Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor Lawrence (merged threads)

Makes me wonder if Meyer is doing this as a sense of reinforcement for Lawrence. He’s the presumed starter but he still has to earn that right by competing against NFL veterans. By having Lawrence actually compete and demonstrate he’s better, he’ll be more confident in his abilities.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-22-2021, 10:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Makes me wonder if Meyer is doing this as a sense of reinforcement for Lawrence. He’s the presumed starter but he still has to earn that right by competing against NFL veterans. By having Lawrence actually compete and demonstrate he’s better, he’ll be more confident in his abilities.

I think this plays a big role in Urban's philosophy. It demonstrates to the rest of the team that EVERYONE will be held accountable and no freebies will be given - even though we all know Trevor is the undisputed starter. 

I think it bolsters the team mentally and physically - ensuring they play to the best of their abilities on any given play. Gone are the days of passing out ice cream with sprinkles or bologna.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2021, 11:48 AM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-22-2021, 10:16 AM)enigma Wrote: I think this plays a big role in Urban's philosophy. It demonstrates to the rest of the team that EVERYONE will be held accountable and no freebies will be given.

We all get that this is what Urban is trying to instill in the team. It was fine during OTAs, minicamp, and even early traning camp. But by this point everyone agrees that Trevor has looked the part and significantly outperformed Minshew. At this point gaining chemistry by giving Trevor every rep with Viska, Jones, the starting OL, etc is more important than this competition charade.

You can keep that philosophy going by letting Etienne battle Hyde, Little battling Cam/Taylor, Tyson and Cisco battling the other experienced DBs, etc. Getting Trevor comfortable no longer makes sense in this puzzle, it's time to give him all the help he can get to succeed in the regular season. Hell, if Urban really wanted everyone to instill this competition philosophy Beathard would be taking the occasional 1st team rep instead of Minshew.

(08-22-2021, 11:41 AM)Upper Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 10:16 AM)enigma Wrote: I think this plays a big role in Urban's philosophy. It demonstrates to the rest of the team that EVERYONE will be held accountable and no freebies will be given.

We all get that this is what Urban is trying to instill in the team. It was fine during OTAs, minicamp, and even early traning camp. But by this point everyone agrees that Trevor has looked the part and significantly outperformed Minshew. At this point gaining chemistry by giving Trevor every rep with Viska, Jones, the starting OL, etc is more important than this competition charade.

You can keep that philosophy going by letting Etienne battle Hyde, Little battling Cam/Taylor, Tyson and Cisco battling the other experienced DBs, etc. Getting Trevor comfortable no longer makes sense in this puzzle, it's time to give him all the help he can get to succeed in the regular season. Hell, if Urban really wanted everyone to instill this competition philosophy Beathard would be taking the occasional 1st team rep instead of Minshew.

They are currently
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-22-2021, 02:15 PM)Jag149 Wrote: They are currently

Exactly, so caving on one position battle doesn't undermine that mission.

Hurry up and wait for the announcement : )

(08-22-2021, 11:41 AM)Upper Wrote:

I think we'll be hearing news very soon regarding who will be the starting QB going into the season. 

We haven't played our second preseason game yet, but I suspect that Trevor will be running with the one's from here on out - and the official announcement will be made soon thereafter.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2021, 05:57 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-22-2021, 04:04 PM)enigma Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 11:41 AM)Upper Wrote: We all get that this is what Urban is trying to instill in the team. It was fine during OTAs, minicamp, and even early traning camp. But by this point everyone agrees that Trevor has looked the part and significantly outperformed Minshew. At this point gaining chemistry by giving Trevor every rep with Viska, Jones, the starting OL, etc is more important than this competition charade.

I think we'll be hearing news very soon regarding who will be the starting QB going into the season. 

We haven't played our second preseason game yet, but I suspect that Trevor will be running with the one's from here on out - and the official announcement will be made soon thereafter.
My main issue here is with chemistry. Trevor needs to build that chemistry with Jones, Viska and Chark. Not with Hammond.

(08-22-2021, 09:26 AM)prime winner Wrote: Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what if the silly qb1/qb2 battle is going down to not overwork Trevor's arm? I'm glad we didn't get a ho hum coach like the Texans got but this staff is really looking a little lost.

I've gone back and forth on this a bit. I think everyone knows Lawrence is going to start including the staff. But Meyer is trying to establish a new culture and part of that is that no one gets a free pass, everyone has to earn it from the bottom of the roster to the top. Even a number one draft pick. It's going to pay dividends in the long term.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-22-2021, 04:48 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 09:26 AM)prime winner Wrote: Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what if the silly qb1/qb2 battle is going down to not overwork Trevor's arm? I'm glad we didn't get a ho hum coach like the Texans got but this staff is really looking a little lost.

I've gone back and forth on this a bit. I think everyone knows Lawrence is going to start including the staff. But Meyer is trying to establish a new culture and part of that is that no one gets a free pass, everyone has to earn it from the bottom of the roster to the top. Even a number one draft pick. It's going to pay dividends in the long term.
I think most of these nfl players are smart enough to know it’s OK to go ahead and say Trevor has “earned  it” with 3 weeks to go until real action. Not sure that one decision is going to derail his “culture development.”

Meyer might not be using the QB competition just to evaluate Lawrence. It could be to see how the 1's and 2's perform with a different QB. By keeping it going, he might get a better understanding of how ALL his players perform.

(08-22-2021, 04:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 04:04 PM)enigma Wrote: I think we'll be hearing news very soon regarding who will be the starting QB going into the season. 

My main issue here is with chemistry. Trevor needs to build that chemistry with Jokes, Viska and Chark. Not with Hammond.

Exactly.

It doesn't do this team/Offense much good by having Lawrence throw to Josh Hammond, Paroh Cooper etc. every other day when game 1 is just a couple weeks out. He should be getting all of the reps with/against the 1s at this point. I get what Urban is trying to do, but everybody on the planet knows Lawrence is going to be the starter. Just make the move already.

(08-22-2021, 05:45 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Meyer might not be using the QB competition just to evaluate Lawrence. It could be to see how the 1's and 2's perform with a different QB. By keeping it going, he might get a better understanding of how ALL his players perform.
So he wants to see how players perform with a worse QB? 

I think you’re just reaching to find an answer here when in reality, he’s just delaying a decision that clearly has already been made.

I'm not saying any of that is fact. I agree that the decision has been made. Lawrence is clearly the better talent. I am just pointing out a possible benefit of having Lawrence play with the 2's.

(08-22-2021, 05:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 04:48 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I've gone back and forth on this a bit. I think everyone knows Lawrence is going to start including the staff. But Meyer is trying to establish a new culture and part of that is that no one gets a free pass, everyone has to earn it from the bottom of the roster to the top. Even a number one draft pick. It's going to pay dividends in the long term.
I think most of these nfl players are smart enough to know it’s OK to go ahead and say Trevor has “earned  it” with 3 weeks to go until real action. Not sure that one decision is going to derail his “culture development.”

By throwing for all of 71 yards in the first preseason game? No. I think we know how this will ultimately play out but don't just give it to the guy due to his draft position. How do you think the players would feel about Meyer talking about a new culture and then ETN gets the nod over Robinson just due to his draft position? I can't believe people aren't seeing this.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

That's the common sense answer. I still think there is some benefit to playing the QBs with all the players. It's his first year here, and he has a lot of talent to evaluate. By making them compete, you can compare apples to apples.

(08-22-2021, 08:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 05:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think most of these nfl players are smart enough to know it’s OK to go ahead and say Trevor has “earned  it” with 3 weeks to go until real action. Not sure that one decision is going to derail his “culture development.”

By throwing for all of 71 yards in the first preseason game? No. I think we know how this will ultimately play out but don't just give it to the guy due to his draft position. How do you think the players would feel about Meyer talking about a new culture and then ETN gets the nod over Robinson just due to his draft position? I can't believe people aren't seeing this.
Has anyone said “just give it to him”?

No. He has outplayed Minshew in just about every single practice as well as the preseason game.

The Jets seem to have no issue labeling Wilson the starter and giving him a ton of 1st team reps. Trevor needs all the 1st team reps he can get with the players he will play the most with during the regular season game.

Again. I’m not saying to just hand it to him but at this point, Trevor has earned the right to be the starter.

(08-22-2021, 06:25 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I'm not saying any of that is fact. I agree that the decision has been made. Lawrence is clearly the better talent. I am just pointing out a possible benefit of having Lawrence play with the 2's.

This is splitting hairs but if I read Urban correctly he has not had "the meeting" where those decisions will be made yet. This way he can honestly say what he has been saying all along. Front runners? why yes there are many ...;}
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-22-2021, 08:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 05:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think most of these nfl players are smart enough to know it’s OK to go ahead and say Trevor has “earned  it” with 3 weeks to go until real action. Not sure that one decision is going to derail his “culture development.”

I'm sorry, but you cannot possibly compare a bottom of the first round pick to the overall #1.  I can't believe you aren't seeing this.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-22-2021, 08:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: How do you think the players would feel about Meyer talking about a new culture and then ETN gets the nod over Robinson just due to his draft position?

James Robinson just had one of the best rookie seasons of a UDFA in history. Minshew has been very bad. How is this a comparison?