Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(11-12-2020, 11:29 PM)Upper Wrote: Have you actually watched Fields this year olinematters? I've only been able to watch one game unfortunately, but I've seen so many tweets raving about how much he has grown in exactly the areas that you are critiquing him.

Are you sure you didn't cement your evaluation of him based on last year and refuse to see that maybe he has been developing?

I live in Ohio. I've watched every game Fields has started since coming to Columbus. He's on Network TV every week where I live, because Ohio State is the biggest college football team in Ohio. The problem is that Jaguars' fans are so desperate for a franchise QB and since we basically have no shot at Lawrence, (unless he refuses to go to the Jets,) that people are trying to make Fields into something he's not. He is an elite college QB, but the NFL isn't college. The skillset you have in college and the flaws that you are getting away with, simply because of athleticism aren't going to fly on the next level. Fields reminds me a lot of RG3. People overlooked his flaws and crowned him as an NFL superstar in the making and I didn't buy it. He had terrible mechanics, his receivers were running free and he never completed his progressions, because he had no pocket awareness and was too eager to run. He was an elite college player who's flaws became exposed in the NFL and he became nothing more than a backup. Maybe Fields would have one really good year in the NFL, before teams started to figure him out. That's how RG3 started and then things went downhill quickly. In any case, I see nothing from Fields that makes me believe he can be a franchise NFL QB. 

No. I base my evaluation on what I see now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2020, 08:44 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-12-2020, 11:29 PM)Upper Wrote: Have you actually watched Fields this year olinematters? I've only been able to watch one game unfortunately, but I've seen so many tweets raving about how much he has grown in exactly the areas that you are critiquing him.

Are you sure you didn't cement your evaluation of him based on last year and refuse to see that maybe he has been developing?

Well, i know who your guy is this year.. So Fields is the QB that Twitter is in love with this year?   That gives me more concern that before, the guy the twitter dweebs fall for is usually the wrong guy every year.  What are they, maybe 1 or 2 for 10 in the last 10 years?  Huge concern there alone

(11-12-2020, 11:29 PM)Upper Wrote: Are you sure you didn't cement your evaluation of him based on last year and refuse to see that maybe he has been developing?

People around here don't dig in on their terrible evaluations ever...

He’s #2 on McShays big board.

Really wish I could have seen him play my Terps this weekend so I could see a full game.

(11-13-2020, 08:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. I base my evaluation on what I see now.

So you disagree with the masses that say Fields has looked markedly improved this year with both his pocket presence and going through reads?

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2020, 02:30 PM by Upper.)

(11-13-2020, 08:37 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Well, i know who your guy is this year.. So Fields is the QB that Twitter is in love with this year?   That gives me more concern that before, the guy the twitter dweebs fall for is usually the wrong guy every year.  What are they, maybe 1 or 2 for 10 in the last 10 years?  Huge concern there alone

How did you interpret that? I am praying the Jets win a game so we can get Tlaw, but that seems unlikely. I am also intrigued by Wilson and Lance, but far from settled on them. If we happen to win do our regular draft stock harikairi and win another game or two I'd be quite happy with Sewell.

(11-13-2020, 11:17 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 11:29 PM)Upper Wrote: Are you sure you didn't cement your evaluation of him based on last year and refuse to see that maybe he has been developing?

People around here don't dig in on their terrible evaluations ever...

Yeah not thinking Trask is a guaranteed franchise QB is a terrible evaluation and I am totally alone on that island. You got me.

(11-13-2020, 02:26 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 08:37 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Well, i know who your guy is this year..  So Fields is the QB that Twitter is in love with this year?   That gives me more concern that before, the guy the twitter dweebs fall for is usually the wrong guy every year.  What are they, maybe 1 or 2 for 10 in the last 10 years?  Huge concern there alone

How did you interpret that? I am praying the Jets win a game so we can get Tlaw, but that seems unlikely. I am also intrigued by Wilson and Lance, but far from settled on them. If we happen to win do our regular draft stock harikairi and win another game or two I'd be quite happy with Sewell.

(11-13-2020, 11:17 AM)Kane Wrote: People around here don't dig in on their terrible evaluations ever...

Yeah not thinking Trask is a guaranteed franchise QB is a terrible evaluation and I am totally alone on that island. You got me.

Hey you said it, not me

Also, don't think anyone has said any of the guys outside of Trevor are a "guaranteed" anything.
But in some of your evaluation of Trask (arm strength, draft grade) you do seem quite alone, at least when it comes to the scouts and mocks I've been reading.

Of course... I don't twitter, so maybe I'm missing out on all the real smart guys.

If trask was in the NFL he'd be closer to bottom 5 than top 5 in arm strength

(11-13-2020, 03:01 PM)Kane Wrote: But in some of your evaluation of Trask (arm strength, draft grade) you do seem quite alone, at least when it comes to the scouts and mocks I've been reading.

Of course... I don't twitter, so maybe I'm missing out on all the real smart guys.

I've seen Trask in one first round mock in the last week or so, out of probably a dozen that I've looked at. He also hasn't been on any of the top 32/50 big boards I've looked at either. I think people are viewing him as a low end starting QB/backup, and I am just a little lower than the majority.

(11-13-2020, 02:20 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 08:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. I base my evaluation on what I see now.

So you disagree with the masses that say Fields has looked markedly improved this year with both his pocket presence and going through reads?

Yes, very much so.

(11-13-2020, 03:50 PM)JackCity Wrote: If trask was in the NFL he'd be closer to bottom 5 than top 5 in arm strength

I am not so sure of that.  Trask was mighty impressive again last night against arkansas, the second ranked pass defense in the sec.  He made some legit nfl throws in my opinion.  6 td passes and 79% completion rate.  Mighty impressive.

I watched another QB for the first time yesterday and I was really impressed with him as well. Sam Howell of North Carolina is only a sophomore, but he showed great touch, pocket presence and went through all his progressions in the Tar Heels 59-53 victory against Wake Forest. He threw for 550 yards and 6 TD's which were all school records and he completed 71% of his passes.

I had heard good things about Howell, but I don't get many Tar Heel games in my area, so this was my first chance to see him. He's not overly big at 6'1" 225 lbs., but he was impressive, none the less. I'm gonna be keeping my eye on this kid next season.

The more the season progresses, the less I worry about not getting the number 1 spot. I want a new QB, but the list of potential college QBs seems to get bigger. I would take Lawrence, Fields or Wilson right now. And I'm warming to Trask and Jones. Lance is the wildcard.

(11-15-2020, 12:23 PM)newporttom Wrote: The more the season progresses, the less I worry about not getting the number 1 spot.  I want a new QB, but the list of potential college QBs seems to get bigger.  I would take Lawrence, Fields or Wilson right now.  And I'm warming to Trask and Jones. Lance is the wildcard.

I'd take Lawrence, Trask or Jones. I hate Fields and I have yet to see Wilson play a full game. I've just seen clips of him. I want nothing to do with Lance unless it's the 4th round or later. There's just too small of a sample size to take a small school QB in the first 3 rounds.

(11-15-2020, 12:23 PM)newporttom Wrote: The more the season progresses, the less I worry about not getting the number 1 spot.  I want a new QB, but the list of potential college QBs seems to get bigger.  I would take Lawrence, Fields or Wilson right now.  And I'm warming to Trask and Jones. Lance is the wildcard.

One of the deepest QB classes in some time

Is it 5 or 6 QBs going in the first?

TLaw

Lance

Fields

Trask

Wilson

Jones
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

It’ll be fascinating to see where Lance gets drafted. I think the risk is too much for anyone to take him rd 1

(11-15-2020, 12:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I'd take Lawrence, Trask or Jones. I hate Fields and I have yet to see Wilson play a full game. I've just seen clips of him. I want nothing to do with Lance unless it's the 4th round or later. There's just too small of a sample size to take a small school QB in the first 3 rounds.

No offense but I really don't trust your QB evaluations.

(11-13-2020, 08:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I live in Ohio. I've watched every game Fields has started since coming to Columbus. He's on Network TV every week where I live, because Ohio State is the biggest college football team in Ohio. The problem is that Jaguars' fans are so desperate for a franchise QB and since we basically have no shot at Lawrence, (unless he refuses to go to the Jets,) that people are trying to make Fields into something he's not. He is an elite college QB, but the NFL isn't college. The skillset you have in college and the flaws that you are getting away with, simply because of athleticism aren't going to fly on the next level. Fields reminds me a lot of RG3. People overlooked his flaws and crowned him as an NFL superstar in the making and I didn't buy it. He had terrible mechanics, his receivers were running free and he never completed his progressions, because he had no pocket awareness and was too eager to run. He was an elite college player who's flaws became exposed in the NFL and he became nothing more than a backup. Maybe Fields would have one really good year in the NFL, before teams started to figure him out. That's how RG3 started and then things went downhill quickly. In any case, I see nothing from Fields that makes me believe he can be a franchise NFL QB. 

No. I base my evaluation on what I see now.

This is interesting because when I watched Fields against Penn State, it appeared to me that he didn't go through his progressions.  Additionally, when I watch highlights, it's kind of like watching Bama where the WRs have 10 yards separation on their defenders so it's really hard to gage whether he can fit it into the tight windows that the NFL has to offer.  Someone here mentioned getting the OL dude out of Oregon (Sewell) and Pitts (TE) with our two 1st rounds picks and that seems ideal if we can solidify the D in free agency and also land a veteran QB somewhere out there.  Conversely, Zach Wilson may be a good pick at #2 ----- We're so screwed ....

(11-16-2020, 12:14 AM)JNev Wrote: It’ll be fascinating to see where Lance gets drafted. I think the risk is too much for anyone to take him rd 1

I can see someone taking a flyer late in the first so they can have the 5th year option, a la Jordan Love this year, Lamar a few years back.