Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 09:17 AM by Jagwired.)

(04-04-2020, 09:01 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: My friend just tested positive. Him and I also drank out of the same container a few days ago. Welp.

Really!!!!??? These days and times and you are swapping spit with some dude?? Damn bro. Ever heard of The Darwin Awards ?
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 09:24 AM by B2hibry.)

(04-04-2020, 09:01 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: My friend just tested positive. Him and I also drank out of the same container a few days ago. Welp.

What's your blood type? Oddly enough, 50% of the population are asymptomatic with COVID-19 when testing positive, which is roughly the same percentage of the population that is an O-blood type. There were a few reports out of China that were swept aside that said for some reason O-blood types showed little to no symptoms when testing positive. You'll be fine. Stay positive...no pun intended.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-04-2020, 09:22 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

What's your blood type? Oddly enough, 50% of the population are asymptomatic with COVID-19 when testing positive, which is roughly the same percentage of the population that is an O-blood type. There were a few reports out of China that were swept aside that said for some reason O-blood types showed little to no symptoms when testing positive. You'll be fine. Stay positive...no pun intended.

That stats I've seen show a very marginal relationship between blood type and severity of symptoms.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 10:24 AM by B2hibry.)

(04-04-2020, 09:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 09:22 AM)B2hibry Wrote: What's your blood type? Oddly enough, 50% of the population are asymptomatic with COVID-19 when testing positive, which is roughly the same percentage of the population that is an O-blood type. There were a few reports out of China that were swept aside that said for some reason O-blood types showed little to no symptoms when testing positive. You'll be fine. Stay positive...no pun intended.

That stats I've seen show a very marginal relationship between blood type and severity of symptoms.
My understanding is that our immune system and how different infections affect people is found in our blood types. Since the relationship between virus susceptibility and blood proteins (Rh), as well as plasma sugars, is a legit studied factor, I tend to believe that there is some feasibility. I think it also explains why some viral treatments and antibiotic cocktails work extremely well for some COVID-19 patients and do very little for others. But, is it really worth chasing at this point? Need legit treatments put to action now.

More "private industry" strides being made to help combat this virus: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020...116281002/

(04-04-2020, 03:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: And now my problems seem utterly inconsequential.

That is absolutely heartbreaking. Hopefully, the nurses will accommodate some Facetime or something until she can get in there.

(04-04-2020, 12:59 AM)captivating Wrote: Anyone who thinks there's been an overreaction to COVID, just consider the time and cost associated with the war of terror which was 19 years and 6.5 trillion....and that occurred because 3,000 died.  So far, 7,000 have died in the US and that's climbing every day.

Lol.  Were going to spend more in the next 6 months than the cost of the war on terror...  the whole thing!  

Social distancing @ a minimum is going to cost $100 billion/week in lost economic activity, the stimulus bill is 6 trillion plus when counting QE/Loan guarantees.  Wer about to write another 2 some odd trillion in infrastructure spending and 4 months from now were going to have to extend federal unemployment subsidies.  

There has never been anything like this in the history of man.  At the height of the new deal federal outlays were roughly 13% of gdp.  Just the short term response is going to shatter through that.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 05:59 PM by mikesez.)

(04-04-2020, 04:20 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 12:59 AM)captivating Wrote: Anyone who thinks there's been an overreaction to COVID, just consider the time and cost associated with the war of terror which was 19 years and 6.5 trillion....and that occurred because 3,000 died.  So far, 7,000 have died in the US and that's climbing every day.

Lol.  Were going to spend more in the next 6 months than the cost of the war on terror...  the whole thing!  

Social distancing @ a minimum is going to cost $100 billion/week in lost economic activity, the stimulus bill is 6 trillion plus when counting QE/Loan guarantees.  Wer about to write another 2 some odd trillion in infrastructure spending and 4 months from now were going to have to extend federal unemployment subsidies.  

There has never been anything like this in the history of man.  At the height of the new deal federal outlays were roughly 13% of gdp.  Just the short term response is going to shatter through that.

Have a look at this article from 3 years ago...
Takes a morbid question and offers a few different perspectives on it.
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-value-of-life/
Anyhow, even with the lowest of the estimates offered in this article, multiplied by a low ball figure for how many will die with no social distancing, you are well over US annual GDP.
Like, not by a little.
By an order of magnitude.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

When this whole thing is done, and thousands of people are dead, please remember all those brave people who for weeks told everyone that this wasn't a big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh4uS4f78o

Ouch that’s pretty damning right there I always thought some where taking a little less serious then others but damn
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 06:15 PM by MalabarJag.)

(04-04-2020, 05:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 04:20 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Lol.  Were going to spend more in the next 6 months than the cost of the war on terror...  the whole thing!  

Anyhow, even with the lowest of the estimates offered in this article, multiplied by a low ball figure for how many will die with no social distancing, you are well over US annual GDP.
Like, not by a little.

If it saves 1 million lives (way above any but the worst estimates) at $10M per life (also a high estimate, and see below*), then it's $10T. GDP is $19T. You misplaced the decimal point.

*If life value is adjusted for age, the fact that it's mostly older people dying lowers the average even more.

(04-04-2020, 06:03 PM)DragonFury Wrote: When this whole thing is done, and thousands of people are dead, please remember all those brave people who for weeks told everyone that this wasn't a big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh4uS4f78o

You must be referring to all of the brave medical experts who believed the lies of the WHO.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

To be fair Fox are surely who people are talking about when talking about the fake news MSM?

(04-04-2020, 06:13 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 05:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: Have a look at this article from 3 years ago...
Like, not by a little.

If it saves 1 million lives (way above any but the worst estimates) at $10M per life (also a high estimate, and see below*), then it's $10T. GDP is $19T. You misplaced the decimal point.

*If life value is adjusted for age, the fact that it's mostly older people dying lowers the average even more.

Actually u right... I miscounted my zeroes... Still, it's in the range for a year, and we are talking about a partial shutdown of the economy for months. This is a rational decision.
I hear you on old people being valued at a lower number, because they have fewer years left naturally. That thought process  hasbeen applied in some situations, but I do not think it applies here. Each premature death should be counted equally w.r.t. this disease.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

In fairness democrats where ridiculing trump when he shut down China travel very early but I agree he downplayed this to much in the beginning
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 07:59 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

(04-04-2020, 09:17 AM)Jagwired Wrote:

Really!!!!??? These days and times and you are swapping spit with some dude?? Damn bro. Ever heard of The Darwin Awards ?

Haha, this was good. It was unintentional. We were drinking beers (same kind) and I accidentally took a sip of his.

I guess that technically still means I have inferior genetics if you’re going by natural selection and the Darwin scale.. I suppose if y’all don’t hear from me again you will know why

(04-04-2020, 05:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 04:20 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Lol.  Were going to spend more in the next 6 months than the cost of the war on terror...  the whole thing!  

Like, not by a little.

That's not true.  

The estimates are @ the high end if we all walked around barefoot through nursing homes and never washed our hands about 2 million.  At current I played out 10 trillion over the next 6 months.  That's 5mil per life.  

Thats skewed for two main reasons 

1.) That figure doesnt include hand sanitizer. Washing your hands, no longer shaking hands, sheltering the vulnerable or any  myriad of other mitigation efforts that dont include a depression.  

2.) The disease affects people over the age of 65 with more than one underlying condition.  That's the least economically productive demographic.

Ps.  Theres no data to show that total lockdown is more effective than targeted quarantine.

(04-04-2020, 06:24 PM)lastonealive Wrote: To be fair Fox are surely who people are talking about when talking about the fake news MSM?

Lol, you should go read the actual MSM from January before making such a completely uninformed statement.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-04-2020, 06:12 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Ouch that’s pretty damning right there I always thought some where taking a little less serious then others but damn

Lol.  

The WHO still has the tweet up where they didnt think it was trasmissable between humans.  

After trump shut down travel from China all of the mainstream media jumped all over him saying it was no big deal.  

Dont be used.

(04-04-2020, 07:45 PM)EricC85 Wrote: In fairness democrats where ridiculing trump when he shut down China travel very early but I agree he downplayed this to much in the beginning

It's not downplaying if you dont know what it is.  1/26/20 Anthony Faucci is on tape saying the risk is low to the US and we can contain it through screening.  

2/28/20 he said it was the flu.  He was wrong, but that's the lead advisor for the pandemic response.  Cuomo said the same thing, Deblasio said the same thing.  

In fairness, Sars 1 wasnt nearly this contagious and it was infinity more containable. If this was sars cov1  then conventional containment would have worked and we would have been able to isolate symptomatic carriers before they became highly contagious.