Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:Implying at this time. Nice cherry pick though. Even still I would assume a 15th best tackle would demand more than a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick. The Ravens sure seem thrilled to move on from McKinnie who would love to be mentioned as anothing close in nature. Btw why don't you Google our successor to Monroe, Joeckel and see where he ranks in the league.

How was that a cherry pick?  It was the sentence directly after the one you where you said he was a top 10 tackle in the 2012 season. 

Comparing Monroe to McKinnie doesn't help your argument.  Bryant is in his 30s and clearly on the end of his career. 

I am not googling anyone.  I don't care what PFF says.  I don't care about what some Baltimore Sun columnist who has probably only seen Jaguar games when they played each other says. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Multiple third day picks???? Come on. We need a new GM. NOW

We didn't even do as well as the Marlins........at least the Florida Marlins usually get very good draft choices/ (i.e. prospects) in return for their fire sales....as proven by their rebuilding that led to their 2 world series wins. We just got the equivalent of 2 Emilio Bonafacio's in exchange for a Mike Stanton....

Quote:It wasn't a change in argument. People keep saying "well he wasn't going to stay anyways" so you franchise him. Try to work out a long term deal. We have the funds available to do so. Especially with it being cap carryover we can front load the deal and have him on the cheap for the next 3-5 years.

Maybe you don't understand the value of the franchise tag. You use the tag to keep other teams from signing him while you:

A) workout a long term contract

Or

B ) attempt to trade him for decent value.

Either we would have been able to keep him or we would have at least been able to work on a trade to net more than "multiple 3rd day picks" usually right before or during the draft is when we could get the most value for a franchise cornerstone.

No apparently you don't understand the Franchise Tag.  They get paid in the top 5 in the league and your googling skills by now have already told you that he is between 10th and 15th tackle in the league. 

Quote:No apparently you don't understand the Franchise Tag.  They get paid in the top 5 in the league and your googling skills by now have already told you that he is between 10th and 15th tackle in the league. 

they get paid that for one season, big deal....

and only if they actually play it - if the player gets dealt while franchised then you aren't paying the salary anyway. 

Quote:We didn't even do as well as the Marlins........at least the Florida Marlins usually get very good draft choices/ (i.e. prospects) in return for their fire sales....as proven by their rebuilding that led to their 2 world series wins. We just got the equivalent of 2 Emilio Bonafacio's in exchange for a Mike Stanton....

And some folks are too naive to realize this was stupid. Probably the same "in Gene we trust" folks lol

Quote:No apparently you don't understand the Franchise Tag.  They get paid in the top 5 in the league and your googling skills by now have already told you that he is between 10th and 15th tackle in the league. 
true

Quote:they get paid that for one season, big deal....

and only if they actually play it - if the player gets dealt while franchised then you aren't paying the salary anyway. 

Since the Franchise Tag has been around how many players have actually been traded?

Quote:How was that a cherry pick? It was the sentence directly after the one you where you said he was a top 10 tackle in the 2012 season.

Comparing Monroe to McKinnie doesn't help your argument. Bryant is in his 30s and clearly on the end of his career.

I am not googling anyone. I don't care what PFF says. I don't care about what some Baltimore Sun columnist who has probably only seen Jaguar games when they played each other says.

And I have no reason to prove what most people with connections in the NFL already know. If you decide to be ignorant or turn a blind eye then so be it.

Back on topic. We spent a #2 overall pick to replace an already "above average" player because we decide we could replace him in the draft.

Does anyone remember the turnstile we had at RT last year? Well he's back in the starting line up.

That is what i consider a wasted pick.

1-1=0. The pick was a wash.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:And some folks are too naive to realize this was stupid. Probably the same "in Gene we trust" folks lol

I was fine with dealing Monroe.....just very unhappy with the return. Seems disproportionate. 

Quote:Since the Franchise Tag has been around how many players have actually been traded?

I don't know an exact number, but it has happened. Several times, IIRC. 

Quote:And I have no reason to prove what most people with connections in the NFL already know. If you decide to be ignorant or turn a blind eye then so be it.

Back on topic. We spent a #2 overall pick to replace an already "above average" player because we decide we could replace him in the draft.

Does anyone remember the turnstile we had at RT last year? Well he's back in the starting line up.

Yeah it happens.  Sack up. 

Looking back at Monroe's draft year, only 9 players between rounds 4-7, pick 100-256, are even currently starters.  One is a kicker and one is a fullback.  And only 3 are even on the same team.  Excluding the fullback and kicker, that's a 4.4% chance that a pick in those rounds become a starter and even less that they remain a starter on our team.  That's what we are getting for a very good LT.

Quote:I don't know an exact number, but it has happened. Several times, IIRC. 

I have only heard of it a few times (maybe less) I can't remember who it was.  Monroe wasn't going to get two first round picks for him.  That would be just dumb. 

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 12:30 AM by TheSchmidt.)

A couple third day picks is what I would expect if a team like Seattle or Denver traded for him to replace their injured elite LTs and let him walk after the year. Baltimore didn't trade for a 25 (26?) year old above average LT for a single season. Caldwell knows damn well the Ravens want him as there long term piece there. Make them pay for that. After seeing some of the bad offensive lines around the league, I find it hard to believe a team wouldn't give up at least a 2nd round pick for a good young player at a premium position, or something like a 3rd and 4th (I hope that's what the Baltimore trade turns out to be)

As far as I look at it, we came into last years draft with a top 10 LT and a 2nd overall pick. Joeckel better become top 3 at the position or we just traded the #2 pick in last years draft for a couple third day picks, IMO.

Bravo.

I thought Luke Joeckel was a wasted pick at the time  because we already had Eugene Monroe on the left side, so we needed a right tackle. Now with Monroe gone we are finally able to say it is not a wasted draft pick. Getting two mid-round picks (I wish ESPN said which rounds they are) instead of one compensatory pick will help us a lot. So anyone who says we wasted our #2 overall draft pick now has no idea what he is talking about because at TAMU, Joeckel played on the left side.

That said, this report shocked me as much as the Tyson Alualu pick because Monroe was one of the best players on the team and playing under his rookie contract. I know it is hard to get good picks in return for bad players - D'Anthony Smith would have given us a seventh round pick if Seattle had kept him - but keeping all of our best players would be more logical in the short term. If we can get a very good right tackle in the draft and he plays up to his potential, this will go down as a genius long term move.

Quote:Looking back at Monroe's draft year, only 9 players between rounds 4-7, pick 100-256, are even currently starters.  One is a kicker and one is a fullback.  And only 3 are even on the same team.  Excluding the fullback and kicker, that's a 4.4% chance that a pick in those rounds become a starter and even less that they remain a starter on our team.  That's what we are getting for a very good LT.

Hence, my displeasure with the return on the deal. 

Quote:Since the Franchise Tag has been around how many players have actually been traded?

Since the franchise tag has been around how many actually played under the tag for an entire season vs signing a new deal?

And to the ones who have and walked afterwards guess what?

Those teams received compensatory picks.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:link?
https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/3...9088142336

2, sorry. Read it in a post on here and was misinformed.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:And I have no reason to prove what most people with connections in the NFL already know. If you decide to be ignorant or turn a blind eye then so be it.

Yeah, you consider a lot of things. Many of them are asinine.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 12:35 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I have only heard of it a few times (maybe less) I can't remember who it was.  Monroe wasn't going to get two first round picks for him.  That would be just dumb. 

who said Monroe was going to fetch that??

When you franchise a player and trade them, you can make whatever deal you wish. It doesn't have to be for the "textbook" 2 first rounders.....thats only the price if another team signs the player without negotiating a trade first -

The Jags could have negotiated a 2nd & 5th round compensation (or whatever) while Monroe was franchised next offseason. At that point you probably would have had more desperate suitors.