Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
All confederate memorials in Jacksonville to come down

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

About damn time.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

A New Day Is Upon Us --- I'm most certain the Germans don't have statues of Hitler erected in Berlin so why should cities in the South have Andrew Jackson or Robert E Lee. Sucks to lose.

I'm sure someone will chime in that Abe Lincoln had slaves, but ultimately truth be known that Abe transformed and ultimately played a key role in freeing slaves. I don't recall Jackson or Lee freeing any slaves. Perhaps, losing battles and being killed by the Union Army cut their time short.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 10:41 AM by The Drifter.)

Erasing History...... Those that FAIL to LEARN from history are DOOMED to repeat it

(06-09-2020, 10:37 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: A New Day Is Upon Us --- I'm most certain the Germans don't have statues of Hitler erected in Berlin so why should cities in the South have Andrew Jackson or Robert E Lee.  Sucks to lose.

I'm sure someone will chime in that Abe Lincoln had slaves, but ultimately truth be known that Abe transformed and ultimately played a key role in freeing slaves.  I don't recall Jackson or Lee freeing any slaves.  Perhaps, losing battles and being killed by the Union Army cut their time short.

Lee didn't own slaves during the war, Unlike Union General U.S. Grant where ot took a constitutional amendment before he freed his slaves
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(06-09-2020, 10:38 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Erasing History...... Those that FAIL to LEARN from history are DOOMED to repeat it

(06-09-2020, 10:37 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: A New Day Is Upon Us --- I'm most certain the Germans don't have statues of Hitler erected in Berlin so why should cities in the South have Andrew Jackson or Robert E Lee.  Sucks to lose.

I'm sure someone will chime in that Abe Lincoln had slaves, but ultimately truth be known that Abe transformed and ultimately played a key role in freeing slaves.  I don't recall Jackson or Lee freeing any slaves.  Perhaps, losing battles and being killed by the Union Army cut their time short.

Lee didn't own slaves during the war, Unlike Union General U.S. Grant where ot took a constitutional amendment before he freed his slaves

Don't give facts when liberals are arguing, their mind can't handle it unless the fact backs their point up. Next you will tell them the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery and their head may explode.

Good. The losing side doesn’t earn the right to be memorialized.

This is a good thing. Especially for all those who constantly complain about backwards Cowford. You want this city to advance? Stop living in the past.

Now, let’s have a winning season with the Jags. Is that too much to ask?

So, how does this work? Is this still taught in history classes or banned from there too?

Definitely part of history but we sure as hell don't need a statue of them erected, as if they are some type of role model.

Who is this 'Hitler' you talk of? Having never seen a statue of him, I am completely unaware of his existence.

(06-09-2020, 10:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So, how does this work? Is this still taught in history classes or banned from there too?

Yes you can learn about your countries past without statues of the oppression everywhere. Source: we don't have statues of the queen or Oliver Cromwell in Ireland but still know all about them

(06-09-2020, 11:13 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 10:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So, how does this work? Is this still taught in history classes or banned from there too?

Yes you can learn about your countries past without statues of the oppression everywhere. Source: we don't have statues of the queen or Oliver Cromwell in Ireland but still know all about them

But will your grand kids?

History is important.

So is choosing which aspects of it to memorialize publicly.

Good riddance.

(06-09-2020, 10:38 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Erasing History...... Those that FAIL to LEARN from history are DOOMED to repeat it

As usual, you are wrong. Gen. Grant married into a slave owning family. He failed at farming, left it but kept one slave that he freed in 1859, BEFORE the war.

Robert E. Lee also married into a slave owning family, and his wife inherited her father's estate when he died in 1857.  Her father's will stipulated that the slaves be freed within 5 years of his death. Lee had to be taken to court before honoring his father-in-law's wishes.

There is also evidence of Lee's cruelty. 2 slaves ran away, when captured they were scourged. Lee didn't feel this was punishment enough, so he ordered that brine be poured on their wounds

The statues in his honor were the real attempts to rewrite history.
- Bob Marley

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 11:23 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(06-09-2020, 11:08 AM)JagJohn Wrote:

Who is this 'Hitler' you talk of? Having never seen a statue of him, I am completely unaware of his existence.

Duval County does rank pretty low on this list.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-sc...da/?page=2

(06-09-2020, 11:15 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 11:13 AM)JackCity Wrote: Yes you can learn about your countries past without statues of the oppression everywhere. Source: we don't have statues of the queen or Oliver Cromwell in Ireland but still know all about them

Something tells me his grandchildren will have a more accurate knowledge of history than yours.

"Grandpa, why do these knee pads have MAGA stitched on them?"
- Bob Marley

(06-09-2020, 11:15 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 11:13 AM)JackCity Wrote: Yes you can learn about your countries past without statues of the oppression everywhere. Source: we don't have statues of the queen or Oliver Cromwell in Ireland but still know all about them

Yes? it's extensively taught in school, as is the trail of tears, the race for africa and plenty of other worldwide atrocities that is deemed important to know

In before the libs make the connection between Jacksonville and Andrew Jackson. *facepalm*

Children don’t learn history from statues in front of downtown buildings and parks.

I learned history from teachers in school.
We aren’t removing them - but we damn sure ought to pay them better.

(06-09-2020, 11:22 AM)USCG_JAG Wrote: In before the libs make the connection between Jacksonville and Andrew Jackson. *facepalm*

Most of us are well aware of this connection. Are you in favor of honoring the President who presided over genocide?
- Bob Marley

(06-09-2020, 11:22 AM)USCG_JAG Wrote: In before the libs make the connection between Jacksonville and Andrew Jackson. *facepalm*

No connection here.  JUST A BIG OLE STATUE OF HIM ON OUR CENTER PLAZA ROUND ABOUT IN FRONT OF THE LANDING.  Definitely, no connection.  Are you serious

[Image: Jax-andrew-jackson-statue.jpg]