Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

All part of the plan..... Caldwell knows what he's doing. He's collecting multiple picks to have jars on the shelf.... Going for base hits not home runs.

Sound familiar?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:All part of the plan..... Caldwell knows what he's doing. He's collecting multiple picks to have jars on the shelf.... Going for base hits not home runs.

Sound familiar?

Haaaaa shoot me now plz thx

Lord.

We were going to just let him walk next year. That's pretty evident since we just turned him loose. He isn't actually that great.

Instead of letting him split, we traded him for some extra draft picks - we now have 10 selections in 2014. Not bad for a team that is at rock bottom and looking to build a sustainable winner through the draft.

Hang in there folks. It's going to be bumpy but worth it.

You're Welcome.

Quote:Ok.

If Eugene Monroe was traded for 4ths and 5ths, Jaguars fans would be angry because he was traded for 4ths and 5ths, not because he couldn't eventually be replaced.

Happy now?  Exactly the same.

This really shouldn't be that complicated guys.

You cannot dismiss that his contract is expiring, and that we're on our way to the first pick in the draft with, or without, his help over the next 12 games.

If you don't overpay him, he's gone after the next 12 games.  Or you let him go now, the outcome this year is exactly the same, and you have 2 more draft picks next year. 

Worried that we lost a tackle?  But wait!  We didn't spend 10 million dollars on Monroe, so we can now sign a FA RT and another player with that money.  Oh, and we still got two more mid round players.

Why are we upset again?

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM by JAGFAN88.)

Quote:Is this the longest thread ever? Seriously.... 59 pages!
Probably on the new board yes. I do think there were some tebow threads and Gerrard vs Leftwich threads that were epic long on the old board.

Quote:All part of the plan..... Caldwell knows what he's doing. He's collecting multiple picks to have jars on the shelf.... Going for base hits not home runs.

Sound familiar?

Cept' Gene Smith didn't even get jars on the shelf. Gene loved to trade up.  Trade up, trade up, trade up.  Trade away future picks for picks now.

Seems pretty opposite of Dave Caldwell to me.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:What positions were we okay at on a 2-14 team?

Do you suggest DB was not a "real need?"

Where does RB fit along the "need" spectrum?

ah the 2-14 argument again!

Last year the Secondary was probably the best unit consistently on the field, where they pro-bowlers NO, did we have capable starters that allowed us to compete, sure the problem was with the front 7. We had a top 10 LT instead of focusing on the Pass rush or the interior line we replace Monroe.

Instead of finding a Center for the senior citizen in the core of the line we focus on WR and DB.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Wow...  Argue just to argue much?
The point being your analogies that indirectly compared Monroe and Watt are simply asinine.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Strange to see the departure of an Offensive lineman get this much love on Jaguars dot com..

What is this world comming to....

Go Jaguars!!!!!

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:The kicker here is that we're not overpaying, because we're not signing/tagging a LT.  Instead, we're in the much cheaper RT market.

What you would have paid for Monroe would have been MUCH higher than what you'd pay for a RT.

Just look at Claybo.  $3.5M.

LT Franchise tag for Albert?  Nearly $10M.

Simple stuff.

pirkster,   after reading your post,    the thought that comes to mind is the Jaguars are following a similar formula that the Lions did in the off-season at RT.     The Lions are exhibit A that this formula can be successful.   Gosder Cherilus,  a former 1st Round pick,   became a UFA.    There was absolutely no way the Lions were going to come close to giving Cherilus the type of contract that the Colts ended up giving him.      Instead,  the Lions went with Jason Fox and Corey Hilliard for the fraction of the price combined that Cherilus is receiving in Indianapolis.    

So far,  so good regarding the results.   Hilliard took over for an injured Fox in Game # 1 vs.  Minnesota and is a significant factor in why Matthew Stafford has only been sacked 3 times in 4 games combined.    Even more importantly than the short term results,   the Lions added an UDRFA Offensive Tackle back in April from Texas Tech by the name of LaAdrian Waddle.     He's the most promising Lions UDRFA I can recall in over 30 years.       If the Lions would have kept Cherilus,    chances are Waddle would have signed elsewhere.      If the draft was done over,    I'm convinced Waddle would go in the top 2 rounds.      

Quote:ah the 2-14 argument again!

Last year the Secondary was probably the best unit consistently on the field, where they pro-bowlers NO, did we have capable starters that allowed us to compete, sure the problem was with the front 7. We had a top 10 LT instead of focusing on the Pass rush or the interior line we replace Monroe.

Instead of finding a Center for the senior citizen in the core of the line we focus on WR and DB.

So is it your assertion a 30 something Rashean Mathis coming off a knee injury and Aaron Ross were NOT liabilities in coverage last year?  Is that really what you are arguing?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Aaron Ross was a beast!

Big Grin

Nice to see him stinking it up in NY now.

Quote:The point being your analogies that indirectly compared Monroe and Watt are simply asinine.

The point being is that you two need help drawing conclusions if that's the conclusion you two came to after reading what I wrote.

Quote:The point being is that you two need help drawing conclusions if that's the conclusion you two came to after reading what I wrote.
Don't be surprised, and don't blame others, when an incoherent thought that's stated incoherently ends up being... well, that much more incoherent.

The value we received for Monroe was what the market bore for Monroe.

Quote:So is it your assertion a 30 something Rashean Mathis coming off a knee injury and Aaron Ross were NOT liabilities in coverage last year? Is that really what you are arguing?

The secondary this year looks more promising than last years....

Quote:So is it your assertion a 30 something Rashean Mathis coming off a knee injury and Aaron Ross were NOT liabilities in coverage last year?  Is that really what you are arguing?

Without gutting the entire secondary as in Cox, Landry, Mathis, Ross, Middleton we wouldn't have created the need to focus on so much help in the secondary in the offseason. I think Cox, Landry, w. Blackmon, and Cyprien would've been a great secondary. We could've used picks or FA to fix other positions of bigger needs.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:The point being is that you two need help drawing conclusions if that's the conclusion you two came to after reading what I wrote.

The point being that you shouldn't use hyperbole for your arguments. 

It'd be more comparable for the Texans to trade Watt with 12 games left for a 3rd and 4th round pick, when they plan on letting him walk.

Is it ideal?  No.

Would you like more?  Obviously.

But this is spilled-milk level crisis.  Not a "Four horsemen of the apocalypse are coming!" crisis and certainly not a "My teenager daughter is a Belieber!" crisis.

We're losing a good player that we were going to lose anyway.  We got less than ideal value out of it, but it's nothing in the realm of "We just traded JJ Watt for a 7th rounder!"

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:pirkster,   after reading your post,    the thought that comes to mind is the Jaguars are following a similar formula that the Lions did in the off-season at RT.     The Lions are exhibit A that this formula can be successful.   Gosder Cherilus,  a former 1st Round pick,   became a UFA.    There was absolutely no way the Lions were going to come close to giving Cherilus the type of contract that the Colts ended up giving him.      Instead,  the Lions went with Jason Fox and Corey Hilliard for the fraction of the price combined that Cherilus is receiving in Indianapolis.    

So far,  so good regarding the results.   Hilliard took over for an injured Fox in Game # 1 vs.  Minnesota and is a significant factor in why Matthew Stafford has only been sacked 3 times in 4 games combined.    Even more importantly than the short term results,   the Lions added an UDRFA Offensive Tackle back in April from Texas Tech by the name of LaAdrian Waddle.     He's the most promising Lions UDRFA I can recall in over 30 years.       If the Lions would have kept Cherilus,    chances are Waddle would have signed elsewhere.      If the draft was done over,    I'm convinced Waddle would go in the top 2 rounds.      
Such a move from the Jaguars was inevitable when they added a LT.  His time at RT wasn't going to last long.  Not when you're the #2 overall selection and have the talent to be better than the guy already there.

Quote:ah the 2-14 argument again!

The secondary is way better this year than it was last year.  Right now we are 11th in passing defense last year we were 30th

Quote:The point being that you shouldn't use hyperbole for your arguments. 

It'd be more comparable for the Texans to trade Watt with 12 games left for a 3rd and 4th round pick, when they plan on letting him walk.

Is it ideal?  No.

Would you like more?  Obviously.

But this is spilled-milk level crisis.  Not a "Four horsemen of the apocalypse are coming!" crisis and certainly not a "My teenager daughter is a Belieber!" crisis.

We're losing a good player that we were going to lose anyway.  We got less than ideal value out of it, but it's nothing in the realm of "We just traded JJ Watt for a 7th rounder!"

I just don't know how me writing that Texans fans would be upset with Watt being offloaded cheaply translates into, roughly paraphrased,  "Eugene Monroe is a better player with better value than J.J. Watt."

My point was that fans are upset at not getting good value for Monroe, not that he's irreplaceable. 

I agree with the rest of what you wrote though.  It's not a big deal.  And I agree with trading Monroe.