Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:Monroe is a free agent at the end of the year, whether we trade him or not.   The value of what we have traded away is Monroe for 12 games.  That's it.   So, the Ravens get Monroe for 12 games, we get multiple 3rd day draft picks.  

THINK. 

We can still sign the guy in free agency at the end of the season if we want to.
but but Caldwell is tanking on purpose to move the team to London and LA in the same offseason!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 06:57 AM by matt15f.)

Quote:Many, many fans defended the Joeckel pick citing Tony Khan/Caldwell:

"Two elite tackles are what is needed now in this league, our QB will perform better with elite bookend tackles."

Trade Monroe.

This team had its eyes set on going the cheap route the entire time. Instead of re-signing one the the leagues best LT's we draft his replacement and STILL have that same gaping hole we had at RT last year.

What a waste of a pick. Shame on those that defended it and believed the garbage that Caldwell and Tony Khan fed you.
I seem to recall a lot of fans including myself not buying into this saying it likely means Monroe is done in jax. Oesher even admitted it once basically on 1010.

Monroe has 12 games left on his contract.   He's a free agent at the end of the year. 

We can actually sign  him in free  agency at the end of the year. 

Folks, all we gave up was 12 games.   Those were 12 games we probably weren't going to win anyway. 

We picked up multiple draft picks for basically nothing. 

Quote:bradfield. lol damn we really really suck now.

We already suck.  We still suck but we have some extra draft picks. 

We can still sign Monroe at the end of the year.  Just like before. 

Quote:Many, many fans defended the Joeckel pick citing Tony Khan/Caldwell:

"Two elite tackles are what is needed now in this league, our QB will perform better with elite bookend tackles."

Trade Monroe.

This team had its eyes set on going the cheap route the entire time. Instead of re-signing one the the leagues best LT's we draft his replacement and STILL have that same gaping hole we had at RT last year.

What a waste of a pick. Shame on those that defended it and believed the garbage that Caldwell and Tony Khan fed you.

What's keeping us from re-signing  him?  

You posted this in the other thread bruh. That scenario is REALLY REALLY unlikely. Some team will give him LT money before he takes RT money to come back to JAX.

I don't think the move is brilliant, it's just a move he knew he'd make the day they took Joeckel. I've always thought the Jags might of been better off if they immediately played Joeckel at LT and moved Monroe to RT (who was better at run blocking than pass blocking), so it makes sense that they realized the same and knew he'd never come back to be a RT and be paid as such. They know Joeckel can be the better LT (due to his skill set and make up, he's a classic LT.) Might as well get a 3rd and 4th rounder for him instead of moving him to RT and slapping the franchise tag on him and getting nothing when he walks.

That's IF he wants to come back.

Quote:That's IF he wants to come back.

That was true before, and it's still true.  

Kharn, you really need to chill out and relax. You and i both knew this season was a wash from the start. I dont know what you are expecting, this is no surprise.  Noone really is on your side on this and you are just coming off looking like a fool. This season is over, finished and done. We want the first pick in the draft, and caldwell knows what it takes to win in this league. We need that franchise QB. Resigning Daryl Smith and Cox would of done nothing for us. Trading Monroe is a surprise, but hes not that good, hes good, but really wont be missed that much. You can go ahead and blame Caldwell and cry all you want, its not going to change anything, because from start, everyone was saying how his season is going to sink. 

My suggestion for you. Sit back, relax and enjoy life. You take this way to seriously and personal. Its football. Its entertainment. Not everyone wins and every team has gone through years of being bad. I think you need to take a break. Go to the beach this weekend, take the girl out, go out to a bar, play some golf, exercise. The jaguars are what we all knew this offseason. A really bad football team. Hey, if your going to watch the game, bring plenty of alcohol, make it fun. 

You really gotta stop complaining. 

As for the monroe trade, thought we could of got more, but whatever. Monroe was hot and cold. Never lived up to the 8th selection. We can draft a RT next year. Whatever, this seasons a wash. Just want Bridgewater. 

Quote:You posted this in the other thread bruh. That scenario is REALLY REALLY unlikely. Some team will give him LT money before he takes RT money to come back to JAX.

I don't think the move is brilliant, it's just a move he knew he'd make the day they took Joeckel. I've always thought the Jags might of been better off if they immediately played Joeckel at LT and moved Monroe to RT (who was better at run blocking than pass blocking), so it makes sense that they realized the same and knew he'd never come back to be a RT and be paid as such. They know Joeckel can be the better LT (due to his skill set and make up, he's a classic LT.) Might as well get a 3rd and 4th rounder for him instead of moving him to RT and slapping the franchise tag on him and getting nothing when he walks.

It's a great move because we got something for  nothing.   We traded away a 12 game contract, games we weren't going to win anyway.  And now we have some more draft picks.   We're better off doing  this than not doing this.  

At the end of the year, we either have some extra draft picks from this trade, or we don't.   Either way, we don't have  Eugene Monroe, because he's a FREE AGENT.  

Quote:It's a great move because we got something for  nothing.   We traded away a 12 game contract, games we weren't going to win anyway.  And now we have some more draft picks.   We're better off doing  this than not doing this.  

At the end of the year, we either have some extra draft picks from this trade, or we don't.   Either way, we don't have  Eugene Monroe, because he's a FREE AGENT.  
Exactly. Why would he resign here? I mean i doubt the jags would of paid him the cash, and he really was not all that good anyway. 

Quote:I posted this in the big Monroe trade thread, but its likely buried already.

Theres gonna be a lot of outrage at this deal, but I encourage those people to look at it like this:

For whatever reason, Dave was not going to resign Monroe. Its better to get something for him than letting him walk for free. His reasons for letting him walk, who knows? The point being he is not in the future plans, you could get a 5th round compensation pick next year, or multiple late round picks this year.

Now you can criticize his decision for not wanting to keep him around, and I certinley do, but we dont know how much Monroe is asking for. Monroe also could have quietley wanted out, we probably will never know.

Plus, Monroe only has 12 games left on his contract, if you are in trade talks with a team that obviously means you arent planning on keeping that player around, why would they give up premium picks to a player they know will be available at the end of this season?

At least now we are DEFINITLEY guaranteed Teddy.
The part in bold is my issue.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 07:25 AM by goatsampson.)

All I said was it wasn't a "BRILLIANT" move. If you re-read my post I pose it as a reasonable and even necessary move. Because like you guys, I recognize he wasn't ever going to be extended because they were going in a different direction at LT so you might as well get picks. I'm just not calling it brilliant LOL.

I forgot why I stopped posting here too often. People are very poor at reading comprehension here. Ugh.

Quote:Were the Jaguars some branch of the federal government that just got caught in the shutdown and nobody told me?

I figured this trade might be a possibility, even before the team took Joeckel.

If the initial reports of 3rd day picks are true, initially I didn't think we got enough for him.

But after giving it some thought I realized a few things.

1)  I have never been as high on Monroe as many have been here.  It's quite possible a superior talent evaluating GM like Newsome-to say nothing of other average GMs-didn't believe Monroe was elite-thus no elite draft compensation for him.

What someone will offer doesn't necessarily reflect the perceived value by the one making the offer. The offer often only reflects the minimum that someone is willing to take. People have made fortunes taking advantage of this disparity.

2)  We got, at the highest, a 3rd round pick for Stroud.  Stroud was far better at his position than Monroe ever was at his.  Even adjusting for positional importance, a 3rd round pick would be about the highest you could realistically hope to get for Monroe, given that his level of play at his position never approached Stroud's.

Not only did Stroud not play a premium position, but he was also older and coming off two injury plagued seasons. Not really making your case for fair compensation.

3)  As bad as it seems, Monroe was basically the only asset on the roster with any real trade value.  MJD has too much mileage, and his injury last year and poor performance this year (which may or may not be attributable to him) wouldn't get much in return.    Marcedes Lewis will likely get even less. They wouldn't trade guys like Joeckel or Cyprien when they are the first class in this GM's tenure.

Should you really be trading something unless you feel that it will bring you some sort of upgrade or increased value? Say you come across a new leather couch and your goal is to upgrade your living room by adding more furniture. So you trade the nice relatively new couch that you had as soon as someone offers you two lawn chairs. Have you upgraded or increased value in your living room? You probably should have held out for a recliner and a coffee table. That is kind of how this trade is looking.

Quote:So you let him walk for a compensatory pick. We would have received at least a 3rd rounder vs "multiple 3rd day picks".
At the most it would've been a 3rd rounder, bottom of the 3rd at that. When has anyone ever got more than a 3rd rounder?

Not a fan of the trade either, even with him being a FA at the end of the season, I though we could've at least got a 2nd day pick for him.

And now starts Eugenes trek to the HOF......smh

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM by goatsampson.)

@Predator, what if Joeckel is a better LT than Monroe? He likely won't be this year, but next year I think he very well could be. I liked him as a LT prospect (before I knew he was even going to the Jags) much more than I liked Eugene Monroe out of Virginia (who fell in the draft for legit reasons.) So you replace your relatively new couch with another newer couch, but lose your recliner (RT) for 3 months. But it's only for three months and that new couch really grows on you and you end up liking it a lot more than the other couch. Not only that, but you have more money to buy a decent recliner (RT) PLUS a spiffy coffee table ( C ) and decent TV tray (OG) the next year. But what really brings the living together is the amazing huge new HD Smart TV (QB.) So really... after a year, you have the possible better, newer, cheaper couch (LT) the same quality recliner (RT, because Joeckel has just been average to mediocre out of position at RT so far), the dope TV (QB, which would of happened anyways though regardless of this transaction), but something you didn't have... that spiffy coffee table ( C ) and solid TV tray (OG.)

:yes:

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 07:48 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

Monroe way he has played so far be a fourth. And if we got a fourth and sixth or fifth. It us better then one pick.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

This is what total meltdown looks like.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Try the ignore button. I've just found use of it for you.
Oh no. I think I may cry.
Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>