Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:Then it would just be a trade.  And you would probably get exactly what you got for him today. 

That is what he was saying.  He was talking about franchising Monroe and working a trade if the best trade you can get currently is a couple of late round picks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Ok Mr. Football. Do you really think that someone would sign Monroe if they had to give up two first round picks? A lot easier said then done. And my evaluating skills suck?

I didn't say they would. But with that as a deterrent from losing Monroe we would have all offseason and next year (before trade deadline) to either get him re-signed or trade him to the highest bidder.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:How can you love this trade when you don't know what the Ravens gave up?
We know this much: they gave us two mid-round picks. That is more than one compensatory pick we would get if Caldwell let Monroe walk next year.

Quote:I didn't say they would. But with that as a deterrent from losing Monroe we would have all offseason and next year (before trade deadline) to either get him re-signed or trade him to the highest bidder.

You probably would be getting exactly what you are getting now.  What would be the difference?

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:05 AM by trunt87.)

Quote:That is what he was saying.  He was talking about franchising Monroe and working a trade if the best trade you can get currently is a couple of late round picks.

They just did that without having to place the franchise tag on him.  The whole point is to franchise a player good enough so you can get the first round draft picks. 

Quote:You probably would be getting exactly what you are getting now.  What would be the difference?

Maybe, maybe not.  But most agree a couple late rounders isn't good value for Monroe.  Wait and see seems like a good approach.  Or, you know, just resign the man.  Absolute worst case scenario is that you have Monroe for 1.5 more years and he walks and you get a 4th rounder as a compensatory pick instead of a 4th and a 5th (If that's even what we got).

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:07 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:We know this much: they gave us two mid-round picks. That is more than one compensatory pick we would get if Caldwell let Monroe walk next year.
Not necessarily. Two mid round picks could be two 5th rounders, two fourth rounders, two 3rd roundes or any combination of those. You think most will agree that two 3rd rounders would trump one 3rd round compensatory but on the contrary one 3rd round compensatory would trump two 5th rounders, especially considering both will most likely be late in the 5th.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:They just did that without having to place the franchise tag on him.  The whole point is to franchise a player good enough so you can get the first round draft picks. 

Lol, what?  When has that happened?

Generally players are franchised because they can't come to an agreement on a contract and it gives them more time to work it out.

Quote:Yes, if a team signs him.  Nobody is going to sign him for 2 1sts.  Monroe can still be traded though and he can be traded for whatever value the teams deem to be a fair trade.

^^^^^^ this is correct

Speaking of Madden, this trade feels like something out of it.

"Man, I get some late round picks and I can totally just mess with the sliders!"

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Maybe, maybe not.  But most agree a couple late rounders isn't good value for Monroe.  Wait and see seems like a good approach.  Or, you know, just resign the man.  Absolute worst case scenario is that you have Monroe for 1.5 more years and he walks and you get a 4th rounder as a compensatory pick instead of a 4th and a 5th (If that's even what we got).

Wouldn't you rather have the 4th and the 5th?

Quote:Lol, what?  When has that happened?

Generally players are franchised because they can't come to an agreement on a contract and it gives them more time to work it out.

It rarely happens.  Ever.  As I mentioned earlier. 

Quote:^^^^^^ this is correct

It's only correct if the other team agrees to make that trade.  All in all, you were probably going to get the exact same thing if Monroe was tagged or not tagged. 

Quote:Not necessarily. Two mid round picks could be two 5th rounders, two fourth rounders, two 3rd roundes or any combination of those. You think most will agree that two 3rd rounders would trump one 3rd round compensatory but on the contrary one 3rd round compensatory would trump two 5th rounders, especially considering both will most likely be late in the 5th.
It is basic math: 2 < 1. That is what makes a trade better than a CP. Your point would make sense if we were just talking about getting one pick from the Ravens.

Quote:Wouldn't you rather have the 4th and the 5th?

I'd rather gamble a 5th round pick that I can either get a better deal than that or re-sign Monroe within the next 1.5 years.

Settling for an extra 5th round pick for a good, young LT just reeks of panic. 

Quote:It's only correct if the other team agrees to make that trade.  All in all, you were probably going to get the exact same thing if Monroe was tagged or not tagged. 

If you keep saying this, it won't eventually make it correct....

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. I think the Jags could have got more than the crumbs that Baltimore gave us for Monroe had they waited, or franchised him - had it come to that. 

Quote:I'd rather gamble a 5th round pick that I can either get a better deal than that or re-sign Monroe within the next 1.5 years.

Settling for an extra 5th round pick for a good, young LT just reeks of panic. 

Yep, agreed. 

Quote:It rarely happens.  Ever.  As I mentioned earlier. 

Then, if players get franchised all the time, and none of them have ever fetched 2 first rounders, how is the point of franchising a player to get a team to give you 2 first rounders?

Quote:If you keep saying this, it won't eventually make it correct....

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. I think the Jags could have got more than the crumbs that Baltimore gave us for Monroe had they waited, or franchised him - had it come to that. 

How would they have gotten more if they would have franchised him? 

This trade wouldn't even put us in reaching distance of the overall pick if we failed to get it. The Browns still have more ammo (and apparently a more savvy GM) to move in front of us if needed.