Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
All confederate memorials in Jacksonville to come down

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 11:40 AM by Cleatwood.)

(06-09-2020, 11:08 AM)JagJohn Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 10:37 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: A New Day Is Upon Us --- I'm most certain the Germans don't have statues of Hitler erected in Berlin so why should cities in the South have Andrew Jackson or Robert E Lee.  Sucks to lose.

I'm sure someone will chime in that Abe Lincoln had slaves, but ultimately truth be known that Abe transformed and ultimately played a key role in freeing slaves.  I don't recall Jackson or Lee freeing any slaves.  Perhaps, losing battles and being killed by the Union Army cut their time short.

Who is this 'Hitler' you talk of? Having never seen a statue of him, I am completely unaware of his existence.
I send my Jewish friend a small Hitler statue every year  just so he doesn’t forget his history.....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 11:55 AM by JagsorDie.)

(06-09-2020, 11:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 11:22 AM)USCG_JAG Wrote: In before the libs make the connection between Jacksonville and Andrew Jackson. *facepalm*

No connection here.  JUST A BIG OLE STATUE OF HIM ON OUR CENTER PLAZA ROUND ABOUT IN FRONT OF THE LANDING.  Definitely, no connection.  Are you serious

[Image: Jax-andrew-jackson-statue.jpg]
Not to mention on every man hole cover

Not sure if it has already been said, but Forrest high I believe is named after klan leader/member.

Edit: yeah Nathan Bedford Forrest was a confederate army general and clan member known for killing black soldiers at fort Pillow(odd fort name). But yeah, I don’t think a high school should be named after a guy like this.

I’m with hurricane on this one, Germany doesn’t fly Nazi flags or memorialize hitler. We can still be taught our history without having statues of people and symbols that are synonymous with slavery and some of this countries darker past.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 11:56 AM by The Real Marty.)

(06-09-2020, 10:37 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: A New Day Is Upon Us --- I'm most certain the Germans don't have statues of Hitler erected in Berlin so why should cities in the South have Andrew Jackson or Robert E Lee.  Sucks to lose.

I'm sure someone will chime in that Abe Lincoln had slaves, but ultimately truth be known that Abe transformed and ultimately played a key role in freeing slaves.  I don't recall Jackson or Lee freeing any slaves.  Perhaps, losing battles and being killed by the Union Army cut their time short.

Abe Lincoln did not own slaves.  Where in the world did you get that idea?

(06-09-2020, 10:38 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Erasing History...... Those that FAIL to LEARN from history are DOOMED to repeat it

Lee didn't own slaves during the war, Unlike Union General U.S. Grant where ot took a constitutional amendment before he freed his slaves

Ulysses Grant owned one slave, that he freed before the war, in spite of the fact that Grant was in poverty and a slave dealer told him the guy was worth $1,000.  Grant freed him anyway.

(06-09-2020, 11:25 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 11:22 AM)USCG_JAG Wrote: In before the libs make the connection between Jacksonville and Andrew Jackson. *facepalm*

Most of us are well aware of this connection. Are you in favor of honoring the President who presided over genocide?

I think we're stuck with Andrew Jackson, unless of course we want to claim it's named after a different Jackson.  Maybe Bo Jackson?

(06-09-2020, 11:42 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 11:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: No connection here.  JUST A BIG OLE STATUE OF HIM ON OUR CENTER PLAZA ROUND ABOUT IN FRONT OF THE LANDING.  Definitely, no connection.  Are you serious

Not sure if it has already been said, but Forrest high I believe is named after klan leader/member.

Edit: yeah Nathan Bedford Forrest was a confederate army general and clan member known for killing black soldiers at fort Pillow(odd fort name). But yeah, I don’t think a high school should be named after a guy like this.

I’m with hurricane on this one, Germany doesn’t fly Nazi flags or memorialize hitler. We can still be taught our history without having statues of people and symbols that are synonymous with slavery and some of this countries darker past.

Forrest has been renamed to Westside High.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-09-2020, 11:42 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 11:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: No connection here.  JUST A BIG OLE STATUE OF HIM ON OUR CENTER PLAZA ROUND ABOUT IN FRONT OF THE LANDING.  Definitely, no connection.  Are you serious

Pretty sure Forrest HS was renamed a few years ago. 

I’d expect Lee HS will be next.

(06-09-2020, 11:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

No connection here.  JUST A BIG OLE STATUE OF HIM ON OUR CENTER PLAZA ROUND ABOUT IN FRONT OF THE LANDING.  Definitely, no connection.  Are you serious

Are we also renaming the city?  If so, I'd like to submit Sneakerstown for consideration.  I'll get back to you with my available dates for the dedication ceremony.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 12:17 PM by The Real Marty.)

No need to rename Jacksonville.  We can just claim it was named after a different Jackson.  Here's a good candidate:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ja...secretary)

William Jackson (March 9, 1759 – December 17, 1828) was a figure in the American Revolution, most noteworthy as the secretary to the United States Constitutional Convention. He also served with distinction in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. After the war he served as one of President George Washington's personal secretaries.

So, all we have to do is go to that statue of Andrew Jackson, cross out Andrew, and insert William.  Someone can do it with a can of spray paint.  Voila!  Problem solved.

(06-09-2020, 12:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 11:42 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: Not to mention on every man hole cover

Pretty sure Forrest HS was renamed a few years ago. 

Yep I didn’t get that memo. But that is good to here. I remember they had a painting of all the school mascots in the gym at sandalwood and I would always see this little confederate cartoon painting. They even put the rebel flag on the belt buckle of one of them. I feel like it was one of those things that everyone saw but no one talked about. 

Side note about the Jacksonville name. We can put a mascot jaxson deville head on our statues of Andrew jackson then we wouldn’t hAve to change the name of Jacksonville. Or cut the head off and name our city sleepy hollow if the south or something about the headless horseman. Just shouldn’t go back to cowford.

How did they get approval to tear this down so quickly? The thing is older than the houses downtown and God forbid you try to change something on those homes the paperwork can't get done that fast.

(06-09-2020, 11:08 AM)JagJohn Wrote: Who is this 'Hitler' you talk of? Having never seen a statue of him, I am completely unaware of his existence.

Did you know in Germany people with only one arm aren't allowed to ride a rollercoaster.

I am glad progress is being made to remove the statues. I wonder how the GOP will react and whether this will effect Curry’s chances of elected congressman in Washington if he chooses to go that route.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 12:36 PM by homebiscuit.)

(06-09-2020, 12:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: No need to rename Jacksonville.  We can just claim it was named after a different Jackson.  Here's a good candidate:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ja...secretary)

William Jackson (March 9, 1759 – December 17, 1828) was a figure in the American Revolution, most noteworthy as the secretary to the United States Constitutional Convention. He also served with distinction in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. After the war he served as one of President George Washington's personal secretaries.

So, all we have to do is go to that statue of Andrew Jackson, cross out Andrew, and insert William.  Someone can do it with a can of spray paint.  Voila!  Problem solved.

I'll make a template and bring a can of paint. You create a diversion.

(06-09-2020, 12:32 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: I am glad progress is being made to remove the statues. I wonder how the GOP will react and whether this will effect Curry’s chances of elected congressman in Washington if he chooses to go that route.

Rolleyes

(06-09-2020, 12:32 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: I am glad progress is being made to remove the statues. I wonder how the GOP will react and whether this will effect Curry’s chances of elected congressman in Washington if he chooses to go that route.
I’m just here to point out it was a racist republican that took down confederate statues, it can we kill that narrative now?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 12:45 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Rename our city to Jackson5ville

[Image: Jackson_5_tv_special_1972.JPG]

Andrew Jackson played no role in the Confederacy or the civil War, so...
I mean yes the Trail of Tears was a genocide that Georgia's armed forces started and Andrew Jackson finished.
But, unlike Robert E Lee or Nathaniel Forrest, Jackson also did good things and is often remembered for those.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-09-2020, 12:23 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 12:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Pretty sure Forrest HS was renamed a few years ago. 

Yep I didn’t get that memo. But that is good to here. I remember they had a painting of all the school mascots in the gym at sandalwood and I would always see this little confederate cartoon painting. They even put the rebel flag on the belt buckle of one of them. I feel like it was one of those things that everyone saw but no one talked about. 

Side note about the Jacksonville name. We can put a mascot jaxson deville head on our statues of Andrew jackson then we wouldn’t hAve to change the name of Jacksonville. Or cut the head off and name our city sleepy hollow if the south or something about the headless horseman. Just shouldn’t go back to cowford.

Annnnd there’s Lee HS next in line 

https://twitter.com/wjxt4/status/1270392...76321?s=21

(06-09-2020, 12:37 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
I’m just here to point out it was a racist republican that took down confederate statues, it can we kill that narrative now?

Has Mayor Curry been called a racist?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(06-09-2020, 11:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Abe Lincoln did not own slaves.  Where in the world did you get that idea?

(06-09-2020, 10:38 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Erasing History...... Those that FAIL to LEARN from history are DOOMED to repeat it

Lee didn't own slaves during the war, Unlike Union General U.S. Grant where ot took a constitutional amendment before he freed his slaves

Ulysses Grant owned one slave, that he freed before the war, in spite of the fact that Grant was in poverty and a slave dealer told him the guy was worth $1,000.  Grant freed him anyway.

Careful, you can burn out your CPU fact checking The Drifter.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

It's pretty sad that a monument to American soldiers that has been in the spot well over 100 years is taken down to appease a few.  Like it or not The Civil War is a part of our history.

(06-09-2020, 12:47 PM)mikesez Wrote: Andrew Jackson played no role in the Confederacy or the civil War, so...
I mean yes the Trail of Tears was a genocide that Georgia's armed forces started and Andrew Jackson finished.
But, unlike Robert E Lee or Nathaniel Forrest, Jackson also did good things and is often remembered for those.

Obviously you don't know your history about Robert E. Lee.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.