Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Baalke?

I am sticking to his time here as the Jaguars.  His time in SF could be looked at several ways.

I am going to give him the major majority of the credit for this past draft class.  Too many reports have come out to state how obtuse Meyer was.  I read one today where it was reported he had no clue who Aaron Donald was until last year for example.  I have to believe Baalke did the majority of the research on players and ultimately picked players based on his knowledge.  I am sure Urban had some influence but we will never know how much.

Despite the census, this draft class was solid.  Lawrence has franchise guy potential, Little has starter potential, Campbell looks like a Gem, Cisco looks like a baller as well.   ETN could be the marshall faulkish type player with the duo threat.  A solid B at the least.

Baalke being the man goes into this off season with some aggressive moves in free agency. 

1. In the 3-4 Myles Jack is a major liability.  Truth be told he has been average at best since that 2017 season.  Jack wasn't down but his cap wasn't worth the production.  Good move cutting ties.

2. Franchise tag if a long term deal is worked out.   I was against franchising Robinson because it's a rental then we go into next season with a strapped salary cap needing a LT.  I have read reports they are working on a longer deal with Cam.  If they can get a few years of stability at LT then good move.  Little could take that spot but I need to see a bigger sample size.

3.  Reports are Linder is either retiring or being released.  Linder is a good player when healthy.  As Bill Parcells says, "the best ability is availability."   Linder just can't be counted on to make it an entire season.  The head scratcher is we just got Scherff who has the same circumstances.   Hard choice to let him go but I think it's the correct one. 

4. This Free Agent class overall was good.  Arguement could be made we over paid but as the bottom feeders I believe we had too.  People keep harping on the Kirk $20 million dollar deal but there were reports other teams where offering $17 million plus so we were not that far off.   Getting the Lead leader in tacking combined with an athletic tight end we can pair with Arnold I believe this team really got better this offseason. 

I was on the Clown show wanting Baalke fired but I would happily eat crow if this team turns things around.  Both sides of the ball have seen improvement before the draft.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No, we have not.

(03-21-2022, 01:59 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I am sticking to his time here as the Jaguars.  His time in SF could be looked at several ways.

I am going to give him the major majority of the credit for this past draft class.  Too many reports have come out to state how obtuse Meyer was.  I read one today where it was reported he had no clue who Aaron Donald was until last year for example.  I have to believe Baalke did the majority of the research on players and ultimately picked players based on his knowledge.  I am sure Urban had some influence but we will never know how much.

Despite the census, this draft class was solid.  Lawrence has franchise guy potential, Little has starter potential, Campbell looks like a Gem, Cisco looks like a baller as well.   ETN could be the marshall faulkish type player with the duo threat.  A solid B at the least.

Baalke being the man goes into this off season with some aggressive moves in free agency. 

1. In the 3-4 Myles Jack is a major liability.  Truth be told he has been average at best since that 2017 season.  Jack wasn't down but his cap wasn't worth the production.  Good move cutting ties.

2. Franchise tag if a long term deal is worked out.   I was against franchising Robinson because it's a rental then we go into next season with a strapped salary cap needing a LT.  I have read reports they are working on a longer deal with Cam.  If they can get a few years of stability at LT then good move.  Little could take that spot but I need to see a bigger sample size.

3.  Reports are Linder is either retiring or being released.  Linder is a good player when healthy.  As Bill Parcells says, "the best ability is availability."   Linder just can't be counted on to make it an entire season.  The head scratcher is we just got Scherff who has the same circumstances.   Hard choice to let him go but I think it's the correct one. 

4. This Free Agent class overall was good.  Arguement could be made we over paid but as the bottom feeders I believe we had too.  People keep harping on the Kirk $20 million dollar deal but there were reports other teams where offering $17 million plus so we were not that far off.   Getting the Lead leader in tacking combined with an athletic tight end we can pair with Arnold I believe this team really got better this offseason. 

I was on the Clown show wanting Baalke fired but I would happily eat crow if this team turns things around.  Both sides of the ball have seen improvement before the draft.

Maybe. It's hard to do a good job when surrounded by dysfunction. And granted, Baalke's past seems to indicate that he was the source of a lot of it in jobs past. Let's see how the 2021 draft develops and how the 2022 draft looks. So far, he seems to be working well with Pedersen. People can change, even when the majority don't think so. It would be a great story, rehabbing your own personal image while helping to build a perpetual loser into a winner. That's what I'm hoping for.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Sometimes people change. Or it could be that he's changing out of necessity because Pederson isn't going to take any BS and has a much longer leash as the new guy. It will be Baalke's turn to be the scapegoat if next season is equally dismal.  

So far, his personnel moves haven't been bad. I was against him because I thought he was the one promoting Urban to Shad in the first place. Now it looks like that was Shad's big idea.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(03-21-2022, 01:59 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I am sticking to his time here as the Jaguars.  His time in SF could be looked at several ways.

I don't think we have.  It's possible that he's learned from a lot of his mistakes, and this is his last chance for a significant position in his field.  However, he was front-and-center at the core of several consecutive toxic environments and should have been removed with the rest of the mess.

Kahn loves the guy and insists on giving him one last chance to prove himself in spite of all the diatribe against Baalke.  Probably just a promise Kahn refuses to break as much as anything.

I certainly hope Baalke has learned from his past and these moves turn out to be the best we could hope for.  I'm all for Baalke being great if it means the team finds relevance again.  I'll probably have a hard time giving him too much credit until he manages to do it on a consistent basis though.

Nope. We have been too light on him.

Definitely not. Baalke is a weasel, and weasels don't change. Any improvements we've seen in this year's free agency comes from Pederson, I believe.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

This fan base has battered fan syndrome. My memory is long so hell no. It isn't hard to spend other people's money. Would I be shocked that Khan is the common thread of all problems Jaguars? No.. but come on.

Trading away Henderson was also a great move by Baalke, if we are listing his good moves.

Go to the Political Section and, if you compare the 2, you'll notice that there is a lot more hatred for Baalke than there is for Putin as it relates to some of the members on this message board.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2022, 03:50 PM by rpr52121.)

While it is definitely true that Baalke could have made some very good moves in the past year and may have learned from past failures particularly in San Fran, the issue is that he had so many past failures and such a poor reputation that many coaching hires balked at worked with Baalke. Also, there is currently a league-wide conversation of why some guys get so many 2nd/3rd/4th chances and many don't even get their foot in the door.

It just made way more sense in that situation to cut ties, and start anew. Sure, the end result may work out, but the process to get there was laughable and deserves all the due criticism this board has thrown at it.

Baalke had his back against the wall going into this off season. The fanbase called for his head. The local and mainstream media were also questioning as to why his job remained intact.

He entered free agency with a big fat basell bat with dollar signs all over it and he came out swinging. Good for him. We can say it's Pederson this or Khan that.

Ultimately. He has to scout. He has to evaulate. He has to pick up the phone or send out the emails. He's done his job so far this month.

Now, he'll have next month to keep adding onto what he's done. As long as he doesn't reach too early and he's landing four starters at 1, 33, 65 and 70. I think he's done enough to divert the attention away from himself.

It'll fall on Lawrence and Pederson over the next two years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-21-2022, 03:07 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Go to the Political Section and, if you compare the 2, you'll notice that there is a lot more hatred for Baalke than there is for Putin as it relates to some of the members on this message board.

LOL, you could probably throw in Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Mao, Trump, Hillary/Bill and it still wouldn't equal the Baalke hate.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-21-2022, 04:50 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 03:07 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Go to the Political Section and, if you compare the 2, you'll notice that there is a lot more hatred for Baalke than there is for Putin as it relates to some of the members on this message board.

LOL, you could probably throw in Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Mao, Trump, Hillary/Bill and it still wouldn't equal the Baalke hate.

No, not Stalin!?!

No way hosay

(03-21-2022, 04:53 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 04:50 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: LOL, you could probably throw in Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Mao, Trump, Hillary/Bill and it still wouldn't equal the Baalke hate.

No, not Stalin!?!

OMG -- hilarious on all accounts above ...

Trying to get my head around thinking Trevor Lawrence is horrendous and Baalke is good.
wow.

He did a decent job in free agency this season compared to last year. I'd Chalke most of that up to the new coaching staff having their input if I were wagering on how it went down. But that's the sum total of my positive talking points on Baalke.

(03-21-2022, 02:57 PM)Newton Wrote: Trading away Henderson was also a great move by Baalke, if we are listing his good moves.

Agreed and good point.  We got Arnold out of that pick and I like Arnold a lot.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We can always console ourselves with the fact that no matter how little we think of Baalke at any given time, Terry Fotenot is orders of magnitude worse.
[Image: giphy.gif]

No WE Have Not, but alot of you Clowns has been too hard on Baalke to say the least. Y'all have gone on his past history of the 49ers and even Baalke has said that he's learned from the past. 

Stop w/the CLOWNING and give the man a chance to prove himself. I compare it to being in an job and learning on the fly. You've learned but you don't do as well as your mind set desires. Within your next opportunity in the likewise opportunity, you admit your deficiencies, correct such deficiencies from past lessons BUT you're being judged by your previous opportunity.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"