Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 07:31 PM by Jags.)

(03-30-2020, 05:53 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Watching MSM...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1244709560021069825

Clowns.   They got it right.  Hopefully the rest of the clowns figure [BLEEP] out.  You know who you are SpikeEz.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-30-2020, 04:55 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 04:47 PM)Jags Wrote: Wishing your wife a quick recovery and that you and the rest of your family stays safe.  

Am I reading that right? It took 19 days to find out she was positive?

I appreciate that - I'm assuming I have it (or had it) as well and I'm just asymptomatic or I'm like Dwight Schrute and my body killed it dead. [UPDATED DATES - my bad] Actually, upon further calculation (like many others, I've lost track of time since quarantine), it took them 12 days from test to result/reporting (she was tested on the 18th. They initially gave her a 3-5 day waiting period. 

We're officially, as a country, at 159k, the pessimist in me believes the unofficial number is likely closer to 1 million.

That's just too crazy.  Glad to hear that you and your wife are recovered. You must feel all kinds of weird about it though, huh?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

An interesting archive of COVID-19 related articles by date.

https://www.covid19-archive.com/?repost
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020, 05:32 AM by jj82284.)

(03-30-2020, 05:33 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 05:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I am sorry to hear that.

I am by no means a doctor or a health professional, but here is my advice.  I felt symptoms a bit over a week ago and chose to "self_quarantine".  Since then my symptoms have diminished and basically have "gone away".  I haven't been tested (though I probably should be), but my reasoning is that I want to make sure that cases that are more high risk have testing/treatment available before me.  I am reasonably healthy and in my 50's so I know that I'm kind of "playing with fire", but I have not had any other symptoms after experiencing them over a week ago.  I don't want to consume resources that are needed for others.

My good luck wishes and prayers are with you and your wife.

I appreciate that JIB. Thank you. As I said, she is feeling more put out/annoyed than anything else. Because she hadn't been experiencing any further symptoms, I was expecting the test to come back negative. The uncertainty is what was causing the most stress. Now we have to wait it out further and really self quarantine.

I'm sorry that she was positive my friend, I am glad that she hasn't exhibited any of the more severe  symptoms.  I'm still CENSORED for you my friend.  Be well.

The new 5 minute POC test is crucial. Right now there are 65kish tests pending. So if all virus was killed off with a death ray, wed still expect about 16 to 18k increase over the next weeks as we clear the backlog of tests already submitted.

Quarantine, diagnosis, treatment, and analysis are all going to be made a lot more efficient when people dont have to wait a week for results.

(03-30-2020, 04:41 PM)Gabe Wrote: Just got word back from the physician's assistant - my wife tested positive. For those who haven't been playing along, here's the timeline:

March 2-12: She felt pretty cruddy, but nowhere near the flu that completely sidelined both of us about 8 years ago

March 13: Jax city councilman tests positive, she was three layers removed from him, but she spends a bunch of time in city hall

March 16: Last time she exhibits any (IMO) real symptoms (woke up at 4am with shortness of breath, chills and cough (she's a recovering asthmatic). Thankful for that

March 18: Drive-thru covid19 test

Today: Positive

This entire time I've exhibited zero symptoms and I (we) didn't shelter in place until she was tested. We're likely well out of the woods, but waiting on DOH to get back to us with more answers than the physician's assistant was able to provide.

On the bright side there’s two positives to be taken from this. The first is thankfully your wife’s underlying health condition wasn’t dangerously exacerbated and she’s on the road to recovery. The second is that most likely you both now wear a cloak of immunity. 

Get some T-shirts made: “Coronavirus: Been there, done that.”

(03-30-2020, 08:48 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 04:55 PM)Gabe Wrote: I appreciate that - I'm assuming I have it (or had it) as well and I'm just asymptomatic or I'm like Dwight Schrute and my body killed it dead. [UPDATED DATES - my bad] Actually, upon further calculation (like many others, I've lost track of time since quarantine), it took them 12 days from test to result/reporting (she was tested on the 18th. They initially gave her a 3-5 day waiting period. 

We're officially, as a country, at 159k, the pessimist in me believes the unofficial number is likely closer to 1 million.

That's just too crazy.  Glad to hear that you and your wife are recovered. You must feel all kinds of weird about it though, huh?
Thank you - today marks the end of the 2-week period post test, so you'd think we're past it by now. It's a surreal feeling nonetheless
I'll play you in ping pong. 

Good grief. We were at 2400 deaths Sunday and two days later we have topped 3000. 600 deaths in two days.

(03-31-2020, 09:38 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Good grief. We were at 2400 deaths Sunday and two days later we have topped 3000. 600 deaths in two days.

In a country of almost 400,000,000.... it's to be expected.

(03-31-2020, 09:38 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Good grief. We were at 2400 deaths Sunday and two days later we have topped 3000. 600 deaths in two days.

Buckle up.  We are firmly in the realm of blood soaked calculus.  25% in 2 days isn't all that much under the threat of an exponential curve.  And most fatalities were put on vents 3 weeks ago.  This is going to be a lagging indicator.

(03-31-2020, 09:53 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

In a country of almost 400,000,000.... it's to be expected.

Given reports coming out of China now that they lied (big surprise there) and massively under reported their death count, we're probably doing pretty well considering our population number and its dynamics.

(03-31-2020, 10:03 AM)jj82284 Wrote:

Buckle up.  We are firmly in the realm of blood soaked calculus.  25% in 2 days isn't all that much under the threat of an exponential curve.  And most fatalities were put on vents 3 weeks ago.  This is going to be a lagging indicator.

Buckle up indeed, especially when you take a step back.

200+% increase in 4 days. We hit 1000 deaths just 4 days ago.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

According to this website, we had 363 deaths on March 30, and 558 deaths on March 31, for a two day total of 921.

I get what you're all saying. It's just kind boggling. Statistics don't mean much to me because they can be "personalized" depending on the answers the questioners are trying to acheive. China lying and not being more forthcoming with the information they did give, especially at the start of this, I'd say we really don't know how this is going to shake out.

Comparing countries and how their people are reacting and dying doesn't mean much either. China's wet markets and how the people live don't compare to Italy and their community way of life and high percentage of senior citizens. Those don't compare to our age population differences in the U.S. and more independent way of life. The healthcare in the three countries I mentioned are also very different, although all are being/have been overwhelmed to the nth degree.

I was thinking the other day that many of us have now lived through two major societal shifts in the last 20 years. 9/11 and COVID-19. I know there have been folks to live through such things like JFK/RFK assasinations and Vietnam as an example. It just feels strange to be a part of two major events as an adult who remembers/will remember the "before and after" these events.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020, 11:51 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

Honestly if you looked at the worldwide death figures from Influenza every single year you're gonna be in for a rude surprise. It kills hundreds of thousands every single year because it is constantly mutating. We just don't think about it.

(03-31-2020, 11:51 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Honestly if you looked at the worldwide death figures from Influenza every single year you're gonna be in for a rude surprise. It kills hundreds of thousands every single year because it is constantly mutating. We just don't think about it.

True, but this being a novel virus seems to be what is causing people to crap their pants. That, and the media's hype machine. There are still empty shelves in our stores here in south central NC. Some is lack of resupply and some is the constant panic which was made worse over the weekend when last Thursday our governer enacted a stay at home order that went into effect yesterday at 5pm. 

This is why people like me and my husband prep. So I'm not forced to go out to the stores with the masses. We did have to go to Lowe's Saturday and get some materials to repair our bathroom floor. It was packed. A fellow who works in the garden center said they did over $100K dollars that day- just in the garden center. But yeah, we didn't have to go to any grocery stores or anything because we prep all the time. My FIL has always thought it was 'cute' that we prep. He found it unnecessary because he's never been without. He talked to my husband Sunday and he mentioned the empty shelves and slow resupply has been "an eye opener" six times in a ten minute conversation. This is unprecedented in our lifetime to this point for sure. 

Preppers get a bad rap thanks to the crazy peppers shown in various television shows, but I've always been a prepper for weather events and such.

(03-31-2020, 11:51 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Honestly if you looked at the worldwide death figures from Influenza every single year you're gonna be in for a rude surprise. It kills hundreds of thousands every single year because it is constantly mutating. We just don't think about it.

Death rate from seasonal flu is 0.1%

Death rate from COVID-19 is 2.3% and that number is rising every week as results pour in. 

We KNOW and understand the flu and how to combat it. COVID-19 is new and doctors and scientists are still largely in the dark about ways to combat it compared to the flu.

(03-31-2020, 12:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Death rate from seasonal flu is 0.1%

Death rate from COVID-19 is 2.3% and that number is rising every week as results pour in. 

We KNOW and understand the flu and how to combat it. COVID-19 is new and doctors and scientists are still largely in the dark about ways to combat it compared to the flu.

The diagnosed case fatality rate of the seasonal flu is roughly 10%  

Apples to apples.

(03-31-2020, 12:12 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 12:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Death rate from seasonal flu is 0.1%

The diagnosed case fatality rate of the seasonal flu is roughly 10%  

Apples to apples.

I gave you apples to apples.  They are both "diagnosed."

Now 2 trillion dollars in infrastructure...

What kind of country is this going to be in 6 months.

(03-31-2020, 12:16 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Now 2 trillion dollars in infrastructure...

What kind of country is this going to be in 6 months.

Definitely not the same.