Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:Caldwell just traded a Premium LT because he essentially didn't want to pay him. What makes you think he's going to flip the switch and pull out the checkbook next year?
Stop being stubborn, it was just as much Monroe not wanting to return as well. His quotes earlier said that. If Monroe was totally buying in to the rebuild and the new scheme (which he clearly wasn't) then maybe he would still be here and working toward an extension. It just didn't work out that happens too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Caldwell just traded a Premium LT because he essentially didn't want to pay him. What makes you think he's going to flip the switch and pull out the checkbook next year?
Yeah, if you are expecting big time FA spending then you will be disappointed.  I expect the jags to be slightly more active in FA than last offseason, but not much.  And I would be floored if they got involved with the primo guys ($20M+ gtd).

Quote:This is an ignorant statement. 

Had the Jags simply let Monroe leave via FA, another team would pretty much have had to give him a max long term deal to acquire his services, as there would be several suitors, given you typically don't find that combo of quality/ youth on the UFA market. 

Since compensatory picks are decided by salary, the Jags would have likely received MIMIMUM of one 3rd rounder (3rd round picks being the highest possible comp pick allocated) and possibly 2 of those had they let him walk. 

Not sure where you are coming up with the meager lone 4th round comp pick....

I originally believed we'd get a good compensatory pick for Eugene if we let him walk, but someone posted on the other thread which made sense.

I doubt we'd get anything because the Jags are going to be major players in free agency next season.  We will be taking in much more salary than Eugene will make.

Quote:This is an ignorant statement. 

Had the Jags simply let Monroe leave via FA, another team would pretty much have had to give him a max long term deal to acquire his services, as there would be several suitors, given you typically don't find that combo of quality/ youth on the UFA market. 

Since compensatory picks are decided by salary, the Jags would have likely received MIMIMUM of one 3rd rounder (3rd round picks being the highest possible comp pick allocated) and possibly 2 of those had they let him walk. 

Not sure where you are coming up with the meager lone 4th round comp pick....

What precedent is there for what you just wrote? Two third round picks?? Laughing

;

;

Quote:I'm just flabbergasted that all we could get was a 4th and a 5th rounder.  If that was the best deal out there, fine.  But something is not right when Richardson gets a 1, Percy Harvin gets a 1, and Eugene Monroe gets a freaking 4th and 5th.

Thats right....forgot about Harvin.....and wasn't he also heading into the final year of his contract?....

Quote:Thats probably what I would have done, yes. Or, swapped Joeckel to LT and played Monroe at RT if Joeckel was clearly the plan for the future at LT. (until Monroe was finally dealt). 

Just so I am clear, you franchise a LT and move him to RT and let him walk the following year unless you are willing to pay a RT a max LT contract?

The Jags now have the most draft picks we’ve had since 2007.

Quote:I'm just flabbergasted that all we could get was a 4th and a 5th rounder.  If that was the best deal out there, fine.  But something is not right when Richardson gets a 1, Percy Harvin gets a 1, and Eugene Monroe gets a freaking 4th and 5th.
Trich 3 more years at sub 3 mil salary. The Browns are on the hook for all of his signing bonus money still.

Percy Harvin signed through 2018.

Monroe 12 games until FA.

There's your difference...and it's a huuuuge difference.

Quote:It's been said a good half dozen times, most recently by jagwired.

The man was walking in 12 games.  His contract is up, we were unlikely to re-sign him.  This is the best deal we could get.  We got 2 mid round picks instead of nothing.

Despite what the detractors are saying, this is "selling high".  We would get nothing for Eugene at the end of this season except a possible compensatory, at the judgement of the NFL.  I'd also like to add, this makes the team ever so slightly worse for the benefit of the posters I call "the ultimate losers," who want the Jags to lose more to secure a better draft spot.

Pretty much sums it all up.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Sooo.... 2-14 then?

Oh. Is that how this game works?

;

;

Quote:The Jags now have the most draft picks we’ve had since 2007.

How many extras in the top 3 rounds? 

So in essence they have a bunch of extra picks of later rounders who have statistically a low chance to ever become anything of substance anyway....

Because we are forced to by league rules.

Quote:I'm as unhappy with the compensation that we got for Eugene as anyone...

However, take a step back and look at what Dave Caldwell is doing and the big picture becomes very obvious.  He's completely blowing up this team of salary.  He's completely cleaning the slate before a rebuild.  The players that haven't been released or dealt yet were given an early trial run to see whether they could be the building blocks.  So far no veteran has demonstrated they want to be part of the new team except maybe Cecil.

Poz, Mincey, MJD, Babin, and Marcedes are next to meet the Turk.  I doubt any of them will be on the team on opening day next season.  What we will see is 30-40 million dollars in free agency spending, Teddy Bridgewater and about a dozen other draft picks on the roster.  This is identical to an NBA rebuild.  Clear out salary for free agency, tank for the top player in the draft, accumulate draft picks.

Good post. Bill Simmons recently talked about how the Browns were emulating the NBA regarding the Browns trade of Richardson.

Of course, then the Browns screw up and win the next two games!

I don't think the jaguars will be winning the next two games.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Trich 3 more years at sub 3 mil salary. The Browns are on the hook for all of his signing bonus money still.

Bazinga! 

This should put an end to the argument.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM by Jinjo.)

This trade value seems to be about right. As people have mentioned Miami was willing to give up a 3rd for Albert, who is better than Monroe. Monroe was the 15th rated OT and Albert was the 7th last year. They both were in similar situations (1 year left on the contract) so I think we got the best deal the market had to offer.

Anyone who is saying "Oh we traded Monroe for a 4th and 5th round pick who might not even be good", that is not correct. We traded 12 weeks of Monroe for those picks. He wasnt coming back. Thats the central thing people who are complaining fail to realize. It seems like he didnt want to, and even if thats not the case, Caldwell was going to let him hit FA. Everyone would have been more upset to see him walk for free. 

You cant make players stay if they dont want to, even if you slap the franchise tag on him you just waste 10M in cap space in a year when you aren't realistically challenging for anything. Then we go through this whole process of trying to offload him again. 

Quote:no im being real... this team, this franchise, does not deserve to be in the NFL

So why are you wasting time on a team that shouldn't be in the NFL? Again, 31 other teams you can root for.

Quote: (emphasis added)

Based upon what?

What makes him a premium LT?

Why do you keep getting hung up on that? Top 15 LT is that better? I believe we can agree on this statement.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Why do you keep getting hung up on that? Top 15 LT is that better? I believe we can agree on this statement.

15 puts him dead in the middle.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Trich 3 more years at sub 3 mil salary. The Browns are on the hook for all of his signing bonus money still.

Harvin only had 1 year left when he was traded so being signed through 2018 is irrelevant in his case.  And I'm not saying Monroe should have garnered as much as those guys.  I'm saying a 2nd rounder would have been more like it when looking at relative value.

I don't think you guys realize what a long shot it is to find even a 4 year starter in the fourth and fifth rounds.

Why do you think he didn't want to pay him? Possibly because they don't think he is that good.