Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 02:12 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:The truth blows this opinion out of the water.

What you mean that list of OT you provided?? You mean the one that included Tony Pashos in it as proof??? 

Laughing

Yeah, ...."truth".... Rolleyes 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Why do you think you'd need to move up to get a quality starting RT?

Of the starting RTs in the league, there is only one more starting first round RT than there are starting UDFA RTs.  Half of all starting RTs are round 3 and lower.

Erik Pears UDFA Tyson Claybo UDFA Sebastian Vollmer 2 Austin Howard UDFA Doug Free 4 Justin Pugh 1 Lane Johnson 1 Tyler Polumbus UDFA Michael Oher 1 Andre Smith 1 Mitchell Schwartz 2 Marcus Gilbert 2 Jordan Mills 5 Jason Fox   4 Don Barclay UDFA Derek Newton 7 Gosder Cherilus 1 David Stewart 3 Jeremy Trueblood 2 Byron Bell UDFA Zach Strief 7 Demar Dotson UDFA Orlando Frankin 2 Eric Fisher 1 Tony Pashos 5 DJ Fluker   1 Eric Winston 3 Rodger Saffold 2 Anthony Davis 1 Breno Giacomini 5

This move was inevitable the moment Joekel was drafted.

And how many teams that are starting those UDFA's and late rounders are happy that they are their starting RT?  Definitely less than a handful at best.  We're currently starting Austin Pasztor at RT....

Quote:And how many teams that are starting those UDFA's and late rounders are happy that they are their starting RT?  Definitely less than a handful at best.  We're currently starting Austin Pasztor at RT....
Likely as many or more than those who blew a first round pick on one.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:And how many teams that are starting those UDFA's and late rounders are happy that they are their starting RT?  Definitely less than a handful at best.  We're currently starting Austin Pasztor at RT....

Thats what I'm thinking....

Quote:Likely as many or more than those who blew a first round pick on one.

I'd sure take almost all of those 1st, 2nds, and 3rds over the late rounders and UDFA's on the list.  I'm sure you'll disagree though.

Quote:What you mean that list of OT you provided?? You mean the one that included Tony Pashos in it as proof??? 

Laughing

Yeah, ...."truth".... Rolleyes

Ahh, Tony Pashos.  The guy drafted by Ozzie Newsome.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Thats quite a leap of faith...

The chances of finding a long term quality reliable ORT with a pick as late as that (the picks we acquired) is very low. 
Tyson Clabo UDFA

David Stewart 4th

Todd Herremans 4th

Austin Howard UDFA

Demar Dotson UDFA

Chris Hairston 4th

Bobby Massie 4th

Barry Richardson 6th

Jeromey Clary 6th

Zach Strief 7th

Doug Free 4th

All starting RT's at the end of last season, I couldn't be bothered looking for more.

Quote:Ahh, Tony Pashos.  The guy drafted by Ozzie Newsome.

You do realize Pashos is only starting because of injury?  Barnes is actually the starting RT over there when Watson gets healthy.

Quote:Ahh, Tony Pashos.  The guy drafted by Ozzie Newsome.

...in the 5th round.

So thats the level of RT that we should be looking forward to, with the picks obtained from the trade. Fantastic.

Quote:Tyson Clabo UDFA

David Stewart 4th

Todd Herremans 4th

Austin Howard UDFA

Demar Dotson UDFA

Chris Hairston 4th

Bobby Massie 4th

Barry Richardson 6th

Jeromey Clary 6th

Zach Strief 7th

Doug Free 4th

All starting RT's at the end of last season, I couldn't be bothered looking for more.

How many of those are actually good?

Just because someone "starts" doesn't make them "good". 

We started Whimper for practically a whole year....I guess he should be on your list too....

Quote:...in the 5th round.

So thats the level of RT that we should be looking forward to, with the picks obtained from the trade. Fantastic.

Or, you know, instead of using the money they would have had to overpay Monroe, they could just as easily overpay another tackle in FA (and if it's a RT, almost certainly for less).

And then.... draft two more players than they would have otherwise.

Quote:...in the 5th round.

Boom
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:How many of those are actually good?

Just because someone "starts" doesn't make them "good". 

We started Whimper for practically a whole year....I guess he should be on your list too....
I think I got up to 25 or so in a RT ranking list and pulled out these guys, almost half of the top 25 RT's in the league (based on the list I found) are from the 4th round or lower. I know for a fact Clabo is good.

This is has to be the most backward "rebuild" in recent history. I wouldn't have believe someone had they told me here's the list of players the new GM will replace with his rebuild :

Monroe, Knighton, Cox, Smith, Landry

Never mind the Center that is near collection Social Security, the Guards that can't block a ball from rolling uphill, the Defensive Ends that can't get pressure we are Bush league

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:You do realize Pashos is only starting because of injury?  Barnes is actually the starting RT over there when Watson gets healthy.

Yep.

No reason the Jags can't find another former high rounder in free agency, at left or right, plug him in, and save the draft picks for other positions.

Might come cheap, too.  But as FBT has pointed out, he may not have to.

Quote:I think I got up to 25 or so in a RT ranking list and pulled out these guys, almost half of the top 25 RT's in the league (based on the list I found) are from the 4th round or lower. I know for a fact Clabo is good.

Yes, there are probably 3 or 4 good RTs that were drafted in the late rounds or undrafted.  Not a ringing bell of endorsement for the odds of pulling in a good tackle with those picks.

http://www.overthecap.com/freeagents.php...&Year=2014

Look at them salaries.

Quote:Monroe was the best from his year as it turned out but the only reason that is true is because nearly every other OT that year turned out to be garbage.  Saying that Monroe was the best in his year was like the Jags saying that Gabbert would have been the highest rated QB in the 2013 draft.

He was the big fish in a decidedly sad, ugly little pond.

I am trying to make the point that with the 8th overall pick we got the best lineman from the draft year.  He is still good.  with the 4th and 5th round picks we received, we won't be able to land the best player in the draft.  What you said it true, not many of the lineman from that year panned out, but it's important to note if you want a good lineman, which we do want to protect the face of the franchise, you need to keep develop them and hope they work out.  Monroe was one of the good ones. 

Quote:Yep.

No reason the Jags can't find another former high rounder in free agency, at left or right, plug him in, and save the draft picks for other positions.

Might come cheap, too.  But as FBT has pointed out, he may not have to.

I agree with this.

The tackle crop is also very deep in the draft.

But... I wouldn't hold my breath for a late round RT selection playing at a top-tier level for the Jaguars.

Its unlikely to get a player of similar quality to Monroe with a 4th or 5th round pick combined, but thats not the point. It was the best deal that was out there so we took it. And it makes sense in terms of value when comparing it to similar situations in recent history.