Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(06-14-2021, 04:00 PM)Ronster Wrote: Cleveland Clinic Study: Coronavirus Survivors Show Lasting Immunity Against Virus

A recent study conducted by the world renowned Cleveland Clinic found that survivors of the Chinese coronavirus show lasting immunity against the virus, and those who have previously been infected with the virus “are unlikely to benefit” from a coronavirus vaccination.

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2021/06...nst-virus/

"We don’t know how long the immune system will protect against reinfection or protect against variants."

Hardly "long lasting" immunity.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-14-2021, 04:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 03:43 PM)mikesez Wrote: I get the part about people under 12 not being vaccinated. 
Maybe everyone 11 or under should still be wearing masks, but there are at least 2 reasons to not have that policy.
One is it's not always easy to tell 11 year olds and 12 year olds apart, and you can hurt their feelings if you get it wrong.
Two is case counts are way down.
Just because they didn't explain their reasoning well doesn't mean it was hypocritical or stupid.  It probably just means the policy was written by committee.

Your explanation of their stupid policy doesn't make it less stupid. That you think "stupid" and "written by committee" are mutually exclusive explains your position on so many other topics.

(06-14-2021, 04:00 PM)Ronster Wrote: Cleveland Clinic Study: Coronavirus Survivors Show Lasting Immunity Against Virus

A recent study conducted by the world renowned Cleveland Clinic found that survivors of the Chinese coronavirus show lasting immunity against the virus, and those who have previously been infected with the virus “are unlikely to benefit” from a coronavirus vaccination.

Are you doing ok? You posted that study five days ago and we discussed it then. Taken any falls or hit your head recently that might be affecting your memory?

[font=Georgia,]ALANA MASTRANGELO
14 Jun 202171[/font]

3:43

[font=Georgia,]A recent study conducted by the world renowned Cleveland Clinic found that survivors of the Chinese coronavirus show lasting immunity against the virus, and those who have previously been infected with the virus “are unlikely to benefit” from a coronavirus vaccination.
“Individuals who have had SARS-CoV-2 infection are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 [Chinese coronavirus] vaccination, and vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before,” read the conclusion of the study examining the necessity of coronavirus vaccinations for those who have been previously infected with the virus.

The Cleveland Clinic says this research provides insight into how one’s immune system protects the body after a coronavirus infection is confirmed.
The study examined previously infected individuals who received the vaccine, compared with previously infected individuals who did not, and individuals who had never been infected with the coronavirus, who received the vaccine, as well as those uninfected individuals who remained unvaccinated.
In conducting the study, 52,238 Cleveland Clinic employees were evaluated, 2,579 of whom had previously contracted the Wuhan virus. Among those 2,579 previously infected employees, 1,359 (53 percent ) remained unvaccinated, while 1,220 (47 percent) were vaccinated.
The Cleveland Clinic says that over the five months of the study, the coronavirus did not occur in anyone among the group of 2,579 previously infected individuals, including the 1,359 who did not take the vaccine.
“The cumulative incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection among previously infected unvaccinated subjects did not differ from that of previously infected subjects who were vaccinated, and that of previously uninfected subjects who were vaccinated,” the study found.
“Not one of the 2,579 previously infected subjects had a SARS-CoV-2 infection, including 1,359 who remained unvaccinated throughout the duration of the study,” the study revealed.
The Cleveland Clinic added that those who are more likely to be at risk are individuals who have never been infected with the coronavirus and remain unvaccinated.

The cumulative incidence of coronavirus infection “remained almost zero among previously infected unvaccinated subjects, previously infected subjects who were vaccinated, and previously uninfected subjects who were vaccinated, compared with a steady increase in cumulative incidence among previously uninfected subjects who remained unvaccinated,” the study found.
While the study found that unvaccinated survivors of the coronavirus show lasting immunity against the virus, the Cleveland Clinic still recommends that anyone who can get the vaccine, should, telling FOX 8, “We don’t know how long the immune system will protect against reinfection or protect against variants.”
The Cleveland Clinic went on to insist that it is safe to get the coronavirus vaccine, even if an individual has previously tested positive for the Wuhan virus.
“This data could guide vaccination efforts should there be a shortage of vaccine supply and in areas where vaccine supply is limited,” the Cleveland Clinic said of its study.
You can follow Alana Mastrangelo on Facebook and Twitter at @ARmastrangelo, and on Instagram[/font]

HealthPoliticsantibodiesCleveland CliniccoronavirusImmunity
[/url][url=https://www.breitbart.com/health/2021/06/14/cleveland-clinic-study-coronavirus-survivors-show-lasting-immunity-against-virus/#]
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-14-2021, 03:57 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 03:43 PM)mikesez Wrote: I get the part about people under 12 not being vaccinated. 
Maybe everyone 11 or under should still be wearing masks, but there are at least 2 reasons to not have that policy.
One is it's not always easy to tell 11 year olds and 12 year olds apart, and you can hurt their feelings if you get it wrong.
Just because they didn't explain their reasoning well doesn't mean it was hypocritical or stupid.  It probably just means the policy was written by committee.

That’s part of what is wrong with the US today.  Too many people worried they’ll hurt someone’s feelings. And in your scenario, it makes it even more silly to worry about it.  “But I’m a big boy! Mommy said I was!”  Cry me a river.

We have a similar scenario play out everywhere when it comes to alcohol sales. People can get their feelings hurt over being carded or not being carded. The clerk or bartender gets to say, "I'm sorry but it's a government requirement."
If our government could just make up its mind about mask policies, and give corporations like Disney some backup, that would probably be the safest possible scenario for everybody. 
But like I already said it's not a big deal at this point. So many people are vaccinated.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 06:05 PM by Jags.)

(06-14-2021, 05:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 03:57 PM)Jags Wrote: That’s part of what is wrong with the US today.  Too many people worried they’ll hurt someone’s feelings. And in your scenario, it makes it even more silly to worry about it.  “But I’m a big boy! Mommy said I was!”  Cry me a river.

We have a similar scenario play out everywhere when it comes to alcohol sales. People can get their feelings hurt over being carded or not being carded. The clerk or bartender gets to say, "I'm sorry but it's a government requirement."
If our government could just make up its mind about mask policies, and give corporations like Disney some backup, that would probably be the safest possible scenario for everybody. 
But like I already said it's not a big deal at this point. So many people are vaccinated.

I personally didn’t get butthurt on my thirtieth bday when I got stopped for truancy.  I thought it was cool I didn’t look my age.  No hurt feelings.  Now at a mere “39”. With gray hairs in my beard and hair, the high school aged checkout person from Publix doesn’t ask for ID and calls me “Sir”.  What the heck happened in 9 years??   Hey, I finally look my age!  So tell me where someone will have their little feelings hurt.  Either scenario it shouldn’t matter.  Either scenario, if someone has hurt feelings, well…they probably need to get their feelings hurt once in a while.  They need to toughen up.

(06-14-2021, 05:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 03:57 PM)Jags Wrote: That’s part of what is wrong with the US today.  Too many people worried they’ll hurt someone’s feelings. And in your scenario, it makes it even more silly to worry about it.  “But I’m a big boy! Mommy said I was!”  Cry me a river.

Regarding the part in bold, those people are referred to as snowflakes (same as you).

The thing is, liberal democrats like you are waiting for the government to make "mask policies" rather than allow free people to make a choice on their own.  Just my opinion, but if you still wear a mask muzzle you are part of the problem with this country, especially if you have either gotten the vaccine or had the china virus.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-14-2021, 06:03 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 05:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: We have a similar scenario play out everywhere when it comes to alcohol sales. People can get their feelings hurt over being carded or not being carded. The clerk or bartender gets to say, "I'm sorry but it's a government requirement."

I personally didn’t get butthurt on my thirtieth bday when I got stopped for truancy.  I thought it was cool I didn’t look my age.  No hurt feelings.  Now at a mere “39”. With gray hairs in my beard and hair, the high school aged checkout person from Publix doesn’t ask for ID and calls me “Sir”.  What the heck happened in 9 years??   Hey, I finally look my age!  So tell me where someone will have their little feelings hurt.  Either scenario it shouldn’t matter.  Either scenario, if someone has hurt feelings, well…probably needs to get their feelings hurt once in a while.  They need to toughen up.

Just going from the ‘17 to ‘18 with this team has been aging on all of us!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 06:14 PM by Jags.)

(06-14-2021, 06:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 05:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: We have a similar scenario play out everywhere when it comes to alcohol sales. People can get their feelings hurt over being carded or not being carded. The clerk or bartender gets to say, "I'm sorry but it's a government requirement."

Regarding the part in bold, those people are referred to as snowflakes (same as you).

The thing is, liberal democrats like you are waiting for the government to make "mask policies" rather than allow free people to make a choice on their own.  Just my opinion, but if you still wear a mask muzzle you are part of the problem with this country, especially if you have either gotten the vaccine or had the china virus.

But Mike is worried about hurting 12 year olds feeling for looking like they are 11.  You can’t even make that up.  

You just gave me an awesome idea.  I may just opt to wear a muzzle.  A Hanibel Lecter type.  People would surely get out of my way and not bother me.  I even have the dolly(hand truck).  I may need a push though.

(06-14-2021, 06:09 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 06:03 PM)Jags Wrote: I personally didn’t get butthurt on my thirtieth bday when I got stopped for truancy.  I thought it was cool I didn’t look my age.  No hurt feelings.  Now at a mere “39”. With gray hairs in my beard and hair, the high school aged checkout person from Publix doesn’t ask for ID and calls me “Sir”.  What the heck happened in 9 years??   Hey, I finally look my age!  So tell me where someone will have their little feelings hurt.  Either scenario it shouldn’t matter.  Either scenario, if someone has hurt feelings, well…probably needs to get their feelings hurt once in a while.  They need to toughen up.

Just going from the ‘17 to ‘18 with this team has been aging on all of us!

Good point!   Great scapegoat as well.  I’ll go with that.  Shad owes me a box or two of Just for Men!!!

(06-14-2021, 04:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Your explanation of their stupid policy doesn't make it less stupid. That you think "stupid" and "written by committee" are mutually exclusive explains your position on so many other topics.

Are you doing ok? You posted that study five days ago and we discussed it then. Taken any falls or hit your head recently that might be affecting your memory?
He’s shook by the amount of keys and bobby-pins stuck on people’s bodies!

Sounds like there might be a new vaccine coming down the pike for people suspicious about the mRNA vaccines.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/14/health/no...index.html
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(06-14-2021, 08:19 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Sounds like there might be a new vaccine coming down the pike for people suspicious about the mRNA vaccines.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/14/health/no...index.html

90.4% was a B when I was in school.

(06-14-2021, 05:16 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 04:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Your explanation of their stupid policy doesn't make it less stupid. That you think "stupid" and "written by committee" are mutually exclusive explains your position on so many other topics.

[font=Georgia,]ALANA MASTRANGELO
14 Jun 202171[/font]

3:43

[font=Georgia,]A recent study conducted by the world renowned Cleveland Clinic found that survivors of the Chinese coronavirus show lasting immunity against the virus, and those who have previously been infected with the virus “are unlikely to benefit” from a coronavirus vaccination.
“Individuals who have had SARS-CoV-2 infection are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 [Chinese coronavirus] vaccination, and vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before,” read the conclusion of the study examining the necessity of coronavirus vaccinations for those who have been previously infected with the virus.

The Cleveland Clinic says this research provides insight into how one’s immune system protects the body after a coronavirus infection is confirmed.
The study examined previously infected individuals who received the vaccine, compared with previously infected individuals who did not, and individuals who had never been infected with the coronavirus, who received the vaccine, as well as those uninfected individuals who remained unvaccinated.
In conducting the study, 52,238 Cleveland Clinic employees were evaluated, 2,579 of whom had previously contracted the Wuhan virus. Among those 2,579 previously infected employees, 1,359 (53 percent ) remained unvaccinated, while 1,220 (47 percent) were vaccinated.
The Cleveland Clinic says that over the five months of the study, the coronavirus did not occur in anyone among the group of 2,579 previously infected individuals, including the 1,359 who did not take the vaccine.
“The cumulative incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection among previously infected unvaccinated subjects did not differ from that of previously infected subjects who were vaccinated, and that of previously uninfected subjects who were vaccinated,” the study found.
“Not one of the 2,579 previously infected subjects had a SARS-CoV-2 infection, including 1,359 who remained unvaccinated throughout the duration of the study,” the study revealed.
The Cleveland Clinic added that those who are more likely to be at risk are individuals who have never been infected with the coronavirus and remain unvaccinated.

The cumulative incidence of coronavirus infection “remained almost zero among previously infected unvaccinated subjects, previously infected subjects who were vaccinated, and previously uninfected subjects who were vaccinated, compared with a steady increase in cumulative incidence among previously uninfected subjects who remained unvaccinated,” the study found.
While the study found that unvaccinated survivors of the coronavirus show lasting immunity against the virus, the Cleveland Clinic still recommends that anyone who can get the vaccine, should, telling FOX 8, “We don’t know how long the immune system will protect against reinfection or protect against variants.”
The Cleveland Clinic went on to insist that it is safe to get the coronavirus vaccine, even if an individual has previously tested positive for the Wuhan virus.
“This data could guide vaccination efforts should there be a shortage of vaccine supply and in areas where vaccine supply is limited,” the Cleveland Clinic said of its study.
You can follow Alana Mastrangelo on Facebook and Twitter at @ARmastrangelo, and on Instagram[/font]

HealthPoliticsantibodiesCleveland CliniccoronavirusImmunity
[/url][url=https://www.breitbart.com/health/2021/06/14/cleveland-clinic-study-coronavirus-survivors-show-lasting-immunity-against-virus/#]

You going to put that part on blast too? Or just cherry pick the part you want ignore the resultant recommendation?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2021, 07:15 AM by Lucky2Last.)

Since we're all repeating ourselves, that bolded part is logical fallacy: It does not follow.

(06-15-2021, 07:15 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Since we're all repeating ourselves, that bolded part is logical fallacy: It does not follow.

Well, I guess since we're questioning the authority of the Cleveland Clinic then we should just toss the whole article since they were the ones making the initial announcement as well. As I said, cherry picking at its finest.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2021, 09:02 AM by Lucky2Last.)

Authority is irrelevant, Mikesez (jk, I should only use those types of burns on my fiercest rivals). But seriously, data and authority are not the same thing. They ran a study that strongly suggests that people who get Covid have long term immunity. That's data. Everything after that is opinion based on their reasoning, which is faulty. You don't have to question data to question logic.

Let me put it a different way: This is a classic non-sequitur. The conclusion does not follow from the premise. If an expert said Scotland has 421 words for snow (true fact), so they clearly do not like the heat, that would be a non-sequitur. The conclusion does not follow. Only one of those things is a fact, and the burden to prove the latter falls on the expert. That doesn't mean the conclusion is FALSE. Scots might actually hate the heat, but the evidence is not provided to support that statement. It doesn't matter if an authority said it or not.

Ultimately, you are arguing an appeal to authority, which is also a logical fallacy. Just because an authority says something, doesn't make it true. Again, that doesn't mean it's false. I am just saying they don't provide any evidence taking the vaccine is going to provide greater long-term protection for those people that have already have COVID. Literally 0 evidence was provided for that statement, which renders your appeal to authority useless in this case.

(06-15-2021, 09:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Authority is irrelevant, Mikesez (jk, I should only use those types of burns on my fiercest rivals). But seriously, data and authority are not the same thing. They ran a study that strongly suggests that people who get Covid have long term immunity. That's data. Everything after that is opinion based on their reasoning, which is faulty. You don't have to question data to question logic.

There's also a study that says a high proportion of people who recover from Covid have long term health problems.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/15/health/covid-19-patients.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=Health

"The report “drives home the point that long Covid can affect nearly every organ system,” said Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, chief of the research and development service at the VA St. Louis Health Care System, who was not involved in the new study.

“Some of these manifestations are chronic conditions that will last a lifetime and will forever scar some individuals and families,” added Dr. Al-Aly, who was an author of a [font=nyt-imperial, georgia,]large study published in April of lingering symptoms in Covid patients in the Department of Veterans Affairs health system."[/font]
==================================================================

So, I guess you take your chances one way or the other.  Personally, I got vaccinated, and I'm glad I did.  Getting vaccinated seems a lot safer than getting Covid, even if I recover from it. 

(06-15-2021, 09:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 09:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Authority is irrelevant, Mikesez (jk, I should only use those types of burns on my fiercest rivals). But seriously, data and authority are not the same thing. They ran a study that strongly suggests that people who get Covid have long term immunity. That's data. Everything after that is opinion based on their reasoning, which is faulty. You don't have to question data to question logic.

There's also a study that says a high proportion of people who recover from Covid have long term health problems.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/15/health/covid-19-patients.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=Health

"The report “drives home the point that long Covid can affect nearly every organ system,” said Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, chief of the research and development service at the VA St. Louis Health Care System, who was not involved in the new study.

“Some of these manifestations are chronic conditions that will last a lifetime and will forever scar some individuals and families,” added Dr. Al-Aly, who was an author of a [font=nyt-imperial, georgia,]large study published in April of lingering symptoms in Covid patients in the Department of Veterans Affairs health system."[/font]
==================================================================

So, I guess you take your chances one way or the other.  Personally, I got vaccinated, and I'm glad I did.  Getting vaccinated seems a lot safer than getting Covid, even if I recover from it. 

VA Doctors are the best of the best after all........................................................

^This ^
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-15-2021, 09:20 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Let me put it a different way: This is a classic non-sequitur. The conclusion does not follow from the premise. If an expert said Scotland has 421 words for snow (true fact), so they clearly do not like the heat, that would be a non-sequitur. The conclusion does not follow. Only one of those things is a fact, and the burden to prove the latter falls on the expert. That doesn't mean the conclusion is FALSE. Scots might actually hate the heat, but the evidence is not provided to support that statement. It doesn't matter if an authority said it or not.

Ultimately, you are arguing an appeal to authority, which is also a logical fallacy. Just because an authority says something, doesn't make it true. Again, that doesn't mean it's false. I am just saying they don't provide any evidence taking the vaccine is going to provide greater long-term protection for those people that have already have COVID. Literally 0 evidence was provided for that statement, which renders your appeal to authority useless in this case.

Yes yes, I know all that. As you've said it doesn't make it false either but people are willing to trust the conclusion of the study (that they know pretty much nothing about) that supports their belief while rejecting the same expert's analysis (that they also know pretty much nothing about) of that study when it doesn't. Regardless of that the conclusion of the experts of the Cleveland Clinic is out there for you to ignore at your choosing. Let conspiracy theorizing continue unabated.

Sure. Cognitive dissonance is real, but that doesn't apply here. People are accepting the result of their study, obviously because it confirms their previously held belief. Your argument would hold more weight if the scientists also gave data to support getting vaccinated, but they didn't, and, to my knowledge, there aren't any studies that suggest the vaccine is superior to natural immunity.