Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2020, 09:55 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-15-2020, 09:06 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 08:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Sort of like when you argue with your wife about an impending decision, and then finally, to save face, you say, "I'll delegate the decision to you."  Right?

No, more like buying a business and appointing a manager.  They have delegated authority, but it's still your business.  

All of these arrangements are state federal partnerships contingent on federal money, and disaster declarations.  POTUS is the senior partner.

The 10th Amendment states:  "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

So the President does not have any authority to delegate anything to any state.  

Besides, your statement, "...like buying a business and appointing a manager..." is ridiculous, because the President does not appoint any governor and no governor works for the President.  That chain of command does not exist. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-15-2020, 09:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 09:06 AM)jj82284 Wrote: No, more like buying a business and appointing a manager.  They have delegated authority, but it's still your business.  

All of these arrangements are state federal partnerships contingent on federal money, and disaster declarations.  POTUS is the senior partner.

The 10th Amendment states:  "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Besides, your statement, "...like buying a business and appointing a manager..." is ridiculous, because the President does not appoint any governor and no governor works for the President.  That chain of command does not exist. 

The 10th Amendment died over 150 years ago now, you should quit dragging its corpse around like that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2020, 10:40 AM by jj82284.)

(04-15-2020, 09:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 09:06 AM)jj82284 Wrote: No, more like buying a business and appointing a manager.  They have delegated authority, but it's still your business.  

They're using federal money under a federal major disaster declaration.  The president has the sole statutory authority to approve deny downgrade or revoke that declaration.

(04-15-2020, 09:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 08:49 AM)TJBender Wrote: In Atlanta, that's actually not outside the realm of possibility.

But zombies are more fun.

I completely agree!

(04-15-2020, 08:59 AM)TJBender Wrote: "And now, as she brings an illustrious career with the Atlanta PD to a close, Lt. Steed has prepared a few remarks. Lt. Steed, the mic is yours."

"BRAINS!"

She'd starve in Atlanta.

Hey! I...oh, wait, I live in a neighboring city. So, no objections.

I am beginning to see another parallel to WWII. When Churchill made his stand against Germany the odds were dramatically stacked against him. The German Army was seen to be invincible, the French army was overrun, Russia had a non-aggression pact with Germany, Italy was on the Axis side, the Japanese served as another hedge in the pacific against the then isolationist US. It would seem that Britain would have no choice but to made some kind of concession to the emerging Axis alliance. But Churchill saw further than the immediate circumstance. He knew that Germany didn't have a navy so they couldn't invade the British Mainland. He also knew that the British alone wouldn't be able to overcome the German continental army. So essentially you had a standoff. And Churchill foresaw that the standoff would work to his advantage. He knew that totalitarian regimes rarely act in good faith, so he knew that the Russians would eventually have a falling out with the Germans and He knew that there was only so long that the Americans could stay out of the war. So he foresaw the coming alliance of Britain, the Soviet Union and the United States and that with their combined industrial might the Axis powers wouldn't stand a realist chance of strategic victory.

Likewise Donald Trump looks out over the landscape of the current body politic and he has 350 million people who are either concerned or scared, a supermajority of Governors that have chosen some form of stay at home order/shelter in place order to constrict economic activity in the wake of the virus, an Academia, pop culture, and corporate media that have a vested interest in continued shut downs to dampen his political prospects. It would seem that with an economy poised to shrink between 25 to 50% (great depression levels) over the next quarter, there's little hope of him maintaining his influence in the public arena or having any chance at re-election. At the same time, I think in the coming weeks and months you are going to see another unlikely alliance emerge. As we speak Disney is loosing some 30 million dollars PER DAY, movie theaters are closed, that's hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue to Hollywood studios. There is some thought that AMC (The largest theater chain in the country) can't survive if the shut down goes on much longer, the NBA is @ a standstill, The NFL's season isn't guaranteed and they are going to have to renew their TV contracts within the coming years. And states like New York, California, Illinois etc. have state budget obligations that can't withstand a 25-50% contraction in tax revenue. So in reality, you have forces that have a vested interest in Trumps electoral demise (The News media, popular culture, and liberal governors) are going to be faced with an existential interest the country's economy reopening with strong consumer confidence. Mark Cuban, Andrew Cuomo, Newsome etc. have all expressed an interest in working with him. I think that we are going to see a sea change in the next 14-21 days where the corporate media and popular culture begrudgingly choose economic renewal over their own economic demise.

(04-14-2020, 08:30 PM)copycat Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 05:13 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Quick question, has anyone here actually gotten a stimulus check or know someone who has? I keep seeing stories online saying the IRs started doing it, but I haven't met anyone who actually got a check yet.

Got ours today.

Well, how does it feel? Do you feel adequately stimulated? They use protection? Because they haven’t used any on me the last few years.  I’m still signing my checks funny.

This country ruined our lives forever

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronav...us-sources

(04-15-2020, 07:31 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: This country ruined our lives forever

Even if this was of natural causes, Chinese statecraft in plain sight could constitute an act of War.

The power of fox News.

The most dangerous virus in over 100 years emerges on the doorstep of one of the the most advanced virology labs in the world, and people seriously bought the whole “anteaters at a market” story...

(04-15-2020, 08:45 PM)TJBender Wrote:

The most dangerous virus in over 100 years emerges on the doorstep of one of the the most advanced virology labs in the world, and people seriously bought the whole “anteaters at a market” story...

Wait for the antibody tests to come back.  I think that statement will be seen in a new light a few weeks from now.

(04-15-2020, 08:47 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 08:45 PM)TJBender Wrote: The most dangerous virus in over 100 years emerges on the doorstep of one of the the most advanced virology labs in the world, and people seriously bought the whole “anteaters at a market” story...

Wait for the antibody tests to come back.  I think that statement will be seen in a new light a few weeks from now.

Those antibody tests aren't really relevant to your point.
Total deaths in New York City this month, even with the city shut down, exceeds those in September 2001. No way around that math.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-15-2020, 08:45 PM)TJBender Wrote:

The lab may have had something to do with it, but, releasing it definitely wasn't on purpose.
You don't release bioweapons in your own country.  Especially if the army doesn't have a vaccine.
The virus probably was dormant inside bats for years. 
Maybe a guy who sells bats for food caught it by accident.
Maybe a guy who studies bat viruses for a living caught it by accident.
Nearly everything else China did along the way is explained by the cultural aversion they have to sending bad news up the chain of command.  Not that they're innocent, but they weren't being malicious either.
Now, WHO saying "no need to shut down travel" and "no evidence of human to human transmission" is harder to explain. It's no surprise when China's unaccountable communist government looks incompetent.  But WHO are supposed to be above politics and competent.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2020, 11:11 PM by jj82284.)

(04-15-2020, 10:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 08:47 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Wait for the antibody tests to come back.  I think that statement will be seen in a new light a few weeks from now.

Those antibody tests aren't really relevant to your point.
Total deaths in New York City this month, even with the city shut down, exceeds those in September 2001. No way around that math.

Emotional drivel.  

1.) We didnt artificially cause a great depression in September 2001

2.) They just FOUND 3700 deaths to add to the tally without testing.  

3.) Remember the 40k ventilators?

4.) A one month outlier in the most densely populated landmass in the country doesnt make this a 100 years pathogen.  In order to make that claim you need an accurate infection rate, transmission rate, and death rate.

(04-15-2020, 10:53 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 08:45 PM)TJBender Wrote: The most dangerous virus in over 100 years emerges on the doorstep of one of the the most advanced virology labs in the world, and people seriously bought the whole “anteaters at a market” story...

The lab may have had something to do with it, but, releasing it definitely wasn't on purpose.
You don't release bioweapons in your own country.  Especially if the army doesn't have a vaccine.
The virus probably was dormant inside bats for years. 
Maybe a guy who sells bats for food caught it by accident.
Maybe a guy who studies bat viruses for a living caught it by accident.
Nearly everything else China did along the way is explained by the cultural aversion they have to sending bad news up the chain of command.  Not that they're innocent, but they weren't being malicious either.

Now, WHO saying "no need to shut down travel" and "no evidence of human to human transmission" is harder to explain. It's no surprise when China's unaccountable communist government looks incompetent.  But WHO are supposed to be above politics and competent.

...  wow.  Just wow.

(04-15-2020, 09:53 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: However they got rid of Covid 1-18 is what they should do for 19.

You’re welcome.

KellyAnn has those answers, but she won't tell me

You seem to have a KellyAnn fetish.  ?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(04-15-2020, 04:05 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 08:30 PM)copycat Wrote: Got ours today.

Well, how does it feel? Do you feel adequately stimulated? They use protection? Because they haven’t used any on me the last few years.  I’m still signing my checks funny.

I didn’t feel a thing, my understanding is the pain comes down the road when they want it back.  By then after drawing .25% interest I can buy some ointment.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Those Dems need to TRUST THE SCIENCE

Chris Cuomo said he was quarantined in his basement to protect his wife and kids from the virus. But he was seen by a passer-by breaking the travel ban and the stay-at-home order. Cuomo was playing with his family in the yard of an undeveloped property. When the man asked Cuomo why he wasn't quarantined at his residence, Cuomo threatened retaliation.

It was announced yesterday that Chris Cuomo's wife now has the coronavirus.

(04-16-2020, 08:06 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Those Dems need to TRUST THE SCIENCE

Chris Cuomo said he was quarantined in his basement to protect his wife and kids from the virus.  But he was seen by a passer-by breaking the travel ban and the stay-at-home order.  Cuomo was playing with his family in the yard of an undeveloped property.  When the man asked Cuomo why he wasn't quarantined at his residence, Cuomo threatened retaliation.

Cuomo said on a podcast that he doesn't like what he does professionally. CNN's ratings agree.

(04-16-2020, 08:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 08:06 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Those Dems need to TRUST THE SCIENCE

Chris Cuomo said he was quarantined in his basement to protect his wife and kids from the virus.  But he was seen by a passer-by breaking the travel ban and the stay-at-home order.  Cuomo was playing with his family in the yard of an undeveloped property.  When the man asked Cuomo why he wasn't quarantined at his residence, Cuomo threatened retaliation.

Cuomo said on a podcast that he doesn't like what he does professionally. CNN's ratings agree.

That's because as we age you start to feel the effects of being a long time liar and fire spinner of propaganda. At least the non sociopaths do.  

A lot of journalists end up going into the mainstream circus with good intentions and high ambitions, realize how [BLEEP] awful and tragic it is that they end up being mostly regulated to unfounded mud flinging with a clear agenda and one track mindset. 

Sad. It's the things the mainstream doesn't report that should concern you the most. Because with the amount of body bags they've racked up over the years that were allowed to see daylight is probably just a sliver of Mrs. Lovett's and Sweeney Todd's meat pie.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Wow...  I mean wow.