Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:I just love that out of all of this Eugene Monroe has now become a "premium" LT. I can't think of any time I have ever seen that description of him before today, but I'm sure by the end of the day he will most likely be a future HOFer because of the trade.

On several occasions I believe I called him Eugene "The Turnstile" Monroe.

He may not have deserved that considering the rest of the line but he was never, ever elite.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Jacquizz Rodgers sucks. 

Statistically, the chances of 4th rounders and later panning out to be long term impact starters is low. Players like Shorts & Sherman are quite the exceptions to the rule. 

What are the chances of 4th rounders you can't draft due to no more picks turning into long term starters?  I'm going to say 0%.

Monroe wasn't going to stay unless we overpaid him.  All things being equal, players with talent want to win, so if you want them to stay it won't be because things are equal. 

So we got 2 more picks for losing Monroe for the next 12 games; pretend he went to IR if it helps you.  Bottom line, we're losing these games either way; I'll take the picks.

As for re-signing him, if you really want to overpay him, well you still have that option available to you; I hear he's going to be a FA soon.

Quote: 

How anyone can say Ozzie schooled him is beyond me.  They gave up two mid round picks for essentailly 12 games.  Anyone has a chance to resign him.

I'm tired of this horse poop being thrown around as gospel. 

Monroe was not going to be treated like a "RENTAL" in baseball. Whoever traded for him was doing so with the idea & probable verbal agreement that they'd get a new long term deal done with the new team. 

The Jags also HAD OPTIONS beyond the "12 games". They could have franchised him for a year, or until they finally did find a suitor who was willing to pay reasonable compensation rather than the '73 Gremlin that we just got from Baltimore as compensation. 

Have avoided the board for four weeks so far. Was pretty quiet then but Caldwell makes a deal some don't agree with and I remember why I left. Awesome
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:I'm tired of this horse poop being thrown around as gospel. 

Monroe was not going to be treated like a "RENTAL" in baseball. Whoever traded for him was doing so with the idea & probable verbal agreement that they'd get a new long term deal done with the new team. 

The Jags also HAD OPTIONS beyond the "12 games". They could have franchised him for a year, or until they finally did find a suitor who was willing to pay reasonable compensation rather than the '73 Gremlin that we just got from Baltimore as compensation. 

They probably weren't going to franchise him. They were going to let him walk in free agency. That is why they dealt him now. Don't you get that?

;

;

Quote:Have avoided the board for four weeks so far. Was pretty quiet then but Caldwell makes a deal some don't agree with and I remember why I left. Awesome

So you enjoy being here when it is quiet, but leaving when there is actually something to discuss? Solid.

Quote: 

As for re-signing him, if you really want to overpay him, well you still have that option available to you; I hear he's going to be a FA soon.

YAWN....no, NO he's not. He's going to re-sign a long term deal with the team that just traded for him. Thats the idea. That you buy into this "12 game rental" nonsense, is hilarious. 

The Ravens don't make that deal without a verbal agreement that Monroe is there for the long haul and will sign a new long term deal there. . 

Quote:Just because he is franchised doesn't mean he will demand more in a trade.  Where did you get that assumption from?
The imaginary world he lives in where Monroe is a Premium LT :teehee:

A verbal agreement....lol.  Unless its in writing it doesnt mean anything.

You can say peanuts and '73 Gremlin all you want.  You sound pathetic and you really wish you found your mark being a GM.  Because you cant, you will trash them all you can.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:54 PM by anonymous2112.)

Quote:Only guaranteed the avg top 5 salary for ONE year if you franchise said player. 

But why would we do that if we think he's average, and that thought has been confirmed by the market? 

Also, I looked up the franchise tag rules:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

There's no trade advantage to franchising a player.  It's a tool used to keep your best players from negotiating with other teams for a better deal by offering them the market value of the top 5 players at his position.  Now, the team can rescind the tag, but then the player can walk anyway because he's not franchised.

He's not worth the franchise tag, the rest of the NFL knows it, and he would just walk with no compensation given to the Jags.

The more you examine this trade, I'm afraid, the better it looks.  Really, for both teams.

Edit:  on top of that, he could sign the franchise tender immediately, and then the Jags are on the hook for his overpaid salary for a year.  And we still get nothing in return.

Quote:I'm shocked you of all people would chime in.  No matter what a GM does here, you will complain...its your schtick.

You always turn personnel moves around and try to make it seem like it was your idea if it was a good one and bash when it isnt. 

We got a 4th and 5th round pick for a guy that we would have had to pay in the offseason.  They obviously didnt see the value in it and decided to get two mid round picks for it. Seems like a good deal to me.

How anyone can say Ozzie schooled him is beyond me.  They gave up two mid round picks for essentailly 12 games.  Anyone has a chance to resign him.

Exactly.  Unless Baltimore moves quickly to sign him to an extension, they're not schooling anyone here.  They've signed a band aid for 12 games. 

We got a 4th and 5th for a player at a premium position.  That's something I have concerns about.  Granted, he could have walked at the end of the season and the team would have gotten nothing.  But, the franchise tag is always an option, and for a team that has as much cap room as this one does, even if we're paying him top 5 money (for a top 5 LT, BTW), so what? 

Trading him removes that from the equation.  I'm not a big fan of the move, but I understand it.  We'll know soon enough if Caldwell's quest to get more draft picks pans out or not.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Albert, who is a better player, had a maximum value of a 3rd round pick. Its not absurd to think a player who is worse than him would garnish a 4th + 5th. Its being reported that Caldwell shopped around and even the desperate steelers wouldnt give up more. Its the most we could have got. Stop being delusional. 

Quote:They probably weren't going to franchise him. They were going to let him walk in free agency. That is why they dealt him now. Don't you get that?
No, he will ignore the facts because they dont cater to his arguement.  He will say the same thing over and over without making a good point for the next 25 pages on this thread.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 01:53 PM by BritishJag.)

Quote:They probably weren't going to franchise him. They were going to let him walk in free agency. That is why they dealt him now. Don't you get that?
Expect people to say "why couldn't we have done it before the draft"

Two reasons for me: The Jags owuld have made it obvious we where taking a LT and couldn't have attempted to trade down, which I believe they did.

And they wanted to see him in this team, like the quote from Long says, the coaches didn't like his cut blocking.

Well if Gabbert was skittish with the old O-line I can't wait to see him this week.

This also shows that the current staff have given up on Gabbert and couldn't care less if he gets sacked 20 times a game.

If it wasn't obvious before, it is now that we'll be taking a new QB next year.

Quote:Albert, who is a better player, had a maximum value of a 3rd round pick. Its not absurd to think a player who is worse than him would garnish a 4th + 5th. Its being reported that Caldwell shopped around and even the desperate steelers wouldnt give up more. Its the most we could have got. Stop being delusional. 

That third round pick for Albert he keeps bringing up was traded by Miami for two fourth round picks. So Branden Albert is worth two fourth round picks and it is considered a good trade for the Chiefs. But Monroe being traded for a fourth and a fifth is some Manhattan-for-beads type fleecing. Only TMDville.

;

;

Quote:Harvin only had 1 year left when he was traded so being signed through 2018 is irrelevant in his case.  And I'm not saying Monroe should have garnered as much as those guys.  I'm saying a 2nd rounder would have been more like it when looking at relative value.

I don't think you guys realize what a long shot it is to find even a 4 year starter in the fourth and fifth rounds.

The truth would suggest otherwise.

Erik Pears

UDFA

Tyson Claybo

UDFA

Sebastian Vollmer

Austin Howard

UDFA

Doug Free

Justin Pugh

Lane Johnson

Tyler Polumbus

UDFA

Michael Oher

Andre Smith

Mitchell Schwartz

Marcus Gilbert

Jordan Mills

Jason Fox

Don Barclay

UDFA

Derek Newton

Gosder Cherilus

David Stewart

Jeremy Trueblood

Byron Bell

UDFA

Zach Strief

Demar Dotson

UDFA

Orlando Frankin

Eric Fisher

Tony Pashos

DJ Fluker

Eric Winston

Rodger Saffold

Anthony Davis

Breno Giacomini

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Exactly.  Unless Baltimore moves quickly to sign him to an extension, they're not schooling anyone here.  They've signed a band aid for 12 games. 

C'mon FBT....you're smarter than that....

Of course Baltimore is going to sign him to a long term deal. They don't make this deal for a 12 game rental.....sheesh....you of all people I'd thought would understand this....

On the plus side, Pasztor was one of the only ones who played well in the preseason.