Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Baalke?

The answer is yes.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He has done some good things but it’s not like the criticism wasn’t warranted.

He has certainly surpassed my expectations up to this point.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2022, 05:15 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(08-25-2022, 05:04 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The answer is yes.

The real answer is we don't know yet.

What has he done? what is our record with him on charge? and just lol at not going after Hendrickson, Trent Williams or a TE last year.

Let's see Trevor, ETN, Campbell, Lloyd, Walker, Fortner and the FAs from this year have good a season before we crown Baalke. Sure it seems most of those will have a good year but they haven't done anything yet.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2022, 06:56 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-25-2022, 05:15 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 05:04 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The answer is yes.

The real answer is we don't know yet.

What has he done? what is our record with him on charge? and just lol at not going after Hendrickson, Trent Williams or a TE last year.

Let's see Trevor, ETN, Campbell, Lloyd, Walker, Fortner and the FAs from this year have good a season before we crown Baalke. Sure it seems most of those will have a good year but they haven't done anything yet.

If we don't know yet, then the answer is still yes, because what would be the justification for the level of attacks that have been aimed at him when we don't know how all this is going to turn out?

You say, "lets see how things turn out before we crown him..." but the question wasn't "should we crown Baalke..."  The question was, have we been too harsh on him.

Too harsh on Baalke?

Maybe. Maybe not. But can the fan base be blamed?? Just look at the GM’s and drafts of the organizations past! Not a good track record at all.

Maybe we have been too harsh in assuming he can't draft well. I still think he's a snake in the grass and will throw someone under the bus in a heartbeat. There's too long of a track record to suggest otherwise.

(08-28-2022, 10:13 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Maybe we have been too harsh in assuming he can't draft well. I still think he's a snake in the grass and will throw someone under the bus in a heartbeat. There's too long of a track record to suggest otherwise.

This sums it up well. Presently the arrow is up for the team. At some point in the future when it will inevitably start pointing down, Baalke will go into survival mode and others will need to watch their backs.

I dont have high confidence in him still. I do think think things are looking potentially up.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2022, 04:13 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 5 times in total.)

(08-28-2022, 06:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 05:15 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: The real answer is we don't know yet.

If we don't know yet, then the answer is still yes, because what would be the justification for the level of attacks that have been aimed at him when we don't know how all this is going to turn out?

You say, "lets see how things turn out before we crown him..." but the question wasn't "should we crown Baalke..."  The question was, have we been too harsh on him.

Of course we have. You said it without saying it. We've been judging him on his past record and experiences. Every situation and circumstance is different. He's not with Harbaugh anymore. He's not with Meyer any more. Those are coaches with big, abrasive personalities, big egos. Peterson isn't any of that. Perhaps Baalke will succeed this time because it's not all about an egomaniacal coach that you might have to go into self-defense mode in order to just survive with. Would anyone here disagree that last year wasn't toxic? And that the last years of Harbaugh in SF were the same? Maybe there will be more coach/GM cooperation this go round. This is still the honeymoon, so it all still looks promising. I know I'm going to probably get roasted on some/all of this opinion, so fire up the grill. None of us really know anything about what went on to cause Baalke's failures in the past, unless you were a fly on the wall in SF and here last year, but i love a good underdog story, and I'm hopeful it happens here with Baalke/Pederson. We've been a laughingstock franchise long enough.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I think it was a mistake to keep him but if it ultimately works out, I won't complain. There is some talent on the roster now and things are looking up but with all the high draft choices in the last couple of drafts, that should be expected.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-28-2022, 04:01 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I think it was a mistake to keep him but if it ultimately works out, I won't complain. There is some talent on the roster now and things are looking up but with all the high draft choices in the last couple of drafts, that should be expected.

I want the team to work out and not be mired in another fan killing death spiral. Considering he has been here awhile....   No there is no "harsh" up to this point. So agree with your post +10
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(08-28-2022, 06:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 05:15 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: The real answer is we don't know yet.

Ok then

Brought (or at least was ok with) Meyer.
3-14 record
Passed on Trent Williams, Hendrickson, H.Henry for a bunch of guys that did nothing. M. Jones was solid at best.
Trevor fell to him and still made him look bad. Little barely played and was nothing special. Cisco didn't play.

That's is Baalke so far, so have we been to harsh with him? no, with what he has done so far.
Also, I guess we are gonna ignore all the mess with Byron etc.

Attacks like the guy screaming at him to resign or like I think someone posted (on twitter, not here) his address? yes, that crap shouldn't happen regardless of what he does as a GM.

The TC meant us, the board, have we been too harsh on him? No
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2022, 01:54 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-29-2022, 01:44 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 06:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If we don't know yet, then the answer is still yes, because what would be the justification for the level of attacks that have been aimed at him when we don't know how all this is going to turn out?

Ok then

3-14 record
Passed on Trent Williams, Hendrickson, H.Henry for a bunch of guys that did nothing. M. Jones was solid at best.
Trevor fell to him and still made him look bad. Little barely played and was nothing special. Cisco didn't play.

That's is Baalke so far, so have we been to harsh with him? no, with what he has done so far.

Attacks like the guy screaming at him to resign or like I think someone posted (on twitter, not here) his address? yes, that crap shouldn't happen regardless of what he does as a GM.

So you think it was Baalke who didn't allow Cisco to play? And Baalke was responsible for Lawrence and his below average season? Then what about this year? Cisco playing? Check. Lawrence better? Check. Baalke still here? Check. Who's not in the picture? Meyer.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2022, 02:05 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-29-2022, 01:44 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 06:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If we don't know yet, then the answer is still yes, because what would be the justification for the level of attacks that have been aimed at him when we don't know how all this is going to turn out?

Ok then

3-14 record

How do you know he passed on all those guys?  There was a rumor that we went hard after Henry but he chose the Pats.  Williams wasnt coming here over 49ers espically with the contract. We might have made a call though, we just dont know. With that said, teams done sign a bunch of high priced FA in the first year of a rebuild.

The obsession with this GM is really strange to me given the current state of the franchise.

The next two years are when we really find out what's what.

Still a lot remains to be seen. As they say, time will tell...
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2022, 02:05 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

He didnt try to hard in freegancy last. Year. This year with his job on the line, he went all in. Judge that.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2022, 02:07 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(08-29-2022, 02:04 PM)Jag88 Wrote: He didnt try to hard in freegancy last. Year. This year with his job on the line, he went all in. Judge that.

Again, that could be a function of Meyer. He certainly had heavy input in who he wanted here, via draft or FA, to the point where he even tried out Tebow.

(08-29-2022, 02:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The obsession with this GM is really strange to me given the current state of the franchise.

The next two years are when we really find out what's what.

You are right it is the owner who screwed up.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(08-29-2022, 02:04 PM)Jag88 Wrote: He didnt try to hard in freegancy last. Year. This year with his job on the line, he went all in. Judge that.

How much of that was due to Urbz not knowing how it worked?

Don't forget Meyer was hired before TB was relieved of the "interim" title, and was to have significant influence over personnel issues. I don't know that we can put last year's FA strategy squarely on Baalke's shoulders.

Who's on record saying TB's job is on the line?