Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:37 PM by dwolf.)

Wow, I can't believe how many people are upset by this trade. 

If we had kept Monroe through the season, what would have happened?

1.  We were going to lose most of our games.

2.  He would be a free agent.  He could sign with anyone.

3.  The jags would have to decide if he was the best tackle available in free agency and if they thought he was they would have to pay him more than any other team to keep him.

Now that we have made the trade.

1.  We will lose most of our games.

2. Monroe will be a free agent.  He can sign with anyone, even us.

3.  The Jags will have seen 12 games of tape on Luke at left tackle.  If they think Monroe was better then they can still choose to offer him more money than any other team.

That won't happen though because they were not planning on keeping Luke at right tackle.  He was always going to be the future left tackle of this team and a free agent like Monroe was never going to accept a demotion to right tackle.  So basically we got a 4th and 5th round pick for a guy who was not going to be on this team after this year.

In addition, we did the right thing for a guy who has played hard for this organization.  He is now on a team that is a contender.  If he does well in Baltimore, then all the time in the spotlight will give the guy a chance to really break the bank.

All in all, it was a good trade for everyone.  Jags get picks, Ravens get a good tackle, and the team does Monroe a solid by putting him in position to earn a superbowl ring and a ton of cash.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Oh. Is that how this game works?
Well if they finish 2-14 that's almost like having 3rd and 4th rounders...

...Let's hope!! :thumbsup:

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:36 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:Thats right....forgot about Harvin.....and wasn't he also heading into the final year of his contract?....
http://arrowheadaddict.com/2013/05/01/do...en-albert/

Monroe was the 10th rated LT last year and Albert was the 7th. They both were in similar situations (1 year left on the contract) so I think we got the best deal the market had to offer. We could trade the 4th and 5th for a 3rd if we wanted too. Same thing what the Chiefs would of got for Albert who was rated the higher player.  That is as good as you would of got.  So we should of just let him walked for nothing and he didnt want to be here in the first place from reports.  Im glad you are not the GM

Quote:<i>The best the Jaguars likely would have received for Monroe as a compensatory pick by letting him walk in free agency was a fourth-round pick.</i>

Quote:Its unlikely that the above happens, but you franchise him again until dealt. 

You don't give in for peanuts. 

Jesus man would you quit saying peanuts?  You sound like a moron. 

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:38 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Monroe isn't one of Caldwell's guys. It should be obvious what he thinks of the players that were here when he took over. The only one that might get a long term deal in the next year or two is Shorts. All the rest will be gone soon. It's not that complicated.

....If thats the case, then shouldn't Caldwell have tried to trade him say.....LAST offseason???,... maybe around the draft when you probably would have got more for him than an old shoe & a half drank bottle of hooch...

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:39 PM by BritishJag.)

Quote:How many extras in the top 3 rounds? 

So in essence they have a bunch of extra picks of later rounders who have statistically a low chance to ever become anything of substance anyway....
4ths and 5ths are no rubbish.

In 2011 the Jags took CSIII in the 4th, Caldwell's Falcons picked up Jacquizz Rodgers in the 5th, Gus Bradley's Seahawks took Richard Sherman in the 5th.

You're talking like we got a couple of late 7ths for him where we'd be grabbing guys who could be UDFA's. If we draft well we could easily get a few good starters in the middle rounds and having 2 4th and 3 5ths will only increase these chances.

The depth on this roster is AWFUL, we need 30+ new players to have a decent roster with a little depth, if we can get 6 starters in the draft and 4 depth players and a 5 in free agency and 5 or so UDFAs we'll be on the way.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:lol Good try... AP ran for 2,000 son

Percy Harvin (last year) was having an MVP-type year before he got hurt, Adrian Peterson called Percy Harvin "the best player I've ever played with". If Harvin stayed healthy he would've led the league in receptions and probably all purpose yards, and wheh healthy Harvin is one of the best players in all of football.

Quote:4ths and 5ths are no rubbish.

In 2011 the Jags took CSIII in the 4th, Caldwell's Falcons picked up Jacquizz Rodgers in the 5th, Gus Bradley's Seahawks took Richard Sherman in the 5th.

We have flashbacks of austen lane and brandon marshall (not the WR).

Quote:We have flashbacks of austen lane and brandon marshall (not the WR).
Gene Smith.

Quote:No the idea is you franchise Monroe, to buy time until you get an actual GOOD deal in a trade, unlike what we just got. 

I'm sorry, but what?

If you franchise him, you're guaranteeing him a boatload of money.  No team will match it and surrender their first rounder.  Then, you have to cut him or pay him.

Unless the franchise tag works in some way that I'm missing?

Quote:yep, pretty much....
I'm shocked you of all people would chime in.  No matter what a GM does here, you will complain...its your schtick.

You always turn personnel moves around and try to make it seem like it was your idea if it was a good one and bash when it isnt. 

We got a 4th and 5th round pick for a guy that we would have had to pay in the offseason.  They obviously didnt see the value in it and decided to get two mid round picks for it. Seems like a good deal to me.

How anyone can say Ozzie schooled him is beyond me.  They gave up two mid round picks for essentailly 12 games.  Anyone has a chance to resign him.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:42 PM by vagrantwade.)

Monroe is going to his wife's hometown. This is something that was obviously discussed by Monroe and Caldwell meaning Monroe clearly made it known he would not be returning. They likely threw him a bone and looked for a team where he could give a verbal agreement that he would resign.

Everyone needs to ignore TMD. He whines. It's what he does.

TEST

Quote:4ths and 5ths are no rubbish.

You're talking like we got a couple of late 7ths for him where we'd be grabbing guys who could be UDFA's. If we draft well we could easily get a few good starters in the middle rounds and having 2 4th and 3 5ths will only increase these chances.

The depth on this roster is AWFUL, we need 30+ new players to have a decent roster with a little depth, if we can get 6 starters in the draft and 4 depth players and a 5 in free agency and 5 or so UDFAs we'll be on the way.

Jacquizz Rodgers sucks. 

Statistically, the chances of 4th rounders and later panning out to be long term impact starters is low. Players like Shorts & Sherman are quite the exceptions to the rule. 

Quote:lol Good try... AP ran for 2,000 son

Yeah... because percy got hurt. What else were they gonna do, have Ponder air it out to Jerome Simpson? 

This isnt me taking anything away from AP, he's first ballot HOF, but if Percy played the whole year I doubt he breaks 2000.

Quote:I'm sorry, but what?

If you franchise him, you're guaranteeing him a boatload of money.  No team will match it and surrender their first rounder.  Then, you have to cut him or pay him.

Unless the franchise tag works in some way that I'm missing?

Only guaranteed the avg top 5 salary for ONE year if you franchise said player. 

I just love that out of all of this Eugene Monroe has now become a "premium" LT. I can't think of any time I have ever seen that description of him before today, but I'm sure by the end of the day he will most likely be a future HOFer because of the trade.

Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

Quote:....If thats the case, then shouldn't Caldwell have tried to trade him say.....LAST offseason???,... maybe around the draft when you probably would have got more for him than an old shoe & a half drank bottle of hooch...

How many more lame metaphors are you going to try?

You keep bringing up the rumored Branden Albert trade as some gold standard. The Dolphins ended up trading that pick for two fourth rounders. We got a fourth and a fifth. So the difference between what you consider ideal is the equivelant of two fourth round picks, but a fourth and a fifth are "an old shoe & a half drank bottle of hooch"?

;

;

Quote:Only guaranteed the avg top 5 salary for ONE year if you franchise said player. 

Just because he is franchised doesn't mean he will demand more in a trade.  Where did you get that assumption from?

Quote:Yeah... because percy got hurt. What else were they gonna do, have Ponder air it out to Jerome Simpson?

This isnt me taking anything away from AP, he's first ballot HOF, but if Percy played the whole year I doubt he breaks 2000.

This is true.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

So the Jags have traded first ballot HOF and GOAT Eugene "The Tank" Monroe for a cup of coffee and a dead racehorse.

Terrible. What you doing Jeans Miff?