Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2020, 10:11 PM by prime winner.)

After today's game I don't want Fields or Wilson. Why not Fields? I want a qb not a rb. As for Wilson, he had some nice throws but not enough to show top talent draft pick. If he can't beat Coastal Carolina then I'm not interested.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-05-2020, 09:00 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 08:09 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Best QB i've seen at UF

The reward for having to suffer through a bunch of mediocre QBs that came after Teebs

Florida has yet to have a good NFL QB so that's not saying a whole lot.

Just saying that purely for college and as someone who follows UF. Don't really care what these guys do in the NFL, unless they become Jags

(12-05-2020, 10:15 PM)jaglyn Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 09:00 PM)Upper Wrote: Florida has yet to have a good NFL QB so that's not saying a whole lot.

Just saying that purely for college and as someone who follows UF. Don't really care what these guys do in the NFL, unless they become Jags

Sure, that's fair. And since Grossman is probably the best NFL QB that UF has ever had, sad I know, I wouldn't be shocked if Trask became the best NFL QB UF has ever had too. Still don't think that makes him a bonafide franchise QB though.

(12-05-2020, 10:37 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 10:15 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Just saying that purely for college and as someone who follows UF. Don't really care what these guys do in the NFL, unless they become Jags

Sure, that's fair. And since Grossman is probably the best NFL QB that UF has ever had, sad I know, I wouldn't be shocked if Trask became the best NFL QB UF has ever had too. Still don't think that makes him a bonafide franchise QB though.

I dont care what school he plays for to be honest.  Dude is setting franchise records in the SEC and putting up better numbers than Burrow did last year.  The only thing he doesn't have is athleticism and thats the last traight in a QB that's important.  His arm isn't huge but its good enough to make almost all the throws

(12-05-2020, 11:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 10:37 PM)Upper Wrote: Sure, that's fair. And since Grossman is probably the best NFL QB that UF has ever had, sad I know, I wouldn't be shocked if Trask became the best NFL QB UF has ever had too. Still don't think that makes him a bonafide franchise QB though.

I dont care what school he plays for to be honest.  Dude is setting franchise records in the SEC and putting up better numbers than Burrow did last year.  The only thing he doesn't have is athleticism and thats the last traight in a QB that's important.  His arm isn't huge but its good enough to make almost all the throws

I do not think Trask's arm is good enough to make all of the throws. He floated several short outs today that he will need to have much more zip for in the NFL, much less mid or deep range outs. He also doesn't have the arm to make throws on the move or off schedule throws if he has to reset after avoiding a rush or whatnot.

(12-05-2020, 11:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 10:37 PM)Upper Wrote: Sure, that's fair. And since Grossman is probably the best NFL QB that UF has ever had, sad I know, I wouldn't be shocked if Trask became the best NFL QB UF has ever had too. Still don't think that makes him a bonafide franchise QB though.

Hahahaha 

You don’t care what school he plays for? Come on now. 

He should be the #1 pick then man. Putting up better numbers than Lawerence. No brainer #1 overall pick.

(12-05-2020, 10:10 PM)prime winner Wrote: After today's game I don't want Fields or Wilson. Why not Fields? I want a qb not a rb. As for Wilson, he had some nice throws but not enough to show top talent draft pick. If he can't beat Coastal Carolina then I'm not interested.

Have you not been watching football at all this year? Coastal Carolina is legit. And that game wasn't on Wilson. He still has all the tools you dream about inn today's game.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-05-2020, 11:51 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 10:10 PM)prime winner Wrote: After today's game I don't want Fields or Wilson. Why not Fields? I want a qb not a rb. As for Wilson, he had some nice throws but not enough to show top talent draft pick. If he can't beat Coastal Carolina then I'm not interested.

Have you not been watching football at all this year? Coastal Carolina is legit. And that game wasn't on Wilson. He still has all the tools you dream about inn today's game.

Coastal Carolina is not legit in the sense that they can run with decent teams like Miami, Georgia, or Florida. I watched much of BYU’s game tonight and just don’t think Wilson is worth using the 2nd pick on. I’d rather see the Jags trade down a couple spots to pick a playmaker then scoop up a Trask or someone else later in the first.

(12-05-2020, 11:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 11:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont care what school he plays for to be honest.  Dude is setting franchise records in the SEC and putting up better numbers than Burrow did last year.  The only thing he doesn't have is athleticism and thats the last traight in a QB that's important.  His arm isn't huge but its good enough to make almost all the throws
Hahahaha 

You don’t care what school he plays for? Come on now. 

He should be the #1 pick then man. Putting up better numbers than Lawerence. No brainer #1 overall pick.

I still say we take two of em. This qb pick is shaping up to be a really tough one. I feel for the new gm. Tough start. Pick 2 one will hit.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 07:02 AM by The Real Marty.)

I really wanted to fall in love with Fields, but after watching yesterday's game, I just cannot.  He's very mobile, for sure, but I don't see NFL-level quarterbacking, at least, not yesterday.  There were several plays where he threw inaccurately (of course it's possible the receiver was at fault), and there was one play where he tried to complete a screen pass when he should have thrown it in the dirt.  I admit I haven't seen a lot of his games.  

As for Trask, I see a lot of NFL-quality throws.  Play after play, he puts the ball where only his receiver can get it.  I know he's not very mobile; he's a classic pocket passer of the old school, and I keep hearing he doesn't have NFL-quality arm strength, but I do remember, at the Combine, Deshaun Watson's arm strength was reported to be surprisingly weak.

And one last thing- if you look at a list of all the top QBs in the league, almost all of them were picked outside the top 5.  So we don't HAVE to pick one at #2, we just have to pick the right one.  I hope our new GM is both smart and lucky.

(12-06-2020, 06:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I really wanted to fall in love with Fields, but after watching yesterday's game, I just cannot.  He's very mobile, for sure, but I don't see NFL-level quarterbacking, at least, not yesterday.  There were several plays where he threw inaccurately (of course it's possible the receiver was at fault), and there was one play where he tried to complete a screen pass when he should have thrown it in the dirt.  I admit I haven't seen a lot of his games.  

As for Trask, I see a lot of NFL-quality throws.  Play after play, he puts the ball where only his receiver can get it.  I know he's not very mobile; he's a classic pocket passer of the old school, and I keep hearing he doesn't have NFL-quality arm strength, but I do remember, at the Combine, Deshaun Watson's arm strength was reported to be surprisingly weak.

And one last thing- if you look at a list of all the top QBs in the league, almost all of them were picked outside the top 5.  So we don't HAVE to pick one at #2, we just have to pick the right one.  I hope our new GM is both smart and lucky.
Agree with everything you just said

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 10:28 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

As of now, I have the QB's ranked......

1. Zach Wilson, BYU
2. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
3. Mac Jones, Alabama
4. Kyle Trask, Florida

Personally, I would be happy with any of these guys. I think this is a pretty deep class and all of these guys have a chance to be very good NFL starters.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 11:13 AM by Upper.)

(12-06-2020, 06:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: but I do remember, at the Combine, Deshaun Watson's arm strength was reported to be surprisingly weak.

And one last thing- if you look at a list of all the top QBs in the league, almost all of them were picked outside the top 5. So we don't HAVE to pick one at #2, we just have to pick the right one. I hope our new GM is both smart and lucky.

That was probably the biggest pre draft blunder I've made, I definitely let it impact me. We've since learned not to count the radar gun because strong arm QBs are there to show off their touch for scouts, and weak armed QBs are throwing it as hard as they can to impress the radar. Both numbers are skewed from how they really throw in the game.

For the second part, it is true but it's the toolsy QBs that fell because of rawness (Mahomes/Allen) or system questions (Rodgers) or size (Wilson) or whatever else. The ones like Jones or Trask that are basically fully formed prospects with significant drawbacks are not the later taken QBs that develop into top QBs.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 11:46 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-06-2020, 11:09 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 06:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: but I do remember, at the Combine, Deshaun Watson's arm strength was reported to be surprisingly weak.

And one last thing- if you look at a list of all the top QBs in the league, almost all of them were picked outside the top 5.  So we don't HAVE to pick one at #2, we just have to pick the right one.  I hope our new GM is both smart and lucky.

That was probably the biggest pre draft blunder I've made, I definitely let it impact me. We've since learned not to count the radar gun because strong arm QBs are there to show off their touch for scouts, and weak armed QBs are throwing it as hard as they can to impress the radar. Both numbers are skewed from how they really throw in the game.

For the second part, it is true but it's the toolsy QBs that fell because of rawness (Mahomes/Allen) or system questions (Rodgers) or size (Wilson) or whatever else. The ones like Jones or Trask that are basically fully formed prospects with significant drawbacks are not the later taken QBs that develop into top QBs.

Fell?  Mahomes and Allen were both taken in the top 10.  And fully formed prospects?  This is Jones and Trasks 1st full year as a starter, I would say far from fully formed prospects.  The only reason they are falling is because of their athleticism.  If the Manning Brothers, Rivers etc. were to come out this year the would be saying they are 2nd round picks.  If this draft was 10 or 15 years ago they would go in the top 5

I'm personally not a big fan of Wilson.

Just get the vibe that he's not gonna succeed in the NFL.

(12-06-2020, 10:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As of now, I have the QB's ranked......

1. Zach Wilson, BYU
3. Mac Jones, Alabama
4. Kyle Trask, Florida

Personally, I would be happy with any of these guys. I think this is a pretty deep class and all of these guys have a chance to be very good NFL starters.

I believe there is a pretty big gap between Lawrence and the other 3. The difference between him and Wilson is size and level of competition. It wouldn't shock me if Wilson ends up being a franchise quarterback. I would draft him ahead of Fields as things stand now. Fields is a great athlete, but I question whether he has the intangibles to succeed in the NFL.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 05:09 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-06-2020, 02:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 10:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As of now, I have the QB's ranked......

1. Zach Wilson, BYU
3. Mac Jones, Alabama
4. Kyle Trask, Florida

I believe there is a pretty big gap between Lawrence and the other 3. The difference between him and Wilson is size and level of competition. It wouldn't shock me if Wilson ends up being a franchise quarterback. I would draft him ahead of Fields as things stand now. Fields is a great athlete, but I question whether he has the intangibles to succeed in the NFL.

The level of competition cannot be helped. As far as the size, Lawrence is definitely taller, but he's a tall QB. At 6'3" 210 lbs, Wilson is far from being a small QB. He's actually taller than Aaron Rodgers and Deshaun Watson and those guys are considered pretty prototypical on their size. He could add some weight to his frame, but that will come. I have him just the slightest of hairs ahead of Lawrence right now, but I'd be thrilled with either guy. Outside of these two, I'd probably draft 2 QB's. One with our second 1st round pick and a project with high upside somewhere in the 4th or 5th round like Sam Ehlinger of Texas or Shane Buechele of SMU.

I totally agree about Fields.

(12-06-2020, 05:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 02:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I believe there is a pretty big gap between Lawrence and the other 3. The difference between him and Wilson is size and level of competition. It wouldn't shock me if Wilson ends up being a franchise quarterback. I would draft him ahead of Fields as things stand now. Fields is a great athlete, but I question whether he has the intangibles to succeed in the NFL.

The level of competition cannot be helped. As far as the size, Lawrence is definitely taller, but he's a tall QB. At 6'3" 210 lbs, Wilson is far from being a small QB. He's actually taller than Aaron Rodgers and Deshaun Watson and those guys are considered pretty prototypical on their size. He could add some weight to his frame, but that will come. I have him just the slightest of hairs ahead of Lawrence right now, but I'd be thrilled with either guy. Outside of these two, I'd probably draft 2 QB's. One with our second 1st round pick and a project with high upside somewhere in the 4th or 5th round like Sam Ehlinger of Texas or Shane Buechele of SMU.

I would take the best q.b. on the board with our 1st pick rather than wait until the end of round 1 for whatever is left. Wilson should be the guy, but the Jaguars never get anything right. I agree with you about Wilson not being able to control the competition, but it would have been nice to see him play against good defenses every week. That being said, I just have a hunch he is going to be a very good NFL quarterback since he appears to have all the desirable traits.

(12-06-2020, 05:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 02:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I believe there is a pretty big gap between Lawrence and the other 3. The difference between him and Wilson is size and level of competition. It wouldn't shock me if Wilson ends up being a franchise quarterback. I would draft him ahead of Fields as things stand now. Fields is a great athlete, but I question whether he has the intangibles to succeed in the NFL.

You are the only person on planet earth who would rank Lawrence behind Wilson, but I suspect you like it that way.