Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-25-2020, 10:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 09:53 AM)jj82284 Wrote: The defense production act is about controlling private businesses not military infrastructure.  

Just saying "not good enough" means jack all.  If your tasked with supplying billions of units, most of which dont exist yet, then it takes time to make pack and shop them. 

Which governors?  Names states and viral concentrations.  Ny just got 4k ventilators, a whole bunch of ppe, same with xali & Washington.  The national guard is building field hospitals and were deploying 2 floating hospitals.  Were rapidly accelerating production but you cant just sit here and say NOTHING has been done in the middle of the biggest antiviral response in the countries history.  

Well get into the fact that governors bare the primary responsibility for state procurement down the line.

Not good enough means exactly that. Too little too late. Hospital workers are put at unnecessary risk and much of that could have been prevented with more decisive and timely action. 

The states with governors and mayors begging for help are published all over the internet. California, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Kentucky, and the list goes on. 

NY got 4000 ventilators after requesting 30,000. It's a start. And it's not enough. 
Also - the numbers released by the white house of PPE items are miniscule compared to the need/demand. 

I never said nothing has been done. I've been crystal clear that too little is being done and action was initiated with a profound lack of haste. 

Now - Concerning the private sector supply chain that is being overwhelmed and the need to augment that:

Here is the portion of the Defense Production Act that would allow our military to take part in the distribution process. 

(1) Authorized activities.--To reduce current or projected
       shortfalls of industrial resources, critical technology items,
       or essential materials needed for national defense purposes,
       subject to such regulations as the President may prescribe, the
       President may authorize a guaranteeing agency to provide
       guarantees of loans by private institutions for the purpose of
       financing any contractor, subcontractor, provider of critical
       infrastructure, or other person in support of production
       capabilities or supplies that are deemed by the guaranteeing
       agency to be necessary to create, maintain, expedite, expand,
       protect, or restore production and deliveries or services
       essential to the national defense.

This is not happening and I maintain that it should be happening. 

Give me a good reason why the federal government should not be making efforts to use our military's ability to supply itself to temporarily supply our hospitals that are in dire need?  

The basic fallacy of progressivism is that by a single stroke of a pen, economic reality can be suspended.  

For instance, if the whole of the us economy was built on producing 10 illion masks per month, just signing an executive order isn't going to magically make 100 million extra masks appear out of thin air. They have to.be made. Packed and shipped.  We've already signed contracts with producers to increase production to half a billion masks per year.

Take ventilators for example.  It takes 6 months, at a minimum, too convert or build a sterile assembly line!  Those in existence are already running @ capacity.  Forcing a company that doesnt build them to abandon their capabilities and embark on a process that wont be completed until the end of the crisis is emotional folly, not sober and judicious management.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-25-2020, 11:10 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 10:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Not good enough means exactly that. Too little too late. Hospital workers are put at unnecessary risk and much of that could have been prevented with more decisive and timely action. 

The states with governors and mayors begging for help are published all over the internet. California, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Kentucky, and the list goes on. 

NY got 4000 ventilators after requesting 30,000. It's a start. And it's not enough. 
Also - the numbers released by the white house of PPE items are miniscule compared to the need/demand. 

I never said nothing has been done. I've been crystal clear that too little is being done and action was initiated with a profound lack of haste. 

Now - Concerning the private sector supply chain that is being overwhelmed and the need to augment that:

Here is the portion of the Defense Production Act that would allow our military to take part in the distribution process. 

Give me a good reason why the federal government should not be making efforts to use our military's ability to supply itself to temporarily supply our hospitals that are in dire need?  

The basic fallacy of progressivism is that by a single stroke of a pen, economic reality can be suspended.  

For instance, if the whole of the us economy was built on producing 10 illion masks per month, just signing an executive order isn't going to magically make 100 million extra masks appear out of thin air. They have to.be made. Packed and shipped.  We've already signed contracts with producers to increase production to half a billion masks per year.

Take ventilators for example.  It takes 6 months, at a minimum, too convert or build a sterile assembly line!  Those in existence are already running @ capacity.  Forcing a company that doesnt build them to abandon their capabilities and embark on a process that wont be completed until the end of the crisis is emotional folly, not sober and judicious management.

So rhetoric instead of an answer to a direct question is your response?  OK

I'm not concerned with supply so much as distribution. The masks are being produced and stockpiled, and ventilators are not far behind in being produced at adequate numbers.  However late the response may have been - action is being taken there. However -  They are not reaching the people that need them at all in some cases and in low numbers in others -  and there is a lack of urgency to take action to quicken the process. This reliance on private sector supply chains is a failure to take appropriate action. 

I feel like I've repeated the same things to no avail, so I leave this for awhile and I wish everyone here good health and of course no ill will.  I don't take politics personally, and this debate for me is purely motivated by concern for the welfare of hospital staff and the citizens who need their services.  I can assure you I'd be disappointed by the inaction I've pointed out no matter who held office right now. 

Unfortunately I'm not able to feel very confident about the health of my loved ones in the healthcare industry right now as they bypass crucial protocol to treat patients because they are undersupplied.

(03-25-2020, 11:01 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yet state governors are still saying they've received nothing - and the defense production act was merely waved about but never employed. That is indeed inaction, and the weeks that passed before taking measures are also an example of inaction. 

If you think that our federal government's swift and effective use of the defense production act would have been unable to counteract the CURRENT shortages of PPE at our nation's hospitals (had it actually been employed) then our military's infrastructure needs to be seriously reevaluated. 
 I'm sorry - blaming private sector supply chain limitation is simply not good enough in this situation.

Fair points, although the "100th case" start point was actually meant to offset the variance of ramped up testing, since it places each nation's early number closer to the point that they did in fact ramp up efforts.  Far from a level playing field nonetheless.

You didnt type that?

Please try harder. 
A state saying they've received nothing to date in no way is ME stating "nothing has been done" or however you worded that. You're convoluting the original point.

(03-25-2020, 11:44 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 11:10 AM)jj82284 Wrote: The basic fallacy of progressivism is that by a single stroke of a pen, economic reality can be suspended.  

So rhetoric instead of an answer to a direct question is your response?  OK

I'm not concerned with supply so much as distribution. The masks are being produced and stockpiled, and ventilators are not far behind in being produced at adequate numbers.  However late the response may have been - action is being taken there. However -  They are not reaching the people that need them at all in some cases and in low numbers in others -  and there is a lack of urgency to take action to quicken the process. This reliance on private sector supply chains is a failure to take appropriate action. 

I feel like I've repeated the same things to no avail, so I leave this for awhile and I wish everyone here good health and of course no ill will.  I don't take politics personally, and this debate for me is purely motivated by concern for the welfare of hospital staff and the citizens who need their services.  I can assure you I'd be disappointed by the inaction I've pointed out no matter who held office right now. 

Unfortunately I'm not able to feel very confident about the health of my loved ones in the healthcare industry right now as they bypass crucial protocol to treat patients because they are undersupplied.

(03-25-2020, 11:01 AM)jj82284 Wrote: You didnt type that?

Please try harder. 
A state saying they've received nothing to date in no way is ME stating "nothing has been done" or however you worded that. You're convoluting the original point.

So you did type that.  Just checking. 

This morning, Andrew Cuomo: "the president and his team are using the DPA well, its leverage dealing with private companies.  We have purchased all there is to purchase on the WORLD MARKET.  One ever anticipated needing 30k ventilators to meet a health crisis.  Even when a company agrees to increase production, there is RAMP UP TIME to build new supply chains and increase staff"  

It's not about distribution, executive orders or the rest of it it's about production and logistics.  Our economy was never designed to meet this kind of demand.  Were making the changes to meet the demand but that takes time.  

We all care about HC professionals.  They are on the front lines of a war no one saw coming.  That doesnt change the economic realities around supply and logistics.  Only once we understand those challenges can we really make efficient policy to take care of those we hold dear.

Good news, bad news...

Good news- the virus is not mutating quickly, so a vaccine would be very effective and might last a person more than a year. That is hugely good news for the long term.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/th...story.html

Bad news- a test of Hydroxychloroquine showed no effect on patients.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...e-in-study

(03-25-2020, 12:21 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 11:44 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: So rhetoric instead of an answer to a direct question is your response?  OK

Please try harder. 

So you did type that.  Just checking. 
Yes, I typed something that had no relevance to point you completely failed to make. Check on that. 

This morning, Andrew Cuomo: "the president and his team are using the DPA well, its leverage dealing with private companies.  We have purchased all there is to purchase on the WORLD MARKET.  One ever anticipated needing 30k ventilators to meet a health crisis.  Even when a company agrees to increase production, there is RAMP UP TIME to build new supply chains and increase staff"  

It's not about distribution, executive orders or the rest of it it's about production and logistics.  Our economy was never designed to meet this kind of demand.  Were making the changes to meet the demand but that takes time.  

We all care about HC professionals.  They are on the front lines of a war no one saw coming.  That doesnt change the economic realities around supply and logistics.  Only once we understand those challenges can we really make efficient policy to take care of those we hold dear.

I emphatically disagree with the bolded. 
The DPA allows for and CALLS FOR the president to augment distribution and he isn't doing that. Relying on UPD/FEDEX etc tight now when they are overwhelmed is ridiculous and irresponsible. 
The primary reason hospitals are breaching protocol with PPE right now is DISTRIBUTION . But you say it's not about distribution. Well -  It is. Unequivocally so.

(03-25-2020, 12:27 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Good news, bad news...

Good news- the virus is not mutating quickly, so a vaccine would be very effective and might last a person more than a year.  That is hugely good news for the long term.

30 patients versus an entire country?

(03-25-2020, 12:53 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:27 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Good news, bad news...

Good news- the virus is not mutating quickly, so a vaccine would be very effective and might last a person more than a year.  That is hugely good news for the long term.

30 patients versus an entire country?

I don't understand what your point is.  Please elaborate.

(03-25-2020, 12:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:21 PM)jj82284 Wrote: So you did type that.  Just checking. 
Yes, I typed something that had no relevance to point you completely failed to make. Check on that. 

I emphatically disagree with the bolded. 
The DPA allows for and CALLS FOR the president to augment distribution and he isn't doing that. Relying on UPD/FEDEX etc tight now when they are overwhelmed is ridiculous and irresponsible. 
The primary reason hospitals are breaching protocol with PPE right now is DISTRIBUTION . But you say it's not about distribution. Well -  It is. Unequivocally so.

I thought u said u were leaving?  Desantis mentioned specifically that a private citizen has more technology to track deliveries than he does waiting on a fema package.  

How's the VA supply chain work?  Anyone asking Venezuela for supplies?

(03-25-2020, 12:59 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:53 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: 30 patients versus an entire country?

That test was conducted in China on 30 patients.

The anecdotal evidence of it helping were in countries where the drug is prevalent for malaria.

So thousands of people versus 30.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 01:18 PM by The Real Marty.)

(03-25-2020, 01:11 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:59 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't understand what your point is.  Please elaborate.

That test was conducted in China on 30 patients.

The anecdotal evidence of it helping were in countries where the drug is prevalent for malaria.

So thousands of people versus 30.

It definitely is effective for malaria.  The question is, is it effective for Covid-19.  

I don't understand your reference to thousands of people.  As far as I know, it hasn't been tested on thousands of Covid-19 patients.

Granted, the test in China was very small, but the test that led to the idea that it might be effective was also very small and totally unscientific, and run by a doctor who has been touting the drug for years, so there might be a bit of bias there.

(03-25-2020, 12:59 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:53 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: 30 patients versus an entire country?

The study compared chloroquine to other Chinese antiviral regiments.  On average it takes a person 14 to 20 days to recover if healthy.  If ANY DRUG takes 13 patients down to a week that's a positive.  

No one is claiming that q z is the optimal treatment.  We are saying it reduces complications and hospitalization versus not treating it with an antiviral or just waiting on a vent.  

Were at day 2 of the data collection in ny and elsewhere.  This time next week well know.

Right now I think there are 300 trials for targeted theraputics.  We only need a couple to pop.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 01:25 PM by The Real Marty.)

(03-25-2020, 01:17 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:59 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't understand what your point is.  Please elaborate.

The study compared chloroquine to other Chinese antiviral regiments.  On average it takes a person 14 to 20 days to recover if healthy.  If ANY DRUG takes 13 patients down to a week that's a positive.  

No one is claiming that q z is the optimal treatment.  We are saying it reduces complications and hospitalization versus not treating it with an antiviral or just waiting on a vent.  

Were at day 2 of the data collection in ny and elsewhere.  This time next week well know.

Right now I think there are 300 trials for targeted theraputics.  We only need a couple to pop.

I totally agree.  I was just reporting that this one small test in China did not have the hoped-for results.  I'm not trying to make any point, I was just reporting what the article said:  

Which was- 

In the Chinese study, which was conducted by researchers from the department of infection and immunity at the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center, the 15 patients who didn’t get hydroxychloroquine were treated with conventional care.

This includes bed rest, oxgen inhalation, and the use of anti-viral drugs recommended in China’s treatment guidelines like lopinavir and ritonavir, and antibiotics when necessary.
One patient treated with hydroxychloroquine progressed to severe disease during the study. Four patients given the medicine developed diarrhea and signs of potential liver damage, compared with three getting conventional treatment.
The researchers concluded that additional studies using larger numbers of patients are needed to fully investigate the drug’s risks and benefits.

This is the treatment being used in S. Korea, too.

(03-25-2020, 01:20 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 01:17 PM)jj82284 Wrote: The study compared chloroquine to other Chinese antiviral regiments.  On average it takes a person 14 to 20 days to recover if healthy.  If ANY DRUG takes 13 patients down to a week that's a positive.  

I totally agree.  I was just reporting that this one small test in China did not have the hoped-for results.  I'm not trying to make any point, I was just reporting what the article said:  

Which was- 

In the Chinese study, which was conducted by researchers from the department of infection and immunity at the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center, the 15 patients who didn’t get hydroxychloroquine were treated with conventional care.

This includes bed rest, oxgen inhalation, and the use of anti-viral drugs recommended in China’s treatment guidelines like lopinavir and ritonavir, and antibiotics when necessary.
One patient treated with hydroxychloroquine progressed to severe disease during the study. Four patients given the medicine developed diarrhea and signs of potential liver damage, compared with three getting conventional treatment.
The researchers concluded that additional studies using larger numbers of patients are needed to fully investigate the drug’s risks and benefits.

13 patients cutting their infection time by half and only one progressing to critical care would be a gamechanger.   

Right now we would expect the disease to last 2 to three weeks have 3 or 4 critical cases and potentially one death.

The study didnt compare qz to USA current standard of care, They compared that to another set of anti viral and anti-biotics.  If lopinavir or ritonavir are better, then use them.  

Our point ans the president's point is that a.) Qz are already available in generic form.  B.) Are documented to have some affect @ improving outcomes.

(03-25-2020, 01:17 PM)jj82284 Wrote:

FTA: 
13 out of 15 in the experiment group (given malaria drugs) recovered in one week.
14 out of 15 in the control group also recovered in one week.
The results were not statistically significant.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-25-2020, 01:44 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 01:17 PM)jj82284 Wrote: The study compared chloroquine to other Chinese antiviral regiments.  On average it takes a person 14 to 20 days to recover if healthy.  If ANY DRUG takes 13 patients down to a week that's a positive.  

FTA: 
13 out of 15 in the experiment group (given malaria drugs) recovered in one week.
14 out of 15 in the control group also recovered in one week.
The results were not statistically significant.

Control group meaning 2 chinese antiviral drugs and antibiotics.  That's not the current US standard of care.  If were using those drugs then please correct me.  

Right now under current us protocols it takes 2 to 3 weeks to clear the virus with higher complication rates than the chloroquine zpack test group in the above study and those results are in line with not divergent from the French study on qz.

(03-25-2020, 10:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 09:53 AM)jj82284 Wrote: The defense production act is about controlling private businesses not military infrastructure.  

Just saying "not good enough" means jack all.  If your tasked with supplying billions of units, most of which dont exist yet, then it takes time to make pack and shop them. 

Which governors?  Names states and viral concentrations.  Ny just got 4k ventilators, a whole bunch of ppe, same with xali & Washington.  The national guard is building field hospitals and were deploying 2 floating hospitals.  Were rapidly accelerating production but you cant just sit here and say NOTHING has been done in the middle of the biggest antiviral response in the countries history.  

Well get into the fact that governors bare the primary responsibility for state procurement down the line.

Not good enough means exactly that. Too little too late. Hospital workers are put at unnecessary risk and much of that could have been prevented with more decisive and timely action. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think from reading the thread and what you are getting at is the military should be the supply channel rather than FedEx/UPS/USPS.  Is that what you are saying?

If so I can give a partial answer based on my experience working in/around the military (more specifically the Navy).  Much of the supplies that the Navy procures comes via FedEx primarily.  It would actually be less efficient (in my opinion) to divert shipments that would be going directly to states and more specifically to the point-of-use to military installations for distribution.

I understand your concerns and frustration.  I would like to see supplies get to where they are needed ASAP as well, but I just don't see how using the military would be more efficient.  The only way that I could see that being a possibility is if (hypothetically) say there was a stockpile of supplies already located at NAS Jax.  I suppose military transport to local hospitals would work as well as loading onto a cargo aircraft and flying them directly to states where supplies are needed.  However, we don't know where or what is stockpiled by the federal government.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I gotta be honest. I was a little concerned about this bill not funding the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, but our politicians really came through for us in a time of great need with a 25M donation.

You can all rest easier tonight.

Left wants the money for the Government to decide. Right wants the money for the Corporations to decide. Why don't you just give the people their [BLEEP] money back that you steal paycheck to paycheck?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-25-2020, 03:20 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Left wants the money for the Government to decide. Right wants the money for the Corporations to decide. Why don't you just give the people their [BLEEP] money back that you steal paycheck to paycheck?

I can't disagree with you there.  Where is the damn like button?!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.