Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

Why can't we just shut down EVERYTHING except hospitals and actual essential jobs for 2 weeks? Close grocery stores, hardware stores, and all the stores like them for 2 weeks. Tell people they have by the end of the week to stock up on whatever they need and once next Monday starts everything is closed. Because if everyone actually quarantines for 2 weeks then how would it spread?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-01-2020, 04:55 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Why can't we just shut down EVERYTHING except hospitals and actual essential jobs for 2 weeks? Close grocery stores, hardware stores, and all the stores like them for 2 weeks. Tell people they have by the end of the week to stock up on whatever they need and once next Monday starts everything is closed. Because if everyone actually quarantines for 2 weeks then how would it spread?

That's exactly what needs to happen.

But then you need to re-open slowly and ensure there is no second wave of infections and close the borders...no flights at all.  No one comes in, no one leaves.

(04-01-2020, 05:18 AM)captivating Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 04:55 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Why can't we just shut down EVERYTHING except hospitals and actual essential jobs for 2 weeks? Close grocery stores, hardware stores, and all the stores like them for 2 weeks. Tell people they have by the end of the week to stock up on whatever they need and once next Monday starts everything is closed. Because if everyone actually quarantines for 2 weeks then how would it spread?

That's exactly what needs to happen.

But then you need to re-open slowly and ensure there is no second wave of infections and close the borders...no flights at all.  No one comes in, no one leaves.

Exactly

So you think it's a good idea to tell 350 million people they have until the end of the week to stock up for being bunkered down for 2 weeks?

COVID-19 would be the last thing you had to worry about at that point.

An even bigger challenge is that right now were not defining victory. Victory isn't killing sars cov2. That's NOT POSSIBLE. The goal is, essentially, to turn it into the flu. Its will be a disease that will become part of cold flu season with treatments, hopefully vaccines, and increased hospital capacity to deal with those afflicted. The virus is too diffuse over too many continents and yoo contagious to just go away.

(04-01-2020, 07:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

So you think it's a good idea to tell 350 million people they have until the end of the week to stock up for being bunkered down for 2 weeks?

COVID-19 would be the last thing you had to worry about at that point.

It's just 2 weeks, it's not 3 months of food supplies...

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 08:21 AM by mal234.)

(03-31-2020, 08:13 PM)Jags Wrote: Kinda on and off topic,

I had someone tell me that they went out to get groceries and was pleasantly surprised by how “extra” nice people have been.  I personally am not seeing that.  It seems like “every man for themselves” and everyone giving each other the stink eye because “I’m healthy but I don’t trust you” type deal.  

Also, and this is only my opinion, but even on here I’m seeing a bunch of people “arguing” that normally wouldn’t.  Media hype, fear of catching the virus, social distancing,  boredom or lack of TP seems to be taking its toll on people.  I’ve been short with people, so I’m guilty as well.  It’s been frustrating, aggravating, depressing, boring amongst so many other emotions.  Maybe even creating anxiety for some or financial difficulties for others.  Not to sound like a hippie, but let’s just get along.  Be nice to someone.  Say something kind. Whatever.

I definitely agree that people need to try and treat each other well especially during these times. Especially those of us who are still working and dealing with clients, customers, etc... I know at work we've been enacting a lot more restrictive measures (and going beyond what the CDC is recommending/mandating) and it's been upsetting to some clients. They are starting to complain more and even going so far as to feel like they are feeling mistreated or aren't feeling valued. Things came to a head a bit when an older lady came in yesterday and she went off on some people in the other department including one of our young receptionists, (Who caught the brunt of her anger) and one of my bosses. 

She was definitely upset about the more restrictive way we were doing things including saying we didn't have a public restroom. For the record we do have public restrooms in our offices and some of them are specifically client restrooms. But my bosses through the sign up there, because they wanted to prevent how long clients stay in the offices. And I've noticed more businesses who have public restrooms including restaurants are doing that here. I'm sure that's probably going on other places as well. So people definitely need to try and use the restroom at home, before they go out in public to do stuff.

I understand that certain measures have to be enacted right now, but I do think how people talk to each other can make a difference. Telling people that you are doings things because you care about them and want to look out for their well-being and others goes over much better, than acting like you're doings things, because you're afraid, or almost certain they could have the virus and is just looking out for yourself and your interests. If they think you are doing the later, instead of the former, that could definitely could cause problems for your business.

And maybe lose you some clients/customers (including long time ones) who may not return after things with the virus hopefully quiet down. I definitely think people need to watch the way they talk/treat people, in workplaces and in general.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 08:30 AM by mal234.)

Unfortunately, some people don't have the money to stock up for two weeks. And with the way that people are continuing to selfishly hoard things, even for the people who do, they may not be able to get everything they need for that time frame. Toilet paper hasn't been available in most places where I live for days now. I was on the hunt for some a couple of days ago, and thankfully a friend of my dads who runs a small convenience store, had a truck come in and he held some back, for us. If it wasn't for him, I might still be on the hunt for it. I have a co-worker who is now currently looking for some as well.

(03-31-2020, 10:09 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 10:03 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Buckle up.  We are firmly in the realm of blood soaked calculus.  25% in 2 days isn't all that much under the threat of an exponential curve.  And most fatalities were put on vents 3 weeks ago.  This is going to be a lagging indicator.

Buckle up indeed, especially when you take a step back.

200+% increase in 4 days. We hit 1000 deaths just 4 days ago.

FWIW, I wrote this only 24 hours ago. We're at 4,059 deaths now. 300+% in 5 days
I'll play you in ping pong. 

Damn dude... you have zero clue about how life is in this country.

(04-01-2020, 08:50 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 10:09 AM)Gabe Wrote: Buckle up indeed, especially when you take a step back.

200+% increase in 4 days. We hit 1000 deaths just 4 days ago.

FWIW, I wrote this only 24 hours ago. We're at 4,059 deaths now. 300+% in 5 days

Are they tracking how many people had COVID-19 and successfully recovered?

(04-01-2020, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 08:50 AM)Gabe Wrote: FWIW, I wrote this only 24 hours ago. We're at 4,059 deaths now. 300+% in 5 days

I don't see any way they could get an accurate number on that.  People with mild symptoms or no symptoms probably never get tested.  They just recover.

(04-01-2020, 08:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Are they tracking how many people had COVID-19 and successfully recovered?

I don't see any way they could get an accurate number on that.  People with mild symptoms or no symptoms probably never get tested.  They just recover.

That's the whole issue.

Millions of people are immune to this disease. Millions of people are susceptible to it. Millions of people will feel almost nothing.

So very few of the actual number will ever be diagnosed.

(04-01-2020, 08:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Are they tracking how many people had COVID-19 and successfully recovered?

I just wish quotes like "300+% in 5 days" could be countered with some good news.

(04-01-2020, 08:50 AM)Gabe Wrote: FWIW, I wrote this only 24 hours ago. We're at 4,059 deaths now. 300+% in 5 days

That would be 10's of millions worldwide.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 09:04 AM by Gabe.)

Yes.

(04-01-2020, 08:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 08:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't see any way they could get an accurate number on that.  People with mild symptoms or no symptoms probably never get tested.  They just recover.

I just wish quotes like "300+% in 5 days" could be countered with some good news.

Presented as bad news only. Sorry for the lack of sugar-coating US citizens' deaths.

Yes. The current US number is around 7,100 recovered.  (Global number recovered is 185,000)
Obviously this only includes those who have :
a. been diagnosed/tested
b. recovered under care of a physician or in a hospital

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

So - yeah - there will be a large number of people that contract it and beat it that go unreported.

(04-01-2020, 09:02 AM)Gabe Wrote:

Yes.

(04-01-2020, 08:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I just wish quotes like "300+% in 5 days" could be countered with some good news.

Presented as bad news only. Sorry for the lack of sugar-coating US citizens' deaths.

It almost seems like you are enjoying reporting it a little too much.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 09:27 AM by Gabe.)

(04-01-2020, 09:07 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 09:02 AM)Gabe Wrote: Yes.

It almost seems like you are enjoying reporting it a little too much.

On the contrary: It actually fills me with disgust when I see that information. Take off your orange lenses for a moment, SC.