Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head Coach Candidates (Merged Threads)

(01-30-2022, 01:25 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/...96170?s=21

Further proof he was never first choice
Baalke is SCRAMBLING

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-30-2022, 09:22 AM)Upper Wrote: O'Connell is yet another guy that I would have been perfectly happy with on his own merits. He is an unacceptable candidate in this manner though.

That’s kind of how I feel.  Truth be told, I prefer O’Connell over Eberflus or Hackett.  Probably over everyone else the Jags interviewed other than Peterson and Caldwell, and even then, you could probably talk me into O’Connell.  It’s just a bad look for the franchise the way it’s currently going down.

…and this is all making the rather large assumption that O’Connell would even take the job.  There are openings every year in the NFL, so he can afford to wait, especially since we may be the only team left that hasn’t hired a HC by the Super Bowl.

I’m still thinking it’s going to be Leftwich though, until I hear something definitive from Leftwich’s camp saying it isn’t.

(01-30-2022, 01:25 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/...96170?s=21

Unbelievable.  What does the Jags "brain trust" do if the Vikes hire him?  

This whole process is ridiculous.  When will Shad khan wake up?

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2022, 02:00 PM by Firesky. Edited 1 time in total.)

Khan stated after ousting Meyer that he would take more time this hiring cycle and really do his due diligence on all the candidates that are out there. Now that he's actually doing that everyone is losing their minds, I think Byron is definitely still in the lead but until we hear rumors confirmed no news is good news. I don't think this speaks to any dysfunction, because Khan is doing exactly what he said he's doing. He could be having private talks with Jim Harbaugh, he could be trying to coax a Hall of Fame Coach out of retirement like Tony Dungy. I really believe Khan is leaving no stone unturned but still has an idea of what to do.

It definitely is more reflective on the national media and how out of touch they are with Jacksonville. They don't care enough during the regular season so they look at box scores and paint us with broad strokes as they railroad the narrative. They have exactly zero outside of Baalke leaks (which aren't leaks but more spin I would say) and since they can't just report nothing they default to their typical tactic of calling us dysfunctional, a dumpster fire etc. Think back to any time since the fall of Sacksonville, the takes about this team are braindead and had little research put into them, that hasn't changed, if these national talking heads dont care to cultivate the relationships during our poor regular seasons (because we're "not worth covering") they won't have any insight when there's an actual story to cover like right now.

tl;dr - Khan is doing exactly what he said he'd do, that doesn't mean the search is going south. National Media types as usual have no idea what's going on in Jacksonville and they're mad about it so they default to calling us bad.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2022, 02:08 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-30-2022, 01:57 PM)Firesky Wrote: Khan stated after ousting Meyer that he would take more time this hiring cycle and really do his due diligence on all the candidates that are out there. Now that he's actually doing that everyone is losing their minds, I think Byron is definitely still in the lead but until we hear rumors confirmed no news is good news. I don't think this speaks to any dysfunction, because Khan is doing exactly what he said he's doing. He could be having private talks with Jim Harbaugh, he could be trying to coax a Hall of Fame Coach out of retirement like Tony Dungy. I really believe Khan is leaving no stone unturned but still has an idea of what to do.

It definitely is more reflective on the national media and how out of touch they are with Jacksonville. They don't care enough during the regular season so they look at box scores and paint us with broad strokes as they railroad the narrative. They have exactly zero outside of Baalke leaks (which aren't leaks but more spin I would say) and since they can't just report nothing they default to their typical tactic of calling us dysfunctional, a dumpster fire etc. Think back to any time since the fall of Sacksonville, the takes about this team are braindead and had little research put into them, that hasn't changed, if these national talking heads dont care to cultivate the relationships during our poor regular seasons (because we're "not worth covering") they won't have any insight when there's an actual story to cover like right now.

tl;dr - Khan is doing exactly what he said he'd do, that doesn't mean the search is going south. National Media types as usual have no idea what's going on in Jacksonville and they're mad about it so they default to calling us bad.

You're joking, right?  Or not?

Khan selected seven or eight people for a first interview, then he selected three for a second interview, two of them got hired by other teams and the only remaining candidate said he wouldn't work with Trent Baalke.  
So then he picks another guy to do a first interview but this guy is already about to do a second interview with the Vikings.  The Vikings get to do a second interview because They did a first interview already, we don't get to interview the guy for a second interview until he's out of the playoffs.  So the Vikings will finish their second interview and if they offer him a job we have to find yet another candidate to do a first interview.  

So two months after we knew we were going to need a head coach we are still scouring the market for guys to bring in for a first interview.

And you don't think that's dysfunctional?

(01-30-2022, 01:57 PM)Firesky Wrote: Khan stated after ousting Meyer that he would take more time this hiring cycle and really do his due diligence on all the candidates that are out there. Now that he's actually doing that everyone is losing their minds, I think Byron is definitely still in the lead but until we hear rumors confirmed no news is good news. I don't think this speaks to any dysfunction, because Khan is doing exactly what he said he's doing. He could be having private talks with Jim Harbaugh, he could be trying to coax a Hall of Fame Coach out of retirement like Tony Dungy. I really believe Khan is leaving no stone unturned but still has an idea of what to do.

Come on man. The team with the 2nd longest HC opening is fumbling the bag.

They could have done many of these interviews weeks ago but instead, just sat around listening to Baalke. Baalke is legit the only reason this job hasn’t been filled yet and literally every single person sees that except Shad. Even Tony sees it.

This is an embarrassment on a multitude of levels.

So, say they wait to interview O'Connell, what if he also says Baalke must go?

Who becomes the dark horse then?

(01-30-2022, 02:09 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: So, say they wait to interview O'Connell, what if he also says Baalke must go?

Bevell.

It is so obvious there is a turd in the punch bowl here and what's amazing is that Shad Khan can't seem to figure it out.

Very very hard to understand.

(01-30-2022, 02:13 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: It is so obvious there is a turd in the punch bowl here and what's amazing is that Shad Khan can't seem to figure it out. 

My optimism creeps in every once in a while and all this silence is leading me to think that maybe this is Khan just waiting to do it on his terms. He’s ready for Byron and Wilson but wants to release it himself tomorrow.

(01-30-2022, 02:09 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: So, say they wait to interview O'Connell, what if he also says Baalke must go?

In the event of the Vikings do not hire O'Connell, if the Rams win today we have to wait two more weeks to give the guy a first interview.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2022, 02:17 PM by Jag88.)

(01-30-2022, 02:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Bevell.

It's good old fangio.  That's the guy waiting on the bench which sucks!

(01-30-2022, 02:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-30-2022, 02:13 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: It is so obvious there is a turd in the punch bowl here and what's amazing is that Shad Khan can't seem to figure it out. 

My optimism creeps in every once in a while and all this silence is leading me to think that maybe this is Khan just waiting to do it on his terms. He’s ready for Byron and Wilson but wants to release it himself tomorrow.

Oh I hope so!

(01-30-2022, 02:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

In the event of the Vikings do not hire O'Connell, if the Rams win today we have to wait two more weeks to give the guy a first interview.
They don’t actually want O’Connell though.

They are already way behind on interviewing him and there’s no chance he actually accepts an interview. 

Like. Legit. If it’s not Byron, there isn’t a single coach outside of Bevell who would come here now after seeing how inept this whole process has been.

The only thing that can save face is hiring Byron and Wilson. Anything else (especially one that includes Baalke) makes everyone look like an idiot.

If Bevell stays, does that mean we can opt to keep Cullen and the rest of the staff ?

It's because he's the turd.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(01-30-2022, 02:23 PM)Newton Wrote: If Bevell stays, does that mean we can opt to keep Cullen and the rest of the staff ?

Cullen and the rest of the staff are already out interviewing for other jobs.

(01-30-2022, 02:23 PM)Newton Wrote: If Bevell stays, does that mean we can opt to keep Cullen and the rest of the staff ?

If Shad doesn't dismiss Baalke Wormtongue, the field is narrowed to only those willing to work with said Wormtongue.  At that point, you might as well keep Bevell and the rest of the staff.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-30-2022, 02:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Cullen and the rest of the staff are already out interviewing for other jobs.

Unfortunately.

(01-30-2022, 01:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Baalke is SCRAMBLING
(01-30-2022, 01:57 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Unbelievable.  What does the Jags "brain trust" do if the Vikes hire him?  

This whole process is ridiculous.  When will Shad khan wake up?
(01-30-2022, 02:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

(01-30-2022, 02:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-30-2022, 02:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: In the event of the Vikings do not hire O'Connell, if the Rams win today we have to wait two more weeks to give the guy a first interview.
They don’t actually want O’Connell though.

They are already way behind on interviewing him and there’s no chance he actually accepts an interview. 

Like. Legit. If it’s not Byron, there isn’t a single coach outside of Bevell who would come here now after seeing how inept this whole process has been.

The only thing that can save face is hiring Byron and Wilson. Anything else (especially one that includes Baalke) makes everyone look like an idiot.
This is Baalke's plan. He thinks they win today and even if they don't he knows he is behind and O'Connell won't wait for them and probably won't work with him anyway. He wins as another coach is gone and Leftwich walks away by then. The Jags are left without a coach and have to pick Bevell.

Baalke stays, gets to fire Bevell after next season, then gets to start over again because they couldn't find the coach they want the previous season. 4-5 years later Baalke will finally be fired.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2022, 02:50 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Wow. The raiders are hiring McDaniels

Come on jags. Do we have to be the last team to hire our guy?