Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

Isn't the vaccine free of charge to everyone in the country? 

Not sure why all you guys are having to jump through hoops.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-24-2021, 02:16 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Isn't the vaccine free of charge to everyone in the country? 

It's not a free service for the providers. They have to get paid for doing it and when government is paying that means paperwork.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Hell, the longest part of my experience was waiting the 15 minutes afterwards to see if I had any reaction.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-24-2021, 07:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 02:16 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Isn't the vaccine free of charge to everyone in the country? 

It's not a free service for the providers. They have to get paid for doing it and when government is paying that means paperwork.

They took down my name and maybe my DL number. What paperwork should you need besides your identity?

Why would you need a military ID vs regular ID if the government is already paying either way? Seems unnecessary.

(03-24-2021, 01:15 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 07:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's not a free service for the providers. They have to get paid for doing it and when government is paying that means paperwork.

They took down my name and maybe my DL number. What paperwork should you need besides your identity?

Why would you need a military ID vs regular ID if the government is already paying either way? Seems unnecessary.

Pharmacies, and other private entities, provide vaccination services under contract from the government. The vaccine is free but the service is not. It runs anywhere between $18 to $25 per shot, according to the interwebs. So health insurance picks up that cost. Since I’m retired military my healthcare falls under a program called Tricare, which is government-funded insurance  until I turn 65. Then it goes to Medicare.

So, when people show up to get vaccinated at these private service providers they must show a healthcare or pharmacy card in order for the vaccination provider to bill for the cost of the service. Unlike typical private  health insurance which provides a health card with a beneficiary number, in Tricare, the retired military ID is the insurance health card. 

The problem lies in that some places don’t typically bill Tricare so they don’t know how to deal with it. Thus, a 90 minute runaround to completely piss me off. Had they just explained their conundrum rather than have me stand around, I would have happily accepted it and moved on.

(03-24-2021, 01:43 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 01:15 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: They took down my name and maybe my DL number. What paperwork should you need besides your identity?

Pharmacies, and other private entities, provide vaccination services under contract from the government. The vaccine is free but the service is not. It runs anywhere between $18 to $25 per shot, according to the interwebs. So health insurance picks up that cost. Since I’m retired military my healthcare falls under a program called Tricare, which is government-funded insurance  until I turn 65. Then it goes to Medicare.

So, when people show up to get vaccinated at these private service providers they must show a healthcare or pharmacy card in order for the vaccination provider to bill for the cost of the service. Unlike typical private  health insurance which provides a health card with a beneficiary number, in Tricare, the retired military ID is the insurance health card. 

The problem lies in that some places don’t typically bill Tricare so they don’t know how to deal with it. Thus, a 90 minute runaround to completely piss me off. Had they just explained their conundrum rather than have me stand around, I would have happily accepted it and moved on.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Maybe I gave my medical card and just don't remember it correctly.

(03-24-2021, 08:51 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Hell, the longest part of my experience was waiting the 15 minutes afterwards to see if I had any reaction.

If it doesn't happen during the actual event, it's not going to happen 15 minutes later.  Perhaps if you slow your pace down somewhat next time, she might have a "reaction".
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

For the most part, yes it's "free".  However, the cost of devloping and producing the vaccine isn't "free".  The labor involved for people to do the paperwork, people actually giving the injection, etc. is not "free".  It is being paid for through taxes.  Providers have to submit paperwork to the government to get paid for rendering the service whether it's from private insurance, medicaid, medicare, etc.

(03-24-2021, 08:51 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Hell, the longest part of my experience was waiting the 15 minutes afterwards to see if I had any reaction.

That was my experience both times that I got stuck.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-24-2021, 01:43 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 01:15 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: They took down my name and maybe my DL number. What paperwork should you need besides your identity?

"I don't have insurance as I'm currently unemployed." translates to "Here's your shot, the feds are picking that up for you."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I'm getting my 1st vaccine Thursday at 7:15pm in Publix.

Question: If I pay for the beer and wings ahead of time, can I eat and drink there while I wait through the mandatory 15 minute post vaccine waiting time? I think I can eat the wings but I assume there is a drinking in public (or drinking in publix lol) restriction.

(03-24-2021, 06:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm getting my 1st vaccine Thursday at 7:15pm in Publix.  

Question:  If I pay for the beer and wings ahead of time, can I eat and drink there while I wait through the mandatory 15 minute post vaccine waiting time?  I think I can eat the wings but I assume there is a drinking in public (or drinking in publix lol) restriction.

You can't have an open container at Publix.

(03-24-2021, 06:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm getting my 1st vaccine Thursday at 7:15pm in Publix.  

Question:  If I pay for the beer and wings ahead of time, can I eat and drink there while I wait through the mandatory 15 minute post vaccine waiting time?  I think I can eat the wings but I assume there is a drinking in public (or drinking in publix lol) restriction.

No problem.  You can flirt with the nurses watching over you during the waiting period and even have them bring ice to keep your beer cold.   Laughing

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-24-2021, 06:08 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

If it doesn't happen during the actual event, it's not going to happen 15 minutes later.  Perhaps if you slow your pace down somewhat next time, she might have a "reaction".

Apparently there's a joke here.  Maybe I need a roadmap to direct me to the funny part.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-24-2021, 07:45 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 06:08 PM)Sneakers Wrote: If it doesn't happen during the actual event, it's not going to happen 15 minutes later.  Perhaps if you slow your pace down somewhat next time, she might have a "reaction".

Apparently there's a joke here.  Maybe I need a roadmap to direct me to the funny part.

LOL.  I can hit this one out of the park!  Does this help?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2021, 08:03 PM by Jags.)

(03-24-2021, 06:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

You can't have an open container at Publix.

What????   When did they start that?   Geez, Winn-Dixie that’s a prerequisite.

Is anyone here choosing not to get the vaccine even when it is available to them?

I'm not.

(03-29-2021, 04:53 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Is anyone here choosing not to get the vaccine even when it is available to them?

I opted out..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(03-29-2021, 04:53 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Is anyone here choosing not to get the vaccine even when it is available to them?

At first I wasn't going to get it, but then I got to thinking...  there could be a sort of "vaccine passport" (papers please) to travel.  I also figured that I got so many shots and "vaccines" while I was in the Navy so what's one more?

I still don't wear a mask unless I absolutely have to, and I live my life normally rather than being in fear.

(03-24-2021, 05:52 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 01:43 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Pharmacies, and other private entities, provide vaccination services under contract from the government. The vaccine is free but the service is not. It runs anywhere between $18 to $25 per shot, according to the interwebs. So health insurance picks up that cost. Since I’m retired military my healthcare falls under a program called Tricare, which is government-funded insurance  until I turn 65. Then it goes to Medicare.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Maybe I gave my medical card and just don't remember it correctly.

Well, took my son for his first shot. They definitely only took his DL number. Maybe a state difference or something.