Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(12-10-2020, 12:47 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I like your bootstraps approach to life, HB, but this is a really novel vaccine. In the past, vaccines introduced watered down viruses in to our system and our bodies naturally fought it off. This vaccine, however, sends instructions to your RNA about how your body should fight this disease. It could completely revolutionize how we handle diseases moving forward, or it could be a huge mistake. It's not stupid to think that a rushed vaccine, one that functions completely differently than anything we've been exposed to in the past, is probably unsafe. When you add to the fact that it was rushed into production for a disease that isn't even deadly to MOST humans, it doesn't make sense to be first in line.

Speaking for myself, I don't want any part of a treatment that is altering my RNA. That stuff replicates, and if something goes wrong, it could be catastrophic. Now, if Covid were rampaging through the streets dropping 20% of the population, maybe sign me up. But I'm gonna hard pass for now.

I think you have a misunderstanding of how mRNA vaccines work.

Could mRNA COVID-19 vaccines be dangerous in the long-term? - The Jerusalem Post (jpost.com)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Maybe so. Please explain.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2020, 01:22 PM by homebiscuit.)

(12-10-2020, 01:14 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Maybe so. Please explain.

It doesn't alter your RNA, only instructs your cells to produce a certain protein compound.

mRNA vaccines aren't new. How Safe Are the mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines? We Asked the Experts. (msn.com)

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2020, 03:31 PM by mikesez.)

As I understand it, the body considers RNA disposable.
Your chromosomes are the "master file" or "permanent record" and they are stored in DNA.
So your body will use the vaccine's RNA to make the spike proteins, but that RNA will be consumed, and the body won't replace it.
This is called The Central Dogma of Molecular Biology.

The one exception is if an enzyme like Reverse Transcriptase is present. Reverse Transcriptase is actually a family of enzymes. They don't just turn any old RNA back into DNA. Each enzyme only works for specific sequences of RNA. There is no reason to believe that humans produce a reverse transcriptase for this particular sequence of RNA. That's why we had trials. You shouldn't expect any permanent results from this vaccine.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2020, 02:29 PM by Lucky2Last.)

(12-10-2020, 01:18 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 01:14 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Maybe so. Please explain.

It doesn't alter your RNA, only instructs your cells to produce a certain protein compound.

mRNA vaccines aren't new. How Safe Are the mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines? We Asked the Experts. (msn.com)

They are definitely new. There are zero licenses for mRNA vaccines in the US. Just because they have been studied for years, the roll out on the human population will be something to watch. In your article, it said the vaccine has been given to 70k people who have been observed for the last 2 months. Sorry, dude... that's not cutting it for me. 

To your other point, I should have chosen my words more carefully. The vaccine is "altering" or manipulating your RNA by having it build a protein in your system, which is then replicated in many cells in your body. I'm not going to pretend I'm a molecular biologist here, but I will share my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong. The vaccine basically sends instructions to your RNA to build a protein that then gets replicated throughout your cells. Once the protein is found by your immune system, it produces the antibodies that destroy it, which should also work against Covid. Is that correct? 

So, we are doing a mass rollout of a new mechanism for vaccination that has not been tested on humans for an extended period of time for a disease that doesn't kill the vast majority of human beings. You don't think there's a chance that could go sideways?

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2020, 05:57 PM by p_rushing.)

Check the reports and new warnings coming out of the UK for the vaccine

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

(12-10-2020, 02:28 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 01:18 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It doesn't alter your RNA, only instructs your cells to produce a certain protein compound.

They are definitely new. There are zero licenses for mRNA vaccines in the US. Just because they have been studied for years, the roll out on the human population will be something to watch. In your article, it said the vaccine has been given to 70k people who have been observed for the last 2 months. Sorry, dude... that's not cutting it for me. 

To your other point, I should have chosen my words more carefully. The vaccine is "altering" or manipulating your RNA by having it build a protein in your system, which is then replicated in many cells in your body. I'm not going to pretend I'm a molecular biologist here, but I will share my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong. The vaccine basically sends instructions to your RNA to build a protein that then gets replicated throughout your cells. Once the protein is found by your immune system, it produces the antibodies that destroy it, which should also work against Covid. Is that correct? 

So, we are doing a mass rollout of a new mechanism for vaccination that has not been tested on humans for an extended period of time for a disease that doesn't kill the vast majority of human beings. You don't think there's a chance that could go sideways?

From the article: "mRNA vaccines were found to be effective in numerous human trials for infectious disease and cancer prior to the start of the pandemic."

Scientists are not going into this blind. Lots of previous research, proven trials and knowledge was applied to this vaccine. Little new ground is being plowed, which is why they were able to develop it so quickly. 

There's always the possibility something could go wrong, but that goes with any new treatment. What they already knew, coupled with what they've learned has enabled them to deem the possibility of severe side affects as very minimal. Call me crazy, but I trust what they've developed. 

I'll make a promise to you and everyone on this board. After I get the vaccine I'll let everyone know if anything goes sideways. 

Although, I wouldn't mind being able to go Hulk on occasion.  Wink

Meh.  I haven't had a flu shot since I got out of the Navy in 1999.  The most I have had is a tetanus shot when I had a mishap or two (or three).  I don't feel like I need to get a vaccine for another kind of flu.  I'll pass.

Meanwhile we are getting ready for our "super spreader" party this weekend.

A funny/stupid/ironic thing happened to me today.  I stopped to get a propane tank filled at the gas station at the military base that I work on.  When the lady that filled my tank gave me my slip, she told me that I had to go inside of the store to pay for it and she stressed (more than once) "you have to have a mask on!".  I put on my disposable mask that I have used exactly two other times that has been sitting in my truck, and walk inside the store.  There she is with her mask... covering her mouth with her nose exposed...  The funny part is that she turned around and sneezed without covering her nose, then rubbed her nose with her un-gloved finger before ringing up my order on a register which I assume other employees use.

The masks do nothing period.  They have become nothing more than a statement, sometimes even "fashion" statements.  The statement is that the person wearing it is a sheep.

Ponder this.  Why are there no bio-hazard disposal receptacles in public places for masks and/or gloves worn by sheep?  Surely if this virus is so deadly and so contagious there would be such a thing.  People are buying and wearing their "custom" masks.  Are they approved?  Do they get properly washed and sanitized after every use?

The shutdowns/lockdowns need to stop.  Let people decide on their own what they want to do.  Don't want to go to a crowded restaurant or bar because you are afraid of catching the China virus?  Don't go.  Let others who aren't sheep go and let the owners and employees of such places earn their living.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-10-2020, 07:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Meh.  I haven't had a flu shot since I got out of the Navy in 1999.  The most I have had is a tetanus shot when I had a mishap or two (or three).  I don't feel like I need to get a vaccine for another kind of flu.  I'll pass.

A funny/stupid/ironic thing happened to me today.  I stopped to get a propane tank filled at the gas station at the military base that I work on.  When the lady that filled my tank gave me my slip, she told me that I had to go inside of the store to pay for it and she stressed (more than once) "you have to have a mask on!".  I put on my disposable mask that I have used exactly two other times that has been sitting in my truck, and walk inside the store.  There she is with her mask... covering her mouth with her nose exposed...  The funny part is that she turned around and sneezed without covering her nose, then rubbed her nose with her un-gloved finger before ringing up my order on a register which I assume other employees use.

The masks do nothing period.  They have become nothing more than a statement, sometimes even "fashion" statements.  The statement is that the person wearing it is a sheep.

Ponder this.  Why are there no bio-hazard disposal receptacles in public places for masks and/or gloves worn by sheep?  Surely if this virus is so deadly and so contagious there would be such a thing.  People are buying and wearing their "custom" masks.  Are they approved?  Do they get properly washed and sanitized after every use?

The shutdowns/lockdowns need to stop.  Let people decide on their own what they want to do.  Don't want to go to a crowded restaurant or bar because you are afraid of catching the China virus?  Don't go.  Let others who aren't sheep go and let the owners and employees of such places earn their living.
Again with your party? Sweet! Didn’t know this was the thread to talk about parties.

Last weekend we had a few friends over to have drinks on the porch. Moscow Mules man.... have you ever had one?! Boy they’re delicious.

(12-10-2020, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 07:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Meh.  I haven't had a flu shot since I got out of the Navy in 1999.  The most I have had is a tetanus shot when I had a mishap or two (or three).  I don't feel like I need to get a vaccine for another kind of flu.  I'll pass.

Again with your party? Sweet! Didn’t know this was the thread to talk about parties.

Last weekend we had a few friends over to have drinks on the porch. Moscow Mules man.... have you ever had one?! Boy they’re delicious.

I've always wanted to try one of those. Did you drink it out of a copper cup?

(12-10-2020, 08:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Again with your party? Sweet! Didn’t know this was the thread to talk about parties.

I've always wanted to try one of those. Did you drink it out of a copper cup?
My man. It’s the only way to go.

Ginger beer, fresh lime, tiny ice cubes and vodka. Very refreshing. My wife throws a little cranberry in hers for the holidays.

I prefer the Kentucky Mule, I don't care for the vodak.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2020, 11:20 PM by p_rushing.)

(12-10-2020, 07:26 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 02:28 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: They are definitely new. There are zero licenses for mRNA vaccines in the US. Just because they have been studied for years, the roll out on the human population will be something to watch. In your article, it said the vaccine has been given to 70k people who have been observed for the last 2 months. Sorry, dude... that's not cutting it for me. 

From the article: "mRNA vaccines were found to be effective in numerous human trials for infectious disease and cancer prior to the start of the pandemic."

Scientists are not going into this blind. Lots of previous research, proven trials and knowledge was applied to this vaccine. Little new ground is being plowed, which is why they were able to develop it so quickly. 

There's always the possibility something could go wrong, but that goes with any new treatment. What they already knew, coupled with what they've learned has enabled them to deem the possibility of severe side affects as very minimal. Call me crazy, but I trust what they've developed. 

I'll make a promise to you and everyone on this board. After I get the vaccine I'll let everyone know if anything goes sideways. 

The side affects are not minimal. The UK has already said to not take it if you suffer from allergies, that was after how many days? Then I saw in Australia where one of the vaccines the people in the trials were testing positive for HIV. The second shot is worse and trial members report it wasn't a normal reaction to a vaccine.

Then they haven't tested what happens when a new infection occurs in the future to this or a slightly different strain.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(12-10-2020, 07:26 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: From the article: "mRNA vaccines were found to be effective in numerous human trials for infectious disease and cancer prior to the start of the pandemic."

I'd be more worried about something that won't go upright.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-10-2020, 11:19 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 07:26 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: From the article: "mRNA vaccines were found to be effective in numerous human trials for infectious disease and cancer prior to the start of the pandemic."

The side affects are not minimal. The UK has already said to not take it if you suffer from allergies, that was after how many days? Then I saw in Australia where one of the vaccines the people in the trials were testing positive for HIV. The second shot is worse and trial members report it wasn't a normal reaction to a vaccine.

Then they haven't tested what happens when a new infection occurs in the future to this or a slightly different strain.

The UK's allergy advice is not significantly different from the advice about every other vaccine, people with known allergies have to be careful. Australia's failed vaccine used an HIV protein which in turn caused a few people to generate HIV antibodies, no one got HIV from the vaccine. Less than 5% of test subjects had a reaction of any severity to the Pfizer vaccine, and the difference was 1/10th of 1% between those who received the vaccine and those who received the placebo. The side effects of inflammation, headache, chills, fever, etc are, again, not significantly different than any other vaccine. In short, the side effects are in fact minimal and not unexpected. Get the shot or don't, but at least argue facts and not fear-mongering.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-10-2020, 07:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Meanwhile we are getting ready for our "super spreader" party this weekend.

The masks do nothing period.  

The new definition of "social irresponsibility".

I could use a good laugh, why don't you explain the "science" supporting your mask theory? 

Are you really unable to understand the relationship between the party and the shutdown?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

"The masks do nothing period."

Seriously?  Use some common sense.  The mask holds back your breath, and that holds back the virus that travels on your breath.  It's the same reason people cover their mouth when they cough.

(12-11-2020, 12:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 11:19 PM)p_rushing Wrote: The side affects are not minimal. The UK has already said to not take it if you suffer from allergies, that was after how many days? Then I saw in Australia where one of the vaccines the people in the trials were testing positive for HIV. The second shot is worse and trial members report it wasn't a normal reaction to a vaccine.

The UK's allergy advice is not significantly different from the advice about every other vaccine, people with known allergies have to be careful. Australia's failed vaccine used an HIV protein which in turn caused a few people to generate HIV antibodies, no one got HIV from the vaccine. Less than 5% of test subjects had a reaction of any severity to the Pfizer vaccine, and the difference was 1/10th of 1% between those who received the vaccine and those who received the placebo. The side effects of inflammation, headache, chills, fever, etc are, again, not significantly different than any other vaccine. In short, the side effects are in fact minimal and not unexpected. Get the shot or don't, but at least argue facts and not fear-mongering.
It is certainly different and a departure from 2 days before, unless they just didn't bother to tell anyone. Why did they feel the need to tell people if it's standard and these people should already know to not take it?

6 people died in the Pfizer testing, 4 without and 2 with the vaccine. Yes people die, but generally it takes a long time to analyze the data and confirm that nothing caused the death. Having 1 person die is bad, no clue how they got approval with multiple deaths.

Maybe the vaccine will be great and maybe it will be bad but I won't be a test subject. We don't know how they got to +90% effectiveness, they were struggling to get to 50% previously.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

(12-11-2020, 08:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

"The masks do nothing period."

Seriously?  Use some common sense.  The mask holds back your breath, and that holds back the virus that travels on your breath.  It's the same reason people cover their mouth when they cough.
Leave him alone! He’s got a party to get ready for! He’s been talking about it all week so he’s very excited!

(12-11-2020, 08:39 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 07:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Meanwhile we are getting ready for our "super spreader" party this weekend.

The masks do nothing period.  

The new definition of "social irresponsibility".

I could use a good laugh, why don't you explain the "science" supporting your mask theory? 

Are you really unable to understand the relationship between the party and the shutdown?

The science is pretty clear, the use of masks without 1. correct and continual use, and 2. adherence to the entire spectrum of PPE protocols leads to little to no reduction in transmission of viral contagions. In fact, the use of ineffective cloth face masks actually creates a false sense of security that relaxes the use of the truly effective protocols. So every time Suzy Sunshine touches her mask, pulls down her mask, wears her mask under her nose or chin, reuses her mask without washing it, stands within 6 feet of another person, or fails to wash her hands properly she almost certainly eliminates any benefit received from wearing a non-standardized, ill-fitting, Chinese-manufactured, insufficiently layered, piece of cotton on her face.

But hey, you don't have to take my word for it, this guy sourced like 50 different studies in his review:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect...sound-data