Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:Has it been announced yet?

the proverbial "ham sandwich". 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Depends on what we can get on a trade back.  Im not sold he is the next coming of Peyton Manning like most.  Im also not sold that he will be the best QB out of this class when its all said and done.  Do I think he will be good?  Yes  Would I be mad if we drafted him? No
Well atleast this makes sense.

So you would pass on the QB that most are saying is the 2nd highest rated QB in the last 10 years behind Luck... take another tackle and gamble on somone like Manziel, Boyd, or Murray?

Quote:At least they should be high fourth and fifth round picks...

...It's not like we traded with the superbowl champs or anything :thumbsup:

Well they are 2-2 at the moment and just lost to Buffalo

;

;

Quote:I'm confused. Is this a post from Mark Long and an opinion from flgators or is it all from Long?

And the conclusion doesn't seem particularly logical. Pure speculation.

"Did not expect to hear anyone call Eugene Monroe soft, but it happened. He just wasn't mean & physical enough for zone scheme"

This is from Long, I'm not sure where the draft trade speculation came from.

Quote:the proverbial "ham sandwich". 

So, in your perfect world, you would have held out unil someone offered a 2nd and 5th for Monroe and if they didn't, you would have franchised him next year and kept LJ at RT?

I'm as unhappy with the compensation that we got for Eugene as anyone...

However, take a step back and look at what Dave Caldwell is doing and the big picture becomes very obvious.  He's completely blowing up this team of salary.  He's completely cleaning the slate before a rebuild.  The players that haven't been released or dealt yet were given an early trial run to see whether they could be the building blocks.  So far no veteran has demonstrated they want to be part of the new team except maybe Cecil.

Poz, Mincey, MJD, Babin, and Marcedes are next to meet the Turk.  I doubt any of them will be on the team on opening day next season.  What we will see is 30-40 million dollars in free agency spending, Teddy Bridgewater and about a dozen other draft picks on the roster.  This is identical to an NBA rebuild.  Clear out salary for free agency, tank for the top player in the draft, accumulate draft picks.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Correct. 

Monroe would't willingly re-sign with the Jags after this season so instead of getting nothing (or maybe a 4th rd comp pick?) we get a 4th and 5th rounder. Plus we get the starting XP for Joekel at LT for 12 games. Its win-win-win.

This is an ignorant statement. 

Had the Jags simply let Monroe leave via FA, another team would pretty much have had to give him a max long term deal to acquire his services, as there would be several suitors, given you typically don't find that combo of quality/ youth on the UFA market. 

Since compensatory picks are decided by salary, the Jags would have likely received MIMIMUM of one 3rd rounder (3rd round picks being the highest possible comp pick allocated) and possibly 2 of those had they let him walk. 

Not sure where you are coming up with the meager lone 4th round comp pick....

It's been said a good half dozen times, most recently by jagwired.

The man was walking in 12 games.  His contract is up, we were unlikely to re-sign him.  This is the best deal we could get.  We got 2 mid round picks instead of nothing.

Despite what the detractors are saying, this is "selling high".  We would get nothing for Eugene at the end of this season except a possible compensatory, at the judgement of the NFL.  I'd also like to add, this makes the team ever so slightly worse for the benefit of the posters I call "the ultimate losers," who want the Jags to lose more to secure a better draft spot.

If the plan was to ditch Monroe in the offseason then it’s 2 potential starters for nothing really, just don’t have him for this season (does that really matter?)

Quote:I'm as unhappy with the compensation that we got for Eugene as anyone...

However, take a step back and look at what Dave Caldwell is doing and the big picture becomes very obvious. He's completely blowing up this team of salary. He's completely cleaning the slate before a rebuild. The players that haven't been released or dealt yet were given an early trial run to see whether they could be the building blocks. So far no veteran has demonstrated they want to be part of the new team except maybe Cecil.

Poz, Mincey, MJD, Babin, and Marcedes are next to meet the Turk. I doubt any of them will be on the team on opening day next season. What we will see is 30-40 million dollars in free agency spending, Teddy Bridgewater and about a dozen other draft picks on the roster. This is identical to an NBA rebuild. Clear out salary for free agency, tank for the top player in the draft, accumulate draft picks.

Caldwell just traded a Premium LT because he essentially didn't want to pay him. What makes you think he's going to flip the switch and pull out the checkbook next year?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:So, in your perfect world, you would have held out unil someone offered a 2nd and 5th for Monroe and if they didn't, you would have franchised him next year and kept LJ at RT?

Thats probably what I would have done, yes. Or, swapped Joeckel to LT and played Monroe at RT if Joeckel was clearly the plan for the future at LT. (until Monroe was finally dealt). 

Quote:"Did not expect to hear anyone call Eugene Monroe soft, but it happened. He just wasn't mean & physical enough for zone scheme"

This is from Long, I'm not sure where the draft trade speculation came from.

A scenario flgators dreamed up while watching footage of Manziel and comparing him to Fran Tarkenton.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I'm as unhappy with the compensation that we got for Eugene as anyone...

However, take a step back and look at what Dave Caldwell is doing and the big picture becomes very obvious.  He's completely blowing up this team of salary.  He's completely cleaning the slate before a rebuild.  The players that haven't been released or dealt yet were given an early trial run to see whether they could be the building blocks.  So far no veteran has demonstrated they want to be part of the new team except maybe Cecil.

Poz, Mincey, MJD, Babin, and Marcedes are next to meet the Turk.  I doubt any of them will be on the team on opening day next season.  What we will see is 30-40 million dollars in free agency spending, Teddy Bridgewater and about a dozen other draft picks on the roster.  This is identical to an NBA rebuild.  Clear out salary for free agency, tank for the top player in the draft, accumulate draft picks.
Agree with all of this, its smart though!

Quote:Well they are 2-2 at the moment and just lost to Buffalo
Sooo.... 2-14 then?

Quote:Trade up for what. We will be drafting 1st. 

I didn't realize your first pick is the only one you can trade up.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I'm just flabbergasted that all we could get was a 4th and a 5th rounder.  If that was the best deal out there, fine.  But something is not right when Richardson gets a 1, Percy Harvin gets a 1, and Eugene Monroe gets a freaking 4th and 5th.

Quote:This is an ignorant statement. 

Had the Jags simply let Monroe leave via FA, another team would pretty much have had to give him a max long term deal to acquire his services, as there would be several suitors, given you typically don't find that combo of quality/ youth on the UFA market. 

Since compensatory picks are decided by salary, the Jags would have likely received MIMIMUM of one 3rd rounder and possibly 2 of those had they let him walk. 

Not sure where you are coming up with the meager lone 4th round comp pick....

With all due respect, I find it hard to believe that you know more than a rookie GM with the following resume. I am sure all of the options you mentioned were looked at with a fine toothed comb.

Carolina Panthers<span>[edit]</span>
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-familyConfusedans-serif;font-size:13px;">Caldwell began his career as a scouting assistant for the Carolina Panthers from 1996 to 1997.<sup>[3]</sup>

Indianapolis Colts<span>[edit]</span>
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-familyConfusedans-serif;font-size:13px;">Caldwell spent ten years (1998–2007) with the Indianapolis Colts as an area scout. He was a member of the staff when the team won Super Bowl XLI in 2006.<sup>[3]</sup>

Atlanta Falcons<span>[edit]</span>
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-familyConfusedans-serif;font-size:13px;">Caldwell served as Director of College Scouting for the Atlanta Falcons from 2008 to 2011. He was promoted to Director of Player Personnel in 2012.<sup>[3]</sup>

Quote:Thats probably what I would have done, yes. Or, swapped Joeckel to LT and played Monroe at RT if Joeckel was clearly the plan for the future at LT. (until Monroe was finally dealt).

Essentially what the Chiefs did with Brandon Albert.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:If the plan was to ditch Monroe in the offseason then it’s 2 potential starters for nothing really, just don’t have him for this season (does that really matter?)

Precisely.  This isn't hard to understand.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Caldwell just traded a Premium LT because he essentially didn't want to pay him. What makes you think he's going to flip the switch and pull out the checkbook next year?
 (emphasis added)

Based upon what?

What makes him a premium LT?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!