 10:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Two GA healthcare workers dead from the virus:

I afraid the deaths in the healthcare sector are going to be like the deaths of firefighters and police at the World Trade Center.  Yesterday I heard that in Italy, so far, 20 doctors have now died of the virus.

Yet there's still no urgency from the federal level to expedite protective equipment for these workers. 
State governors still being told to allocate these life saving measures on their own. 
This is wrong and it will cost lives of doctors, nurses, technicians and hospital employees.

(03-24-2020, 09:52 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Trump has a larger job than Fauci. Fauci is juggling only the medical side of things. Trump is juggling both the medical and economic side of the virus making sure our nation doesn't go into a depression.

Yep Fauci's job is to focus on the worst case scenario and stop it. Trump has to balance his advice with everything else and keep the healthy people alive and working. We can't kill the healthy people with a dead economy to save a small number of people. It sounds bad, but so far it isn't killing enough people to shut down the economy and ruin everyone's life.

(03-24-2020, 10:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 10:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I afraid the deaths in the healthcare sector are going to be like the deaths of firefighters and police at the World Trade Center.  Yesterday I heard that in Italy, so far, 20 doctors have now died of the virus.

Yet there's still no urgency from the federal level to expedite protective equipment for these workers. 
State governors still being told to allocate these life saving measures on their own. 
This is wrong and it will cost lives of doctors, nurses, technicians and hospital employees.

So... you think local government is too inept to handle things?

Jacksonville, which is no where near at capacity in the hospitals is setting up an emergency hospital with 250 ICU beds.

India is about to go on full-lockdown.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-24-2020, 10:45 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 10:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yet there's still no urgency from the federal level to expedite protective equipment for these workers. 

So... you think local government is too inept to handle things?

Jacksonville, which is no where near at capacity in the hospitals is setting up an emergency hospital with 250 ICU beds.

No. 

I think the supply chains and availability are overwhelmed by the demand for this protective gear. (and ventilators)
Meanwhile the Feds claim to have stockpiles and to be acquiring more stock.  Yet they are NOT expediting this stock to states where hospitals are breaking safety protocol to continue treating patients, therefore endangering lives of hospital staff. 

This inaction is bordering on criminal at this point. The supply chain is not healthy enough to provide crucial medical supplies during a pandemic and it must be augmented by the federal government so that lives are not needlessly lost. 

Two hospital workers just died from this virus a stone's throw from Jacksonville by the way. It's not about the capacity (yet) - it's about adequate measures to protect medical staff not being taken due to shortage of PPE.

Here is a dashboard that is tracking cases in the state of Florida:

https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdas...5dc7837c86