Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:http://www.overthecap.com/freeagents.php...&Year=2014

Look at them salaries.

NOOOO!!!!!

Why pass on signing Clabo or Winston for less than 4 million when we can franchise Monroe and pay him 10 million?

Have you learned nothing about wasting money that could be used elsewhere to sign at least one more exceptional free agent?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Thats what I'm thinking....

Out of the 13 highest rated RT's in the NFL last year 5 were drafted in the 3rd round or later.

Quote:This is has to be the most backward "rebuild" in recent history. I wouldn't have believe someone had they told me here's the list of players the new GM will replace with his rebuild :

Monroe, Knighton, Cox, Smith, Landry

Never mind the Center that is near collection Social Security, the Guards that can't block a ball from rolling uphill, the Defensive Ends that can't get pressure we are Bush league

Were this the end of the rebuild, or even after year two, I might share the concern.

But this is still year one.

The first season isn't even halfway over.

Did you honestly expect EVERY position would upgraded in one offseason?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:...in the 5th round.

So thats the level of RT that we should be looking forward to, with the picks obtained from the trade. Fantastic.

#BecauseOzzie

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:This is has to be the most backward "rebuild" in recent history. I wouldn't have believe someone had they told me here's the list of players the new GM will replace with his rebuild :

Never mind the Center that is near collection Social Security, the Guards that can't block a ball from rolling uphill, the Defensive Ends that can't get pressure we are Bush league

You were on a roll with the first two!  Then you sort of fizzled off with the DE's.  

But really, of those players I think we'll miss Smith the most.  And he's starting to get up there.  I imagine we'll draft a center this year.  Maybe Methuselah will retire.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Out of the 13 highest rated RT's in the NFL last year 5 were drafted in the 3rd round or later.

Nobody is arguing 3rd rounders don't turn out to be good at a decent rate.

Try again with 4th rounders or later.

And even then, you're saying 8 out of 13 of the best RTs are 1st or 2nd rounders.

How is it backwards? Three of the guys you mentioned were free agents that were not re-signed. One was a upcoming free agents traded for draft picks. That is exactly what a rebuild is.

;

;

Quote:Repeating a falsehood incessantly doesn't magically make it true.  Caveman smash!

some things never change... no matter who is running this team, no matter how obvious the bad moves are, you and other will defend them until the end of time... or until they are fired, in which case you will immediately start blaming all the current problems on the guy/guys you used to defend

i see the same thing happening again... shocker

Quote:Nobody is arguing 3rd rounders don't turn out to be good at a decent rate.

And even then, you're saying 8 out of 13 of the best RTs are 1st or 2nd rounders.

I'm really stuck trying to figure out why you guys are talking like the only way we can grab a RT is with these picks?  If we kept Monroe, it would have effectively been due to signing him just as if he were a FA.  If we don't keep Monroe, that money (or less) can still be put toward a tackle in FA.

The draft picks are bonus.  They may only turn into a role player, or depth, but they're players we wouldn't have gotten otherwise and we need those types of players too on this team.

Is it backward because we haven't done tbis before? Should we just stick to rebuilding like we did in the past? I mean, it's worked out so well before.

Caldwell can't fix everything in one year. Just give him time.

Quote:I'm really stuck trying to figure out why you guys are talking like the only way we can grab a RT is with these picks? If we kept Monroe, it would have effectively been due to signing him just as if he were a FA. If we don't keep Monroe, that money (or less) can still be put toward a tackle in FA.

The draft picks are bonus. They may only turn into a role player, or depth, but they're players we wouldn't have gotten otherwise and we need those types of players too on this team.
Just pointing out you can grab a RT later in the draft because people where saying 4th and 5th round picks are worthless.

Quote:Nobody is arguing 3rd rounders don't turn out to be good at a decent rate.

Your username is "FreeAgent01" and you haven't considered there might be a way to get an RT other than... The Draft 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:i see the same thing happening again... shocker

So do we.

Quote:http://www.overthecap.com/freeagents.php...&Year=2014

Look at them salaries.
Guy Whimper making 715k off the steelers lolololol

Quote:I'm really stuck trying to figure out why you guys are talking like the only way we can grab a RT is with these picks?  If we kept Monroe, it would have effectively been due to signing him just as if he were a FA.  If we don't keep Monroe, that money (or less) can still be put toward a tackle in FA.

The draft picks are bonus.  They may only turn into a role player, or depth, but they're players we wouldn't have gotten otherwise and we need those types of players too on this team.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm responding to other's who claimed RTs can be found in the later rounds.

Yes, we can replace Monroe via Free Agency.  My argument was that the compensation was lacking.  Monroe has more value to us than what we would recoup in that trade.  If you can't find his value, then keep him.  I'm not convinced as some others are that he wouldn't resign with us.

The problem is that you have like a 5% chance of finding a long term starter in rounds 4-7 and even less of a chance of finding a top level starter.  That's why the trade is undesirable to many.  We give up a top tier starter for 2 picks that are unlikely to even start.  No value.  Keep Monroe instead.

Quote:Guy Whimper making 715k off the steelers lolololol
I went to see the Vikings vs Steelers on Sunday. Big Ben had about 0.2 seconds to throw, amazing stuff.

One other point no one's made.  At least not in the posts I've bothered to read, which is about half.

Pasztor might develop into a decent RT.

Stranger things have happened

Quote:Your username is "FreeAgent01" and you haven't considered there might be a way to get an RT other than... The Draft 

Of course I have.  I started a whole free agency thread yesterday...

I'm just here to say that late rounders aren't starters and the trade was bad value.

Quote:some things never change... no matter who is running this team, no matter how obvious the bad moves are, you and other will defend them until the end of time... or until they are fired, in which case you will immediately start blaming all the current problems on the guy/guys you used to defend

i see the same thing happening again... shocker

lol....its funny because its true Laughing 

I said that the Joekel pick was a fantastic choice ONLY IF we kept Monroe, and I stand by that.  Now, I'm more hesitant about it and certainly feel it wasn't as good as previously advertised.

I however fully reject the notion that we can't trade with teams because we're scared of some voodoo of their fantastic luck with getting the better ends of them.

I guess we'll see what Caldwell has up his sleeve.  The value of this trade depends on who we pick up with the picks.