Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2020, 07:42 AM by The Real Marty.)

The first glimmer of hope for bending the curve?  Here are the last 7 days' cases, and the percentage increase from the previous day.  

33,300 31%
43,800 32%
53,700 23%
65,800 23%
85,800 30%
101,700 19%
121,500 19%

It's a very small sample size, but the percentage increase is trending down in spite of increased testing.

Too soon to tell?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dumb New Yawker trying to make Jax a NYC.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/20...-covid-19/

(03-29-2020, 07:59 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Dumb New Yawker trying to make Jax a NYC.

That guy should be thrown in jail.  Of course, after he gets well.  No reason to infect all the people in jail.

Travel bans work folks. They aren't racist.

(03-29-2020, 08:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 07:59 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Dumb New Yawker trying to make Jax a NYC.

That guy should be thrown in jail.  Of course, after he gets well.  No reason to infect all the people in jail.

Put him in Supermax to reduce our headcount and expenses.

(03-29-2020, 06:58 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 04:19 AM)jj82284 Wrote: We all said this was going to be the rough week.  Accelerating testing and clearing the backlog of kits was going to cause artificial spikes in the #s.  But no, let's freak out 2.0.

1k death increase in 24 hours will frighten a lot of people

I'm terrified of the condom shortage, we dont need people that weak reproducing.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-29-2020, 07:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The first glimmer of hope for bending the curve?  Here are the last 7 days' cases, and the percentage increase from the previous day.  

33,300 31%
43,800 32%
53,700 23%
65,800 23%
85,800 30%
101,700 19%
121,500 19%

It's a very small sample size, but the percentage increase is trending down in spite of increased testing.

Too soon to tell?

Definitely good news regardless.  It could be that subtle changes to testing guidelines are creating this effect, but, it seems more likely it's the social distancing.
I hope FL is following this trend. Seems like a lot of the older crowd isn't taking this seriously.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-29-2020, 07:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The first glimmer of hope for bending the curve?  Here are the last 7 days' cases, and the percentage increase from the previous day.  

33,300 31%
43,800 32%
53,700 23%
65,800 23%
85,800 30%
101,700 19%
121,500 19%

Too soon to tell?

But I thought we'd have 100,000+ deaths by now? Unpossible!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

33,300 31%
43,800 32%
53,700 23%
65,800 23%
85,800 30%
101,700 19%
121,500 19%

Too soon to tell?
Or seasonal weather changes?
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

My neighborhood has been practicing social distancing pretty well. We had a community project today, and I reminded people to stay 6 feet apart. It was outside and in a large common area, so we didn't have to get too close.

I showed up early to start moving mulch bags into the different flower beds. People start to trickle in, and I help coordinate areas so we can keep our distance and each tackle our own area. This lady in our neighborhood shows up with her daughter who is from NYC. She and her daughter walk right up to one of the oldest ladies in the neighborhood and start helping her in her area. I hear her talking about how she just got in town 4 days ago. I was pissed.

I asked them politely to leave, and suggested we had enough people to handle it for the day, but she says, "oh, they got here 4 days ago and don't have any symptoms, so they're alright." And her daughter says, "yeah, I was pretty much hanging out by myself up there, anyways." I asked the two elderly people to go home, then I went home and sent an email to the community reminding them to take all necessary precautions. I just don't get why they would even show up, especially considering the Governor mandated a self-quarantine for all people coming from NY.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2020, 10:04 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-29-2020, 08:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

33,300 31%
43,800 32%
53,700 23%
65,800 23%
85,800 30%
101,700 19%
121,500 19%

Too soon to tell?

But I thought we'd have 100,000+ deaths by now? Unpossible!

I think all those dire predictions were based on us not doing anything.  But we have done something, and hopefully, it's working.

(03-29-2020, 09:25 AM)Last42min Wrote: My neighborhood has been practicing social distancing pretty well. We had a community project today, and I reminded people to stay 6 feet apart. It was outside and in a large common area, so we didn't have to get too close.

I showed up early to start moving mulch bags into the different flower beds. People start to trickle in, and I help coordinate areas so we can keep our distance and each tackle our own area. This lady in our neighborhood shows up with her daughter who is from NYC. She and her daughter walk right up to one of the oldest ladies in the neighborhood and start helping her in her area. I hear her talking about how she just got in town 4 days ago. I was pissed.

I asked them politely to leave, and suggested we had enough people to handle it for the day, but she says, "oh, they got here 4 days ago and don't have any symptoms, so they're alright." And her daughter says, "yeah, I was pretty much hanging out by myself up there, anyways." I asked the two elderly people to go home, then I went home and sent an email to the community reminding them to take all necessary precautions. I just don't get why they would even show up, especially considering the Governor mandated a self-quarantine for all people coming from NY.
Because people in general still believe “it can’t happen to me”.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

My quarantine was blown to smithereens yesterday.
Wish me luck.

(03-29-2020, 10:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 08:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But I thought we'd have 100,000+ deaths by now? Unpossible!

I think all those dire predictions were based on us not doing anything.  But we have done something, and hopefully, it's working.

Those dire predictions were wrong even then.

(03-29-2020, 10:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 10:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think all those dire predictions were based on us not doing anything.  But we have done something, and hopefully, it's working.

Those dire predictions were wrong even then.

I don't think we can ever prove that, because the scenario where we do nothing didn't happen.

(03-29-2020, 10:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 10:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Those dire predictions were wrong even then.

I don't think we can ever prove that, because the scenario where we do nothing didn't happen.

And that's the great thing for the media and politicians. They can get you all spun up in a panic over something that was never going to happen and no one cares to call them on it. Meanwhile our lives are going to [BLEEP] because of the damage they are doing to our economy over a big fat nothingburger.

On February 7th, the US sent 17 tons of medical gear to China.
Less than a month later the US was begging for donations and increased domestic production of some of these same items that were sent overseas.
Now healthcare workers in the US are begging for these items in states where the president has threatened to let them fend for themselves.
And we've reached the point of doctors and other healthcare workers dying in several states from COVID-19.
There is zero opinion in this post. Only fact.

Link to cited aid shipment:
https://www.state.gov/the-united-states-...ronavirus/

(03-29-2020, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: On February 7th, the US sent 17 tons of medical gear to China.
Less than a month later the US was begging for donations and increased domestic production of some of these same items that were sent overseas.
Now healthcare workers in the US are begging for these items in states where the president has threatened to let them fend for themselves.
And we've reached the point of doctors and other healthcare workers dying in several states from COVID-19.
There is zero opinion in this post. Only fact.

Link to cited aid shipment:
https://www.state.gov/the-united-states-...ronavirus/

One more reason we should've taken care of our own.

Here's a list of 111 free tools to help you through the pandemic.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/347840

33,300 31%
43,800 32%
53,700 23%
65,800 23%
85,800 30%
101,700 19%
121,500 19%

Too soon to tell?

OTOH, I'm very concerned that the extensive testing of chloroquine/azithromycin in New York hasn't caused a noticeable drop in the number of additional deaths. Either the treatment isn't working, it isn't being administered, or it is working but the death rate would have been way worse.

I wonder if the testing has half the victims on placebo. IMO denying half the victims a possible life-saving treatment would be akin to murder.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"