Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2020, 10:18 PM by Gabe.)

(04-13-2020, 09:07 PM)copycat Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 08:37 PM)Gabe Wrote: He's just using the time to show videos of how he thinks he did great and how he's been treated unfairly by the press.

Which begs the next question..........

Why have press conferences at all?

I actually think Florida is about to be the next NY. I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but the pessimist in me doesn't think I will be

To your first point, to inform the masses without a filter.  It also in my opinion exposed a majority of the press corp as partisan hacks.  So many questions were nothing but gotcha questions.
He's moved on from his love affair with Fox to his new love affair with OANN...A completely non-partisan, non-hack organization
I'll play you in ping pong. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quest Diagnostics is furloughing employees, cutting pay, dismissing temporary workers, freezing hiring, cutting OT (Reuters)

Despite performing 40% of US COVID-19 tests, social distancing is destroying Quest's bread and butter: the other typical tests that Americans normally get https://t.co/ComK4cLTIZ

Florida's peak will be significantly below resource capacity with less than 5k deaths over the course of 5 months. We'll be fine.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-13-2020, 11:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Florida's peak will be significantly below resource capacity with less than 5k deaths over the course of 5 months. We'll be fine.

With a very high level of severely at risk group of people. With all the retirees in south Florida, it's a wonder Florida isn't worse than NYC.

(04-13-2020, 11:26 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 11:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Florida's peak will be significantly below resource capacity with less than 5k deaths over the course of 5 months. We'll be fine.

With a very high level of severely at risk group of people. With all the retirees in south Florida, it's a wonder Florida isn't worse than NYC.

Floridians don't live right on top of each other like the folks in NYC. A crap ton of people living in that city alone doesn't translate to how Floridians live. Or anywhere else for that matter.

(04-13-2020, 11:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 11:26 PM)p_rushing Wrote: With a very high level of severely at risk group of people. With all the retirees in south Florida, it's a wonder Florida isn't worse than NYC.

Floridians don't live right on top of each other like the folks in NYC. A crap ton of people living in that city alone doesn't translate to how Floridians live. Or anywhere else for that matter.

+1

In addition, the difference in climate is huge.  Gov. Desantis mentioned that even in South Florida where u have a high outbreak of cases, the hospitalization rate (@the time) was less than 10%. 

As for the STATE MANDATED RESTRICTIONS, people aren't robots.  We have only had a "safer @ home" order in place for what?  9 days?  But even before those mandatory restrictions came down, everyone I know was already personally taking steps to mitigate and protect themselves.  My wife and I cancelled our vacation voluntarily, bought our own supply of sanitizer, have cloth masks on order, no hand shaking with my customers, keeping distance from others, making delivery etc.  That's not going to change just because it's not directed by the state.

All the people criticizing Trump, saying he was too late in shutting the country down...I guess they would have been okay with Trump telling the Senate to go home and shelter in place instead of holding the impeachment trial? Maybe he should have banned Super Tuesday voters from going to the polls? I'm sure the media would have backed him on that.

(04-14-2020, 11:00 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: All the people criticizing Trump, saying he was too late in shutting the country down...I guess they would have been okay with Trump telling the Senate to go home and shelter in place instead of holding the impeachment trial?  Maybe he should have banned Super Tuesday voters from going to the polls?  I'm sure the media would have backed him on that.

Nah, campaign rallies and golf are the way to go.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 04:37 PM by EricC85.)

I got a problem if trump believes the presidents power is total and he will dictate when and what governors open or close in their states. The fact that he says that concerns me, the fact that he might believe he has that power is an even bigger concern. How are conservatives not in an uproar over that statement? If Obama would’ve said his power is total and that’s the way it’s gotta be the outcry would be deafening and rightfully so.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 04:45 PM by Gabe.)

(04-14-2020, 04:36 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I got a problem  if trump believes the presidents power is total and he will dictate when and what governors open or close in their states. The fact that he says that concerns me, the fact that he might believe he has that power is an even bigger concern. How are conservatives not in an uproar over that statement? If Obama would’ve said his power is total and that’s the way it’s gotta be the outcry would be deafening and rightfully so.

I'm trying to ascertain why he said it in the first place. Does he really not know how simple government works? Or is he saying it to rile up some kind of base? If that's the case, who? It's hard to see any kind of "gain" or upper hand he could possibly get in making such a stupid statement, especially after losing his cool so easily yesterday in that dumpster fire of a press briefing. There's no win in making s statement like that.

(04-14-2020, 04:36 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I got a problem  if trump believes the presidents power is total and he will dictate when and what governors open or close in their states. The fact that he says that concerns me, the fact that he might believe he has that power is an even bigger concern. How are conservatives not in an uproar over that statement? If Obama would’ve said his power is total and that’s the way it’s gotta be the outcry would be deafening and rightfully so.

Don't over think it.  He has the power of the federal government (ie., giving aide) over the states.  He also said that he is working directly with governors to formulate his plan.  He never said that he would dictate "when and what governors open or close in their states".

Once again the far left media as well as social media is spreading fake news.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-14-2020, 04:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Don't over think it.  He has the power of the federal government (ie., giving aide) over the states.  He also said that he is working directly with governors to formulate his plan.  He never said that he would dictate "when and what governors open or close in their states".

"When somebody is the President of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's got to be."

"The federal government has absolute power."

"...I have the absolute right to make the decisions if I want to."

No need to overthink those statements, which aren't fake. The context in which he was asked was to clarify the statements he made on twitter regarding the reopening of the country being his decision.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 05:14 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Quick question, has anyone here actually gotten a stimulus check or know someone who has? I keep seeing stories online saying the IRs started doing it, but I haven't met anyone who actually got a check yet.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(04-14-2020, 05:13 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Quick question, has anyone here actually gotten a stimulus check or know someone who has? I keep seeing stories but I haven't met anyone who actually got a check yet.

I’ve heard of family members and their coworkers getting it.  I haven’t received anything.  I’ve had to pay the last handful of years.  Tomorrow I’ll have to update our banking info on the IRS site since it’s changed since our last refund.

(04-14-2020, 04:51 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 04:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Don't over think it.  He has the power of the federal government (ie., giving aide) over the states.  He also said that he is working directly with governors to formulate his plan.  He never said that he would dictate "when and what governors open or close in their states".

"When somebody is the President of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's got to be."

No need to overthink those statements, which aren't fake. The context in which he was asked was to clarify the statements he made on twitter regarding the reopening of the country being his decision.

You're right, don't overthink it.  What exactly does "reopening the country" mean?  Telling states what they can or cannot do or perhaps opening up for travel from foreign countries?  There has been no case where The President's direction has been contradicted by State Governors.  As of matter of fact as I said before, his administration is working directly with State Governors.  "Opening up the country" does not mean telling State Governors what to do or not do.

If you are honest with yourself you should see that The President has been working with governors, and backing their decision(s) regarding this whole thing.  This is generally contrary to leftists in this country that want to take power away from the states rather then empower them.

You have to put things in perspective and think about the roles of the federal government, state governments and in some cases local government.

Something like this is why Senators should not be elected by the public.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-14-2020, 05:13 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Quick question, has anyone here actually gotten a stimulus check or know someone who has? I keep seeing stories online saying the IRs started doing it, but I haven't met anyone who actually got a check yet.
My buddy who works for Social Security says they are being pushed out.

(04-14-2020, 05:13 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Quick question, has anyone here actually gotten a stimulus check or know someone who has? I keep seeing stories online saying the IRs started doing it, but I haven't met anyone who actually got a check yet.

I know of a few that I work with that have actually already received it.  I don't expect to receive anything and if I do it's going to come via a paper check.  The last few years I have never gotten a tax "refund" I have always had to pay get more of my earnings confiscated more.  Therefore the IRS doesn't have my banking information and I would like to keep it that way.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 05:34 PM by Gabe.)

(04-14-2020, 05:28 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 04:51 PM)Gabe Wrote: "When somebody is the President of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's got to be."

You're right, don't overthink it.  What exactly does "reopening the country" mean?  Telling states what they can or cannot do or perhaps opening up for travel from foreign countries?  There has been no case where The President's direction has been contradicted by State Governors.  As of matter of fact as I said before, his administration is working directly with State Governors.  "Opening up the country" does not mean telling State Governors what to do or not do.

If you are honest with yourself you should see that The President has been working with governors, and backing their decision(s) regarding this whole thing.  This is generally contrary to leftists in this country that want to take power away from the states rather then empower them.

You have to put things in perspective and think about the roles of the federal government, state governments and in some cases local government.

Sorry, JIB - the pessimist in me is deafened from the outrage that would be coming from the right had Obama said something even remotely similar. I know his administration has been working with governors.

Trump is careless with his rhetoric at the absolute wrong time. Take, for example, his recent comparison of himself to Cpt. Bligh. 25,000 Americans are dead.

(04-14-2020, 05:33 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 05:28 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: You're right, don't overthink it.  What exactly does "reopening the country" mean?  Telling states what they can or cannot do or perhaps opening up for travel from foreign countries?  There has been no case where The President's direction has been contradicted by State Governors.  As of matter of fact as I said before, his administration is working directly with State Governors.  "Opening up the country" does not mean telling State Governors what to do or not do.

Sorry, JIB - the pessimist in me is deafened from the outrage that would be coming from the right had Obama said something even remotely similar. I know his administration has been working with governors.

Trump is careless with his rhetoric at the absolute wrong time. Take, for example, his recent comparison of himself to Cpt. Bligh. 25,000 Americans are dead.
Wait.... so the far right and far left people are basically the same?!

(04-14-2020, 05:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 05:33 PM)Gabe Wrote: Sorry, JIB - the pessimist in me is deafened from the outrage that would be coming from the right had Obama said something even remotely similar. I know his administration has been working with governors.

Wait.... so the far right and far left people are basically the same?!

Depends, are you in favor of mutiny?