Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head Coach Candidates (Merged Threads)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-13-2022, 07:41 PM)Brett Wrote: https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...03488?s=20

Woohoo! But tar and feather Demetrius if he's proven a false prophet.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

I'm guessing the plan is to hire a coach in the playoffs or a decision would be made this week. That hopefully means Baalke is also gone but who knows.

Jags will probably wait and refuse to fire Baalke and be forced to hire an unknown coach and continue the failures another 4 years.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(01-13-2022, 04:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Wonder why the tinhorns cut ways already with their coach. I thought he was doing respectively well considering O'Brien completely butchered that team and Watson was out of the picture all year. Mills did a good job as a rookie QB. They were competitive in a lot of games.

Man, what is going on this year in the NFL? Flores was a head scratcher. This is an even bigger head scratcher.

(01-13-2022, 04:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Shad they are going after Brian Flores

Ahhh. Makes sense.

I heard Jerod Mayo.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 08:00 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-13-2022, 07:57 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 04:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Wonder why the tinhorns cut ways already with their coach. I thought he was doing respectively well considering O'Brien completely butchered that team and Watson was out of the picture all year. Mills did a good job as a rookie QB. They were competitive in a lot of games.

Man, what is going on this year in the NFL? Flores was a head scratcher. This is an even bigger head scratcher.

Ahhh. Makes sense.

I heard Jerod Mayo.

Ian Rap reported that but there has been Rumors of Flores as well

(01-13-2022, 07:57 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Ahhh. Makes sense.

I heard Jerod Mayo.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texan...id-culley/

(01-13-2022, 07:54 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I'm guessing the plan is to hire a coach in the playoffs or a decision would be made this week. That hopefully means Baalke is also gone but who knows.

Jags will probably wait and refuse to fire Baalke and be forced to hire an unknown coach and continue the failures another 4 years.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
I think for once in his NFL life, Shad is doing his due diligence.

No need to rush into this because if he gets this wrong, it won’t be pretty.

(01-13-2022, 03:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 02:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It wasn't top 5.  They needed a better QB.

That's like saying Winston was a top 5 QB that year because of his yards and TD number but overlook his Int number.  Blake Bortles was the 2nd best QB in 2015
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/vi...e/dir/desc

Per usual. You're missing the point. The 49ers didn't have a top 5 QB and yet they 100% were a top 5 offense that season. You don't need a top 5 QB to have a top 5 offense.

(01-13-2022, 03:32 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 03:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: No, you're missing the point. That's right,  you don't need a top 5 QB to have a top 5 offense.   If he threw say 60 INTs but they were top 5 in yardage you still think they had a top 5 offense?  It doesn't matter to you how many times the offense/QB turns the ball over?

Why isnt it?  All you are doing is looking at a stat

What the....  You're talking about a single player.  Did I say Winston was a top 5 QB?  You realize there's a difference between a player and a team.

What goofy [BLEEP] logic.

Or maybe he had a top 5 offense despite Winston?

You are the one who is missing the point.  You are being inconsistent in your criteria.  According to you:

If a quaterback is top 5 in yards but is the worst in interceptions, he's a bad quarterback.

However:

If a team is top 5 in yards but is the worst team in interceptions, it's a great offense.

(01-13-2022, 02:08 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 01:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's not a top 5 offense when your QB throws 30 Ints

So, Leftwich threw the ball?

Winston has always been turnover prone.  Always.

How is it not a top 5 offense when they statistically rank in the top 5?

(01-13-2022, 01:32 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Working the offense. As an assistant HC he'd be involved in all phases of the game.

Oh come on now.

(01-13-2022, 03:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 02:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It wasn't top 5.  They needed a better QB.

That's like saying Winston was a top 5 QB that year because of his yards and TD number but overlook his Int number.  Blake Bortles was the 2nd best QB in 2015
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/vi...e/dir/desc

Per usual. You're missing the point. The 49ers didn't have a top 5 QB and yet they 100% were a top 5 offense that season. You don't need a top 5 QB to have a top 5 offense.

Winston not only had his career high in interceptions under Leftwich, but it was over double the number he averaged in his prior four years.

(01-13-2022, 10:07 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 03:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/vi...e/dir/desc

(01-13-2022, 03:32 PM)RicoTx Wrote: What the....  You're talking about a single player.  Did I say Winston was a top 5 QB?  You realize there's a difference between a player and a team.

What goofy [BLEEP] logic.

Or maybe he had a top 5 offense despite Winston?

You are the one who is missing the point.  You are being inconsistent in your criteria.  According to you:

If a quaterback is top 5 in yards but is the worst in interceptions, he's a bad quarterback.

However:

If a team is top 5 in yards but is the worst team in interceptions, it's a great offense.

The point is Leftwich made lemonade out of lemons. He managed to have a decent offense by accentuating Winston's deep ball prowess. The interceptions are par for the course with famous Jameis.

(01-13-2022, 03:55 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 03:46 PM)scottyg Wrote: Assistant HC is a glorified title that allows coaches to pay experienced staffers more money.  It is NOT a promotion from one of the coordinator positions and would not be allowed to happen without compensation, likely in the form of draft picks.
Seriously, can anyone recall any time ever where an under contract OC or DC was poached from another team in a lateral move?  It's not going to happen.

I think it would count. There is a lot of leeway with what counts as a blockable promotion or not. For example, Schotty was OC for Seattle last year but we got him by promoting him to the made up title of passing game coordinator. Pretty en vogue thing to do nowadays. I think it'd be pretty easy to argue assistant HC is above OC.

I agree. And it just doesn't make sense to me to have the "apprentice" making the decisions and the mentor in the background. Game time decisions don't always allow time for a 1 on 1 session; let the experienced coach make the calls and coordinate/train with the assistant HC as time permits.

For the record, I don't think Leftwich would take that arrangement. I'm just saying what I would prefer. We really need an experienced HC to straighten things up and establish some semblance of order right now. It's just not an entry level situation.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-13-2022, 10:42 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 03:55 PM)Upper Wrote: I think it would count. There is a lot of leeway with what counts as a blockable promotion or not. For example, Schotty was OC for Seattle last year but we got him by promoting him to the made up title of passing game coordinator. Pretty en vogue thing to do nowadays. I think it'd be pretty easy to argue assistant HC is above OC.

I agree. And it just doesn't make sense to me to have the "apprentice" making the decisions and the mentor in the background. Game time decisions don't always allow time for a 1 on 1 session; let the experienced coach make the calls and coordinate/train with the assistant HC as time permits.

For the record, I don't think Leftwich would take that arrangement. I'm just saying what I would prefer. We really need an experienced HC to straighten things up and establish some semblance of order right now. It's just not an entry level situation.

And we also don't need a HC that is retiring within the next couple of years.

(01-13-2022, 10:55 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:42 PM)Sibelius Wrote: I agree. And it just doesn't make sense to me to have the "apprentice" making the decisions and the mentor in the background. Game time decisions don't always allow time for a 1 on 1 session; let the experienced coach make the calls and coordinate/train with the assistant HC as time permits.

And we also don't need a HC that is retiring within the next couple of years.

That would work just fine if he got the situation stabilized, and had developed a young assistant HC like Leftwich.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-13-2022, 11:06 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:55 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: And we also don't need a HC that is retiring within the next couple of years.

That would work just fine if he got the situation stabilized, and had developed a young assistant HC like Leftwich.

Stop with the Leftwich as Asst HC stuff. That isn't happening.

I wouldn't leave the Bucs as OC to come be the Asst HC of the Jaguars. Lemme know when the HC spot opens.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 08:31 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yes, leftwitch is not going to take a parallel job or move down. He wants to be a head coach or why would he change?

I think Leftwich may make a good HC eventually but there's a bit of risk with bringing him in. Shad can't afford another miss. Need to get someone with previous experience regardless of who the GM is.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 09:20 AM by Protozoa. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-13-2022, 10:19 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 02:08 PM)RicoTx Wrote: So, Leftwich threw the ball?

Winston has always been turnover prone.  Always.

How is it not a top 5 offense when they statistically rank in the top 5?

Oh come on now.

(01-13-2022, 03:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/vi...e/dir/desc

Winston not only had his career high in interceptions under Leftwich, but it was over double the number he averaged in his prior four years.

Every QB that played for BA threw for a record number of interceptions the first year they played for him except Brady.

Also what I find funny about this argument is you're basically putting blame on Leftwich for Winston's inability to read defenses but then give Brady all of the credit for what he's done with the Bucs.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(01-14-2022, 09:03 AM)Protozoa Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:19 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Winston not only had his career high in interceptions under Leftwich, but it was over double the number he averaged in his prior four years.

Every QB that played for BA threw for a record number of interceptions the first year they played for him except Brady.

Also what I find funny about this argument is you're basically putting blame on Leftwich for Winston's inability to read defenses but then give Brady all of the credit for what he's done with the Bucs.

This is true.  And Brady was on pace to play poorly until Byron created a fusion of Brady's NE offense and Arians' system to better suit him and it led them to the Super Bowl.

Players and coaches both have a huge impact on the outcome.  Regardless, Byron has the qualities you look for in a HC by all accounts.  He commands the room, and people want to play for him.  He already has a plan.

There are a lot of good options and a lot of bad options for our opening, but I'm leaning Byron.

(01-13-2022, 04:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Shad they are going after Brian Flores

Ahhh. Makes sense.

I heard they are targeting Jerod Mayo...they are so desperate to be NE south. Mayo may or may not be a decent coach, but I thought Culley was working out with the turd of a hand he was dealt. I fully expected them to be on the clock at season's end, goes to show I ain't the best prognosticator.

(01-14-2022, 09:03 AM)Protozoa Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:19 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Winston not only had his career high in interceptions under Leftwich, but it was over double the number he averaged in his prior four years.

A top 5 offense isn't dictated by their QB. Does he play a part? Certainly. A big part. But an offense is generally ranked by the yards they gained and the points they scored. 

So was Winston a top 5 QB? No. But did the offense move the ball and produce points? They certainly did.... at a top 5 rate.

(01-14-2022, 08:47 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I think Leftwich may make a good HC eventually but there's a bit of risk with bringing him in. Shad can't afford another miss. Need to get someone with previous experience regardless of who the GM is.

I don't get this.  So there's no risk bringing in someone with previous experience?  If a guy is a good coaching candidate, he's a good coaching candidate.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]