Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:Then, if players get franchised all the time, and none of them have ever fetched 2 first rounders, how is the point of franchising a player to get a team to give you 2 first rounders?

Would a team not want to take two first round picks?  I think they would.  I am sure when a team has a player that has been tagged they are trying to get a sucker to come in and give up two first rounders for him.  It only makes sense to me.  Teams rarely do it though, because they aren't dumb. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:This trade wouldn't even put us in reaching distance of the overall pick if we failed to get it. The Browns still have more ammo (and apparently a more savvy GM) to move in front of us if needed.

The St. Louis Rams also probably will have more ammo than the Jaguars to get the 1st pick,  if the Jaguars fail to get the 1st pick based on record.     Of course,  it remains to be seen if the Rams would even want to trade for the 1st pick.   

Quote:Would a team not want to take two first round picks?  I think they would.  I am sure when a team has a player that has been tagged they are trying to get a sucker to come in and give up two first rounders for him.  It only makes sense to me.  Teams rarely do it though, because they aren't dumb. 

You're funny.

Just accept as fact that teams franchise players to work a contract extension or a trade and not with the intention of suckering a team to sign him.  It'll make life easier.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:25 AM by trunt87.)

Quote:You're funny.

Just accept as fact that teams franchise players to work a contract extension or a trade and not with the intention of suckering a team to sign him.  It'll make life easier.

Ok your a team and you have a player coming into his last season with the team.  You say lets franchise him and see if we can get the two first round picks, and if not it will give us time to either trade him or sign him to a long term deal. 

In the website I posted it said the transitional tag is hardly ever used because teams can negotiate and if they sign the player the other team gets no compensation. 

If they negotiate and sign under the non exclusive rules and sign him they have to give up two first round picks.  If you were a GM would you not want to try and do that?  But there is absolutely no guarantee that is going to happen.

Quote:This trade wouldn't even put us in reaching distance of the overall pick if we failed to get it. The Browns still have more ammo (and apparently a more savvy GM) to move in front of us if needed.

Without Monroe, I don't see us winning a single game.  The Browns have already won two.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Ok your a team and you have a player coming into his last season with the team.  You say lets franchise him and see if we can get the two first round picks, and if not it will give us time to either trade him or sign him to a long term deal. 

In the website I posted it said the transitional tag is hardly ever used because teams can negotiate and if they sign the player the other team gets no compensation. 

If they negotiate and sign under the non exclusive rules and sign him they have to give up two first round picks.  If you were a GM would you not want to try and do that?  But there is absolutely no guarantee that is going to happen.

When a team franchises a player they don't say, "Let's see if we can get two first round picks."  Its a foregone conclusion they won't.  The sole purpose is to re-sign a player or trade him.

The transition tag essentially means that a team lets the player become a free agent, but they have the option to match his best offer.  It isn't used because if a team likes their own player enough to match his highest offer, he would have probably already been signed.  It also opens yourself up for teams driving up the price on you if you really like the player.

Quote:When a team franchises a player they don't say, "Let's see if we can get two first round picks."  Its a foregone conclusion they won't.  The sole purpose is to re-sign a player or trade him.

The transition tag essentially means that a team lets the player become a free agent, but they have the option to match his best offer.  It isn't used because if a team likes their own player enough to match his highest offer, he would have probably already been signed.  It also opens yourself up for teams driving up the price on you if you really like the player.

No it isn't used because if a team signs that player they get nothing in return. 

Transition Tag

The transition tag is not popular with NFL teams, even though it's the cheapest of the three. 

Using this designation allows other teams to negotiate with a player, and the team that uses the tag can match any offer he receives. Should the team opt not to match any offer, though, there is absolutely no compensation in return, which is why this option isn't used.

Quote:Without Monroe, I don't see us winning a single game.  The Browns have already won two.

Yet,  even if the Browns finish with 5 to 7 wins this season,   they have multiple picks for the 2014 Draft.    If the Browns are willing to include high draft resources beyond 2014 in a trade,    I think they will have enough ammo to get into the 1st spot of the 2014 Draft if the team with that pick is willing to trade the pick.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:45 AM by FreeAgent01.)

Quote:No it isn't used because if a team signs that player they get nothing in return. 

Transition Tag

The transition tag is not popular with NFL teams, even though it's the cheapest of the three. 

Using this designation allows other teams to negotiate with a player, and the team that uses the tag can match any offer he receives. Should the team opt not to match any offer, though, there is absolutely no compensation in return, which is why this option isn't used.

Listen, the non-exclusive tag has the 2 first round picks built into it as a failsafe.  It's designed to make sure its too prohibitive for another team to sign the player away from you.

The transition tag removes the failsafe.  This means 2 things for the team using the tag.

1.) It will have to match the league's best offer to their player.

2.) It takes away any ability to trade their franchised player.

It's not the lack of compensation since there was never any intent to get compensated via franchise tag unless a trade is made. It's the lack of a failsafe to prevent other teams from signing your player.  It's the lack of being able to trade your player.  It's the lack of being able to sign your player for a fair deal.

Quote:Yet, even if the Browns finish with 5 to 7 wins this season, they have multiple picks for the 2014 Draft. If the Browns are willing to include high draft resources beyond 2014 in a trade, I think they will have enough ammo to get into the 1st spot of the 2014 Draft if the team with that pick is willing to trade the pick.

^ This
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Yet,  even if the Browns finish with 5 to 7 wins this season,   they have multiple picks for the 2014 Draft.    If the Browns are willing to include high draft resources beyond 2014 in a trade,    I think they will have enough ammo to get into the 1st spot of the 2014 Draft if the team with that pick is willing to trade the pick.

Maybe.

A lot remains to be seen.

If the Jags have the #2 spot and the #1 team wants Clowney, then it would cost the Browns probably more than they're willing to part with to jump us.

However if the Jags picked 5th, then we'd most likely be SOL.

Quote:Yet,  even if the Browns finish with 5 to 7 wins this season,   they have multiple picks for the 2014 Draft.    If the Browns are willing to include high draft resources beyond 2014 in a trade,    I think they will have enough ammo to get into the 1st spot of the 2014 Draft if the team with that pick is willing to trade the pick.

At 0-16 chances are that team will be us.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Wait, people think this team is going to win a single game this season? This is an 0-16 team and is almost a lock for the #1 pick. All of these hypothetical situations of us not having the #1 pick are hilarious.

Quote:Maybe.

A lot remains to be seen.

If the Jags have the #2 spot and the #1 team wants Clowney, then it would cost the Browns probably more than they're willing to part with to jump us.

However if the Jags picked 5th, then we'd most likely be SOL.

Because the Browns have a foundation of quality young players in the Front Seven of their Defense,  they also might be willing to trade one or more of those players if they believe that Teddy Bridgewater is vital to their long term plans.      While it remains to be seen how determined they are to get up to the pick # 1 spot,   the Browns have a multitude of chips that they can use to tempt the team with pick # 1 to trade the pick to them.

Quote:At 0-16 chances are that team will be us.

One thing that I am confident about is there won't be more than one team with an 0-16 record this season.    Believe me,  from the experience of going through an 0-16 season as a fan,   it's very difficult to lose EVERY game.   A perfect storm is necessary.    It's doubtful it will happen to 2 or more teams in a season.

If the Jaguars finish 0-16,   they have practically nothing to worry about regarding securing the # 1 pick.    The concerns then would be whether the underclassmen that can declare for the draft will declare for the draft???

If there were better offers for Monroe, Caldwell would have accepted them.

Franchising him would do nothing but delay the process one year. We wouldnt get a better deal. Yes, it would buy more time to get a deal done, but for whatever reason Caldwell doesnt see Monroe in his future plans. That may be due to Monroe, may not be. But either way franchising him is just wasting time.

That whole mumbo about needing a RT may be one of the best bluffs I've seen by a GM. He fooled everyone. Bravo

The team needs more rebuilding then we seem to think... if we want to even consider being good in the next couple years we need to find some way of getting more picks. Right now, we have the worst offense in the league by far so getting rid of an OL does just that. I just wish we dished MJD while he was worth something.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:That whole mumbo about needing a RT may be one of the best bluffs I've seen by a GM. He fooled everyone. Bravo

I smelled the bluff during the off season. The Jags don't want to have to pay anyone so they'll draft your replacement after your contract is up. I don't expect them to resign any of the impeding free agents this year. We may not become competitive again for another 4 years, not counting this year.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:The team needs more rebuilding then we seem to think... if we want to even consider being good in the next couple years we need to find some way of getting more picks. Right now, we have the worst offense in the league by far so getting rid of an OL does just that. I just wish we dished MJD while he was worth something.

So getting rid of one of the handful of players worth actually keeping for some middling picks is an improvement?