Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:Thats essentially the Monroe trade in a nutshell

The pessimist view.

The optimist view says the team got a fourth and fifth round pick for a player they weren't re-signing.

It's funny how polarized this message board is. It's worse than Congress.

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/APMarkLong'>Mark Long ‏@<b>APMarkLong</b> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/385439042445537280' title="9:20 AM - 2 Oct 13">24m</a>

<p class="">Jaguars got a 4th and a 5th round pick for LT Eugene Monroe, who never quite fit in cut-blocking scheme

<p class=""> 

<p class=""><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/APMarkLong'>Mark Long ‏@<b>APMarkLong</b> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/385439346893287424' title="9:21 AM - 2 Oct 13">24m</a>

<p class="">Jaguars backups Cam Bradfield and Austin Pasztor are more willing to cut block in zone scheme

Quote:Yeah, and once they get that franchise QB they can throw him behind an offensive line that, if lucky, has 2 players who actually know how to play football, watch him get hit within 2 seconds on every play and then 3 years later wonder why he scrambles out of the pocket after 4 seconds when there's no pressure around him.

Guranteed to work.

Who knows how Pazstor will do, or if we'll sign some free agents to protect our QB?  I really doubt Caldwell said to himself "You know, I bet I can replace the RT position in the 4th round."  

As for wondering why he scrambles out of the pocket after 4 seconds... well, we aren't planning to draft Manziel! (I hope)

Not a big fan of this trade, but I don't think it's a sign of the second coming of Gene Smith yet.  Let's see what happens next year.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 12:48 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:TMD, 

You should know I've never been a huge Monroe fan.  I admitted he played better in 2011-12 than he did in 2009-10, but I've never really been prepared to list him in the top ten LTs.

I'm not trying to convince myself this was a smart move.

Even assuming we got better draft choice compensation, I'd be wary of anything that could potentially dissuade Bridgewater from declaring himself draft eligible and being available to us.  If monroe were truly a upper 3rd of the league type LT and the team jettisoned him, I would think Bridgewater would be a little apprehensive about coming here without protection.  On the flip side, when the team was in position to draft Fisher/Joeckel, one of my arguments in favor of drafting either guy was that they could eventually play LT and could grease the skids to trade Monroe if Caldwell so desired.

But I don't think Monroe is all that good.  Never have.  He seemingly has regressed this year.

Based upon this, it isn't surprising to me the draft choice compensation wasn't that good.

I'm betting by season's end, Ravens fans will be lukewarm on Monroe.

Would I have loved for the team to get a first or 2nd round pick for him?  Absolutely.

IMO, the entire OL has regressed this year....that tells me its not solely a "Monroe problem" but probably an OL coach issue.....and its not as if the last OL coach was good either....trending in the wrong direction...

Quote:That is correct and confirmed.  Am I happy with that?  No.  Be interested to see what the other tackle brought on the market. 

Who is the other tackle?

Quote:Man we couldn't get extra conditional picks at least or even future 5-7s.

These are better than conditional picks. We sent Anthony Smith to Green Bay for a CP and got nothing. We sent D'Anthony Smith for a CP and got nothing. Better to know, with absolute certainty, you are getting picks in return for your player.

Also, how is a fourth round pick not better than a sixth or seventh round pick?

Quote:This is what I was thinking originally.. Maybe this is a sign we're going to do some things this year in FA which we really need to do. 

The only reason David Caldwell would do this obviously is to collect more draft p;icks. Remember he emphasized building through the draft and using FA to fill in the gaps.

Ok Mad Dog, hypothetically, if you were a GM and wanted to trade for Monroe what would you give up for him?

Quote:IMO, the entire OL has regressed this year....that tells me its not solely a "Monroe problem" but probably an OL coach issue. 
Have you thought of this?  Monroe isn't very good in the zone blocking scheme, Rackley just isn't that good, Meester is old, Uche has had knee prolbems, and Joeckel is a rookie and better at LT.

Quote:Getting a 4th + a 5th for a player like Marcedes = good deal

getting a 4th + a 5th for a player like Monroe = [BLEEP]

May want to ease up on the "[BLEEP]" stuff, ok?

;

;

Quote:Caldwells going to be worse then smith and Harris combined. I hope I'm wrong but some of these moves are just mind blowing a 4th and 5th for top 10 LT ...... Smh

I can't take it anymore. You (and others) keep saying "top 10 LT". The guy in today's O-Zone says top 5!

I know we have plenty of pro scouts commenting here, but just throwing out some made up ranking doesn't make it so.

The only ranking that matters is Caldwell's. That's what he's paid to do. Your opinion counts a little less.

And just because you think a 4th and 5th is "mind blowing" would you show me a better offer made to Caldwell that he chose to turn down - just so he could blow your mind.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Who is the other tackle?

These are better than conditional picks. We sent Anthony Smith to Green Bay for a CP and got nothing. We sent D'Anthony Smith for a CP and got nothing. Better to know, with absolute certainty, you are getting picks in return for your player.

Also, how is a fourth round pick not better than a sixth or seventh round pick?

The only reason David Caldwell would do this obviously is to collect more draft p;icks. Remember he emphasized building through the draft and using FA to fill in the gaps.

every GM emphasizes that here, and every one of them drafts bums

i will never believe this team is headed in the right direction until we are actually at the right destination

this is an awful trade... dont give me the monroe was leaving crap... theres a thing called the franchise tag

was monroe elite? no... but he is HELL OF A LOT BETTER than a 4th and 5th round pick

JOKE

I think you are valueing solely the position and not taking into consideration the player, his contract or the teams situation and the new GM's vision. If consideration is given to all aspects the trade is win/win.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:<span style="background-color:rgb(245,245,245);">
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon'>Hays Carlyon@HaysCarlyon
</a><a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/385443880746745856'>2m</a>
</span><span style="background-color:rgb(245,245,245);">

Lewis says Joeckel looked comfortable as hell at left tackle this morning.

</span>
It is nice to hear that he hasn't forgotten how to play LT

lol jaguarswoman youre so funny

Quote:IMO, the entire OL has regressed this year....that tells me its not solely a "Monroe problem" but probably an OL coach issue. 

Key phrase in your post is "not solely a Monroe problem."

If Monroe has been inconsistent throughout his career, and after two years of improvement he regressed thus far this year, how much demand could there be for him?

Why WOULD a team pay top draft choice compensation for him?

There's no shortage of teams that could use a LT.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

You act like Marcedes is the worst player you have ever seen.  Would you give up a 4th and a 5th for Lewis?

Quote:Ok Mad Dog, hypothetically, if you were a GM and wanted to trade for Monroe what would you give up for him?

a 2nd + a 4th or 5th would be fair compensation, I'd think. 

Quote:Have you thought of this?  Monroe isn't very good in the zone blocking scheme, Rackley just isn't that good, Meester is old, Uche has had knee prolbems, and Joeckel is a rookie and better at LT.

I wasn't including Joeckel in that previous comment, and I agree that I think Joeckel should fare better at OLT than ORT. 

Quote:The pessimist view.

The optimist view says the team got a fourth and fifth round pick for a player they weren't re-signed

Yup. Can look at it 2 different ways.

We could probably trade the 4th and 5th pick for a 3rd if that makes people happy lol!

Quote:One 4th and one 5th rounder.
In other word; a pittance.

Quote:every GM emphasizes that here, and every one of them drafts bums

i will never believe this team is headed in the right direction until we are actually at the right destination

this is an awful trade... dont give me the monroe was leaving crap... theres a thing called the franchise tag

was monroe elite? no... but he is HELL OF A LOT BETTER than a 4th and 5th round pick

JOKE
Paying top 5 money for a LT who isn't in the top 10 and likely isn't even your best LT is silly especially considering he doesn't fit in zoneblocking. That's like Poz being the highest paid MLB