Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 09:23 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Ar...154021580/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-03-2020, 01:03 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I hated the Blaine Gabbert pick as well. He was not ready to enter the draft and should’ve stayed in school. He had a bad habit of locking into receivers with his eyes and totally cutting off his reads to go with his first option. DB’s read him like a book.

You also loved Haskins and Rudolph.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-03-2020, 09:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 01:03 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I hated the Blaine Gabbert pick as well. He was not ready to enter the draft and should’ve stayed in school. He had a bad habit of locking into receivers with his eyes and totally cutting off his reads to go with his first option. DB’s read him like a book.

Yeah, fair to say none of us armchair GMs are actually as good as we'd like to think. I too was big on Rudolph, not so much on Haskins though.

Here's a list of my QB misses whether for or against:
McCarron (pretty sure he is selling cars in Mobile Alabama now or something)
Watson (was not a fan)
Rudolph (not terrible but not good, mid round pick for a reason I suppose)
Mettenberger (yikes)
Rosen (had him higher than most of the QBs taken has yet to play much and hasn't shown enough to get the nod with 3 different teams)
Bortles (said he was better or as good as Bridgewater, and while I'm still not a big fan of Teddy, one has a job and the other doesn't)
Trubisky (actually remember saying I'd rather have him than Watson, though his limited starts were a concern for me lol)
Mahomes (wasn't even on my radar)

Just right off the top of my head... Plus the jury is still out on guys like Mayfield, who I had as the best QB in that draft... Jackson who I'm still not as high on as some but it is hard to deny his general ability as a football player, if not a traditional QB... Josh Allen, who took some time to hone his craft and certainly looks better than I ever thought he would and miles better than his rookie self.

I was in on Mason Rudolph and Drew Lock :embarrassed:

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 11:00 AM by RicoTx.)

(11-03-2020, 10:21 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 09:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote: You also loved Haskins and Rudolph.

Yeah, fair to say none of us armchair GMs are actually as good as we'd like to think. I too was big on Rudolph, not so much on Haskins though.

Watson (was not a fan)
Mettenberger (yikes)
Rosen (had him higher than most of the QBs taken has yet to play much and hasn't shown enough to get the nod with 3 different teams)
Bortles (said he was better or as good as Bridgewater, and while I'm still not a big fan of Teddy, one has a job and the other doesn't)
Trubisky (actually remember saying I'd rather have him than Watson, though his limited starts were a concern for me lol)

Just right off the top of my head... Plus the jury is still out on guys like Mayfield, who I had as the best QB in that draft... Jackson who I'm still not as high on as some but it is hard to deny his general ability as a football player, if not a traditional QB... Josh Allen, who took some time to hone his craft and certainly looks better than I ever thought he would and miles better than his rookie self.

I'm not saying anybody is always right, but to go as far as saying 'I will openly call for so-and-so to be fired if they pick Fields'  is a bit overboard after extolling the virtues of Rudolph and Haskins.  It's a bit ridiculous.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-03-2020, 10:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 10:21 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah, fair to say none of us armchair GMs are actually as good as we'd like to think. I too was big on Rudolph, not so much on Haskins though.

Watson (was not a fan)
Mettenberger (yikes)

I'm not saying anybody is always right, but to go as far as saying 'I will openly call for so-and-so to be fired if they pick Fields'  is a bit overboard after extolling the virtues of Rudolph and Haskins.  It's a bit ridiculous.

Fair.
None of these college kids are perfect, not even Trevor. Fields has some areas to work on but if he's drafted by us #2 or #3 overall... I'll be excited, at least in the short term.

I'd be less excited about a Trey Lance top 5 selection. 
But I won't be calling for heads... there's enough of that every year by the majority of this board anyway.

(11-03-2020, 10:51 AM)JNev Wrote: I was in on Mason Rudolph and Drew Lock :embarrassed:

I am not sure Lock is bust already though. The guy sometimes looks really good and hasn't played all that much.

There were a lot of Geno Smith fans too here lol
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(11-03-2020, 09:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

I did. I'm not denying that and I'm even gonna double down and say I still believe in those QB's. I would take either one over Minshew. Some guys take longer to develop and Rudolph wasn't playing bad, until that Cleveland game. He had a bad night and then all Hell broke lose in that game. He didn't get much of a chance after that. Now, Roethlisberger is back and he looks fantastic. I believe Rudolph is still the heir apparent in Pittsburgh and will thrive once Roethlisberger calls it quits. If we could give up a mid round pick to acquire Rudolph, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

As for Haskins, he was doomed once he was chosen by Washington. You can't succeed as a young QB when you have a crappy O-Line, no running game and one decent receiver to throw to. That offense is terrible! Pat Mahomes would struggle there. Admittedly, Haskins is the type of QB that needs time to throw. He's a pocket passer and his O-Line folds up like a cheap suit. They even changed QB's and they still suck. So, not all of the failures in Washington can be blamed on Haskins. Put him on a team with some weapons and at least a decent O-Line and I really believe he can succeed. 

Admittedly, I did miss on Mahomes. I didn't think a QB coming from that offensive system could succeed in the NFL and he proved me very, very wrong. Also, with Justin Herbert, I was a bit off. I didn't dislike him at all, but I didn't think he was a top 10 talent. He is having a fantastic season and is showing all of the qualities I would want in a QB for the Jaguars. We should've tried to trade up. I was definitely wrong there as well.

(11-03-2020, 10:21 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 09:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote: You also loved Haskins and Rudolph.

Watson (was not a fan)
Mettenberger (yikes)

I liked Rosen a lot as a talented QB, but I did have some reservations about his injury history and his attitude. He was hurt a lot at UCLA and his personality was described by some as being compared to Jay Cutler, which was a red flag. Based completely on his skill set, I was in favor of drafting him. I really missed on him. Since then, I have learned to factor more potential "red flags" into my evaluations. 

I wasn't really a huge fan of McCarron, Mettenberger, Bortles or Trubisky though. I saw them as hit or miss prospects. As For Watson, the jury is still out for me. I think DeAndre Hopkins made him look elite. Once the Texans made that stupid trade, Watson seems more like a middle of the road type QB. Not bad at all, just no longer elite. Had they kept Hopkins, I will fully admit, Watson probably would still be an elite NFL QB and that would be a clear miss on my part. That had to be one of the most "boneheaded" trades in the history of the NFL. Bill O'Brien singe handedly destroyed a playoff team for no reason what so ever. I'll never understand that one.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 12:14 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-03-2020, 11:03 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 10:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I'm not saying anybody is always right, but to go as far as saying 'I will openly call for so-and-so to be fired if they pick Fields'  is a bit overboard after extolling the virtues of Rudolph and Haskins.  It's a bit ridiculous.

Fair.
None of these college kids are perfect, not even Trevor. Fields has some areas to work on but if he's drafted by us #2 or #3 overall... I'll be excited, at least in the short term.

But I won't be calling for heads... there's enough of that every year by the majority of this board anyway.

Listen, I'm definitely not saying Trevor Lawrence is "can't miss". The only QB I ever saw as a "can't miss" was Andrew Luck. Lawrence certainly can fail. I'm just playing the odds and saying what I see from him now, appears to translate into an NFL skill set. That doesn't mean it will though. We are also not privy to personal interviews and medical assessments. Those are major factors which can determine a QB's success. 

I just call'em like I see them. I don't see an NFL skill set in Fields' game and there are way too many factors around Lance (small school player with only a very small sample size against limited competition,) to make me even consider him as a first or second round selection. I know we are all dying to find a franchise QB, but remember, drafting the wrong one can set us back another 3-4 years. We certainly don't want that either.

As I said before, I have Lawrence, Trask and Mac Jones as my top 3 prospects. Right now, Mac Jones is starting to close the gap on Trask for that #2 spot. Every time I watch him I see him get better and better. He made some good throws into tight windows the last couple of weeks that really impressed me. His deep throws are really good as well. I'd be perfectly happy if we took Trask or Jones with our late 1st round or early 2nd round pick.

(11-03-2020, 10:51 AM)JNev Wrote: I was in on Mason Rudolph and Drew Lock :embarrassed:

Lock was my favorite QB last year and he has been hurt and also flashed what he can be.  Their oline is [BLEEP] and they have been without their number 1 WR.  I still think Lock will be very good

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 12:17 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Injuries have slowed Lock. I was lukewarm on him, but there are times when he shows some flashes that make me think he can still be good. Some QB's take longer than others. He can still be good.

(11-03-2020, 11:13 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

I am not sure Lock is bust already though. The guy sometimes looks really good and hasn't played all that much.

There were a lot of Geno Smith fans too here lol

Geno Smith was a joke.

(11-03-2020, 12:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 11:03 AM)Kane Wrote: Fair.

As I said before, I have Lawrence, Trask and Mac Jones as my top 3 prospects. Right now, Mac Jones is starting to close the gap on Trask for that #2 spot. Every time I watch him I see him get better and better. He made some good throws into tight windows the last couple of weeks that really impressed me. His deep throws are really good as well. I'd be perfectly happy if we took Trask or Jones with our late 1st round or early 2nd round pick.
I'll fully agree with you here.

But there's a reason why many pundits and draftniks have Fields so high. But personally if we're picking 2nd, I'd much rather take the LT and grab best QB available at 20ish in Trask or Jones.
But if the new GM picks Fields, I'll be happy to have his talent and will just hope that the new coach staff can develop his areas of weaknesses.

But if Trask and Jones continue with their current tracks on the season, neither might be available at 20-25.
I could see a lot of teams in the hunt for QBs in the draft. Pats, Indy, Jets, Falcons maybe, Saints too... Bears... Carolina, Skins... gonna be lots of QB turnover this off season I think.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2020, 12:41 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-03-2020, 12:31 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 12:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As I said before, I have Lawrence, Trask and Mac Jones as my top 3 prospects. Right now, Mac Jones is starting to close the gap on Trask for that #2 spot. Every time I watch him I see him get better and better. He made some good throws into tight windows the last couple of weeks that really impressed me. His deep throws are really good as well. I'd be perfectly happy if we took Trask or Jones with our late 1st round or early 2nd round pick.
I'll fully agree with you here.

But there's a reason why many pundits and draftniks have Fields so high. But personally if we're picking 2nd, I'd much rather take the LT and grab best QB available at 20ish in Trask or Jones.
But if the new GM picks Fields, I'll be happy to have his talent and will just hope that the new coach staff can develop his areas of weaknesses.

But if Trask and Jones continue with their current tracks on the season, neither might be available at 20-25.
I could see a lot of teams in the hunt for QBs in the draft. Pats, Indy, Jets, Falcons maybe, Saints too... Bears... Carolina, Skins... gonna be lots of QB turnover this off season I think.

Carolina has actually looked pretty good with Bridgewater at the helm. He just needs a #1 receiver and a TE. I've been impressed with him. If he became available, I'd pick him up in a heartbeat. He reminds me of Ryan Tannenhill. I was an advocate of adding him in free agency and look how well he has done in Tennessee. Washington needs to get offensive weapons and O-Line help. Without that, no QB they draft will ever be good. 

Something tells me Belichik will be targeting Trask, Mac Jones or maybe even Zach Wilson. Those seem more like the types of QB's he could succeed with. I knew the Cam Newton experiment would fail. He lacks the skill set and personality that would fit in with the Patriots system.

(11-03-2020, 12:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 12:31 PM)Kane Wrote: I'll fully agree with you here.

Carolina has actually looked pretty good with Bridgewater at the helm. He just needs a #1 receiver and a TE. I've been impressed with him. If he became available, I'd pick him up in a heartbeat. He reminds me of Ryan Tannenhill. I was an advocate of adding him in free agency and look how well he has done in Tennessee. Washington needs to get offensive weapons and O-Line help. Without that, no QB they draft will ever be good. 

Something tells me Belichik will be targeting Trask, Mac Jones or maybe even Zach Wilson. Those seem more like the types of QB's he could succeed with. I knew the Cam Newton experiment would fail. He lacks the skill set and personality that would fit in with the Patriots system.

Any thoughts about Laremy Tunsil?

My ideal QB carousel:

JAX - Trevor Lawrence *Still holding out hope NYJ wins one game and we jump them
NYJ - Justin Fields
WAS - Trey Lance/Cam Newton
SF - Zach Wilson
IND - Kyle Trask
NE - Jimmy Garopollo/Mac Jones

In the last 10 years Burrow and Lawrence are the 2 best QBs to come out and they come out in back to back years, I'd put Luck 3rd

(11-04-2020, 12:10 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: My ideal QB carousel:

JAX - Trevor Lawrence *Still holding out hope NYJ wins one game and we jump them
NYJ - Justin Fields
WAS - Trey Lance/Cam Newton
SF - Zach Wilson
IND - Kyle Trask
NE - Jimmy Garopollo/Mac Jones

I DO NOT want to see Trask in Indy. Nor Jones in New England. Hopefully we get a good QB and the rest are drafted by NFC teams lol
Indy can have Trey Lance.

Very excited to watch Zach Wilson tonight. Hopefully he excels again in what’s probably his toughest matchup so far

TheO-LineMatters
(11-03-2020, 10:21 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah, fair to say none of us armchair GMs are actually as good as we'd like to think. I too was big on Rudolph, not so much on Haskins though.

Watson (was not a fan)
Mettenberger (yikes)

I liked Rosen a lot as a talented QB, but I did have some reservations about his injury history and his attitude. He was hurt a lot at UCLA and his personality was described by some as being compared to Jay Cutler, which was a red flag. Based completely on his skill set, I was in favor of drafting him. I really missed on him. Since then, I have learned to factor more potential "red flags" into my evaluations. 

I wasn't really a huge fan of McCarron, Mettenberger, Bortles or Trubisky though. I saw them as hit or miss prospects. As For Watson, the jury is still out for me. I think DeAndre Hopkins made him look elite. Once the Texans made that stupid trade, Watson seems more like a middle of the road type QB. Not bad at all, just no longer elite. Had they kept Hopkins, I will fully admit, Watson probably would still be an elite NFL QB and that would be a clear miss on my part. That had to be one of the most "boneheaded" trades in the history of the NFL. Bill O'Brien singe handedly destroyed a playoff team for no reason what so ever. I'll never understand that one.

Completely agree with your confusion of the Hopkins trade... i too, am to this moment - confused as hell with the timing of that trade.