Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

(03-16-2021, 11:35 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 11:05 PM)jakla86 Wrote: Christ dude all you do is whine.  You must be a blast at parties.

I wouldn't have whined if they spent a measly 2 million more to get the much better player instead of settling for Griffin because they wanted a guy with the Seattle familiarity.

The better question is why are you satisfied with much worse for essentially the same money?

What familiarity is it exactly that you are speculating about? 

What is the "familiar" link between Seattle's coverage philosophy and our current (unknown) system?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Trent Williams re-signed with the 49ers and got paid if I interpret his IG Story correctly...

So what we thinking for day 3? Everett seems like a must, unless we trade for Ertz. Wouldn’t be surprised to see another starting safety. I think that will be it though.

Golladay and Hudson still there.

Id rather see Tackle and Safety, I dont think there are any TEs left that would be real Quality and i dont want to overpay Everett or give him a long contract. Worst comes to worst we get a guy like Eifert back on a minimum deal for a year and address the position next season is my feeling.
Golladay will be too expensive and i think are WRs Corp is fine, we can add a few guys in the Draft. UDFA for our RB 2-3 is okay too, plenty of speedy guys available always. For me we need Oline and Safety

(03-16-2021, 05:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 05:49 PM)NH3 Wrote: Some are simply Pessimistic.

NH3...

Has there been much basis for optimism the last two decades?

Perhaps not but expecting to remake an entire roster in two or three days is just not realistic. In any case, I've always maintained that free agency is fool's gold. Once in a blue moon do you manage to land a Calais Campbell. In most other cases, you're overpaying for somebody else's castoffs. Free agency does serve a purpose which is backfilling some spots with some potentially better (and in some cases younger) talent.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Holy moly that Trent Williams deal is huge. No way we should have paid that at his age.

I don’t think we’re going to bring in a OT after franchising Cam

Y’all wish we got Trent for that money? Looks like franchising Cam was the right move.

(03-17-2021, 06:36 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: Y’all wish we got Trent for that money? Looks like franchising Cam was the right move.

Exactly. I just posted about overpaying players in free agency. Likely, we would have had to top even that contract to get him to move. He might have been the best tackle available but he's arguably not even a top 10 guy in terms of OTs. Good gravy.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-17-2021, 06:36 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: Y’all wish we got Trent for that money? Looks like franchising Cam was the right move.

Bingo..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

These damn Jags in the front office act like they know more than some of these message board heroes around here..

Blasphemy!!!
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

As someone who has been dying to get Trent Williams, I can honestly say no. I would not have signed him to a contract like that. I have no opposition to the guaranteed money, but the length of the deal is ludicrous. Williams is 32 years old and this is a 6 year deal. Not every OT is Andrew Whitworth and can play to a high level into their late 30's. This is a huge risk for the Niners. Unless those last 3 years are voidable without much dead money being added to the team's cap, I definitely wouldn't have done this. I was all for making Williams the highest paid OT in NFL history, but I would have maxed out on a 4 year front loaded deal with the final year being voidable. I can't believe any team in their right mind would have made such a deal. If Williams was 25 or 26 years old, I would have no problem with such a deal, because he is one of the best players at his position. At 32 years old though, I'll take a pass. 

With that said, I still hate franchising Cam. No one can convince me that making a below average OT one of the highest paid players at his position is a good idea, even on a 1 year deal. I don't want below average players protecting our long term investment at QB. We've waited for the last 20 years to get a franchise QB, so let's protect him with at least, average players. With Williams off the market, I'd turn my attention to Riley Reiff. He'd be a huge upgrade over either of our OT's. He's certainly no Trent Williams, but he is a very good starting OT with the flexibility to play either OT position. I'd also look at RT Dennis Kelly if the money is right. He'd be a very significant upgrade at RT over Taylor. If that cannot be done, I package picks #25 and #33 to move as high as I can in the draft to take one of the top 3 OT's (Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw.) I'll even include Taylor in the deal if I have to. All three rookies show much better footwork and quickness than either one of our current OT's. 

I'm not asking to build Rome in a day, but we have both starting OT's who are below average. Can we just find a replacement for one? That would make most of the fans feel a lot better.

I wonder if we do anything at OLB where we are pretty thin.
I haven't heard him signing anywhere but I could have missed it but I would welcome Kerrigan on a short tearm deal. Reliable, veteran presence, fits the scheme and can still produce on limited snaps.

Williams was pretty clear that he wanted to stay put, and was treating free agency as a way of determining his value. We wouldn't have got him for that money - we'd have had to pay substantially more. But yeah, let's keep crying about not cutting Cam and signing Trent Williams for whatever it took on day one of free agency.

The Williams deal is insane, especially at 32. I’m okay with that. All the overreaction for not spending to the ceiling on guys is nuts. It’s never worked for us in the past. This has basically left us in a place to draft BAP. Half the roster will be turned over. Are these the right moves? None of us actually know. The other caveat is there will likely be a number of starters released today for teams to try to get under the cap. I’d rather have the money for that and the ammunition to go up and get Kyle Pitts rather than spending 50 million on a solid tight end that isn’t great in Henry or Smith. The tackle spots and LB depth are the biggest concerns at this point, for me. This awful roster can’t be rebuilt in 2 days. We suck until maybe one day we don’t. Might as well see what this regime puts together, the whining and [BLEEP] means nothing.

(03-17-2021, 05:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...38816?s=19

A massive deal, even if you think the back half is "funny money."

During the Chris Collinsworth podcast, Williams was saying he thought he could play until he's 40.

If he plays out this entire deal, it could get him there.

Baalke said the team would emphasize value in free agency and that he wouldn't overpay. 

Apparently he thought $29.1 million a year over 6 years for a 32/33 year old T was too rich for the team's blood.

I was pushing for the team to sign him, but that tag was much higher than I anticipated and from what I recall from the OLine Matters posts, it was higher than what he anticipated too.

I doubt that Reiff could command that much, but I can't imagine he'll come at any discount, either.

I guess the hope now is that Meyer's trashing of the LT class extended only to free agency, and that the team is prepared to trade up if needed to get a good T or two in the draft.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 07:54 AM by The Real Marty.)

So, it seems like after 2 days, as far as starters go, we've shored up the defensive line and secondary.   And we've added a veteran WR.  

It seems like we're taking the more traditional approach to free agency, and that is, using free agency to patch holes, so we can use the draft for more long term talent.

I think, with Cam on a 1-year deal, and us having 11 draft picks, I would bet the farm that we draft at least one developmental T who, after a year in the league, and an offseason in an NFL training program, has a chance to take over from Cam next year.  That's what I would expect.  I don't think we will be drafting anyone who can start this season at LT.

I’m pretty happy with what we’ve done in FA to be honest. It’s only the TE that worries me, but we’ve not had one in forever anyway.

I’m less worried about the OT situation than most. I’m expecting Taylor to play better, and hopefully Cam won’t look as bad with a better QB. We’ll probably draft a OT in the first round next year

(03-17-2021, 07:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

As someone who has been dying to get Trent Williams, I can honestly say no. I would not have signed him to a contract like that. I have no opposition to the guaranteed money, but the length of the deal is ludicrous. Williams is 32 years old and this is a 6 year deal. Not every OT is Andrew Whitworth and can play to a high level into their late 30's. This is a huge risk for the Niners. Unless those last 3 years are voidable without much dead money being added to the team's cap, I definitely wouldn't have done this. I was all for making Williams the highest paid OT in NFL history, but I would have maxed out on a 4 year front loaded deal with the final year being voidable. I can't believe any team in their right mind would have made such a deal. If Williams was 25 or 26 years old, I would have no problem with such a deal, because he is one of the best players at his position. At 32 years old though, I'll take a pass. 

Why front loaded?  What's the advantage in that?