Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

We haven't had anyone like this since Cory Grant. When he was on the field his speed made the defenses nervous. Travis has the opportunity to be a huge upgrade from that and more. He will also help keep Robinson fresh as the season goes on.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-04-2021, 06:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 06:42 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: There was an interview with Meyer where he said he envisions Robinson and E10 on the field together. He even mentions the possibility of a split backfield with a two backs and motion, like a pro set from shot gun or pistol, or even under center. (Oddly enough Clemson used to run a shotgun Wing-T/Spread formation with motion back in 2011 well before T'Law.) He also talked about E10 going through WR training and meetings, so there is a decent chance he will be lined up as a WR often with possible motion depending on the defense alignment.

So honestly, we should be talking about E10 total yards and touches, not typically the Robinson role between the tackles.

The question this does bring up though is what happens with Laviska Shenault. Because that is kind of the role people envisioned for him. Though, I guess you could run a few trick plays with all 3 in the backfield and both blocking TE, a la the Single Wing or the ND Box alignments. Could really mess with smaller defensive teams built on speed.

Good points.  I would also like to remind everyone that Robinson didn't make it all the way through the season last year.  And this year we have an additional game.  And, to me, towards the end of the year, just judging from the look on his face, Robinson looked worn out.  If we ever make it to the playoffs in the next few years, it would be nice to have two fresh running backs instead of one worn out running back.

I expect everyone toward the end of that losing streak was worn out.  Something like that could really beat you down mentally as well.
If we weren't playing catch-up so much of the year, Robinson would have probably needed to carry the ball a lot more often.  Hopefully we have more carries to spread around next year and for years to come.

Lance Zierlien's 3 favorite picks by round.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-...s-by-round

(05-04-2021, 09:09 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 06:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Good points.  I would also like to remind everyone that Robinson didn't make it all the way through the season last year.  And this year we have an additional game.  And, to me, towards the end of the year, just judging from the look on his face, Robinson looked worn out.  If we ever make it to the playoffs in the next few years, it would be nice to have two fresh running backs instead of one worn out running back.

I expect everyone toward the end of that losing streak was worn out.  Something like that could really beat you down mentally as well.
If we weren't playing catch-up so much of the year, Robinson would have probably needed to carry the ball a lot more often.  Hopefully we have more carries to spread around next year and for years to come.

Especially in a COVID season with pseudo-bubbles, regulations, and testing. 

Jaguars are the 2nd team ever to win Game 1 and then lose 15 in a row. It is already a franchise record, and only 4 away from 2nd all time in modern NFL history excluding the Bucs one that will never be broken.

James Robinson is a much better Running Back than Etienne. He has the body, the vision, the strength, the balance.... all of it. Etienne just doesn't have that same lateral quickness to make nothing into something.

Can he be successful? Sure... if we had a great offense already. Which we don't. We suck.

(05-04-2021, 04:43 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: James Robinson is a much better Running Back than Etienne. He has the body, the vision, the strength, the balance.... all of it. Etienne just doesn't have that same lateral quickness to make nothing into something.

Can he be successful? Sure... if we had a great offense already. Which we don't. We suck.

No one has any idea what the offense will be like because no one knows truly what our formations, sets, roster, plays, etc. will be. 

I agree Etienne does not have elite lateral quickness, but he has shown above average vision, ability to skinny, elite acceleration to the hole, and above average balance. Having 2 guys with those traits is always better than one. 

There is nothing we can do now about how he was acquired.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 05:06 PM by The Real Marty.)

(05-04-2021, 04:43 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: James Robinson is a much better Running Back than Etienne. He has the body, the vision, the strength, the balance.... all of it. Etienne just doesn't have that same lateral quickness to make nothing into something.

I don't want to tear down James Robinson just to build up Travis Etienne.  I would just say, they are both great backs.  Etienne is more of a home run hitter, and Robinson is more of a between the tackles runner.  Etienne can make an 80 yard TD.  I don't think James Robinson can do that.  

Travis Etienne will be great.  No doubt in my mind.

One of Lance Zierlein's 3 favorite picks in the first round. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-...s-by-round

"There were three very good running backs in this draft, but I felt like Etienne was the best of the lot.  [font=All-ProSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Etienne runs with extraordinary contact balance and can play on all three downs."[/font]

Hard to believe the Jags took another one cut runner in the first.

Makes my head spin a little bit. First round RBs need a broader skill set to earn that value IMO.

I mean - if that reel was supposed to be a top 15... yikes.
Nine of them were simply highlight reels for the blocking up front. The kid has better vision to the hole than Fournette by far, and better 0-60 acceleration, but he's a one cut and go guy just like LF. Kinda' eerie.

I still think he can be effective in a tandem with JR, but I feel like I felt when I was saying LF could be effective if we doubled down on run blocking linemen.

If this regime doesn't get both backs involved I'll be incredibly disappointed.
Trying to be cautiously optimistic on this pick.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 08:46 PM by jj82284.)

wait what?

(05-04-2021, 07:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Hard to believe the Jags took another one cut runner in the first.

Makes my head spin a little bit.   First round RBs need a broader skill set to earn that value IMO.

Nine of them were simply highlight reels for the blocking up front.  The kid has better vision to the hole than Fournette by far, and better 0-60 acceleration, but he's a one cut and go guy just like LF.  Kinda' eerie.

I still think he can be effective in a tandem with JR, but I feel like I felt when I was saying LF could be effective if we doubled down on run blocking linemen.

what?  LF?  are we talking about the same player?

There are formations where teams run 3 wide no tight end and 2 tailbacks in the backfield. That could be a formation to watch!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(05-04-2021, 08:42 PM)jj82284 Wrote:

wait what?

(05-04-2021, 07:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Hard to believe the Jags took another one cut runner in the first.

Makes my head spin a little bit.   First round RBs need a broader skill set to earn that value IMO.

Nine of them were simply highlight reels for the blocking up front.  The kid has better vision to the hole than Fournette by far, and better 0-60 acceleration, but he's a one cut and go guy just like LF.  Kinda' eerie.

I'm talking about a one cut and go style that is common to two different players selected in the first round by the Jags. 

It was all over his tape and it's all over ET's tape too. I'm sure I'm nowhere near the first to point this out. It's not necessarily a bad thing, unless that's all he's got.  He was taken early enough that he should have more to offer. Maybe he does. I haven't scoured the internet for cut-ups of Etienne's play, but that top 15 plays reel posted earlier... underwhelming.

(05-04-2021, 09:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 08:42 PM)jj82284 Wrote: wait what?

I'm talking about a one cut and go style that is common to two different players selected in the first round by the Jags. 

It was all over his tape and it's all over ET's tape too. I'm sure I'm nowhere near the first to point this out. It's not necessarily a bad thing, unless that's all he's got.  He was taken early enough that he should have more to offer. Maybe he does. I haven't scoured the internet for cut-ups of Etienne's play, but that top 15 plays reel posted earlier... underwhelming.

Except LF couldn’t find a hole and ran into his linemen the majority of the time. We’ll run a zone scheme and it requires that type of runner.

(05-04-2021, 09:44 PM)Bruuval Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 09:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm talking about a one cut and go style that is common to two different players selected in the first round by the Jags. 

Except LF couldn’t find a hole and ran into his linemen the majority of the time. We’ll run a zone scheme and it requires that type of runner.

right - thus the following quote from me several posts earlier:

The kid has better vision to the hole than Fournette by far, and better 0-60 acceleration...

My point is the coincidence of the TC led draft regime overdrafting a one dimensional back and the concern that the new regime MIGHT  have done the same to a lesser degree. 
I'm not ready to prematurely call the kid grossly overdrafted -  just pointing out the red flags when I see them. 
I was right about the LF pick when it happened - and I'm praying I'm wrong to be worried about this one.

He's way more explosive than LF ever was.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Travis is gonna be dope..Glad we have him..im satisfied with what we did and I think they may have more info on these players and also know what they want so I trust they know what they're doing..

The people who hate this pick need to realize how this could turn out to be really good. Let's just assume out the gate as a rookie this guy becomes an above average starting RB. You give Lawrence a Stud in JR-30, ETN and even Carlos Hyde we're talking 3 quality RB's who if they can really produce, will take SOOO much pressure off our guy T-Law. I understand the anger over not drafting other glaring holes on the team but my opinion personally is, at that point in the draft even tho it's a RB and not a "premium" position. He was the BAP. We likely aren't going to the superbowl this year so I would much rather get an elite RB then maybe reach for an average DT like Barmore for example just because we have a "need" at the position.

(05-04-2021, 10:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 09:44 PM)Bruuval Wrote: Except LF couldn’t find a hole and ran into his linemen the majority of the time. We’ll run a zone scheme and it requires that type of runner.

right - thus the following quote from me several posts earlier:

The kid has better vision to the hole than Fournette by far, and better 0-60 acceleration...

My point is the coincidence of the TC led draft regime overdrafting a one dimensional back and the concern that the new regime MIGHT  have done the same to a lesser degree. 
I'm not ready to prematurely call the kid grossly overdrafted -  just pointing out the red flags when I see them. 
I was right about the LF pick when it happened  - and I'm praying I'm wrong to be worried about this one.

No way is Etienne one dimensional. He is probably the most versatile back in this year's draft.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

People are so short sighted. They went with best available player and he was on their board. Just because we have James Robinson does not mean tailback should be eliminated. Robinson missed some time with injury. Do you want to have a rushing attack where Hyde is the starter if Robinson misses time? At the very very little, ETN is an insurance policy.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(05-05-2021, 11:28 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: People are so short sighted.  They went with best available player and he was on their board.  Just because we have James Robinson does not mean tailback should be eliminated.   Robinson missed some time with injury.  Do you want to have a rushing attack where Hyde is the starter if Robinson misses time?  At the very very little, ETN is an insurance policy.

People don't have a problem with Etienne, it's how high he was drafted. We had an every down RB in Robinson who was/is good. We needed a 3rd down, complimentary RB. Guys like Michael Carter, Kenneth Gainwell and Chuba Hubbard could have been effective in this role and would've been chosen much later in the draft, thus allowing us to fill a real need with an elite player. Etienne is a very good RB. He was my #2 rated runner, but for the role he was gonna fill in this offense, I don't see much difference what he brings to the table and what one of the other guys I mentioned would've brought. On the other hand, we could've gotten a better player at another position that could've made a much bigger impact. This choice is in no way an indictment of Etienne, I am pretty sure everyone likes him as a player. It just that the position could've been addressed much later and just as effectively with someone else.

(05-06-2021, 10:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 11:28 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: People are so short sighted.  They went with best available player and he was on their board.  Just because we have James Robinson does not mean tailback should be eliminated.   Robinson missed some time with injury.  Do you want to have a rushing attack where Hyde is the starter if Robinson misses time?  At the very very little, ETN is an insurance policy.

People don't have a problem with Etienne, it's how high he was drafted. We had an every down RB in Robinson who was/is good. We needed a 3rd down, complimentary RB. Guys like Michael Carter, Kenneth Gainwell and Chuba Hubbard could have been effective in this role and would've been chosen much later in the draft, thus allowing us to fill a real need with an elite player. Etienne is a very good RB. He was my #2 rated runner, but for the role he was gonna fill in this offense, I don't see much difference what he brings to the table and what one of the other guys I mentioned would've brought. On the other hand, we could've gotten a better player at another position that could've made a much bigger impact. This choice is in no way an indictment of Etienne, I am pretty sure everyone likes him as a player. It just that the position could've been addressed much later and just as effectively with someone else.

I'm curious how you know what role he is going to fill on this offense since the season is still 4 months away.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]