Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head Coach Candidates (Merged Threads)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-25-2021, 11:46 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 10:18 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Yeah, Trent Williams and Trey Hendrickson look awful  Laughing

Also, Hunter Henry has 9 TDs and 471 yards playing with a rookie. Thank god we didn't bring that scrub to help Trevor.

I didn't say they all looked bad. Trent Williams is a 2-3 year fix at best tho and is getting paid an insane amount of money. I do agree on the tight ends but also don't think they would be doing very well here anyway..

To the first player, so what? Two or three years with all pro play paid for with money we didn't/won't spend anyway? Sign me up.

To the second, the coaching was awful, but how much of the poor play of this team is because of the players' limitations? Why, again, wouldn't you do whatever you could to make sure the best supporting cast was in place to help the franchise QB? 

It's clear that Meyer was so ignorant of how to do his job that we wasted this entire season. I'm just glad Shad moved on.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-26-2021, 09:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 11:46 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I didn't say they all looked bad. Trent Williams is a 2-3 year fix at best tho and is getting paid an insane amount of money. I do agree on the tight ends but also don't think they would be doing very well here anyway..

To the first player, so what? Two or three years with all pro play paid for with money we didn't/won't spend anyway? Sign me up.

To the second, the coaching was awful, but how much of the poor play of this team is because of the players' limitations? Why, again, wouldn't you do whatever you could to make sure the best supporting cast was in place to help the franchise QB? 

It's clear that Meyer was so ignorant of how to do his job that we wasted this entire season. I'm just glad Shad moved on.

So true.  

Dave Caldwell, Gus Bradley, Doug Marrone, Tom Coughlin, Urban Meyer.   0-5.   How a successful person like Shad Khan can create such a dysfunctional football franchise is beyond me.  Very very hard to understand.  And depressing.

(12-26-2021, 09:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jagua...h-opening/

It greatly concerns me that we haven't fired Baalke yet, but are beginning the coaching search. Obviously, you don't want to miss out on 'the guy', but seems like firing Baalke means you could start the GM search too.

(12-26-2021, 10:36 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 09:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jagua...h-opening/

It greatly concerns me that we haven't fired Baalke yet, but are beginning the coaching search. Obviously, you don't want to miss out on 'the guy', but seems like firing Baalke means you could start the GM search too.

I wouldn't get too worked up. That article is:
  • mostly speculation from JLC about two of the most OBVIOUS names the Jags would interview - and
  • it says they intend to start searching next week - so
  • they could let Baalke go after today's game and have a clean slate
  • again - JLC - same guy who broke the big news (fabrication) that Coughlin would assume HC duties in August of 2017

Baalke isn’t staying my dude. 

I think they’re starting the interviews just to get a feel for the potential coaches.

Then they hire a GM and then have conversations with that GM about the coaches they interviewed.

(12-26-2021, 10:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 10:36 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: It greatly concerns me that we haven't fired Baalke yet, but are beginning the coaching search. Obviously, you don't want to miss out on 'the guy', but seems like firing Baalke means you could start the GM search too.
Baalke isn’t staying my dude. 

I think they’re starting the interviews just to get a feel for the potential coaches.

Then they hire a GM and then have conversations with that GM about the coaches they interviewed.

You better be right or else this "clown show" will just continue to take us further into oblivion.

(12-26-2021, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 10:36 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: It greatly concerns me that we haven't fired Baalke yet, but are beginning the coaching search. Obviously, you don't want to miss out on 'the guy', but seems like firing Baalke means you could start the GM search too.

I wouldn't get too worked up. That article is:
  • mostly speculation from JLC about two of the most OBVIOUS names the Jags would interview - and
  • again - JLC - same guy who broke the big news (fabrication) that Coughlin would assume HC duties in August of 2017

I would have thought Khan takes care of the GM position first. Ideally that would have involved him hiring outside help in that search. Then the new GM hires the coach. Instead they have coach before GM, and with Baalke helping with the coaching search? That either means he's staying (not likely, but a bad idea), or you have an outgoing guy giving input (not ideal IMO, if true). I feel like Khan just can't seem to get it right. Time will tell on this I guess.

(12-26-2021, 11:04 AM)domesticfelines Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I wouldn't get too worked up. That article is:

I would have thought Khan takes care of the GM position first. Ideally that would have involved him hiring outside help in that search. Then the new GM hires the coach. Instead they have coach before GM, and with Baalke helping with the coaching search? That either means he's staying (not likely, but a bad idea), or you have an outgoing guy giving input (not ideal IMO, if true). I feel like Khan just can't seem to get it right. Time will tell on this I guess.

Trying to figure out what Khan will do is a complete waste of time. He never does anything the the way that usually works, which is part of the reason we're in this situation. I have no idea why he has to go "off the beaten path" all the time. It's not like his way has ever worked. Most successful teams do hire a GM first and then the owner and GM get together and search for a new Head Coach. This way is proven to be the way that works most of the time. 

Sometimes when you have an owner that thinks they are right all the time, they refuse to do things the conventional way though. They want to be different, just so they can say they did things their own way. You'd think after so many failures though, some people would learn their lesson. Not everyone does though.

(12-26-2021, 11:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 11:04 AM)domesticfelines Wrote: I would have thought Khan takes care of the GM position first. Ideally that would have involved him hiring outside help in that search. Then the new GM hires the coach. Instead they have coach before GM, and with Baalke helping with the coaching search? That either means he's staying (not likely, but a bad idea), or you have an outgoing guy giving input (not ideal IMO, if true). I feel like Khan just can't seem to get it right. Time will tell on this I guess.

Trying to figure out what Khan will do is a complete waste of time. He never does anything the the way that usually works, which is part of the reason we're in this situation. I have no idea why he has to go "off the beaten path" all the time. It's not like his way has ever worked. Most successful teams do hire a GM first and then the owner and GM get together and search for a new Head Coach. This way is proven to be the way that works most of the time. 

Sometimes when you have an owner that thinks they are right all the time, they refuse to do things the conventional way though. They want to be different, just so they can say they did things their own way. You'd think after so many failures though, some people would learn their lesson. Not everyone does though.

What are you on about? Everything he's done has been by the book with his hires. They've just turned out to be bad hires.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

From the article: 

"Current general manager Trent Baalke is assisting the team with the early stages of this process, but it's not seen as very likely he remains in place in his current role should the Jaguars hire outside of their organization."

Kind of a weird sentence, but I think it means Baalke will be let go if they don't hire a coach from their current coaching staff.  

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 12:15 PM by Lucky2Last. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-26-2021, 11:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 11:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Trying to figure out what Khan will do is a complete waste of time. He never does anything the the way that usually works, which is part of the reason we're in this situation. I have no idea why he has to go "off the beaten path" all the time. It's not like his way has ever worked. Most successful teams do hire a GM first and then the owner and GM get together and search for a new Head Coach. This way is proven to be the way that works most of the time. 

What are you on about? Everything he's done has been by the book with his hires. They've just turned out to be bad hires.

He has never hired a GM and let him pick his coach. This is the way.

(12-26-2021, 12:13 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 11:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: What are you on about? Everything he's done has been by the book with his hires. They've just turned out to be bad hires.

Who do you think hired Gus?

(12-26-2021, 12:13 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 11:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: What are you on about? Everything he's done has been by the book with his hires. They've just turned out to be bad hires.

Really? 

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sport...840917007/

(12-26-2021, 12:20 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 12:13 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: He has never hired a GM and let him pick his coach. This is the way.

Who do you think hired Gus?

And Marrone?

Not that either is likely to be available, but if either Payton or Tomlin were let go, they jump to top of list.

Did a little more research on Pederson. Apparently he was never allowed to picks his assistants and it was his insistence on finally naming his own OC that was the breaking point. He wanted Press Taylor (Zac Taylor's brother) who is now an Offensive Asst with Indy. Pederson is said to be assembling a staff and that Press Taylor will be his OC wherever he goes. So Pederson likes Taylor, and obviously Reich does.

Makes you think that if he is assembling a staff and has picked an OC, he probably has a DC in mind, and that would be the end of Cullen.

I like that he took a year off and assessed his coaching.

So Pederson is my #1 - I think they chances of success are high and failure low. But he is from Washington State and said coaching at home would be appealing so if you want Pederson, root for Carroll to be retained.

Caldwell is a safe choice. But I think with him the chances of success is average and chance of failure low. One thing that put me off about Caldwell is age. He's 67 in a month. If it takes three years for us to be a contender he'll be 70. His sideline demeanor worries me. He always seemed to be in a stupor. And in his two stints as HC teams started off hot and then drifted to mediocre. I think Caldwell could get you to 9-7. I worry it would never go higher. Where I would like Caldwell is if you hire a first time HC, to put him in a VP position as a mentor.

(12-26-2021, 11:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 11:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Trying to figure out what Khan will do is a complete waste of time. He never does anything the the way that usually works, which is part of the reason we're in this situation. I have no idea why he has to go "off the beaten path" all the time. It's not like his way has ever worked. Most successful teams do hire a GM first and then the owner and GM get together and search for a new Head Coach. This way is proven to be the way that works most of the time. 

He's hired bad re-treads (Mularkey and Marrone) that he kept around too long. He hired a "football guy" who lost touch with the modern NFL and how to deal with grown men (Coughlin) and then hired a guy with absolutely no NFL experience to be the Head Coach (Meyer) and then promoted a GM from within this losing franchise who basically destroyed a good 49'ers team with his bad moves (Baalke) when he was their GM. They were all bad hires, because he refused to see obvious red flags and he wanted to do things his way.

(12-26-2021, 01:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

He's hired bad re-treads (Mularkey and Marrone) that he kept around too long. He hired a "football guy" who lost touch with the modern NFL and how to deal with grown men (Coughlin) and then hired a guy with absolutely no NFL experience to be the Head Coach (Meyer) and then promoted a GM from within this losing franchise who basically destroyed a good 49'ers team with his bad moves (Baalke) when he was their GM. They were all bad hires, because he refused to see obvious red flags and he wanted to do things his way.

Lol, nothing there is out of the ordinary. You acted like Khan did things that have never been done before, but pretty much everything you said was a By The Book football operation. Just because the choices were bad doesn't make the process wrong.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 01:18 PM by Lucky2Last. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-26-2021, 12:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 12:13 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: He has never hired a GM and let him pick his coach. This is the way.

Really? 

(12-26-2021, 12:20 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Who do you think hired Gus?

And Marrone?

When Caldwell got here, did he clean house and get a new staff? Or did he get stuck with the last regime as a holdover? Shad admits that Caldwell was insistent he clean house, so why did he wait a year? Could it be that our owner was too involved early on? I think Dave was too young and too weak to stand up for himself, and I strongly suspect the same with Bradley hiring. It's hard to take any "after the fact" commentary as gospel truth, so that link doesn't mean much. What about the Marrone hiring? Did Dave have full say on that? Or was it Coughlin? We don't know. 

What we do know, is that there hasn't been a clean slate since Khan got here. Fire everyone. Hire a quality GM, then get out of the way.

And I don't mean that we can't keep a few assistant coaches. I'd be fine with keeping Cullen or McCardell (when he was here).

However, I do want a GM/Coach tandem that are tied at the hip. Win, or you're both gone. This is the best way to run an NFL franchise, imo. I don't think you should ever have leadership that remains when you clean out the previous regime unless the GM has clearly established himself.

(12-26-2021, 01:14 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 12:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Really? 

And Marrone?

When Caldwell got here, did he clean house and get a new staff? Or did he get stuck with the last regime as a holdover? Shad admits that Caldwell was insistent he clean house, so why did he wait a year? Could it be that our owner was too involved early on? I think Dave was too young and too weak to stand up for himself, and I strongly suspect the same with Bradley hiring. It's hard to take any "after the fact" commentary as gospel truth, so that link doesn't mean much. What about the Marrone hiring? Did Dave have full say on that? Or was it Coughlin? We don't know. 

What we do know, is that there hasn't been a clean slate since Khan got here. Fire everyone. Hire a quality GM, then get out of the way.

Yes, year 1 was Smith/Mularkey. Year 2 he hired DC who brought in Gus. You misremember how it went. As for Marrone, they interviewed 6 guys for the job before Caldwell hired him and that took place before the Coughlin hire.

Jags got 7 interviews lined up and Baalke is sitting in on all of them…..

Dilla seems to think if it’s Caldwell or Pederson, they will give Baalke the boot.