Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:The only was this deal makes sense to TMD would have been trading Monroe to the Hamilton Tiger Cats for Dan Lefevour.
Lefevour is better than Gabbert

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:... as a few other posters have pointed out, he WILL be available to resign next year.
I would think that if you trade a player you probably have no interest in resigning him.

And you dont know that he WILL be available to resign next year.  Baltimore can re up during the year OR they can franchise.  So saying that you are 100% certain is reaching.

Quote:I still feel the Brandon Albert trade scenario this off-season was similar. Albert may rank a couple spots higher (in terms of performance) than Monroe, but he also had triple the salary of Monroe. Not to mention, the Monroe trade happened mid-season (win-now mode), meaning higher value. When the Dolphins offered a 3rd for Albert, they still had the flexibility to wait it out, see if a LT is available in the draft, and then decide. 

I think the whole "well he wasn't in the long-term plans so it's better to get something than nothing" argument is a little too short-sided. Not only do I think we could have received better value, but I think that if we knew he wasn't in the long-term plans, why waste all this time? If Luke has always been the future and that we wouldn't compete this year, why even bother starting Luke at RT? Why didn't we just move Monroe and start Luke at LT all along?
Obviously we can't know, but my opinion would be that at the time they were hoping to keep Monroe. Two things have probably changed since then. Monroe realizing it was a long term rebuild and giving plenty of evidence that he wouldn't resign with the team, and Dave evaluating that Joeckel wasn't doing as well with the conversion to RT as hoped. He saw a way to recoup some decent value for a guy that was gone in 3 months anyway, and move his first franchise pick to his more comfortable position. Just a guess, but that's what I think.

It's amazing how quickly the I hate Caldwell people come out of the closet here.  Those same people will start praying that he fails so that they can come here and say, "See, I was right!"

Cards got 1 late pick for Brown and we got 2 for Monroe.. Il take it
Shock the world

Quote:I think he means that we could use those picks as ammo to package with a 3rd to move up. Or he could just be dumb. 
That or like i said in a follow up use our 4 and 5 which with our drafting postion as 1 or 2 be close enough to a 3 and 4 for the 2nd

Quote:It's amazing how quickly the I hate Caldwell people come out of the closet here. Those same people will start praying that he fails so that they can come here and say, "See, I was right!"

I trust caldwell and I like what he's doing. He is staring at Teddy in the face right now and he knows it.
Shock the world

Quote:I trust caldwell and I like what he's doing. He is staring at Teddy in the face right now and he knows it.

Until he trolls you and drafts another tackle. Jake Matthews anyone?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Have knarnn guess what bruh bruh?

Quote: 

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'>Ryan O'Halloran ‏@<b>ryanohalloran</b> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/385437411960160258' title="12:13 PM - 2 Oct 13">36s</a>

<p class="">Gus said other teams had called about Monroe. <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Jaguars&src=hash'>#<b>Jaguars</b></a>

Why is everyone writing off picks from 4th round and beyond as if they aren't capable of playing in the NFL? I mean of course better talent is at the beginning of the draft but there is still some quality players in these late rounds.

Quote:Until he trolls you and drafts another tackle. Jake Matthews anyone?

The only troll I see is you playa. 

Quote:Until he trolls you and drafts another tackle. Jake Matthews anyone?

If he took Matthews with the first pick then yes, I would freak out ha
Shock the world

Quote:Cards got 1 late pick for Brown and we got 2 for Monroe.. Il take it

That's the thing.

You have two bitter division rivals in Baltimore and Pittsburgh with huge needs at the same position-LT.  Both were shopping for an experienced LT.

Monroe was available for both.

If he were this superior young, healthy LT, there should have been a competitive market for him, which should have driven up the price for him. 

There obviously wasn't.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:It's amazing how quickly the I hate Caldwell people come out of the closet here. Those same people will start praying that he fails so that they can come here and say, "See, I was right!"

Its even more amazing how quick the "Caldwell is the greatest" posters come out to defend anything and everything this team does. In this very thread there are posters who supported JDR until his last year and even Gene Smith and fought for him until it was obvious they were wrong.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 12:23 PM by Haterade.)

Quote:Why is everyone writing off picks from 4th round and beyond as if they aren't capable of playing in the NFL? I mean of course better talent is at the beginning of the draft but there is still some quality players in these late rounds.
Gene Smith. So will we even be extending anyone Gene drafted in the first two rounds? Monroe, Britton, Alooaloo, Cox, Gabbert, Gabbert, Blackmon, & Branch. Am I missing anyone? Blackmon may be extended if he doesn't get suspended first

Caldwells going to be worse then smith and Harris combined. I hope I'm wrong but some of these moves are just mind blowing a 4th and 5th for top 10 LT ...... Smh
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Cards got 1 late pick for Brown and we got 2 for Monroe.. Il take it

Late pick means 6th and more likely 7th. Jags got two mid round picks.

Heres what rotoworld says: (seems to back up what most of us are saying) i.e. Ozzie schooled Caldwell....

per rotoworld: 

Eugene Monroe - T - Ravens

A source tells the Florida Times Union that the Jags will get 2014 fourth- and fifth-round picks from the Ravens in exchange for Eugene Monroe.

It's another savvy move from Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome. Monroe will provide stability on Joe Flacco's blindside and allow them to use Bryant McKinnie as a swing tackle. Baltimore is expected to get supplemental picks in the fourth and fifth rounds anyway, stemming from all their free-agency losses (Paul Kruger, Dannell Ellerbe, Cary Williams).

Quote:It's only a terrible move if Joeckel isn't an upgrade at LT.

It Joeckel was struggling at RT because it's not a natural fit, and we can find an RT in free agency or the draft, then it'll have been a good move.

I just wish we had someone to fit in at RT right now. 

He is 4 games into his career, its normal for rookies to adjust. The fact that he hasnt been great is hardly a reason for concern at this stage or panic moves.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:Its even more amazing how quick the "Caldwell is the greatest" posters come out to defend anything and everything this team does. In this very thread there are posters who supported JDR until his last year and even Gene Smith and fought for him until it was obvious they were wrong.

yep, pretty much....