Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(12-06-2020, 05:12 AM)captivating Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 01:44 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: None of those examples have shuttered thousands of businesses, put people out of work, shut down schools, limited the number of people who can work at a place of business causing unemployment and underemployment as well as reduced manufacturing resulting in shortages of goods, etc. 

They have not destroyed the livelihoods of thousands of people, impacted the education of scores of school kids, brought on mental illness, forced people who live in abusive households to be around their abusers during shelter in place orders. I could go on.

Rubbish.

If the Government didn't control the speed on the road, or mandate car safety features, thousands more would die every year. The government is there to make the tough decisions that people can't / wont.  How many lives are saved by mandating the wearing of safety belts?  What about drink drive rules?

These decisions have saved lives, just like the COVID response of shuttering businesses, lockdowns and wearing masks.  It's about saving lives.

Wow.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-06-2020, 02:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 12:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I'd be happy to hear your suggestions for viable options or consider alternatives that have proven successful in other countries.

We've had perfectly viable options in the past that have slowly been removed in favor of statism, and I don't give 2 [BLEEP] about how lesser countries do things.

Perhaps I should have been more attentive in history class.  What options for government run and taxed funded military, police, fire, border patrol, schools, etc. have we had and lost?

If practices you deem preferable are operating successfully in other countries, why do you refer to them as "lesser"?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-06-2020, 02:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 05:12 AM)captivating Wrote: Rubbish.

If the Government didn't control the speed on the road, or mandate car safety features, thousands more would die every year. The government is there to make the tough decisions that people can't / wont.  How many lives are saved by mandating the wearing of safety belts?  What about drink drive rules?

These decisions have saved lives, just like the COVID response of shuttering businesses, lockdowns and wearing masks.  It's about saving lives.

Wow.

Parenting goals right here to make sure my kids never think something like this.

(12-06-2020, 11:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 11:02 AM)Sneakers Wrote: I don't think you've really thought this one through to it's inevitable conclusion, were those laws eliminated. 

How do you fund government at any level without taxes?  Taxes pay for the military, public schools, police and fire departments, border patrol, social security, health care.....  Terminate any one of those tomorrow and the country falls into chaos. 
If you live in a quiet residential neighborhood, do you want someone going by at 80 mph when you're kids are playing in the yard?  Can your neighbor blast the stereo at 3 am?  Target practice?  Target practice at 3 am?

I think you have no idea how many years I've spent thinking it through and I think you've been conditioned to believe that government is the only solution to those issues you raised.

Capitalism had its go and delivered us the GFC that needed the Government to bail out businesses and save jobs because some money hungry grubs thought it prudent to think that if you bundle a whole lot of delinquent loans, they are worth something.

The Government is there to protect us against the idiots, the selfish and the greedy.

(12-06-2020, 03:59 PM)captivating Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 11:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think you have no idea how many years I've spent thinking it through and I think you've been conditioned to believe that government is the only solution to those issues you raised.

Capitalism had its go and delivered us the GFC that needed the Government to bail out businesses and save jobs because some money hungry grubs thought it prudent to think that if you bundle a whole lot of delinquent loans, they are worth something.

The Government is there to protect us against the idiots, the selfish and the greedy.

There are other countries you could move to that better support your ideals of government control.

(12-06-2020, 03:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 02:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Wow.

Parenting goals right here to make sure my kids never think something like this.

Your kids will believe what they want.
you try to control what they say, they'll believe the same thing, they just won't share it with you.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 04:10 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(12-06-2020, 04:07 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 03:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Parenting goals right here to make sure my kids never think something like this.

Your kids will believe what they want.
you try to control what they say, they'll believe the same thing, they just won't share it with you.

Na. Just gotta raise them with values.

I can promise you my children will never be on a message board complaining about the evils of capitalism.

(12-06-2020, 11:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think you have no idea how many years I've spent thinking it through and I think you've been conditioned to believe that government is the only solution to those issues you raised.

The Government IS the idiots, the selfish and the greedy and their involvement in the real estate market created the conditions for the Great Recession. And then, because they could, the bailed out those who should've been left to die.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-06-2020, 04:09 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 04:07 PM)mikesez Wrote: Your kids will believe what they want.

I can promise you my children will never be on a message board complaining about the evils of capitalism.

And I guess your kids would never text when driving either?  Or they always use hands free in designated zones. What about their friends, family of friends.

I guess this law is just the Government wanting to control us.  Nothing to do with safety and saving lives.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 04:27 PM by mikesez.)

Your lips to God's ears, bro.

(12-06-2020, 04:24 PM)captivating Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 04:09 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Na. Just gotta raise them with values.

And I guess your kids would never text when driving either?  Or they always use hands free in designated zones. What about their friends, family of friends.

I guess this law is just the Government wanting to control us.  Nothing to do with safety and saving lives.

Good point.

Not a good point.  We had a mixed economy before the crash and we still have one now.  We are a regulated capitalist economy with a stingy safety net.  We just have a bit more regulation after Dodd-Frank.  Republicans had full control of government from 2017 to 2019 and they only tweaked Dodd-Frank.  Dodd Frank remains in effect.
The safety net got a bit tighter with Obamacare.  Again, the Republicans had a chance to repeal it and didn't.

We are tweaking the government's approach to the economy slowly, and we're not actually disagreeing about it that much.  Lots of noise without much movement.  Certainly not enough movement for us to make statements that one system "had its go" and another is starting.

Bahahaha 

You have absolutely no clue how your children will turn out. As a parent, you should know that.

You can do your best to steer them in the right direction but ultimately, they are their own person and will make their own decisions and choices in life.

Giuliani is the newest Covidiot in the country.

(12-05-2020, 06:13 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 05:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The problem is that government should have as near to 0 control over people as possible.  Explain why a person who owns a restaurant (and also EMPLOYS PEOPLE) with outdoor seating is forced to shut down, yet a movie company is able to set up outdoor seating 50 ft. away and it's acceptable.

Again, the shutdowns have nothing to do with "safety" and everything to do with control.

I might have missed something up thread.  Where and when did that happen?
I will say that movie theaters are usually only under police authority while restaurants are usually under police and also under health inspectors. A health inspector might make a decision that the sheriff's deputy doesn't agree with.  Doesn't make it right, that's what might have happened though.

(12-05-2020, 08:11 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 07:25 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Perhaps you missed the link that I posted.  Since snowflakes like you don't like reading anything from FOX News, here is the twitter post.

https://twitter.com/jakecoco/status/1334...oor-dining

Thats pretty open and shut.
Outdoor restaurant service is not allowed, but filming movies is allowed.  
The filmmakers were doing an outdoor restaurant scene.

It's dumb, but it's not corrupt and there is a due process to it.
I don't think outdoor dining spreads Covid.  I guess the kitchen workers are indoors and wait staff are in and out so it's not totally risk free, but, I still wouldn't go after that for reducing the outbreak.
California is dumb.
It's been dumb since the 1960s. Film at 11.

Once again, as usual you are wrong.  The "outdoor restaurant scene" was actually the place that was set up for catered food for the film company.

As I said, it has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with government overreach and power.

Also, since when is filming movies an "essential" business?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-05-2020, 06:13 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 05:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The problem is that government should have as near to 0 control over people as possible.  Explain why a person who owns a restaurant (and also EMPLOYS PEOPLE) with outdoor seating is forced to shut down, yet a movie company is able to set up outdoor seating 50 ft. away and it's acceptable.

Again, the shutdowns have nothing to do with "safety" and everything to do with control.

I might have missed something up thread.  Where and when did that happen?
I will say that movie theaters are usually only under police authority while restaurants are usually under police and also under health inspectors. A health inspector might make a decision that the sheriff's deputy doesn't agree with.  Doesn't make it right, that's what might have happened though.

(12-06-2020, 11:02 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 09:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm opposed to government control or the existence of laws regarding everything you listed there as well. Because every one of them simply leads to more and more of them. Then one day the government assumes the right to close down the entire country and penalize people for things like not wearing masks, going to church, or having holiday meals in their homes. That people aren't MORE outraged about this shows how successful the destruction of American values has been over the past 50 years.

I don't think you've really thought this one through to it's inevitable conclusion, were those laws eliminated. 

How do you fund government at any level without taxes?  Taxes pay for the military, public schools, police and fire departments, border patrol, social security, health care.....  Terminate any one of those tomorrow and the country falls into chaos. 
If you live in a quiet residential neighborhood, do you want someone going by at 80 mph when you're kids are playing in the yard?  Can your neighbor blast the stereo at 3 am?  Target practice?  Target practice at 3 am?

From what you listed, taxes should be used to pay for the military, police, fire departments and border patrol.  Eliminate funding for public schools and let the private sector handle it.  Social security and health care (retirement and health insurance) are individual responsibilities, not the government's.  Again let free markets and the private sector drive that.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Heard this thing is getting bad ! Better stay inside for awhile !

(12-08-2020, 01:11 PM)BushCheney2000 Wrote: Heard this thing is getting bad ! Better stay inside for awhile !

Poppycock, inside is the most dangerous place to be! You should put up a tent in your back yard, then you can be inside and outside at the same time. It's really the only safe protective measure available. Well, that and the full body condom.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-08-2020, 01:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 01:11 PM)BushCheney2000 Wrote: Heard this thing is getting bad ! Better stay inside for awhile !

Poppycock, inside is the most dangerous place to be! You should put up a tent in your back yard, then you can be inside and outside at the same time. It's really the only safe protective measure available. Well, that and the full body condom.

[Image: giphy.gif]

...knew that was coming. We're showing our age.

(12-08-2020, 03:35 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: ...knew that was coming. We're showing our age.

At my age it takes a lot longer.