Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:The fact is....

This team is so bad, fans like us put above average players up on this huge pedestal and confuse them for being elite.

Boselli was elite. Monroe was not. LJ? Well... we'll see.

This... plus, those jawing about how much we should have gotten for him were actually underestimating him before the trade.  They didn't fall in love with him until he's gone, and now they want something in return for him that couldn't be had.  Simply... delusional.

Taking the PFF rating of 10 for granted (not nitpicking it, but assuming it's fairly accurate)...

That simply means he's pegged right between the upper third and middle third of all LTs.

Good, but not great.  Still about six notches below Pro Bowl status.  Certainly not elite nor deserving elite compensation, particularly at his age.  A guy whose arrow certainly isn't pointing up.  He's as good as he gets, which isn't bad, but it's not going to get any better (no "elite" or Pro Bowl coming.)

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Somehow I see us getting screwed on the compensatory picks. 
Knighton might end up being a 7th but I really doubt it based on his playing time. Also salary plays the primary role on accessing compensatory picks and a 4th rounder is almost always awarded when a guy is making 5million or more a year, which Cox currently is with his 4 years 20 million contract.

But....stranger things have happened.

Quote:Yes I already corrected myself. But thanks.

Actually you did it after my post lol. I posted at 10:20, you edited at 10:22.

Quote:So the Browns got a 1st for a crappy RB and we get garbage for a top 10 LT? lol

The Colts were absolute idiots giving up a 1st round pick for a mediocre talent like Trent Richardson, it says more about the incompetence of the owner (who certainly played a hand in it) more than anything.

Quote:The Colts were absolute idiots giving up a 1st round pick for a mediocre talent like Trent Richardson, it says more about the incompetence of the owner (who certainly played a hand in it) more than anything.

Pretty much. Still can't believe they traded a 1st for Trent Richardson.

Quote:Pretty much. Still can't believe they traded a 1st for Trent Richardson.
Remember when people wanted us to draft Richardson? lol and Mark Ingram and Spiller...

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Quote:This... plus, those jawing about how much we should have gotten for him were actually underestimating him before the trade. They didn't fall in love with him until he's gone, and now they want something in return for him that couldn't be had. Simply... delusional.

Taking the PFF rating of 10 for granted (not nitpicking it, but assuming it's fairly accurate)...

That simply means he's pegged right between the upper third and middle third of all LTs.

Good, but not great. Still about six notches below Pro Bowl status. Certainly not elite nor deserving elite compensation, particularly at his age. A guy whose arrow certainly isn't pointing up. He's as good as he gets, which isn't bad, but it's not going to get any better (no "elite" or Pro Bowl coming.)

As someone pointed out earlier....

Gene Smith got a 5th rounder for Mike Thomas....Surely Monroe was better than Mike Thomas.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I think people will be shocked with the number of picks we will have once the compensatory picks are added.

I my math is correct we should have 12 after compensatory picks (knighton, and cox) and assuming 2 picks from Baltimore for Monroe.

Hopefully 10 of those are in the first 5 rounds.

Actually it will probably be you that is shocked at the lack of compensatory picks, or at least good ones from the above list, given your tone up there....

Compensatory pick compensation is usually decided by how much $$ a player signs for with his new team when he leaves his former team via free agency. Other than Cox, who signed a modest deal, the rest were peanuts. We might get a 6th for Cox and MAYBE a couple 7ths for the others (and they might as well be UDFA's given they are at the end of the 7th)

Quote:I really want to see the exact picks we got. I hope it's not a 4 and 5. I'm hoping its 3 and 4.

Like I said earlier, I don't think you guys really understand how much better Bridgewater is going to make this team. I'm talking 6-10 wins better!

I do. But the idea is to stockpile higher draft choices to build around Bridge,.....late rounders aren't likely to amount to anything, unless you may strike lightning in a bottle with 1 or 2 at most. 

Quote:Yeah I don't think Teddy is on Luck's level prospect wise but he's right below. The only other prospect I can see being better than him in the future is Jameis Winston (why couldn't he be a RS Sophomore instead of a RS Freshman this year Sad )

I don't see Winston being "better" than Teddy. As good? possibly....but Teddy is that good that there isn't much room for another prospect to be much better. 

Quote:Levi Brown was just traded to the Steelers, I'm interested to see what the Steelers gave up.

This ^^^^ 

Can't wait to find out, and then possible hear the excuses if its similar to Monroe's deal. 

Quote:This... plus, those jawing about how much we should have gotten for him were actually underestimating him before the trade.  They didn't fall in love with him until he's gone, and now they want something in return for him that couldn't be had.  Simply... delusional.

Good, but not great.  Still about six notches below Pro Bowl status.  Certainly not elite nor deserving elite compensation, particularly at his age.  A guy whose arrow certainly isn't pointing up.  He's as good as he gets, which isn't bad, but it's not going to get any better (no "elite" or Pro Bowl coming.)

I do agree with some of what you say here. 

I would not have been happy if it was the Jags giving Monroe a "max" long term deal next year becauseI don't think he's "elite".....but I just think theres a chasm between that & what we just got in return for Monroe - I think we could have done a bit better in compensation considering he's still pretty good, young & plays a premium position. 

, particularly at his age.  A guy whose arrow certainly isn't pointing up.  

He's 26. 

Quote:As someone pointed out earlier....

Gene Smith got a 5th rounder for Mike Thomas....Surely Monroe was better than Mike Thomas.

...and that's why he garnered more than Thomas. 

Quote:As someone pointed out earlier....

So the Jags are only getting a 5th for Eugene Monroe? Or just one pick period? Shoot — a 4th and 5th can be traded for a 3rd easily, and with some teams maybe more. If somehow it's a 3rd and 4th then well... you get the picture.

Quote:, particularly at his age.  A guy whose arrow certainly isn't pointing up.  

He's 26. 

You think you're going to see anything different in the next four years?

Nope.

Quote:...and that's why he garnered more than Thomas. 

Monroe is a LOT better than Mike Thomas, yet only garnered a little bit more in his trade than Thomas...

Quote:Remember when people wanted us to draft Richardson? lol and Mark Ingram and Spiller...

I remember analyst comparing Richardson to Adrian Peterson, which was an absolutely egregious comparison. Jim Brown was right when he said Trent is an ordinary talent, you don't take a RB in the top 10 unless he's an Adrian Peterson type talent. Trent Richardson is not the type of RB that can consistently get more than what is blocked, and it’s because he lacks the lateral quickness and agility to do such a thing.

After this I think Poz will probably be gone next year, cut or traded, same with M. Lewis and maybe MJD.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Quote:...and that's why he garnered more than Thomas.

But not much more than Thomas. Out of 32 where would you rank Monroe and Thomas 1 being the highest 32 being the lowest.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 10:47 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:You think you're going to see anything different in the next four years?

Nope.
Monroe will probably see that elusive Pro Bowl that seems to be the measuring stick you used to defend all of the Jags roster moves.

Quote:You think you're going to see anything different in the next four years?

Nope.
Maybe, He played significantly better last year than he had in his first 3 seasons. I don't think it's out of the question that he continues to improve .

Quote:After this I think Poz will probably be gone next year, cut or traded, same with M. Lewis and maybe MJD.

Yeah, I heard teams were offering Caldwell a shiny nickel......and he was so stoked he made the deal on the spot. Shrude dude that Caldwell...  

Quote:I don't think we know that. The Colts were not very active in free agency last year and let Manning, Clark, Garcon and Saturday walk. This past offseason, they were one of the most active teams in free agency.

The Colts were not active in free-agency last year when they let those guys go...and that was the year they had TONS of draft picks. This year they were active in FA, but not in the draft. Could Caldwell turnaround and be active in BOTH FA and draft next year? Possible. But if that was the case, would it not make sense to bring back Monroe?

There are guys who majority feel won't be part of this core moving forward: MJD, Lewis, Poz, Lowery. But Monroe? A 26 yr old LT who while isn't elite is very much a capable-to-good starting LT in this league? Yeah, Luke can swing over. But who plays RT? Btw, the Colts spent $35M over 5 years for their RT. That's $7M per. It's not like RTs come cheap either. 

So yeah, could Dave do both next season? Yeah that's a possibility. But if he really believes that this team is so far away that he'd be willing to let go of a 26 yr old LT for mere 4th-7th round picks...what makes you think he'll spend money in FA next year? Wouldn't it make more sense to believe that the plan is to stockpile with picks his 1st and 2nd years, THEN spend on the 3rd year?