Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

Note to self: “Stay off captivating’s lawn.”

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-01-2020, 11:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 08:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Or just wear a mask ya big baby.

Since he's already had and recovered from the 'rona he's not someone to snark at about mask wearing.
I think it was just allergies (since that excuse pops up a lot on this forum). Not to mention he never went to the doctor.

There were 645 Covid-19 deaths yesterday in the USA.

However, if you're looking for a glimmer of hope, keep an eye on that number.
We have failed miserably at flattening the curve for new cases/infection rate - but the daily deaths number - while still unacceptable  - is flattening to a degree.

Now, it could very well spike again in the coming weeks as some of these 50-60K new cases surging each day will indeed die, but we might, just maybe,  be beginning to level out on the daily death numbers. Something worth watching. 

You can follow it here:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/cumulative-cases

(under the US graph, click the drop down menu to see "deaths" )

Herd immunity is the only way passed this pandemic. The quicker the exposure to the masses the sooner life returns to normalcy. Nothing that has been done or will be done will change that. Including a vaccine.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(07-02-2020, 04:22 AM)captivating Wrote: The only curve we can flatten is a log curve.  Without maths trickery, we're absolutely f*&ked.  Infections getting worse and worse every day.

The only math trickery going on here is the duplication and exaggeration of case numbers to upset fragile little intellects like your own. They are outright telling you that they are lying to you and yet you still blame the people who won't believe that nonsense for your personal terror.

(07-02-2020, 08:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There were 645 Covid-19 deaths yesterday in the USA.

However, if you're looking for a glimmer of hope, keep an eye on that number.
We have failed miserably at flattening the curve for new cases/infection rate - but the daily deaths number - while still unacceptable  - is flattening to a degree.

Now, it could very well spike again in the coming weeks as some of these 50-60K new cases surging each day will indeed die, but we might, just maybe,  be beginning to level out on the daily death numbers. Something worth watching. 

You can follow it here:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/cumulative-cases

(under the US graph, click the drop down menu to see "deaths" )

GIGO.

(07-02-2020, 08:59 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Herd immunity is the only way passed this pandemic. The quicker the exposure to the masses the sooner life returns to normalcy. Nothing that has been done or will be done will change that. Including a vaccine.

Yep, all this other nonsense is just theater to keep the people afraid.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Just found out yesterday I tested positive. 

Wife and kids are now with her family. 

Everyone please be safe and mindful of others. This is a virus I wouldn’t wish on anyone. 

I’ve lost 8 pounds in the last week. My breathing has been labored. I have a loss of taste and appetite.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

And more good news today as preliminary studies are showing that as much as 40% of the population could already have COVID-specific T Cells.

"Study co-author Hans-Gustaf Ljunggren told The Telegraph that if the study's findings are replicated, they would apply to any country. London, for instance, might have about 30 percent immunity and New York above 40 percent. If so, some parts of the U.S. are much closer to herd immunity than population-wide antibody testing currently suggests."

and

[font=itc-slimbach,]"In a second study, German researchers analyzed blood samples of 365 people, of which 180 had had COVID-19 and 185 had not. When they exposed the blood samples to the COVID-19 coronavirus, they found, as expected, that blood from those who had had the illness produced a substantial immune response. More significantly, they also found that 81 percent of the subjects who had never had COVID-19 also produced a T-cell immune reaction, reports The Science Times. If the German study's results prove out, that would suggest that earlier common cold coronavirus infections may provide about eight in 10 people some degree of immune protection from the COVID-19 virus."[/font]

[font=itc-slimbach,]https://reason.com/2020/07/01/covid-19-h...w-studies/[/font]

(07-02-2020, 09:33 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Just found out yesterday I tested positive. 

Everyone please be safe and mindful of others. This is a virus I wouldn’t wish on anyone. 

I’ve lost 8 pounds in the last week. My breathing has been labored. I have a loss of taste and appetite.

Good luck JFC, pulling for you to get through it!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2020, 09:41 AM by Lucky2Last.)

Get well soon, JFC!

(07-02-2020, 09:34 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And more good news today as preliminary studies are showing that as much as 40% of the population could already have COVID-specific T Cells.

"Study co-author Hans-Gustaf Ljunggren told The Telegraph that if the study's findings are replicated, they would apply to any country. London, for instance, might have about 30 percent immunity and New York above 40 percent. If so, some parts of the U.S. are much closer to herd immunity than population-wide antibody testing currently suggests."

and

[font=itc-slimbach,]"In a second study, German researchers analyzed blood samples of 365 people, of which 180 had had COVID-19 and 185 had not. When they exposed the blood samples to the COVID-19 coronavirus, they found, as expected, that blood from those who had had the illness produced a substantial immune response. More significantly, they also found that 81 percent of the subjects who had never had COVID-19 also produced a T-cell immune reaction, reports The Science Times. If the German study's results prove out, that would suggest that earlier common cold coronavirus infections may provide about eight in 10 people some degree of immune protection from the COVID-19 virus."[/font]

[font=itc-slimbach,]https://reason.com/2020/07/01/covid-19-h...w-studies/[/font]

(07-02-2020, 09:33 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Just found out yesterday I tested positive. 

Good luck JFC, pulling for you to get through it!

Was reading about this today. I have said it before, but one of the problems with the entire US trying to shut down at once is that it kept the virus from spreading, so our reopening should look different from much smaller nations. We just have more people to get through this before achieving herd immunity. China is having a similar problem.

This is totally crazy how it impacts people differently.  My 57 year old neighbor tested positive and has no symptoms. 

Good luck and hope you get better soon.

Good luck.  Follow the doctor's orders.  Drink plenty of water.

Get well soon, JFC.

Now Herman Cain is in the hospital with Covid-19. He was at the Trump rally in Tulsa, and then a week later, diagnosed with Covid-19, and now, he's in the hospital.

(07-02-2020, 03:43 AM)lastonealive Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 11:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Since he's already had and recovered from the 'rona he's not someone to snark at about mask wearing.

Thought that was self diagnosed?

Maybe? I thought he'd been diagnosed. Maybe it was his wife who was diagnosed. I don't remember now.

Oh no! Please take care of yourself. You may piss me off from time to time but your good people. I know you've already been through the wringer with your family members who had this but hang in there and keep us posted.

Get well soon.  You'll be over it in a few days.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

For the record, when this first all started I suspected that I might have had it (fever, coughing).  However, my symptoms went away rather quickly so I don't know.  At the time I didn't get tested because we were in the early stages of this Chinese pandemic and I didn't want to take resources that might be needed for people in worse shape than me (so selfish, me not thinking of anyone but myself).

At this point I'm not so sure that I had it at the time, and I really don't care.

As far as my point of view on wearing a mask, I see it this way.  I can accept the Government (federal, state or local) encouraging or suggesting that I do so.  Where I draw the line is when government mandates that I have to do so.  I believe that crosses the line as far as the power of government (who is supposed to work for me).  Government at any level isn't given the power to control me, rather they are granted the power to represent me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2020, 06:49 PM by mikesez.)

(07-02-2020, 06:33 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: For the record, when this first all started I suspected that I might have had it (fever, coughing).  However, my symptoms went away rather quickly so I don't know.  At the time I didn't get tested because we were in the early stages of this Chinese pandemic and I didn't want to take resources that might be needed for people in worse shape than me (so selfish, me not thinking of anyone but myself).

At this point I'm not so sure that I had it at the time, and I really don't care.

As far as my point of view on wearing a mask, I see it this way.  I can accept the Government (federal, state or local) encouraging or suggesting that I do so.  Where I draw the line is when government mandates that I have to do so.  I believe that crosses the line as far as the power of government (who is supposed to work for me).  Government at any level isn't given the power to control me, rather they are granted the power to represent me.

Free antibody test with every blood donation...
Get an appointment with your blood bank and help the community out while you gain the information...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-02-2020, 06:33 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: For the record, when this first all started I suspected that I might have had it (fever, coughing).  However, my symptoms went away rather quickly so I don't know.  At the time I didn't get tested because we were in the early stages of this Chinese pandemic and I didn't want to take resources that might be needed for people in worse shape than me (so selfish, me not thinking of anyone but myself).

The representatives represent you. They have the power to tax and spend. The president, the governors, and the mayors are not representatives. They are executives or ministers. They are the ones with the powers necessary to keep us safe, including the power to punish you for failing to cover certain organs in public.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Do you wear a seatbelt

https://twitter.com/sheAweirdotho/status...9322377217

The "cure" can't be worse than the problem, like with the lock downs fixing no long term problems and causing many, the aggressive and overuse of ventilators killing excess people,  and the obsessive spraying of disinfectants leading to significant increases in calls to poison control.

If you want to live in fear, no one is going to stop you.  Or... focus on increasing your immune health so that you don't have to live in fear and don't feel compelled to live in a bubble.