Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2020, 12:31 PM by JagFan81.)

(09-24-2020, 07:40 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 10:55 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just thought I'd give a quick update to how the UK are so spectacularly screwing this up.

So we started reopening in June/July, government introduced a scheme 'Eat Out to Help Out' where Mon-Wed, every week in August you could get 50% off if you ate in a restaurant. Did really well, loads of people out. Schools reopened September and people being told to stop working from home from October.

But now our cases are exploding and the government has said it's the public's fault for going out too much. Schools are sending how year groups home due to positive tests.

The government announced that to stop this rise they will make pubs and restaurants have a curfew of closing at 10pm...instead of 11pm. Also we arent allowed to be with more than 6 people. People have been told to call the police on any groups of more than six (seriously). You can go to school, work or shopping but cant go into anyone else's house.

We are looking at a full 2nd lockdown now. And people arent happy.

How many people are actually dying though? Are the young and strong dying? Or just the old and weak? Isolate them. Not the young who NEED to build an immunity to this thing.

Lockdowns do nothing because this virus is with us forever. Eventually it will be considered just like the flu. Eventually we will build up an immunity because it doesn't mutate. Eventually. But not if we keep trying to hide from it.

Thats the thing. Positive tests up, people in hospital up but deaths are still very low. I get that its starting again but the advice is so contradictory.

So uni students were told to attend from September and they had little risk. But now they are testing positive they are blaming them and talking of making them stay at uni over Christmas. But they can only use their bedrooms and lectures! 

Theres a fine now of £200 for not wearing a mask, being in a group of 6 and that increases to £10,000 for multiple offences. 

It just feels there has to be a middle ground between shutting everything down or doing nothing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I can't even imagine paying a ticket of over $320 for leaving my house without a mask.

I feel like the middle ground should be to isolate and educate. Isolate the older and at-risk people. Educate the young about the virus so they're not scared of it but know to keep away from their older relatives if they feel off.

And boost people's immune system and vitamin d.

223 days to flatten the curve.

Looks like the northeast is the new hotspot again.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020...cases.html
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

I thought they had everything locked down?

Any idea how many flu deaths there have been this year?

(10-26-2020, 07:30 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Any idea how many flu deaths there have been this year?

All the Flu deaths were attributed to Covid i bet.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2020, 07:38 AM by jaglyn.)

It’s got the Gov’t scared stupid, and they’re not thinking straight. Sure you can lock down and isolate, lower the cases, but if you ever decide to open up again, don’t be surprised to see a spike. This cycle will repeat until we finally decide to take some action that involves facing the music.

Just guessing here, and I’m no Fauci...I have a hunch that the majority of us already carry a small strain of it, and we’re asymptomatic

My son is with the football team at UF and the past two weeks have been interesting there to say the least. The way is has showed up on each person is so different that it’s almost scary. Some had flu like symptoms, some had no symptoms at all. Some felt better in a few days and then tested negative, some are still sick, although none of them have been very seriously sick with it. Not just the young, healthy athletes, there is support staff of all ages that have also gotten it.

Most that popped positive were in the first day or so of quarantine, but one person got a positive result at around day 10 of last contact with exposed people. The strangest to me were the couple of them that started showing symptoms a few days before ever getting a positive result with daily testing.

Because of his position, my son was in the “red” group. That was the people with very close daily exposure to the ones that were considered the patient zero group. The definitely exposed group. He is the last man standing, everyone else tested positive of the red group.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(10-27-2020, 08:20 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: My son is with the football team at UF and the past two weeks have been interesting there to say the least.   The way is has showed up on each person is so different that it’s almost scary. Some had flu like symptoms, some had no symptoms at all. Some felt better in a few days and then tested negative, some are still sick, although none of them have been very seriously sick with it. Not just the young, healthy athletes, there is support staff of all ages that have also gotten it.

Most that popped positive were in the first day or so of quarantine, but one person got a positive result at around day 10 of last contact with exposed people. The strangest to me were the couple of them that started showing symptoms a few days before ever getting a positive result with daily testing.

Because of his position, my son was in the “red” group. That was the people with very close daily exposure to the ones that were considered the patient zero group. The definitely exposed group. He is the last man standing, everyone else tested positive of the red group.

They’ve reported people who came from homes where everyone was sick/exposed and they never tested positive. 
Look at Gabe. He slept in the same bed with a Typhoid Mary (reportedly his wife) and never tested positive. 

I have a hunch that if your son hasn’t tested positive by now, he may never.

Why shutting down won’t stop the spread of Covid-19. Slow it down? Yes, somewhat.

Essential Business, or professions that won’t close.
Hospitals - Doctors, Nurses, Lab technicians, Ambulance Crews, Cleaning Staff, Food preparations, and all professions that services a Hospital.
Law Enforcement - Top to bottom, Police, Detectives, Ammo manufacturers … etc.
National Defense, and all personnel and suppliers they count on.
Fire, and EMT Services (and everyone they count on)
Fuel Suppliers , Refineries, and distribution network.
Food supply, from growing to Grocery distribution.
Paper products, chemical manufacturer (Clorox, Lysol …etc.)
Water Supply, and all maintenance employees.
Communications, and Internet services, and all professions they rely on.
Clothing, Mask, and boot, shoe manufactures.
Hardware and materials, including Mower, Snow Removal equipment (all the factories that make the equipment).
Financial industry, Banks, ATM maintenance, and manufactures.
Housing, and building construction, and design engineers.
Repair Industry – From Automotive, to Electrician, even Copy machine repair.
Trains, Planes, and Automobiles will still be happening, just less of the usual.
Alcohol, and Tobacco from growing to distributing
USPS, Fed Ex, UPS and the entire network that distributes, and delivers.
Death handling, from Coroner to Headstone, and Casket suppliers.
Child care, pet food, government Employees (IRS, Unemployment etc.) … the list is endless.

In the end, the entertainment industry, School and learning institutes, Bars, and Restaurants are the few things that can be curtailed while keeping all the essential businesses running like normal. You can’t close 20% while 80% continues as usual and expect the kung flu to magically end. It isn't worth trashing the economy and sending the USA into a deep financial depression.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2020, 09:43 AM by jaglyn.)

I am also hoping that after the Election season (not just after Nov 3, but the “Election Season”), I think we will see more logical approaches

Right now there’s a lot of officials milking this pandemic for political purposes

(10-27-2020, 09:43 AM)jaglyn Wrote: I am also hoping that after the Election season (not just after Nov 3, but the “Election Season”), I think we will see more logical approaches

Right now there’s a lot of officials milking this pandemic for political purposes

And that should be criminal.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(10-27-2020, 09:43 AM)jaglyn Wrote: I am also hoping that after the Election season (not just after Nov 3, but the “Election Season”), I think we will see more logical approaches

What are the "more logical approaches"?  Assuming masking and distancing are occurring (which is a big given and which many oppose/ignore), the only other real variable is the amount of interaction allowed.  

Granted, every politician in the country is milking the opportunity to bash the other party, but has anyone, Democrat or Republican, presented a viable "plan"?  Would it even be possible to obtain a general consensus on the level of government (federal, state or municipal), that is most qualified to create and administer such a plan?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(10-27-2020, 09:14 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

What are the "more logical approaches"?  Assuming masking and distancing are occurring (which is a big given and which many oppose/ignore), the only other real variable is the amount of interaction allowed.  

Granted, every politician in the country is milking the opportunity to bash the other party, but has anyone, Democrat or Republican, presented a viable "plan"?  Would it even be possible to obtain a general consensus on the level of government (federal, state or municipal), that is most qualified to create and administer such a plan?

We will never know the true answer to those questions because the "field" has already been tainted with the politicization of the whole thing. Going forward after the election it's not going to matter if the government figures something out because depending on who is in the WH it's either going to be (according to the liberals) "the most awesome thing ever!!" if it's the democrats and the liberals tout them as the savior of the universe. If it's Trump the liberals will demonize him (again) for holding back The Plan until after the election and he's a murderer for killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people. 

The thing is, the federal government is not efficient enough to come up with a solid plan we would benefit from this side of this brand new decade. Now that it's been used as a tool by both major parties and the media it makes them even less efficient and effective.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2020, 10:07 PM by mikesez.)

(10-27-2020, 09:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 09:14 PM)Sneakers Wrote: What are the "more logical approaches"?  Assuming masking and distancing are occurring (which is a big given and which many oppose/ignore), the only other real variable is the amount of interaction allowed.  

We will never know the true answer to those questions because the "field" has already been tainted with the politicization of the whole thing. Going forward after the election it's not going to matter if the government figures something out because depending on who is in the WH it's either going to be (according to the liberals) "the most awesome thing ever!!" if it's the democrats and the liberals tout them as the savior of the universe. If it's Trump the liberals will demonize him (again) for holding back The Plan until after the election and he's a murderer for killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people. 

The thing is, the federal government is not efficient enough to come up with a solid plan we would benefit from this side of this brand new decade. Now that it's been used as a tool by both major parties and the media it makes them even less efficient and effective.

because the political machine rewards trolling rather than competence.
We need to change our voting systems, to reward candidates who run positive campaigns and mute the people on the fringes of commentary.
Other countries have politicians that actually try to govern while they have power, rather than being in a permanent campaign.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(10-27-2020, 10:02 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 09:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: We will never know the true answer to those questions because the "field" has already been tainted with the politicization of the whole thing. Going forward after the election it's not going to matter if the government figures something out because depending on who is in the WH it's either going to be (according to the liberals) "the most awesome thing ever!!" if it's the democrats and the liberals tout them as the savior of the universe. If it's Trump the liberals will demonize him (again) for holding back The Plan until after the election and he's a murderer for killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people. 

because the political machine rewards trolling rather than competence.
We need to change our voting systems, to reward candidates who run positive campaigns and mute the people on the fringes of commentary.
Other countries have politicians that actually try to govern while they have power, rather than being in a permanent campaign.

No need to change the political system.  We need to enact just one law/amendment to the constitution.  No riders, no add ons and every bill coming to the floor for a vote deals with a single issue.  This would fix everything wrong in our government.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020, 07:27 AM by Jagwired.)

Anyone, and I mean anyone who blames Trump for even a single Covid related death is an utter moron. It's that simple.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(10-28-2020, 06:31 AM)copycat Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 10:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: because the political machine rewards trolling rather than competence.

No need to change the political system.  We need to enact just one law/amendment to the constitution.  No riders, no add ons and every bill coming to the floor for a vote deals with a single issue.  This would fix everything wrong in our government.

It would also slow it to a crawl.