Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head Coach Candidates (Merged Threads)

(01-14-2022, 04:39 PM)Upper Wrote: Stop the rest of the search and go all in on Byron please. Don't let another team get him while we are being thorough for the sake of it.

100% agree.  Only other name I'd want out there is Moore, but if they are sold on Byron open up the checkbook.

Would they or could they 'announce' it with the Bucs still in the playoffs?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-14-2022, 04:54 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 04:39 PM)Upper Wrote: Stop the rest of the search and go all in on Byron please. Don't let another team get him while we are being thorough for the sake of it.

100% agree.  Only other name I'd want out there is Moore, but if they are sold on Byron open up the checkbook.

I think some of these are handshake deals with coaches in the playoffs. 

I think Shannahan to the 49ers was a "done deal" but they couldn't make it official because he was in the SB. 

So let's go Eagles!

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 05:04 PM by Upper.)

Shipley gave a couple other examples of guys who were hired all but officially beforehand. The public even knew about a lot of the staff that was being put together and stuff before it could be made official also.

McDaniels was my first choice, kinda surprised we never spoke to him considering how much Shad loves the Patriots way. Of the candidates we interviewed, Moore was my favorite followed closely by Byron. I will be quite happy if we wind up with Leftwich.

I do wish we knew more about what Adrian Wilson was like as a front office guy, but I'll trust it.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 05:08 PM by RicoTx.)

(01-14-2022, 04:39 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 12:50 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I couldn't disagree more.  Just because a guy has previous experience doesn't make him any more qualified for this opening.  I'd sure hate to blow an opportunity on the next great young coach just because we're looking for somebody that has prior coaching experience.  Most of your recent quality hires have been young.  I listed them somewhere.

Well we can agree to disagree. Under normal circumstances, I'd say taking a risk on an up and coming coordinator would be worth the risk but in the Jags case, they have to get it right. Getting someone with previous HC experience, who's proven they can be successful in the past is less of a risk than a hot name who has never been in that position before. Especially a pretty young guy like Leftwich.

LaFleur  42
McVay   35
Kingsbury  42
Taylor  38
Shanahan  42
Staley  39
Sirriani 40

And those are their ages now...not when they started.  None had HC experience.  All except Staley are in the playoffs this year, and the Chargers missed by a game.

I'd say they got it 'right'.

(01-14-2022, 05:01 PM)Upper Wrote: Shipley gave a couple other examples of guys who were hired all but officially beforehand. The public even knew about a lot of the staff that was being put together and stuff before it could be made official also.

(01-14-2022, 04:54 PM)RicoTx Wrote: 100% agree.  Only other name I'd want out there is Moore, but if they are sold on Byron open up the checkbook.

McDaniels was my first choice, kinda surprised we never spoke to him considering how much Shad loves the Patriots way. Of the candidates we interviewed, Moore was my favorite followed closely by Byron. I will be quite happy if we wind up with Leftwich.

I do wish we knew more about what Adrian Wilson was like as a front office guy, but I'll trust it.

I just don't see him going anywhere.  He's always been considered the 'heir apparent' to Darth.

(01-14-2022, 05:06 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I just don't see him going anywhere.  He's always been considered the 'heir apparent' to Darth.

Lol I thought you were talking about Adrian Wilson. I was real confused who Darth was supposed to mean in relation.

(01-14-2022, 01:36 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 12:41 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: There's always a risk but you have to minimize it if you can, especially in this case. A candidate with previous HC experience is just a safer bet IMO.

Prior coaching experience at LOSING. the best you can get is a mediocre coach or he would not be out there to be recycled. At least with getting a new up and coming offensive genius there is a blank slate. You could have something great there and not mediocre.

Yeah, what a bunch of morons the Pats are for hiring Belichick. Didn't anyone tell them if a guy has been a head coach before he's garbage? Same for the Giants when they hired Coughlin. I bet those teams are sorry, now!

They could have saved a ton of embarrassment if they'd have just sought out your expertise.

I get people worrying how much of the bucs offence is down to leftwich, but to me that’s not what makes this a good/bad hire, the main thing what gives me confidence is how he’s commanded respect of some
Of the biggest egos in the sport that in its self shows what a great leader he is which is more important than his play calling. just been around Brady and others and passing on to our younger players how they conduct themselves would be a huge plus to this franchise

I'd be more than happy to see Byron Leftwich as the new Head Coach and Adrian Wilson as GM. Anything is better than Trent Baalke and who ever.

Moore and Leftwich both really interest me. I’d be happy with either. I feel like they’d bring some energy to the franchise.

There’s an element of risk to every single HC hire. I’d rather try to hit the jackpot, with one of those guys personally

The Buccaneers showed a lot of balance the past few years under Leftwich. I like his overall approach. Every position seems to be involved. They showed that they can change it up offensively if they have to adjustment wise.

Again, the main concern is just the overall talent level. Obviously he's coming over from Tampa Bay to coach Jacksonville. That's a huge leap in talent difference. With that said. I think he'll work with Lawrence. Be heavily involved in the QB room with him. Be joined at the hip with him to incorporate things that he likes to make him comfortable.

The key is what happens with his staff. He's young. How much of a network does he have in the NFL? Who will be his assistants? Who will be his defensive and special teams guys? Is he going to coach the team and call the offense on his own?

It's a lot of interesting aspects to his potential hire. It's exciting though. I like it more than O'Brien and any of the defensive minds. I would have preferred Pederson or Caldwell. Just because of the history they have shown. However, Leftwich would be a good trending type of hire. He's offensive minded. This team clearly needs somebody like that for Lawrence's sake.

Let's just hope Baalke or whomever Leftwich could maybe hire on as his own General Manager can figure out the personnel and get this kid some help on the outside.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I agree we do need "energy" and not an existing rejected coach with "experience"
I'm good with Byron and for God's sake...Fire baalke!
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-14-2022, 05:06 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 04:39 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Well we can agree to disagree. Under normal circumstances, I'd say taking a risk on an up and coming coordinator would be worth the risk but in the Jags case, they have to get it right. Getting someone with previous HC experience, who's proven they can be successful in the past is less of a risk than a hot name who has never been in that position before. Especially a pretty young guy like Leftwich.

LaFleur  42
McVay   35
Kingsbury  42
Taylor  38
Shanahan  42
Staley  39
Sirriani 40

And those are their ages now...not when they started.  None had HC experience.  All except Staley are in the playoffs this year, and the Chargers missed by a game.

You're missing the point. They could bring in Leftwich and he could be a HOF head coach. I think he ultimately will be a good coach. But you also have to acknowledge there's a chance he could flame out. This should especially ring true for Jags fans who witnessed the Gus Bradley era.

If it hadn't been for the previous decade+ of ineptitude on the field, then it would not be a big deal to give an unproven coordinator a try. But Shad has to get it right. Hiring another Bradley could doom this franchise's future in Jacksonville.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-14-2022, 06:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 05:06 PM)RicoTx Wrote: LaFleur  42
McVay   35
Kingsbury  42
Taylor  38
Shanahan  42
Staley  39
Sirriani 40

You're missing the point. They could bring in Leftwich and he could be a HOF head coach. I think he ultimately will be a good coach. But you also have to acknowledge there's a chance he could flame out. This should especially ring true for Jags fans who witnessed the Gus Bradley era.

If it hadn't been for the previous decade+ of ineptitude on the field, then it would not be a big deal to give an unproven coordinator a try. But Shad has to get it right. Hiring another Bradley could doom this franchise's future in Jacksonville.

I think you're missing the point, myself.  The age is irrelevant.  There's just as much of a chance that an 'experienced' coach could flame out.

Give me Leftwich
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I wasn't keen on the idea of Leftwich a couple of weeks ago, but I've really warmed to the idea, starting with the report that he was certain how he would handle the GM position. I'm betting he has a solid plan for leading this team, and I think I would be pretty excited with bringing Byron home to be HC.

(01-14-2022, 07:01 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 06:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: You're missing the point. They could bring in Leftwich and he could be a HOF head coach. I think he ultimately will be a good coach. But you also have to acknowledge there's a chance he could flame out. This should especially ring true for Jags fans who witnessed the Gus Bradley era.

I think you're missing the point, myself.  The age is irrelevant.  There's just as much of a chance that an 'experienced' coach could flame out.

I agree age is irrelevant. Where did I say otherwise? There's a chance an experienced coach could flame out, sure. But if you're playing the odds, a coach with a previously successful history of running a team has less of a chance of that IMO than a rookie.

Edit: I understand where you got that impression when I went back. What I meant by "pretty young guy" was "guy with relatively little experience". It was a colloquialism.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 07:31 PM by MoJagFan. Edited 1 time in total.)

I actually feel better about Leftwich then I thought I would be on hiring him. I guess that could be a return to optimism and that means it probably won't happen.

Edit:

Honestly there is huge bust potential in anything we do. We need to figure out a way to get fundamentals working and build. No cute crap, buzz words, rah rah nonsense, or anything that doesn't focus on winning.

Need to win one on ones, win in the trenches, win and build up and execute.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022, 07:33 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-14-2022, 07:26 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 07:01 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I think you're missing the point, myself.  The age is irrelevant.  There's just as much of a chance that an 'experienced' coach could flame out.

I agree age is irrelevant. Where did I say otherwise? There's a chance an experienced coach could flame out, sure. But if you're playing the odds, a coach with a previously successful history of running a team has less of a chance of that IMO than a rookie.

I don't see anything statistically to back that opinion at all.  As a matter of fact, recently I would say it's just the opposite of your assertion.

(01-14-2022, 07:30 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 07:26 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I agree age is irrelevant. Where did I say otherwise? There's a chance an experienced coach could flame out, sure. But if you're playing the odds, a coach with a previously successful history of running a team has less of a chance of that IMO than a rookie.

I don't see anything statistically to back that opinion at all.

Just their histories. In most industries, experience and success is considered a plus and somewhat an indicator of future performance.

(01-14-2022, 07:28 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I actually feel better about Leftwich then I thought I would be on hiring him. I guess that could be a return to optimism and that means it probably won't happen.

Edit:

Honestly there is huge bust potential in anything we do. We need to figure out a way to get fundamentals working and build. No cute crap, buzz words, rah rah nonsense, or anything that doesn't focus on winning.

Need to win one on ones, win in the trenches, win and build up and execute.

I agree about no rah rah, we need a good football guy.

To my point, if experience isn't important, I guess we could go after Peyton Manning, I read something about him being interested in getting into coaching. We could also get MJD as OC.

Don’t see what the big rush is. It’s like the rush to draft Alualu. No one else will hire him this time but us. He’s light years better than BoB though.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt