Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

(05-03-2021, 12:46 AM)Jags@dajugular Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 07:19 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Would you trade Robinson for a TE ?

Not in hell...just get rid off the best offensive player last year because some think we could solve all our issues in one draft...so glad you all ain't the GM

Maybe he means Cam Robinson, not James Robinson.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-02-2021, 07:16 PM)Jags@dajugular Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 06:53 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: The big question seems to be how much usage will Etienne get.  NFL teams average approximately 27 rushing carries per game.  Let's assume 2 of those are by either a quarterback or a wide receiver.  That means 25 carries for the running backs.  Assuming all are healthy, how do you envision those 25 carries being distributed between Etienne, Robinson and Hyde?

Coach already said they pounding the rock so 27 is under estimating

I think we're going to be throwing the ball to the RBs also.  So add those touches to the rushing carries.

(05-01-2021, 11:41 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think it's fair to say he is a great player even. He's good, but there are definite concerns with his vision, lateral quickness, and propensity to try to hit the home run so often that he leaves a lot of yards on the field on plays where he could/should just put his head down and get another 2-3 yards.

Really?  7.2 yards per carry and 78 TDs, and you think he's leaving a lot of yards on the field?

(05-03-2021, 07:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 11:41 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think it's fair to say he is a great player even. He's good, but there are definite concerns with his vision, lateral quickness, and propensity to try to hit the home run so often that he leaves a lot of yards on the field on plays where he could/should just put his head down and get another 2-3 yards.

Really?  7.2 yards per carry and 78 TDs, and you think he's leaving a lot of yards on the field?

It's not who he would have picked so he's gonna whine about it.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-03-2021, 07:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I think there were about half a dozen runs every game where there was almost no chance he was going to be able to make multiple players miss and he should have just lowered his head and gotten an extra 2-3 yards instead of trying to dance/juke and winding up with no extra yards.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021, 11:48 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Clemson's oline last year just wasn't very good

I wanted Toney in the 2nd but if it was Toney or Etienne I would of taken Toney. Toney is going to be electric in NY

"Urban Meyer admits he wanted Kadarius Toney in round one - ProFootballTalk" https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...d-one/amp/

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021, 12:22 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(05-03-2021, 07:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I mean if he played on a run-first team without the best QB in the country I'd be all for those numbers and happy.

The reality is not one defensive coordinator went into the game thinking - gotta stop that Etienne guy, he's the gamebreaker, he's gonna ruin us. They gameplanned for T-Law and if Etienne beat them, meh, oh well.

(05-03-2021, 11:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Clemson's oline last year just wasn't very good

I wanted Toney in the 2nd but if it was Toney or Etienne I would of taken Toney.  Toney is going to be electric in NY

"Urban Meyer admits he wanted Kadarius Toney in round one - ProFootballTalk" https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...d-one/amp/

Toney is gonna be crap. Another looks like Tarzan plays like Jane kinda guy.

(05-03-2021, 12:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 07:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Really?  7.2 yards per carry and 78 TDs, and you think he's leaving a lot of yards on the field?

I mean if he played on a run-first team without the best QB in the country I'd be all for those numbers and happy.

The reality is not one defensive coordinator went into the game thinking - gotta stop that Etienne guy, he's the gamebreaker, he's gonna ruin us. They gameplanned for T-Law and if Etienne beat them, meh, oh well.

78 touchdowns.  Wouldn't you think that after about 50 touchdowns, they would reassess that game plan?   
Well, anyway, here's hoping NFL defensive coordinators take the same approach.

The dude was in line for a Heisman along with his teammate, who actually won one. Let's complain about it..

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 04:04 AM by chris hill.)

Former Clemson coach: Etienne plays like a bigger barry sanders..

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-footbal...ders-37584

(05-03-2021, 12:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I mean if he played on a run-first team without the best QB in the country I'd be all for those numbers and happy.

Yeah, exactly. It's not like he's going to have a QB like Lawrence in the NFL.

(05-04-2021, 05:40 AM)iapetus Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 12:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I mean if he played on a run-first team without the best QB in the country I'd be all for those numbers and happy.

Yeah, exactly. It's not like he's going to have a QB like Lawrence in the NFL.

Not to [BLEEP] in your Gatorade, but it's likely that Trevor won't start off playing like Brady in his prime. That's okay, but we'll need to see how much attention Lawrence starts off drawing. My guess is teams will probably start off disrespecting him and trying to get any opportunity they can get to lay a "welcome to the NFL, rookie," hit on him.

(05-04-2021, 06:21 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 05:40 AM)iapetus Wrote: Yeah, exactly. It's not like he's going to have a QB like Lawrence in the NFL.

Not to [BLEEP] in your Gatorade, but it's likely that Trevor won't start off playing like Brady in his prime. That's okay, but we'll need to see how much attention Lawrence starts off drawing. My guess is teams will probably start off disrespecting him and trying to get any opportunity they can get to lay a "welcome to the NFL, rookie," hit on him.

Which is fine. I'm not stupid enough to expect those numbers from a rookie RB day one anyway, any more than I'm expecting Lawrence to be inducted into the Hall of Fame on the evening of his first game as a rookie starting on the last ever 1-15 team. But you can't have it both ways; these are both extremely good players, rookies or not. If Etienne is shut down because they're disrespecting Lawrence, I'm happy to take what that gives us.

Here's a highlight reel. What you see is that his success isn't a result of any focus on TL, but rather it's the result of incredible acceleration. For a RB, 40 yard time, while important, isn't half as important as his speed over the first 5 or 10 yards. Etienne has tremendous acceleration and speed over that first 10 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2I0F4OeSpw

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 06:48 AM by rpr52121.)

There was an interview with Meyer where he said he envisions Robinson and E10 on the field together. He even mentions the possibility of a split backfield with a two backs and motion, like a pro set from shot gun or pistol, or even under center. (Oddly enough Clemson used to run a shotgun Wing-T/Spread formation with motion back in 2011 well before T'Law.) He also talked about E10 going through WR training and meetings, so there is a decent chance he will be lined up as a WR often with possible motion depending on the defense alignment.

So honestly, we should be talking about E10 total yards and touches, not typically the Robinson role between the tackles.

The question this does bring up though is what happens with Laviska Shenault. Because that is kind of the role people envisioned for him. Though, I guess you could run a few trick plays with all 3 in the backfield and both blocking TE, a la the Single Wing or the ND Box alignments. Could really mess with smaller defensive teams built on speed.

(05-04-2021, 06:42 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: There was an interview with Meyer where he said he envisions Robinson and E10 on the field together. He even mentions the possibility of a split backfield with a two backs and motion, like a pro set from shot gun or pistol, or even under center. (Oddly enough Clemson used to run a shotgun Wing-T/Spread formation with motion back in 2011 well before T'Law.) He also talked about E10 going through WR training and meetings, so there is a decent chance he will be lined up as a WR often with possible motion depending on the defense alignment.

So honestly, we should be talking about E10 total yards and touches, not typically the Robinson role between the tackles.

The question this does bring up though is what happens with Laviska Shenault. Because that is kind of the role people envisioned for him. Though, I guess you could run a few trick plays with all 3 in the backfield and both blocking TE, a la the Single Wing or the ND Box alignments. Could really mess with smaller defensive teams built on speed.

Good points.  I would also like to remind everyone that Robinson didn't make it all the way through the season last year.  And this year we have an additional game.  And, to me, towards the end of the year, just judging from the look on his face, Robinson looked worn out.  If we ever make it to the playoffs in the next few years, it would be nice to have two fresh running backs instead of one worn out running back.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 07:05 AM by The Real Marty.)

Here's an interesting report I hadn't seen.  According to Todd McShay, the Bills were trying to trade up ahead of the Jets to draft Etienne.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2...draft.html  

“The last bit of buzz for you,” McShay told Russilo. “Travis Etienne is the hottest running back in this class right now in terms of where his draft stock is going to be. I’m told that Buffalo at 30 is talking to teams ahead of the Jets at 23 and Jacksonville at 25 and going ahead of Pittsburgh as well trying to get in position to get Etienne. They think that he’s the best back. They want to pair him up obviously with Josh Allen and create that backfield.”

(05-04-2021, 06:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 06:42 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: There was an interview with Meyer where he said he envisions Robinson and E10 on the field together. He even mentions the possibility of a split backfield with a two backs and motion, like a pro set from shot gun or pistol, or even under center. (Oddly enough Clemson used to run a shotgun Wing-T/Spread formation with motion back in 2011 well before T'Law.) He also talked about E10 going through WR training and meetings, so there is a decent chance he will be lined up as a WR often with possible motion depending on the defense alignment.

Good points.  I would also like to remind everyone that Robinson didn't make it all the way through the season last year.  And this year we have an additional game.  And, to me, towards the end of the year, just judging from the look on his face, Robinson looked worn out.  If we ever make it to the playoffs in the next few years, it would be nice to have two fresh running backs instead of one worn out running back.

Because Robinson hit the rookie wall. It happens, especially with high production players like him.

(05-04-2021, 07:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 06:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Good points.  I would also like to remind everyone that Robinson didn't make it all the way through the season last year.  And this year we have an additional game.  And, to me, towards the end of the year, just judging from the look on his face, Robinson looked worn out.  If we ever make it to the playoffs in the next few years, it would be nice to have two fresh running backs instead of one worn out running back.

Because Robinson hit the rookie wall. It happens, especially with high production players like him.
He was literally the only productive facet of the offense. 
Not so much rookie wall as just having the wheels driven off of him IMO. 
And the injury of course.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2021, 08:36 AM by WingerDinger.)

(05-04-2021, 06:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here's a highlight reel.  What you see is that his success isn't a result of any focus on TL, but rather it's the result of incredible acceleration.   For a RB, 40 yard time, while important, isn't half as important as his speed over the first 5 or 10 yards.  Etienne has tremendous acceleration and speed over that first 10 yards.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2I0F4OeSpw

I absolutely love that block in the back avoidance by TLaw at the 5:25 mark.. Smart smart play..