Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:The secondary is way better this year than it was last year.  Right now we are 11th in passing defense last year we were 30th

Rankings are meaningless, teams don't have to pass the ball as much when we give them field position on our side of the field all day long. Not to mention just about every RB we've played has had a career day against our line.

Bottom line, we needed help in the front 7 and instead replaced the secondary.

We needed at QB and help on the line, instead we drafted another LT and WR's.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Rankings are meaningless, teams don't have to pass the ball as much when we give them field position on our side of the field all day long. Not to mention just about every RB we've played has had a career day against our line.

The secondary was horrible last year.  The defense isn't that bad.  The defense is good until they are on the field for almost the whole half ad get wore out.

Quote:Rankings are meaningless, teams don't have to pass the ball as much when we give them field position on our side of the field all day long. Not to mention just about every RB we've played has had a career day against our line.

You keep saying "We needed help at QB"

...Tell me where we were going to get it.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I guess turning over 3 of the front 7 (Knighton, Mosley, Smith out - Marks, Miller, Hayes in) doesn't count. They replaced the guys who hit free agency. Do you honestly think Caldwell was in a big sweat to re-sign the guys that made up the roster he was hired to dismantle?

;

;

Quote:Such a move from the Jaguars was inevitable when they added a LT.  His time at RT wasn't going to last long.  Not when you're the #2 overall selection and have the talent to be better than the guy already there.

Agreed.     It was more of when,   not if,   Eugene Monroe would be playing elsewhere.    

I thought there was a chance that the Jaguars would keep Monroe in 2014 under the Franchise Tag.     Even if that happened,   it was hard to imagine Monroe being signed to a lucrative long term contract.      What surprised me in the present is Monroe's market value wasn't higher.     

Quote:I guess turning over 3 of the front 7 (Knighton, Mosley, Smith out - Marks, Miller, Hayes in) doesn't count. They replaced the guys who hit free agency. Do you honestly think Caldwell was in a big sweat to re-sign the guys that made up the roster he was hired to dismantle?

No they don't count because not a single one is an upgrade over last year.

Quote:Without gutting the entire secondary as in Cox, Landry, Mathis, Ross, Middleton we wouldn't have created the need to focus on so much help in the secondary in the offseason. I think Cox, Landry, w. Blackmon, and Cyprien would've been a great secondary. We could've used picks or FA to fix other positions of bigger needs.

1)  That's a different argument than saying the secondary was decent.."probably the best unit consistently on the field, where they pro-bowlers NO, did we have capable starters that allowed us to compete,"

2)  So you would have given Cox a $22 million contract he got from SD, even assuming he wanted to stay?  Despite he has been horribly injury prone and inconsistent during his time here?

3)  Where do you see the "greatness" in a secondary of Cox, Landry, W. Blackmon and Cyprien?  Where is your shutdown corner?  I've discussed Cox above.  Will Blackmon is a Seattle castoff.  Where is your ball hawking safety?

4) So using your recommended cuts of Ross, Mathis and Middleton, you still assert secondary wouldn't have been a major need?!?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Lord.

You called ?   What do you need .....

Quote:Bottom line, we needed help in the front 7 and instead replaced the secondary.

1.  Maybe I don't understand football, but I could have sworn that Marks, Miller, and Hayes qualified as front 7 defenders.

2.  Yes we needed help on the line.  Joeckel is an offensive lineman.

Quote:1)  That's a different argument than saying the secondary was decent.."probably the best unit consistently on the field, where they pro-bowlers NO, did we have capable starters that allowed us to compete,"

2)  So you would have given Cox a $22 million contract he got from SD, even assuming he wanted to stay?  Despite he has been horribly injury prone and inconsistent during his time here?

3)  Where do you see the "greatness" in a secondary of Cox, Landry, W. Blackmon and Cyprien?  Where is your shutdown corner?  I've discussed Cox above.  Will Blackmon is a Seattle castoff.  Where is your ball hawking safety?

4) So using your recommended cuts of Ross, Mathis and Middleton, you still assert secondary wouldn't have been a major need?!?

1.) No it's not a different argument, we created a need in the secondary instead of addressing the lack of Pass Rush.

2.) Yes a starting CB getting $22 Million isn't crazy

3.) Shut down corners are myths it's a passing league, you need a secondary that can tackle, you have to get to the QB to stop the air game today. The above mentioned are more then capable of making the stop and preventing the YAC not to mention Cox had a nose for INT's. Keep in mind Lowery and Landry would've meant we didn't NEED to draft Cyprien in the 2nd, plenty of other positions we could've addressed.

4.) I'm not recommending the cuts of anyone, I'm pointing out we keep "upgrading" every position but the one's of biggest need.

Quote: 1.  Maybe I don't understand football, but I could have sworn that Marks, Miller, and Hayes qualified as front 7 defenders.

2.  Yes we needed help on the line.  Joeckel is an offensive lineman.

Marks, Miller and Hayes do nothing to upgrade or help the front 7. Joeckel is replacing the one good OL we had, brilliant!

Here's a novel idea instead of replacing Knighton, Mosley, Smith and Monroe we should've replaced Alualu, Babin, Meester, and Rackley

Quote:No they don't count because not a single one is an upgrade over last year.

But keeping the exact same people from last year qualifies as an upgrade over what we had last year?!?

Besides, from a pass rush perspective, you don't see Marks as an upgrade over what we had at DT last year?

Quote:But keeping the exact same people from last year qualifies as an upgrade over what we had last year?!?

Besides, from a pass rush perspective, you don't see Marks as an upgrade over what we had at DT last year?

No I don't see Marks as an upgrade, at all.

This isn't hard to understand by keeping Knighton, Mosley and Smith we could've addressed other positions where we are near the worse in the league. C/OG/DE

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 04:21 PM by dwolf.)

Quote:I just don't know how me writing that Texans fans would be upset with Watt being offloaded cheaply translates into, roughly paraphrased,  "Eugene Monroe is a better player with better value than J.J. Watt."

My point was that fans are upset at not getting good value for Monroe, not that he's irreplaceable. 

I agree with the rest of what you wrote though.  It's not a big deal.  And I agree with trading Monroe.

Your JJ Watt analogy was flawed.  WattHe is an elite player at his position who is under contract for more than 12 games.  Monroe was never considered one of the best left tackles in the league. He is a solid player, he is not elite.

Quote:4.) I'm not recommending the cuts of anyone, I'm pointing out we keep "upgrading" every position but the one's of biggest need.

They upgraded positions they felt were a need. It's pretty obvious that Caldwell and the front office did not think as highly as you do of the pieces of the 2-14 Jaguars.

;

;

If you don't think that Marks is an upgrade over the garbage we had at DT last year, I just don't know what to say other than you should pobably reconsider trying to evaluate players.

Quote:They upgraded positions they felt were a need. It's pretty obvious that Caldwell and the front office did not think as highly as you do of the pieces of the 2-14 Jaguars.

Well his 0-4 Jaguars seem so much better.............guess we should just trust Caldwell then!

Ok, whatever.  It was flawed because I used hyperbole.  Great.

That still doesn't translate into me saying, even in the loosest translation, that Eugene Monroe is a better player with better value than J.J. Watt.  That's just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Quote:If you don't think that Marks is an upgrade over the garbage we had at DT last year, I just don't know what to say other than you should pobably reconsider trying to evaluate players.

Watch the middle of the line, we're getting gutted right up the middle by every RB. Marks is no upgrade if anything he's about the same as what we had last year.

Brown to Steelers for conditional draft pick.