Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

(03-17-2021, 09:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 09:27 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Have we totally given up on Jawaan Taylor?

I have. If anything, he's gotten significantly worse.

That's a real shame. I remember thinking we got a steal when we drafted him in the second round.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wow what a contract. Yea he will only see the first 3 years of it or so, the main liability is the 55 mill guarantee. After the last 2 years where 36 and 49 million of our cap has been consumed by dead money, I have been happy the Jags have been staying with primarily 2 year deals. (There are a few longer) Let's face it while we could get lucky with one or two, most anyone we pick up will be targeted to be replaced in the coming years with draft picks. They are going to build this team through the draft. Here's hoping they draft well ..Wink
A new broom always sweeps clean.

What kind of contract yall think Hassan Reddick is looking for? Would be a great addition

The contract that Trent Williams signed is the exact kind of contract our GMs would have gladly made - breaking the bank for an older player with a history of injuries. Waaay too much risk for my blood. That's why I prefer to tread cautiously in free agency.

(03-17-2021, 08:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 08:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Day 2 Grades

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-f...up-losers/

Winners: Jacksonville Jaguars

First-year head coach Urban Meyer has begun to shape his roster down in Jacksonville. To start things off on Tuesday, the Jaguars agreed to terms on a three-year, $40 million deal with former Seattle Seahawks cornerback Shaquill Griffin. Despite missing four regular-season games in 2020, Griffin recorded a career-high three interceptions, 12 pass deflections and 63 combined tackles. The Seahawks passed on utilizing the franchise tag on him, and now have paid the price.

Hours later, the Jags made a bigger splash by snagging former Detroit Lions wide receiver Marvin Jones -- reportedly giving him a two-year deal worth $14.5 million. While he just turned 31, Jones caught a career-high 76 passes for 978 yards and nine touchdowns in 2020. He's also the only player in the NFL who has caught at least nine touchdown passes in each of the last two seasons.

To cap things off, the Jaguars traded with the New Orleans Saints for defensive lineman Malcolm Brown, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, who was set to be released as a cap casualty. The defensive tackle had been a consistent presence on New Orleans' defensive line, and should play a role in stuffing the run with Jacksonville immediately.

I haven't seen a more universally lauded free agency move this year than our signing of Marvin Jones.

The combination of Marvin Jones having a strong latter part of the 2020 season-even with Kenny Golladay out-, Marvin being a great fit for Trevor Lawrence,  recently playing under Darrell Bevell, the overall intangibles Marvin brings to the table, and the contract terms, all make him a very good addition for the Jaguars.  

Bob Quinn made far too many mistakes during his time as Lions GM. But his first UFA signing, Marvin Jones to a 5 year contract, was his best. Like I mentioned here in the Jaguars Forum a few weeks ago, Marvin Jones is an exception, not a norm, of a FA signing a long contract with another team and never having to take a pay cut to remain with the team the entire length of the contract.

(03-17-2021, 11:00 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: The contract that Trent Williams signed is the exact kind of contract our GMs would have gladly made - breaking the bank for an older player with a history of injuries. Waaay too much risk for my blood.  That's why I prefer to tread cautiously in free agency.

I agree, my biggest fear was we would repeat history with big risky splash signings. Sure this gets lauded by all the talking heads whether on TV or blogging that have nothing to lose. Let's face it if those guys had their job on the line they may behave differently. We will be drafting a QB that will not hit his stride for 2 to 3 years at which time these high priced guys will be on their way out or not worth the money being paid leaving us with tons of dead money. I guess I am tired of winning the free agent super bowl and not winning games that count. So the current regime gets kudos from me for not taking the easy way out.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-17-2021, 05:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...38816?s=19

Unless someone can document otherwise, Trent Williams received the most guaranteed money of any non QB who will be at least 33 years old for his first game under the new contract.  

The 49ers organization already felt the necessity to trade DT DeForest Buckner because of the NFL Salary Cap and they don't have an above average QB on the roster.  Unless the 49ers are able to get a QB on a rookie contract who pans out,  they likely will regret their Trent Williams contract decision.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 11:37 AM by Mikey.)

(03-17-2021, 06:25 AM)Ordar Wrote: Holy moly that Trent Williams deal is huge. No way we should have paid that at his age.

I don’t think we’re going to bring in a OT after franchising Cam

A lot of it hinges on how far into the future the guarantees extend. Only 55 guaranteed, and if that expires in two years, it's no different than most of the proposed deals folks here were thinking would make it work. He ain't going to see all 130 mill of that deal, and only 20M roughly dead money in two years.

It's not crippling of a cap in and of itself, but if he gets hurt and can't return to form, that will hurt for multiple years.

(03-17-2021, 07:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 06:36 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: Y’all wish we got Trent for that money? Looks like franchising Cam was the right move.

As someone who has been dying to get Trent Williams, I can honestly say no. I would not have signed him to a contract like that. I have no opposition to the guaranteed money, but the length of the deal is ludicrous. Williams is 32 years old and this is a 6 year deal. Not every OT is Andrew Whitworth and can play to a high level into their late 30's. This is a huge risk for the Niners. Unless those last 3 years are voidable without much dead money being added to the team's cap, I definitely wouldn't have done this. I was all for making Williams the highest paid OT in NFL history, but I would have maxed out on a 4 year front loaded deal with the final year being voidable. I can't believe any team in their right mind would have made such a deal. If Williams was 25 or 26 years old, I would have no problem with such a deal, because he is one of the best players at his position. At 32 years old though, I'll take a pass. 

With that said, I still hate franchising Cam. No one can convince me that making a below average OT one of the highest paid players at his position is a good idea, even on a 1 year deal. I don't want below average players protecting our long term investment at QB. We've waited for the last 20 years to get a franchise QB, so let's protect him with at least, average players. With Williams off the market, I'd turn my attention to Riley Reiff. He'd be a huge upgrade over either of our OT's. He's certainly no Trent Williams, but he is a very good starting OT with the flexibility to play either OT position. I'd also look at RT Dennis Kelly if the money is right. He'd be a very significant upgrade at RT over Taylor. If that cannot be done, I package picks #25 and #33 to move as high as I can in the draft to take one of the top 3 OT's (Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw.) I'll even include Taylor in the deal if I have to. All three rookies show much better footwork and quickness than either one of our current OT's. 

I'm not asking to build Rome in a day, but we have both starting OT's who are below average. Can we just find a replacement for one? That would make most of the fans feel a lot better.

They only paid a $30M bonus, so the 6 year deal is doing little more than spreading that hit over multiple seasons. I am certain the niners will end up moving on before the deal ends and taking a meager dead money hit after 2-3 seasons. If that deal had closer to $100M guaranteed, laughing at their FO would be a whole lot easier.

(03-17-2021, 07:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1372...61473?s=19

A common theme with the Jaguars trading for DT Malcolm Brown and the Lions trading for Michael Brockers ( other than both Malcolm Brown and Michael Brockers being interior Defensive Lineman) ,is the sizable salary cap savings for the Saints and the LA Rams, as a result of the respective trades.

(03-17-2021, 11:43 AM)D6 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 07:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1372...61473?s=19

A common theme with the Jaguars trading for DT Malcolm Brown and the Lions trading for Michael Brockers ( other than both Malcolm Brown and Michael Brockers being interior Defensive Lineman) ,is the sizable salary cap savings for the Saints and the LA Rams, as a result of the respective trades.
Yep, 2 good lineman they couldn't afford to keep

(03-17-2021, 11:33 AM)D6 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 05:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...38816?s=19

Unless someone can document otherwise, Trent Williams received the most guaranteed money of any non QB who will be at least 33 years old for his first game under the new contract.  

The 49ers organization already felt the necessity to trade DT DeForest Buckner because of the NFL Salary Cap and they don't have an above average QB on the roster.  Unless the 49ers are able to get a QB on a rookie contract who pans out,  they likely will regret their Trent Williams contract decision.

That's what is weird in all this imo.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

How many DLineman do 3-4 teams usually keep on the final man roster? Assuming the outside pass rushers (allen, chaisson) wouldnt be included. We just added 4 dlineman and I'm assuming Smoot, Hamilton, and Costin are a lock to return. That is already 7.

(03-17-2021, 11:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 11:43 AM)D6 Wrote: A common theme with the Jaguars trading for DT Malcolm Brown and the Lions trading for Michael Brockers ( other than both Malcolm Brown and Michael Brockers being interior Defensive Lineman) ,is the sizable salary cap savings for the Saints and the LA Rams, as a result of the respective trades.
Yep, 2 good lineman they couldn't afford to keep

Because Michael Brockers is already 30, I think he's a 1 to 2 year bridge for the Lions.

With Malcolm Brown being a few years younger,  the expectation by the Jaguars brass easily could be Brown signing another contract with them. With Brown being an important piece on Jaguars teams with realistic Super Bowl aspirations.

(03-17-2021, 08:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 08:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Because we have the money to spend right now. I hate back loaded deals, because you never know what they future may bring. If Trevor is as good as advertised, he's gonna want a Dak Prescott type deal in 4 years. I don't want a lot of back loaded contracts on good players where the bulk of their money is gonna have to be paid the same time I gotta pay the QB. That creates cap issues. Baalke back loaded a bunch of contracts in San Francisco and put them in cap hell.

All back loading does is pull cap space forward into the current year.  It only hurts you if you fill up your cap and fail to carry over any excess cap space.  Otherwise, it's a wash.  You have a lot more flexibility if you back load contracts.  

For example, a 4 year $50 million dollar contract that is back loaded has the same cap hit over 4 years as it does if it is front loaded.

I disagree with this statement. Assuming both deals have the same amount of signing bonus, the only difference is how the remaining salary is spread over the deal. So, if the signing bonus was 20M, 5M per year in proration counts against each year's cap.

In a front-loaded deal, the salary would be likely to split roughly 10/8/7/5 , and back loaded 2/7/9/12. Front-loading is ideal for the team if they plan to keep the player all four years (as they age they get more affordable), or for the player if they do not believe they will play out the deal (get paid early!). Back loading is perfect for a team that plans to "rent" the player for a few years or one that needs to rely on future caps to make the deal affordable. The cap hits are very close in the middle of the deal, but year one (15M vs. 7M) and year four (7M vs. 17M) are where they differ.

You're right that over the span of four years the VALUE of the deal doesn't change, but the cap hit varies greatly based on how you structure. A lot of times how the deal is structured is also going to dictate whether you keep a guy around or move on from them.

(03-17-2021, 12:02 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 11:33 AM)D6 Wrote: Unless someone can document otherwise, Trent Williams received the most guaranteed money of any non QB who will be at least 33 years old for his first game under the new contract.  

That's what is weird in all this imo.

Right now, I think it's fair to say that the 49ers have the worst QB situation in the NFC West.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 12:19 PM by Mikey.)

(03-17-2021, 09:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 08:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's what Baalke failed to do in San Francisco and a contributing factor why he was fired. Depending on how this contract is structured, front loading avoids this altogether when you have an incompetent GM. Say you have a ton of cap space. You offer a guy 5 years $80 million contract. You give them $25 million the first year, $23 million the 2nd year, $18 million the 3rd year, $9 million the 4th year and $5 million the final year the cap numbers are easier to swallow. You never know what the future holds. Spend the money when you have it and save for the future. 

I'm all for carrying over some cap space for the future, but if you carry over too much, you're not getting good players. You're basically getting bargain basement players.

But any garden variety accountant can project the cap hit from these contracts.   It's really easy.   It's like when Coughlin got us into cap hell and took all the blame.  It wasn't just Coughlin.  It was Weaver and Michael Huygue and everyone else who said, okay, let's roll the dice, go for it, and worry about the consequences later.  TC gets to be the scapegoat, just like Baalke, because I am 100% certain that the ownership in San Fran knew what was going to happen.  

Besides, in your scenario, your player is going to quit after year 3 and demand a new contract.  So what you've done is instead of giving the guy a 5 year $80 million contract, he's taken a 3 year $66 million contract and now you have a disgruntled player who is refusing to play.

Bingo!

That is the peril of front-loading, especially if you are too aggressive with regard to the final years on the deal. After 3 seasons, a lot of guys forget that giant wad of cash you dropped in their lap to sign a contract.

(03-17-2021, 09:27 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Have we totally given up on Jawaan Taylor?

I see him as a reserve that got thrust into a starting position because of where he was drafted. Serviceable, but not a guy I want to rely on for the duration of my season.

I don't see him as the turnstile that guys like Guy Whimper were, but we can certainly improve the position with other players in the draft or FA.

(03-17-2021, 12:06 PM)rfc17 Wrote: How many DLineman do 3-4 teams usually keep on the final man roster?  Assuming the outside pass rushers (allen, chaisson) wouldnt be included.  We just added 4 dlineman and I'm assuming Smoot, Hamilton, and Costin are a lock to return. That is already 7.

The range seems like 5 or 6. So much depends on the amount of D-Line versatility each Defensive Lineman and OLB has.

(03-17-2021, 09:35 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 07:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote: A massive deal, even if you think the back half is "funny money."
This contract is definitely higher and longer than I expected and would have looked elsewhere.  However, I am interested to see how it is structured.  I'm guessing the second half of this contract is complete bs and so called "funny money".  By making it 6 years instead of 3 years, SF cuts the cap hit of the pro-rated signing bonus in half for this year.  They could give Williams a $100 million salary in year 6 and it wouldn't make a bit of difference because he's never going to see that money anyway.

^-- this guy gets it!

I would have expected the deal to be the inverse, 55M bonus with another 30 in guarantees, considering how everyone was clamoring about "Trent or bust" approach to FA. Age played a factor, but I think he absolutely gave the team a friendly deal as well.

Still a lot of cap space left

https://twitter.com/PFF_Jaguars/status/1...08837?s=19

I was looking at lists of the top free agents still available.  There's quite a few wide receivers out there.  I don't see us signing one.  We have our three in Chark, Jones and Shenault, with Johnson and Dorsett as fourth/fifth receivers plus Agnew who I think is here almost exclusively to return kicks/punts.  I also see a lot of cornerbacks.  However, I don't see us signing another big one.  There's some centers and guards, but again, I don't see us taking one.  I don't think we upgrade Cann.  I think Meyer wants continuity on the line and it also gives another year to see if Bartch can develop.

So where does that leave us?  Anthony Harris is very high on most lists.  I think we need a free safety.  Jenkins can play strong safety.  In my mind, it would free up another early draft pick to go BAP.

I think we need to do something at tight end.  I would look at trade possibilities with Ertz.  If not, most consider Everett the top tight end available.  If not thing else, we need a stop gap.  Eifert is still available.  I can't imaging we go into next season with the existing roster. The top three players we have at tight end have a combined 15 career receptions. Again, that's not last year.  That's in their career and that's combined.  I don't like relying on the draft.  Kyle Pitts is out of range.  The only other tight end that is consistently projected in the first two rounds is Pat Freiermuth.  What if someone else takes him?  Keep in mind that if teams know we are desperate at tight end, some team might trade to the spot ahead of us to get him.  Even if we do get him, rookies often take time to develop.  We need to sign someone else.

I would go after Riley Reiff but I don't think Meyer/Baalke will.  I think they do like what we have at offensive tackle for reasons that are beyond me.

Maybe some good players will be cut today to get under the salary cap.  If not, I think we're looking at depth or rotational type players after the above.